PDA

View Full Version : The greatest NFL safeties of all time

Denver Native (Carol)
01-28-2011, 04:29 PM
So, this article on yahoo sports has Steve Atwater as the #8 greatest NFL safety of all time - SO - WHY IS STEVE NOT IN THE HOF, OR EVEN NEVER ONE OF THE FINALISTS :mad: :tsk:

In NFL defensive football, an elite safety is the ultimate enforcer, whose three-fold mission remains to deliver punishment, force turnovers, and serve as the last line of defense to prevent the big play. In other words, the NFL safety is best described as a stark, raving lunatic. At defensive back, every snap is a do or die scenario—where the safety man can either jump what appears to be a swing pass out in the flat for a loss, or get burnt deep on a wheel route for a 65-yard touch down.

full article - and write up on Steve http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ycn-7710308

chazoe60
01-28-2011, 04:31 PM
Atwater no doubt belongs in the HOF. But, he's gotta overcome being a Bronco, that's a big disadvantage apparently in the HOF voters minds.

topscribe
01-28-2011, 04:33 PM
It's kind of ironic, isn't it, that Atwater has not been seriously considered for the HOF?

We know Dawkins will . . . but then, perhaps Dawkins should be in that list . . .

-----

SOCALORADO.
01-28-2011, 05:24 PM
Yeah, i dont get that. Atwater is pretty much on every top 10 Safety list, and hes made some of the most devastaing hits of all time.
Someone should start a website and a petition. Like the Orange Jerseys.

Juriga72
01-28-2011, 05:46 PM
Hate to say it.... BUT.... Lets get Randy in BEFORE we go all gaga over "Steve not being in the HOF".....

IMHO THATS a much bigger crime

In the early 90's I went to a Jack Lambert/ Jack Ham coaching clinic and when asked "Who's the best LB they played with in their careers" BOTH said Randy G was

Northman
01-28-2011, 05:49 PM
I ask that myself all the time Carol. They just hate Denver players for whatever reason. But put on a Steeler or Cowboy hat and your automatically in even if your a waterboy.

Northman
01-28-2011, 05:51 PM
Hate to say it.... BUT.... Lets get Randy in BEFORE we go all gaga over "Steve not being in the HOF".....

IMHO THATS a much bigger crime

In the early 90's I went to a Jack Lambert/ Jack Ham coaching clinic and when asked "Who's the best LB they played with in their careers" BOTH said Randy G was

Well, great points but this isnt about Randy bro. :D

Juriga72
01-28-2011, 05:56 PM
Well, great points but this isnt about Randy bro. :D

True.... But he's been waiting much more time....

PLus.. When was the last time you ever saw Randy get ANY press? So before we start a "Steve Atwater to the HALL or die"... Lets get Randy in

Northman
01-28-2011, 06:23 PM
True.... But he's been waiting much more time....

PLus.. When was the last time you ever saw Randy get ANY press? So before we start a "Steve Atwater to the HALL or die"... Lets get Randy in

I say get them both. Im a huge Atwater fan but i could sit here all day and talk about Bronco players that should get in. Randy should for sure, but ill back Atwater more than Randy just because Steve was more of my generation than Randy was.

topscribe
01-28-2011, 06:30 PM
I say get them both. Im a huge Atwater fan but i could sit here all day and talk about Bronco players that should get in. Randy should for sure, but ill back Atwater more than Randy just because Steve was more of my generation than Randy was.

Well, I did see Randy his entire career. You know what I think of him? This
may or may not be somewhat orange-colored, but I would rate him third all-
time behind Dick Butkus and Ray Nitschke.

But you're right . . . this is about Atwater. :focus:

-----

Juriga72
01-28-2011, 06:48 PM
time behind Dick Butkus and Ray Nitschke.But you're right . . . this is about Atwater. :focus:

-----

All I was saying....lol
LOVE Atwater..... loved his heart. BUT before he should be allowed a sniff of the HOF... OTHER Bronco's need to get in first.

Atwater should be on the final selection list.....

hotcarl
01-28-2011, 07:08 PM
yeah lets make a case for the hall of fame based on a subjective "top ten" compiled by a yahoo content provider using a cheap "journalist" gimmick to make deadline because they are getting drunk at the pro bowl on the company dime :rolleyes:

dennis smith was pretty good too

hotcarl
01-28-2011, 07:10 PM
oh, nevermind, his credentials check out:

"This article was produced by a member of the Yahoo! Contributor Network, where users like you are published on Yahoo!"'

i retract my statement, its a ten year old in his parents basement

rationalfan
01-29-2011, 11:23 AM
i realize it's kind of a BS list, but i can't give credibility to any "best safeties" list that doesn't rank ed reed at number one or two. he's one of the best PLAYERS i've ever watched. ray lewis gets most of the publicity for that ravens defense but ed reed seems to affect more games than lewis does.

as for atwater, loved watching him play but i don't think he's a hall of famer. one dimensional players shouldn't be in the hall. just my opinion.

Juriga72
01-29-2011, 12:46 PM
Hmmmm a "All Time Greatest Safety list" without one mention of John Lynch

atwater27
01-29-2011, 01:08 PM
I don't think the H.O.F. likes safeties very much.

chazoe60
01-29-2011, 01:14 PM
time behind Dick Butkus and Ray Nitschke.

But you're right . . . this is about Atwater. :focus:

-----

I respect your opinion Top, but Ray Lewis is the best MLB ever. But hey, fourth best ever is still damn good. I didn't get to watch Gradishar, not that I remember anyway, but I have seen enough footage and read enough to know he damn sure belongs in the HOF. Just like Tomstone, Tom Jackson, Rod Smith, TD, Nalen, and the numerous other great players who will probably be snubbed by the idiots who vote for the HOF.

Juriga72
01-29-2011, 01:22 PM
I don't think the H.O.F. likes safeties very much.

I don't think the HOF likes Broncos very much....

slim
01-29-2011, 01:56 PM
You tried, baby!

slim
01-29-2011, 02:00 PM
sWtSUgLm_Oo