PDA

View Full Version : Five Factors Driving Speculation On Tebow’s Future In The NFL Other Than Football

Bullgator
01-30-2011, 09:26 PM
1) Gator Nation and everyone else

Gator Nation spreads far and wide across the globe and would support a comeback of Danny Wuerffel much less their golden boy Tim Tremendous. With a fan base this large, Tim already has more support than most anyone coming out of college. Just check the jersey sales.
So, Gator homerism drives one side of this spinning coin but what about the other? How about every Gator hater fan base out there? Lets see there is Florida State, The U, UGA, Tennessee, Bama and tack on The Ohio State University for good measure. The list goes on and on. So,right off the bat both scales are unbalanced on Tebow’s future whether you are pro or anti Gator.

2) Goody two cleats

The man is a virgin for crying out loud! He spends his spring break at orphanages and leper colonies comforting the less fortunate. His only personal foul penalty involved a Gator chomp followed by a “God Bless”. This kid is almost too good to be true. Which again draws out the masses to argue his future. One side holds him up as a shining beacon to model their kids after, while the other side is waiting for the other shoe to drop. Just waiting for the day a pic turns up on the Internet of Timmy eating kitties with maple syrup. Morality is a great way to judge a person’s character, but what the heck happened to football in all of this?

3) The Media

The Media has been riding the Timmy T. Train ever since he changed state laws in Florida to play high school football as a home schooler. The ESPN special, The Chosen One, showcased Tebow as just that before he had even chosen a D-I School. The love fest continued all through out his years at Florida and to be frank all the Tebow media overdose was too much for any non Gator to handle. Conversely, there could never be enough TT news or articles to absorb to the die hard fan. The love fest abruptly stopped the day his college career ended as even the media was looking for another angle to ride that train. Tebow turned form a college hero to a WWF heel over night. I can’t even list all the analysts and commentators that have already decided that TT will never be an NFL caliber QB. Its amazing how many expert analysts have painted themselves into a corner, no way they can pull for Timbow now. So, its safe to say even the analysts have lost their objectivity. Like it or not, the media plays a huge part on what people think. The only problem is that ‘fact’ does not drive the sports media, opinions, commercials and ratings do.

4) The Chiseled Chin

To take a quote from 30Rock, the dude looks like a cartoon pilot. Women show up in wedding dresses to autograph sessions. Dudes ask him to propose to their fiances for them, I mean what woman can turn down a proposal from Tim Tebow even if its not actually him proposing? If you check his Twitter and Facebook pages you will see the vast majority of the comments left are by his largest fan base, WOMEN. They love the guy and whats not to like? He led the NFL in jersey sales even while he was riding the pine, care to guess how many XS petite jerseys were in the mix? Not to suggest women don’t know anything about football, on the contrary, but the infatuation with his chin has nothing to do with his abilities as an NFL caliber QB. In fact, the only women that may have an issue with TT is for his anti-abortion Superbowl commercial. Fine, but again what the heck does any of this have to do with football?

5) Mechanics

Whoa! Mechanics have nothing to do with football? OK maybe not nothing, but for crying out loud way too much has been made of the kid’s mechanics. Mechanics are not the end all be all of success in the NFL. There are a lot more successful QB’s in the NFL with flaws in their throwing motion than without. I think the sport you are looking for is ballet, im pretty sure mechanics are everything in ballet. Last I checked football was a game of will and guts. Last I checked football was a game of results. Last I checked Ryan Leaf had perfect mechanics. Mechanics are an ends to a means. I don’t care if my QB is throwing with his feet if he’s scoring TD’s and winning games. I mean what is this perfect throwing motion that everyone is comparing to anyway? Joe Montana? Well, I got news for you! You don’t have to be Hall of Famer Joe Montana to be considered a success in this league.

6) Conclusion

Lets all reason together. We all have our own reasons to pull for or against Tim Tebow, but lets be objective and judge this kid’s future by what he has shown so far as an NFL QB. Tebow has started three games and by all accounts, he did well for a rookie. He is 1-2 as a starter, but in my opinion with no defense, running game or head coach, he had no business winning any games. He rallied from a 17-0 deficit to beat Houston 24-23 and he was 1 throw away from coming back again against the Chargers and just fell short of another amazing comeback. He ended with the best QB rating of any rookie this year including #1 pick Sam Bradford with an 82.1 rating. He has 125 touches for 881 yards with a combined 11 TD’s and 3 turnovers. Will Tim Tebow be a Hall of Famer? Or a bust? My guess is that he will be neither, but at this point I can only speculate on the upcoming season and I believe that Tim Tebow will be a successful starting NFL QB in 2011. I am proud to say my speculation is based on Football.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-30-2011, 10:04 PM
For me - it is very simple - I want Tim to succeed because he is a Denver Bronco, and they are my team :salute:

jhildebrand
01-30-2011, 10:13 PM
The kid has grit and moxy if nothing else and if that holds true I want to see just how far that can carry him.

Personally, I think the kid will do well.

Lonestar
01-30-2011, 10:44 PM
we can do with a dose of pride and honor on our team, after the likes of *********, *********, ******, ******** and a few other no class, or losers.

turftoad
01-30-2011, 11:57 PM
we can do with a dose of pride and honor on our team, after the likes of *********, *********, ******, ******** and a few other no class, or losers.

You must mean Josh McFired and his coaching staff.

Lonestar
01-31-2011, 12:03 AM

Mope I was talking about past moron players, that were traded or cut.

I had no issues with Josh and his staff. Other than they did not have enough time to get the job done.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

atwater27
01-31-2011, 12:07 AM
mope i was talking about past moron players, that were traded or cut.

I had no issues with josh and his staff. Other than they did not have enough time to get the job done.
mobile post via mobile.broncosforums.com/forums

lmao!!!

sneakers
01-31-2011, 01:17 AM
As long as he keeps his virginity, anything is possible...after that, he loses all his powers.

OrangeHoof
01-31-2011, 03:15 AM
I had no issues with Josh and his staff.

Which proves everything you know about football. That's like a Hiroshima survivor saying "I have no problem with atomic weapons".

sneakers
01-31-2011, 03:21 AM
Which proves everything you know about football. That's like a Hiroshima survivor saying "I have no problem with atomic weapons".

Did you hear about the Japanese guy who was in Hiroshima for the atomic bombing there, and then three days later he was in Nagasaki for the second, and he survived them both.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/mar/24/nuclear-bomb-survivor-japan

Northman
01-31-2011, 05:20 AM

Indeed.

Northman
01-31-2011, 05:21 AM
If Tebow can prove to be the man than thats a good thing for the Broncos. If not, move onto someone else.

Dirk
01-31-2011, 07:15 AM
1) Gator Nation and everyone else

:welcome: to the boards!

I enjoyed your first post. And yes I actually read all of that. :lol:

Superchop 7
01-31-2011, 08:02 AM
1st soldier: What? Ridden on a horse?
King Arthur: Yes!
1st soldier: You're using coconuts!
King Arthur: What?
1st soldier: You've got two empty halves of coconut and you're bangin' 'em together.
King Arthur: So? We have ridden since the snows of winter covered this land, through the kingdom of Mercia, through...
1st soldier: Where'd you get the coconuts?
King Arthur: We found them.
1st soldier: Found them? In Mercia? The coconut's tropical!
King Arthur: What do you mean?
1st soldier: Well, this is a temperate zone
King Arthur: The swallow may fly south with the sun or the house martin or the plover may seek warmer climes in winter, yet these are not strangers to our land?
1st soldier: Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
King Arthur: Not at all. They could be carried.
1st soldier: What? A swallow carrying a coconut?
King Arthur: It could grip it by the husk!
1st soldier: It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.
King Arthur: Well, it doesn't matter. Will you go and tell your master that Arthur from the Court of Camelot is here?
1st soldier: Listen. In order to maintain air-speed velocity, a swallow needs to beat its wings forty-three times every second, right?
King Arthur: Please!
1st soldier: Am I right?

Foochacho
01-31-2011, 10:53 AM
Josh McFired.

Who?

vandammage13
01-31-2011, 11:11 AM
As long as he keeps his virginity, anything is possible...after that, he loses all his powers.

To quote Mick from Rocky..."Women weaken the knees!"

shank
01-31-2011, 12:01 PM
Did you hear about the Japanese guy who was in Hiroshima for the atomic bombing there, and then three days later he was in Nagasaki for the second, and he survived them both.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/mar/24/nuclear-bomb-survivor-japan

http://geektyrant.com/storage/page-images/unbreakable3.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=128348 9376128

Foochacho
01-31-2011, 12:35 PM
^^^ Shouldn't that b a pic of bruce willis? You are showing the frail guy.

jhildebrand
01-31-2011, 12:49 PM
Mope I was talking about past moron players, that were traded or cut.

I had no issues with Josh and his staff. Other than they did not have enough time to get the job done.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

I know I will regret this.

BUT can you, you personally, honestly say you have no problems with a guy who had a history of cheating caught cheating the exact same way again? You don't have a problem with a guy who was openly insubordinate with the owner?

underrated29
01-31-2011, 01:12 PM
1st soldier: What? Ridden on a horse?
King Arthur: Yes!
1st soldier: You're using coconuts!
King Arthur: What?
1st soldier: You've got two empty halves of coconut and you're bangin' 'em together.
King Arthur: So? We have ridden since the snows of winter covered this land, through the kingdom of Mercia, through...
1st soldier: Where'd you get the coconuts?
King Arthur: We found them.
1st soldier: Found them? In Mercia? The coconut's tropical!
King Arthur: What do you mean?
1st soldier: Well, this is a temperate zone
King Arthur: The swallow may fly south with the sun or the house martin or the plover may seek warmer climes in winter, yet these are not strangers to our land?
1st soldier: Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
King Arthur: Not at all. They could be carried.
1st soldier: What? A swallow carrying a coconut?
King Arthur: It could grip it by the husk!
1st soldier: It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.
King Arthur: Well, it doesn't matter. Will you go and tell your master that Arthur from the Court of Camelot is here?
1st soldier: Listen. In order to maintain air-speed velocity, a swallow needs to beat its wings forty-three times every second, right?
King Arthur: Please!
1st soldier: Am I right?

What if two swallows carried the coconut?

(Now I want to go watch this movie)

Bullgator
01-31-2011, 02:14 PM
:welcome: to the boards!

I enjoyed your first post. And yes I actually read all of that. :lol:

lol Thank you, good to be on board. I hope i didn't make your eyes bleed!

Cugel
01-31-2011, 04:03 PM
Guard: "An AFRICAN swallow, maybe, but not a European swallow. That's what I'm saying!" :beer:

Superchop 7
02-01-2011, 03:46 AM
Estimating the Airspeed Velocity of an Unladen Swallow
Hashing out the classic question with Strouhal numbers and simplified flight waveforms.
After spending some time last month trying to develop alternate graphic presentations for kinematic ratios in winged flight, I decided to try to answer one of the timeless questions of science: just what is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

What do you mean, an African or European Swallow?To begin with, I needed basic kinematic data on African and European swallow species.

South African Swallow
(Hirundo spilodera) European Swallow
(Hirundo rustica)
Although 47 of the 74 worldwide swallow species are found in Africa,1 only two species are named after the continent: the West African Swallow (Hirundo domicella) and the South African Swallow (Hirundo spilodera), also known as the South African Cave Swallow.

Since the range of the South African Swallow extends only as far north as Zaire,2 I felt fairly confident that this was the non-migratory African species referred to in previous discussions of the comparative and cooperative weight-bearing capabilities of African and European swallows.3

Kinematic data for both African species was difficult to find, but the Barn or European Swallow (Hirundo rustica) has been studied intensively, and kinematic data for that species was readily available.

It’s a simple question of weight ratiosA 54-year survey of 26,285 European Swallows captured and released by the Avian Demography Unit of the University of Capetown finds that the average adult European swallow has a wing length of 12.2 cm and a body mass of 20.3 grams.4

Because wing beat frequency and wing amplitude both scale with body mass,5 and flight kinematic data is available for at least 22 other bird species,6 it should be possible to estimate the frequency (f ) and amplitude (A) of the European Swallow by a comparison with similar species. With those two numbers, it will be possible to estimate airspeed (U).

In order to maintain airspeed velocity, a swallow needs to beat its wings forty-three times every second, right?Actually, wrong. By comparing the European Swallow with bird species of similar body mass, we can estimate that the swallow beats its wings 18 times a second with an amplitude of 18 cm:

Species Body mass Frequency Amplitude
Zebra Finch 13 g 27 Hz 11 cm
European Swallow 20 g ≈ 18 Hz? ≈ 18 cm?
Downy Woodpecker 27 g 14 Hz 29 cm
Budgerigar 34 g 14 Hz 15 cm

Note that even the tiny Zebra Finch flaps its wings no more than 27 times a second while cruising.

If we ignore body mass and look only at bird species with a similar wingspan, we can estimate an average frequency of 14 beats per second and an amplitude of 23 cm:

Species Wingspan Frequency Amplitude
Budgerigar 27 cm 14 Hz 15 cm
European Swallow ≈ 28–30 cm ≈ 14 Hz? ≈ 23 cm?
Downy Woodpecker 31 cm 14 Hz 29 cm
European Starling 35 cm 14 Hz 26 cm

By averaging all 6 values, we can estimate that an average European Swallow flies at cruising speed with a frequency of roughly 15 beats per second, and an amplitude of roughly 22 cm.

LSIGRAD09
02-01-2011, 09:16 AM
Tebow's going to prove people wrong. Haters are his motivators.:cool: