PDA

View Full Version : Klis: Defense, running ball go together

Denver Native (Carol)
01-30-2011, 05:00 PM
According to my unpatented for- mula, the best pure defenses in the NFL this season belonged to, in order, the Green Bay Packers, New Orleans Saints and Chicago Bears.

My formula also suggests that the Broncos' defense will improve from No. 32 (the NFL's worst) in 2010 to somewhere in the middle of the pack in 2011.

My formula is written off this edict: Show me a good defense and I'll show you a team that runs the ball.

"It's not a coincidence, that's usually how it goes — good defenses and running offenses usually go together. Not only do you give the defense time (on the sideline), but it helps make you successful in the long run by keeping you fresh throughout the season," said Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey, who is going to his record 10th Pro Bowl.

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17239017

I Eat Staples
01-30-2011, 05:07 PM
That's definitely true, but what exactly is the basis for those defenses being the best? The Saints defense is awful, and the Packers and Saints aren't running teams.

Steelers, Jets, and Ravens come to mind for me. Physical, defensive teams that run the ball well.

spikerman
01-30-2011, 05:14 PM
Scariest line of the entire article:
Tebow accounted for 53 percent of the team's rushing yardage in those final three games.

If that trend continues next year Denver will be in trouble.

topscribe
01-30-2011, 05:15 PM
That's definitely true, but what exactly is the basis for those defenses being the best? The Saints defense is awful, and the Packers and Saints aren't running teams.

Steelers, Jets, and Ravens come to mind for me. Physical, defensive teams that run the ball well.

I believe Mike Klis fell flat on his face with this article. Douglas Lee, in his
piece "Running Fools Lard (http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/the-daily-lard-1-30-11)," in the It's All Over, Fat Man! blog, responded to
Klis' article and summarily tore it apart.

I do believe a running game helps a QB and defense dramatically, but Klis
presented a poor case for it, IMO . . .

-----

Lonestar
01-30-2011, 07:08 PM
I do not believe that you have to have a strong or run first mentality.

I do believe it is nice to have a running game. But folks this is becoming more and more a passing NFL.
Almost every rule that is passed is to promote passing.

Running is to keep the DL honest. And kill time when you have the lead.
to be serviceable in bad weather.
Beyond that it is a passing game league.

Nothing more boring than run run run.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Dreadnought
01-30-2011, 07:27 PM
Its also a chicken-egg thing. Often times its also the case that teams will have a high percentage of running plays because they are winning. Stats can tell odd stories if you ignore context. the '98 Broncos gave up few rushing yards, but in large part its because we buried opponents so quickly they had to quit running - ours was an OK - above average run defense, but by no means a brick wall back then.

I'll agree that a run-run-run offense is boring as Hell to watch, but I'd qualify that by saying a dink n' dunk passing attack is even worse to watch. Short passing cannot ever substitute for a plausible running game. The key is to run well and often enough to make play action work, and then capitalize on play action to kill via medium to long range strikes. Bubble screens and hitches won't get it done

Juriga72
01-30-2011, 07:28 PM
Well... for sure ONE thing our run game needs is to hold ONTO the damn ball....

We were T-4th in fumbles "By running backs"... So I guess Mcd taught us something

rcsodak
01-30-2011, 11:32 PM

I was thinking along the same lines.....until I read the article. Leave it to Klis to muddy the waters even more.....

atwater27
01-31-2011, 12:09 AM
I do not believe that you have to have a strong or run first mentality.

Nothing more boring than run run run.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Terrell Davis disagrees.