PDA

View Full Version : bronco's ''D'' must not be to bad as everyone's saying

broncos9697
09-22-2008, 09:54 AM
yes the broncos are 3-0 but I hear a lot of nagging about the broncos def,that it really sucks it's not to bad because we are putting up the points against other teams def.so whats that saying they are worse then us on ''d''..............
And the way I see it is a win is a win it could be 45-10 its a win or like we have been doing 35-33 its a win its all the same in the books.....give them a break lets take the win and give the credit to the broncos and the coaching staff....lets enjoy and not nag.:beer:

CoachChaz
09-22-2008, 09:55 AM
yes the broncos are 3-0 but I hear a lot of nagging about the broncos def,that it really sucks it's not to bad because we are putting up the points against other teams def.so whats that saying they are worse then us on ''d''..............
And the way I see it is a win is a win it could be 45-10 its a win or like we have been doing 35-33 its a win its all the same in the books.....give them a break lets take the win and give the credit to the broncos and the coaching staff....lets enjoy and not nag.:beer:

We're just preparing for the inevitable azz whipping that will ensue one day when the offense isnt clicking quite so well.

NightTrainLayne
09-22-2008, 09:56 AM
We're one missed call and one missed field-goal away from being 1-2, with the Raiders and Chargers tied for 1st in the division.

If you don't complain about the defense now, when would be a good time?

Day1BroncoFan
09-22-2008, 09:57 AM
IIRC our D has given up almost 800 yards and 70 points in the last two games and we're supposed to be happy about that. That's not the way championships are won.

broncos9697
09-22-2008, 09:58 AM
ya 2 calls away from being 1-2 but are we...
every team will have there days where the off is not clicking.But we have not had one yet,And we might not...

BigDaddyBronco
09-22-2008, 09:58 AM
Seems to me that a trip to KC could help our defense players confidence a little. Stop the run and they should do well.

broncofaninfla
09-22-2008, 09:59 AM

I hate negative talk too and I am happy we are 3-0 BUT this defense as it stands right now is going to break our hearts this season. We have a Super Bowl caliber offense BUT we will lose the games that count down the stretch if our defense doesn't get better.

ApaOps5
09-22-2008, 10:00 AM
The Offense can't stay on pace to average 38 points per game. The defense is so bad that eventually Denver will run into teams with a good Defense and it won't be pretty.

broncos9697
09-22-2008, 10:00 AM
IIRC our D has given up almost 800 yards and 70 points in the last two games and we're supposed to be happy about that. That's not the way championships are won.

thats fine we are 3-0 the def will start to click,We have the players and just need to switch it up alittle which we will...I bet the raiders,chefs and chargers are wishing they were 3-0 but there not ''the broncos are''

broncos9697
09-22-2008, 10:02 AM
The Offense can't stay on pace to average 38 points per game. The defense is so bad that eventually Denver will run into teams with a good Defense and it won't be pretty.

I am sure we will step into a spot where the other teams def will stop us,but that might be the game our d steps up also..

ApaOps5
We do not have the players on defense. There is not one DL player that would start on a team with playoff aspirations.

Bates is so desperate he utilized the 3-4 defense yesterday. But he forgot one key aspect about the 3-4 you have to blitz.

NightTrainLayne
thats fine we are 3-0 the def will start to click,We have the players and just need to switch it up alittle which we will...I bet the raiders,chefs and chargers are wishing they were 3-0 but there not ''the broncos are''

Yes. I am seriously glad to be the absolute worst 3-0 team in the league.

I'll take it every year, but I hope that by the end of the season we aren't still the "worst of the best".

CoachChaz
09-22-2008, 10:06 AM

What players are you referring to?

broncos9697
09-22-2008, 10:07 AM
We do not have the players on defense. There is not one DL player that would start on a team with playoff aspirations.

Bates is so desperate he utilized the 3-4 defense yesterday. But he forgot one key aspect about the 3-4 you have to blitz.

ya I caught that yesterday also 3-4 with no blitz...
I really dont know what he was doing...but it did throw them off alittle...

Day1BroncoFan
09-22-2008, 10:14 AM

I'm happy we're 3-0 but this defense won't win the super bowl the way they're playing right now which is what we all want.

underrated29
09-22-2008, 10:15 AM
We're one missed call and one missed field-goal away from being 1-2, with the Raiders and Chargers tied for 1st in the division.

Baloney.

We are one missed call away, yes. But NOT one missed Field goal. Had martin made that field goal. We would have had what? TWO full minutes to move the ball down the field to praters range to make a field goal? Thats like moving the ball a total of 40 yards in 2 minutes.

We have seen Jay and Co get the ball in the endzone in under 2 minutes. Had Gramatica made that field goal, we still would have won the game. I have absolutely ZERO doubt in my mind.

MOtorboat
09-22-2008, 10:17 AM
ya I caught that yesterday also 3-4 with no blitz...
I really dont know what he was doing...but it did throw them off alittle...

I don't think there was a whole lot of 3-4 practices going on at all yesterday. 3-3-5, or 3-2-6 more like it...

Which, clearly didn't work.

MOtorboat
09-22-2008, 10:18 AM
Baloney.

We are one missed call away, yes. But NOT one missed Field goal. Had martin made that field goal. We would have had what? TWO full minutes to move the ball down the field to praters range to make a field goal? Thats like moving the ball a total of 40 yards in 2 minutes.

We have seen Jay and Co get the ball in the endzone in under 2 minutes. Had Gramatica made that field goal, we still would have won the game. I have absolutely ZERO doubt in my mind.

He missed two field goals and they had fourth and goal-to-go and got stopped. I consider us pretty lucky to get out of that game with a win.

ApaOps5
09-22-2008, 10:19 AM
I don't think there was a whole lot of 3-4 practices going on at all yesterday. 3-3-5, or 3-2-6 more like it...

Which, clearly didn't work.

Good point, they enlisted the 3 part of the 3-4 but it was pathetic.

underrated29
09-22-2008, 10:20 AM
He missed two field goals and they had fourth and goal-to-go and got stopped. I consider us pretty lucky to get out of that game with a win.

Yes we also missed on a 3rd and goal Fumble, gave them 2 pts from a stupid Saftey call (our play call, not refs). We also on our last drive went to kill the clock and play it safe instead of being freaking agressive and getting the first down.

I really wish we would utilize the HB screen. The way the teams defense is all backed up to defend our pass a nice HB screen i think could eat up some big yards.

eessydo
09-22-2008, 10:23 AM

Not sure how comparing the defense of other teams that we have played this season has any bearing on the fact that our defense is obviously HORRIBLE.

I guess we should say, good job putting 30+ points on the board offense, and defense good job allowing 30+ points and helping us get the win???

Come on dude, what kind of a statement is that.

Day1BroncoFan
09-22-2008, 10:24 AM
Yes we also missed on a 3rd and goal Fumble, gave them 2 pts from a stupid Saftey call (our play call, not refs). We also on our last drive went to kill the clock and play it safe instead of being freaking agressive and getting the first down.

I really wish we would utilize the HB screen. The way the teams defense is all backed up to defend our pass a nice HB screen i think could eat up some big yards.

I don't see this as an argument as to why we won but rather more luck that we didn't lose.

OB
09-22-2008, 10:24 AM
Please our defense stinks like a septic tank that hasnt been pumped in 50 years

And i think its starting to show its effects on our Offense, ie yesterday - how long do you think they can stay on the field before they start wearing down - could that be one of the reasons we score all of our point (or most) of them in the first half -

Havent checked the stats but i would love to know how much time our O has been on the field (also 1st half v 2nd half)

I couldnt see the game so i cant tell who sucked ass and who played decent - stats wise it looks like DJ had a great day and thats about it

I heard (through the game day thread) champ wasnt on his game again - is it because he is our only decent player on secondary?

And why do we still have Paymuh - again didnt see the game - but how many times was he burned?

The old adage - Defense wins championships - its not as true as it once was but I know this much if you dont have a half way decent D - it wont matter down the stretch how powerful an offense we have

CoachChaz
09-22-2008, 10:25 AM

Both teams made mistakes that could have netted a win or blew a win. The difference is the game was really close at the end. A game against a team missing 2 of it's best offensive weapons. A team with a defense actually worse than ours. A team that really isnt in the same class as us.

broncos9697
09-22-2008, 10:27 AM

thats are ''d'' for ya...came up big in the spot we needed them to....

CoachChaz
09-22-2008, 10:28 AM
I think NO blew the goal line opportunity because they werent use to only having 11 yards to work with.

broncos9697
09-22-2008, 10:29 AM
Not sure how comparing the defense of other teams that we have played this season has any bearing on the fact that our defense is obviously HORRIBLE.

I guess we should say, good job putting 30+ points on the board offense, and defense good job allowing 30+ points and helping us get the win???

Come on dude, what kind of a statement is that.

As said a win is a win 3-0...who cares how close the games were and about the def...we WON

CoachChaz
09-22-2008, 10:31 AM
As said a win is a win 3-0...who cares how close the games were and about the def...we WON

Can you understand that we're not concerned with the 3 we've won, but moreso with quite a few of the remaining 13?

ApaOps5
09-22-2008, 10:32 AM

Because this is a 16 game season and the defense is that bad this could end up being a 9-7 or 8-8 season if anything happens to this offense.

OB
09-22-2008, 10:33 AM

No one is saying they arent happy we WON them - we are trying to be realistic and down to earth - and realize we could VERY easily be 1-2 right now

IF we lose against the lowly chiefs this weekend - i will have to come to Denver and throw rotten eggs at Slowdick

Rick
09-22-2008, 10:34 AM

The 'O' right now is awsome there is no doubt and they may never slow down. Teams in the past such as the Rams went to the superbowl with a terrible 'D' and a great 'O'...

...But...

It is much more often that a great 'D' Will beat out a great 'O'. Take a look at the Giants last year beating out the unstoppable Patriots scoring attack that was moving at will against everyone.

And saying the 'D' will eventually click, God I hope so but to be real i was hoping for that ALL of last year and it just never happened so no real reason to suspect it will click this year either.

ambiguous

That's fine, but prepare yourself for some losses - because unless things change DRASTICALLY on D they are indefinitely on their way.

eessydo

Thank god you are not the coach then. If a W is your only goal every week then they will quickly start turning to L's. We need improvement on defense to get more of those W's, and that is the bottom line.

CoachChaz
09-22-2008, 10:36 AM
The only bonus we have is that we really dont face any offensive juggernauts this season. However, we do face some solid defenses and if we cant score 40...we're screwed...regardless of the level of offense we play

broncos9697
09-22-2008, 10:36 AM
Can you understand that we're not concerned with the 3 we've won, but moreso with quite a few of the remaining 13?

yes, I understand what your saying our def is not even sub-par or even close and our off.is clicking on every tick right now,But they will get tired and wont preform this way every week..
our def needs to step up or it could get nasty through out the season....but right now we need to be happy for the broncos and all of us fans.....

broncos9697
09-22-2008, 10:38 AM
Thank god you are not the coach then. If a W is your only goal every week then they will quickly start turning to L's. We need improvement on defense to get more of those W's, and that is the bottom line.

yes we do need improvement lots of it on the def side...
but you said if thats all we think about is a win ''well fans and coaches all do that is the very main goal ''win''...:coffee:

eessydo
09-22-2008, 10:43 AM
yes we do need improvement lots of it on the def side...
but you said if thats all we think about is a win ''well fans and coaches all do that is the very main goal ''win''...:coffee:

Well it appears you are giving the defense a pass because they one, and we should congratulate the coaches (<--that means everyone) on a job well done. I have no problem congratulating the offense, but no kudos to the defense. Had they stood there ground a couple more times we could have put the game out of reach.

So, while the goal is to win, you can't tell everyone they did a good job and not address a serious issue, which is our defense. That is how W's move to L's very quickly.

CoachChaz
09-22-2008, 10:43 AM
yes, I understand what your saying our def is not even sub-par or even close and our off.is clicking on every tick right now,But they will get tired and wont preform this way every week..
our def needs to step up or it could get nasty through out the season....but right now we need to be happy for the broncos and all of us fans.....

I can assure you that there isnt one of us that isnt happy that we're 3-0. However, we are all VERY much concerned about the fact that we could be 4-3 going into the bye week based on our defensive play. Then look at the last 3 games that matter ALOT before the playoffs. When we need wins to secure a spot, we have Carolina, Buffalo and SD. Not very appealing

Kaylore
09-22-2008, 11:05 AM
and one missed field-goal away from being 1-2,
Why do people keep saying this? Even if he makes that field goal, the Broncos get the ball back with 2 minutes. This team could easily get into field goal range. In two minutes.

ApaOps5
09-22-2008, 11:08 AM
Why do people keep saying this? Even if he makes that field goal, the Broncos get the ball back with 2 minutes. This team could easily get into field goal range. In two minutes.

I agree, the best thing could have done is kick the FG when they did. It would take 1 pass to Marshall who was clearly abusing his corner and they would be in FG position. I was almost dissapointed I wanted to see how Prater did with real pressure!

hamrob
09-22-2008, 11:11 AM
This pathetic defense is going to be ranked last in the league after the stats go up. We're winning despite our defense! Yes, they scored a TD and yes they had a goal line stand. Yay! But drew Brees went 39-48 passing...how the hell do you do that? I know...you play the Broncos!

Kaylore
09-22-2008, 11:12 AM
I do agree that something's got to give here. At some point either the defense is going to get better and bring the points down or the bubble will "pop" and the offense will struggle in a game that we get lit up. The Chiefs aren't a great barometer. Their offense is horrible and their coaching is garbage. They have a defense that can make some stops but after seeing a "rebuilding" Atlanta team eat them for breakfast, I don't think they're the test.

I bet you the bucs are the team that gives us some trouble. Griese would love to beat us and they have the defense to make us work for it. That game will be a big challenge even at home.

OB
09-22-2008, 11:15 AM

Thats a gigantic assumption - how many points did the offense score in the 2nd half against SD? (8) How many against NO - (Im trying to find it)

Category
Broncos Saints
Score 34 32
Rushing Yards
105 88
Passing Yards
264 414
Total Yards 369 502

T.O.P 27:12 32:48

hamrob
09-22-2008, 11:42 AM
Thats a gigantic assumption - how many points did the offense score in the 2nd half against SD? (8) How many against NO - (Im trying to find it)

Category
Broncos Saints
Score 34 32
Rushing Yards
105 88
Passing Yards
264 414
Total Yards 369 502

T.O.P 27:12 32:48Excellent point...which tells you something else about our team. They gameplan well for the 1st half...then they blow their load...and struggle in the second half. They need to figure out how to attack a team in the 2nd half the way they approach the beginning of a game.

WhatEver!!!
09-22-2008, 11:43 AM
I love the fact that we are winning the games. 1-2 as some say; well, we still needed to score and convert a 2 pointer to win one, a kicker is part the team. Elam won many games for us. Do we take those wins away because our kicker made the fieldgoal, NO. We won those games because we had a good kicker, the Saints lost because they do not.

The aspect I hate is our pass defense. Our corners are very good but even Leaf could have a 300 yrd game if he would sit in the pocket that long. We are ahead by 20 yet we still do not blitz the crap out of them?? Everydown is a passing down when you are down by 20.

Take some chances when you are up.

KCL
09-22-2008, 12:36 PM
Seems to me that a trip to KC could help our defense players confidence a little. Stop the run and they should do well.

what run? KC has no run.Yesterday was LJ's first decent game.

girler
09-22-2008, 12:41 PM
what run? KC has no run.Yesterday was LJ's first decent game.

Hey KCL! Could you let Gonzalez know that I'd prefer he show up to the game shirtless? :D :drool: :salute: That would do me a WORLD of good.

KCL
09-22-2008, 12:42 PM
Hey KCL! Could you let Gonzalez know that I'd prefer he show up to the game shirtless? :D :drool: :salute: That would do me a WORLD of good.

You and me both sister! Guess we'll both have to settle for my sig picture!:D

NightTrainLayne
09-22-2008, 12:42 PM

I throw myself on the mercy of the court. I agree whole-heartedly that 1:55 with no timeouts is still plenty of time for our explosive offense to score.

I just don't like having to score in the final two minutes without times-out when we had an 18-point lead in the first half.

I probably shouldn't have said that, but I was trying to high-light how close we were to snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

girler
09-22-2008, 12:47 PM
I throw myself on the mercy of the court. I agree whole-heartedly that 1:55 with no timeouts is still plenty of time for our explosive offense to score.

I just don't like having to score in the final two minutes without times-out when we had an 18-point lead in the first half.

I probably shouldn't have said that, but I was trying to high-light how close we were to snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

And you call yourself a Broncos fan. :tsk:

Dreadnought
09-22-2008, 12:48 PM
The run defense is Worlds better than 2007, and the last game proved that out. Can you imagine last year's defense stopping two 3rd and 1 runs (the Webster fumble recovery was a 3rd and one, and the Saints would have failed regardless) not to mention the goal line stand? Last year's defense would have given Pierre Thomas that last 3rd and one conversion, allowed the Saints to eat the rest of the Clock, and jammed the ball into the EZ on the ground - and so removing Grammatica from the equation.

The pass defense looks flat out awful, but perhaps last years pass D was just as bad, and we didn't know it yet because opponents had big leads and were running with total ease. Two bad performances, but against an elite QB (Brees) and one who is improving (Rivers). We'll see what the future has in store. I doubt we'rte as bad as Brees made us look, and we won't be as good as Thigpen is likely to make us look.

Cugel
09-22-2008, 01:19 PM
You just can't continue to win with a defense that flat sucks. I hoped for much more from this defense after the rebuilt DL.

I haven't heard DeWayne Robertson's name all season. Is he even playing?

Marcus Thomas has made one play that I can see in 3 games. Last game he pressured Brees on one play and forced an incomplete throw. No sacks or tackles, but he made one play.

Dumervil seems to be the only DL who's done a single thing. He gets some pressure, but teams will endlessly double-team him considering there's ZERO pressure from anywhere else.

The safeties are worse than last year. Horrible shots of Manuel & McCree hopelessly chasing some WR into the endzone. They aren't covering any better than Lynch did last season!

In the Raiders game, they blew coverages, but an inexperienced QB missed wide open WRs. Against Rivers & Brees they were equally bad but those QBs didn't miss.

Right now teams looking at the video-tape must realize that they should come out in 5 WR sets and throw all day long. There is NO pass-rush, so no reason not to forget about running the ball and just sit back for 4 or 5 seconds and wait for one of your receivers to come open.

Brees did just that for 407 yards. I actually think Denver got a break from N.O. being on the goal-line. If they had been on the 6 they would have passed the ball and scored for sure because Brees could simply have stood back there counting: "one-one-thousand, two-one-thousand, three-one-thousand, four-one-thousand, five-one-thousand" until somebody came open.

If the Broncos offense continues to be great all season, there's a chance the Broncos could be like the 2006 Colts, whose defense sucked all season long, but came together just in time for the playoffs.

But, this offense is not as good as Peyton Manning's 2006 offense. And this defense may be worse than the Colts were during the regular season.

Right now the Broncos are 29th in team defense, 32nd and last in the NFL in pass-defense (315 yards a game). They are 15th, or average, against the run because nobody bothers to run on them when you can pass for huge yards all the time.

They are 30th in the league, ahead of only the winless Lions and Rams in scoring defense, having given up 84 points, or 28 points a game.

Despite all the teams passing up and down the field on them, and all the extra defenders they've tried to use to stop them, the team has 1 Int (the Champ Bailey pick that wasn't overturned because of the replay break-down).

There's just no way to sugar-coat this kind of performance.

Hopefully, they get better, because they can hardly get worse.

I would confidently expect the Chiefs to score at least 28 points against the Broncos, and once again, it will come down to the 4th quarter to see if the Broncos can hold on.

There's no reason to think the Chiefs are capable of scoring 28 points, but Damon Huard will have all day to throw. And any NFL QB can complete passes if you give him 4 seconds on every play!

This game should be a blow-out, but it won't be!

NightTrainLayne
09-28-2008, 07:42 PM

Anybody still want to argue that our offense was a shoe-in to score on that last drive?

Anybody still want to make excuses that "if you take out those 3 long runs our run D did pretty good"?

Our D is not as bad as everyone was saying. It's worse.

But even worse than that, our offense isn't as good as everyone was saying either.

A championship caliber team would have taken care of business today. Our D played as well as they can. . .isn't that sad? That was as much as we could have expected them to do with the poor field position the offense gave them.

But the offense folded. There's no excuse for the lackadaisacal approach. There's not much that can be done for the D, but if this offense wants to become a top-notch offense, they can't have days like today. It wasn't just an off-day, but painfully obvious that it was an entire bad week.

ApaOps5
09-28-2008, 07:55 PM
Anybody still want to argue that our offense was a shoe-in to score on that last drive?

Anybody still want to make excuses that "if you take out those 3 long runs our run D did pretty good"?

Our D is not as bad as everyone was saying. It's worse.

But even worse than that, our offense isn't as good as everyone was saying either.

A championship caliber team would have taken care of business today. Our D played as well as they can. . .isn't that sad? That was as much as we could have expected them to do with the poor field position the offense gave them.

But the offense folded. There's no excuse for the lackadaisacal approach. There's not much that can be done for the D, but if this offense wants to become a top-notch offense, they can't have days like today. It wasn't just an off-day, but painfully obvious that it was an entire bad week.

Whoa now every team has its bad days. Dallas lost and I wouldn't take them out of the Championship discussion.

Of course I think Denver is a possible playoff team but no where near a SB or Championship team. But one bad day playing in the stadium where they suck ass on a regular basis is far from making them overrated on offense.

Every good team has hiccups especially a young one.

MasterShake
09-28-2008, 09:04 PM
Whoa now every team has its bad days. Dallas lost and I wouldn't take them out of the Championship discussion.

Of course I think Denver is a possible playoff team but no where near a SB or Championship team. But one bad day playing in the stadium where they suck ass on a regular basis is far from making them overrated on offense.

Exactly. This loss sucks, but I am not shocked. KC wanted this more, bottom line. We've lost there in good years (2005 13-3 with a loss at Arrowhead). IF we did win, I would have thought this is one we shouldn't have. I thought our Defense was ok, but what do you do when KC starts on your side of the field pretty much the whole game? What did we do with Champs great fumble? Turn the ball over almost immediately. Without turnovers, this is a game we win but KC was out to strip everyone and it worked. Good for them for the win, they deserved it.

gobroncsnv
09-28-2008, 09:18 PM

my problem with this, though, is that our offense has most of our rookies... The D has our "experienced" players.

Lane Kiffen will soon be canned by Al Davis because the Raiders FO can't / won't get him any decent players. You could say the same thing happened to Robinson, Coyer, Bates, and now, we're running the same thing over the coals with Slowik. How many DC's will it take to get talented players? Were Cutler's int's today Bates' fault? (putting on my asbestos jump suit now)

topscribe
09-28-2008, 10:33 PM
Most here have seen Larsen's bonzai blasts on STs. Whom do we have who
hits like that? Put The Destroyer Larsen at MLB and let's see what happens.
How could he do any worse? So he's slow they say? Well then, how come
he's the first one there on coverage? We need somebody with a case of the
nasties!!

-----

BroncoTech
09-28-2008, 10:59 PM
I think the best offense and the worst defense in this league equals a crappy 8 and 8 at the end of the season. We used to be able to stop the pass now we're equally bad at both the pass and run.

I think whoever said we are in for a heartbreak from our defense nailed it. The lack of balance leads to plays where we go for 2 after a touchdown to win or lose the game.

What can Selvin Young do to help this defense? Champ was the only one showing up today everyone else could have been replaced with local baggage handlers when we roll into the airport.

:defense:

OB
09-28-2008, 11:11 PM
ya 30+ a game from our O my ass

G_Money
09-28-2008, 11:40 PM
Most here have seen Larsen's bonzai blasts on STs. Whom do we have who
hits like that? Put The Destroyer Larsen at MLB and let's see what happens.
How could he do any worse? So he's slow they say? Well then, how come
he's the first one there on coverage? We need somebody with a case of the
nasties!!

-----

Larsen hits like a truck. He also tackles, he doesn't just hit. I wouldn't mind seeing him on running downs or in zone coverage.

But until the DC stops castrating his own defense I don't know that new additions will make much difference - unless they can take on 3 guys or get to the QB all by themselves. The scheme sure won't help them.

They say players make plays, and they do, but coaches have to put them in position to make plays, and the only position our D has been in is the grab-your-ankles position. :coffee:

~G