PDA

View Full Version : Bill Williamson on Denver's 3-0 start.

Thnikkaman
09-22-2008, 09:46 AM
I found this to be a good read, and thought I would share:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest

Denver is 3-0 despite a shaky defense
September 21, 2008 11:24 PM
Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

DENVER -- The Broncos, expected to be too hampered by youth to make a real playoff push, are one of the big stories of the early NFL season at 3-0.

Their offense is dynamic, having scored 114 points. Denver's 34 points Sunday was its lowest output so far. There is plenty to be excited about in Denver.

Yet, in the winning locker room, the focus wasn't on the unbeaten record nor was it on Denver's spectacular offense. It was all on the defense.

Joe Robbins/Getty Images
While prolific on offense, cornerback Champ Bailey and the rest of the Broncos defense isn't inspiring playoff-worthy confidence.
That's what happens when you follow up a 39-38 win with a 34-32 survival. As they did last week against visiting San Diego, the Broncos' defense squandered a 21-3 lead. New Orleans never led in this game but the Broncos seemed like the team playing from behind in the second half.

Should a winning defense allow 502 yards of offense? Nothing can put a damper on a 3-0 start like a defense that has allowed almost 1,000 yards and 70 points in the past two weeks.

"It doesn't feel like we won this game," Broncos cornerback and captain Champ Bailey said. "They should have never been in this football game. We have to play better ... We need to be winning games by a lot more with the offense we have."

Like last week against San Diego, Denver was fortunate to win at all. Saints kicker Martin Gramatica missed a 43-yard field goal with 1:55 to go in the game and the Saints trailing by two points. Last week, Denver won with a two-point conversion with 24 seconds to go three plays after a controversial official's call in which San Diego should have gotten the ball on a Jay Cutler fumble.

"Sometimes, it's good to be a little lucky," Bailey said.

What is happening on offense in Denver, however, is not luck. Not even close. The Denver offense is a scoring machine. This team can make a real run if the defense doesn't implode.

The Denver defense knows where the onus falls.

"We have just start making more plays, it's as simple as that," Denver weakside linebacker D.J. Williams said. "We know how good this team can be if we start doing a better job."

After a disastrous 2007 on defense, the focus by new defensive coordinator Bob Slowik was to stop the run. Denver was 30th against the run last season.

Denver, which ran a 3-4 defense at times Sunday, is doing a better job against the run. But it is being sliced up in the passing game. Saints quarterback Drew Brees threw for 421 yards. Last week, San Diego's Philip Rivers tossed for 377 easy yards. Giving up 798 yards in the air in two games is not a recipe for NFL success. Trading stopping the run for being an air-attack sieve is a Band-Aid that is not going to last.

As silly as it sounds, though, the Denver defense did come up big in a few situations Sunday. There is reason to believe the Broncos, who are swarming to the ball better than they did last year, can turn it around.

Middle linebacker Nate Webster scored on a 34-yard fumble return. Denver had a goal-line stand at the end of the second half and on third down and 1 on Denver's 24, on the play before Gramatica's miss. Williams hammered Pierre Thomas for a one-yard loss, forcing the field-goal attempt.

"Our defense made a play when they had to," Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said.

Still, New Orleans had way too many big plays -- five of more than 20 yards.

"That's what we have to cut down, the big plays," Williams said. "We have to do that."

Should Denver give up a ton of big plays next week, it should worry. The Broncos travel to Kansas City to play the Chiefs, who have scored 32 points in three games. Kansas City's 14 points in a 38-14 loss at Atlanta on Sunday was its highest point total of the season.

There is little chance Kansas City can hang with Denver's offense. But in every Denver game, the question is: Can the Broncos' defense start taking pressure off the offense?

ApaOps5
09-22-2008, 09:52 AM
Man Burger Bill left Denver and became a good writer. Ever since he bailed DPO for ESPN his writing has been much more enjoyable.

In years past the Defense has started out strong and then lost their identity. Maybe this year they start slow and then find their identity. But man its going to take a lot of work.

Northman
09-22-2008, 11:37 AM
Shaky Defense?

bwhahahahahahahaahaha, that was funny.

Skinny
09-22-2008, 11:45 AM
If we give up a ton of big plays and yardage next week, i'll be worried fo sho. We have played two pretty good offenses in back to back weeks. Something stellar on defense against KC would be nice. Help get some positive vibes and momentum going back their way.

hamrob
09-22-2008, 12:01 PM
If we give up more than 14 points against this offense...we're in trouble. I have to give the Raiders the nodd over the Cheifs and they only got 14. Let's hope this gets up back on track.

If Greise picks us apart...well then...wouldn't that be a wonderful story!!!

Buff
09-22-2008, 12:06 PM
Man Burger Bill left Denver and became a good writer. Ever since he bailed DPO for ESPN his writing has been much more enjoyable.

In years past the Defense has started out strong and then lost their identity. Maybe this year they start slow and then find their identity. But man its going to take a lot of work.

I disagree... I still can't stand Williamson and wonder how a hack like him could a gig at ESPN.

ApaOps5
09-22-2008, 12:08 PM
I disagree... I still can't stand Williamson and wonder how a hack like him could a gig at ESPN.

You have to put it in perspective. He writes about the Broncos our beloved team we will read anything written about them. So we are stuck reading Burger Bill. Now back when it was Denver Post Bill it was horrid. He has stepped up his writing with ESPN which means his stories have become enjoyable in that they only now mildly suck.

Buff
09-22-2008, 12:14 PM
You have to put it in perspective. He writes about the Broncos our beloved team we will read anything written about them. So we are stuck reading Burger Bill. Now back when it was Denver Post Bill it was horrid. He has stepped up his writing with ESPN which means his stories have become enjoyable in that they only now mildly suck.

Well you're right, I still read him because I scour the internet all day at work looking for Broncos coverage to distract me...

But I don't see how he's improved personally. He just seems lazy to me. His posts are always brief and uninformative, his "one-liner" links to other coverage are always shorter than the other Hashmarks writers. He rarely, if ever, scoops anyone on anything... And just seems like an inferior journalist and writer in general.