PDA

View Full Version : Q&A With Brian Xanders

Denver Native (Carol)
01-27-2011, 03:52 PM
Back from a trip to Mobile, Ala., to watch Senior Bowl practices, General Manager Brian Xanders sat down with DenverBroncos.com to discuss getting the coaching staff together for the first time, the next step in the scouting process and how the draft board looks.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/QA-With-Brian-Xanders/dd7e98e7-d61b-4694-89df-97eaf5e64ea7

BroncoStud
01-27-2011, 11:39 PM
I would like to ask Xanders why he sat by as Josh McDumbshit traded away talent and replaced it with bums, or why he sat there and watched Josh make so many horrible decisions...

I'm guessing that it was ALL Josh's fault.

dogfish
01-28-2011, 04:56 AM
I would like to ask Xanders why he sat by as Josh McDumbshit traded away talent and replaced it with bums, or why he sat there and watched Josh make so many horrible decisions...

no point asking him, i heard an interview with him on 104.3-- they asked him a polite version of that, and his answer was just as predictably evasive as you'd expect. . . the whole interview was blatant coachspeak, worse than shanahan even-- which says a lot. . .

piled whatever blame he could on mcdaniels, never owned one iota for himself, and pretty much talked up his role any time he could. . .

he wasn't involved with the hillis decision, but he made sure to talk at length about meeting with tebow. . .

funny, he didn't bring up visiting alphonso smith or richard quinn-- really talked up his own role in the tebow evaluation process, though. . .

i guess he was really central to that one. . .

:rolleyes:

just sounded like the greasy politician you'd expect. . .

we'll see. . . elway said right up front that xanders wouldn't be able to hide, or something to that effect. . . we'll see what he can do as the "real GM"-- if he botches this utterly crucial off-season, with all the resources we have, i hope they give him little or no rope going forward. . .

if the guy proves that he can draft, i don't care if he spits on old ladies and wears his wife's panties as a hat while he watches film. . . build the front seven and get us another running back, all will be forgiven!

Northman
01-28-2011, 05:19 AM

Its pretty much what Dog eluded too. It just doesnt matter at this point, whats done is done. Although like you i dont give Xanders a pass for being a lemming its just time to focus on what is going to happen rather than what happened.

As to the article, i found this interesting which i pretty much knew anyway but a lot of people were shitting bricks about which defensive system we would use. But considering we have players that can fit and have played in both i think we will be fine either way as long as the talent is there.

It's not too difficult to convert from 3-4 to 4-3, because everybody can at least create their own role within each system. Most players in high school and college have played in a 4-3. What we've got to do is convert back, if that's where we're going, and get those lined up and recalibrated. But the draft board is pretty solid right now.

gobroncsnv
01-28-2011, 08:05 AM
Yeah, agreed... there's always a lot of talk about draft point "value", but we need a game changer up front. Right now, the defensive schemes about playing us is "just block 'em"... not really much in game planning around anyone, because most any olineman can keep our guys out of the way. You just can't get away with putting one hat on Suh, or players like him. We need a serious dose of relentlessness out of this draft.
I mean, did Phonz Smith personally get better for just having gone to Detroit, or did his game just curiously improve because the Lions upped their talent on the front line? They didn't just get Suh and leave it at that, they also picked up Van Den Bosch (sp?) to have at least half their line improve.
We're picking number two in this draft, we just CAN'T screw this one up, we have to hit it out of the park. Our FO will give us a large glimpse into their value by how they handle this off-season. I'm not starry-eyed enough to think they can turn this completely around in one year, but they had darn sure better get off to a great start.

jhildebrand
01-28-2011, 11:54 AM
My personal opinion of Xanders is that he has completely misrepresented his part in the decisions prior to now, he scapegoated McDaniels, and is too weak to be any kind of real GM.

I am willing to look at this year objectively. If I were a betting man, and I am not, I wouldn't think he lasts much longer than a year.

BroncoStud
01-31-2011, 09:46 AM
no point asking him, i heard an interview with him on 104.3-- they asked him a polite version of that, and his answer was just as predictably evasive as you'd expect. . . the whole interview was blatant coachspeak, worse than shanahan even-- which says a lot. . .

piled whatever blame he could on mcdaniels, never owned one iota for himself, and pretty much talked up his role any time he could. . .

he wasn't involved with the hillis decision, but he made sure to talk at length about meeting with tebow. . .

funny, he didn't bring up visiting alphonso smith or richard quinn-- really talked up his own role in the tebow evaluation process, though. . .

we'll see. . . elway said right up front that xanders wouldn't be able to hide, or something to that effect. . . we'll see what he can do as the "real GM"-- if he botches this utterly crucial off-season, with all the resources we have, i hope they give him little or no rope going forward. . .

if the guy proves that he can draft, i don't care if he spits on old ladies and wears his wife's panties as a hat while he watches film. . . build the front seven and get us another running back, all will be forgiven!

:tsk:

You just reinforced what I thought about the dude... Why did we keep him again? He is in a position that if he is "sink or swim" and sinks, the Broncos are in deep trouble again.

honz
01-31-2011, 10:10 AM

McD was fired by Bowlen, Xanders was not fired that same day. That tells me a lot right there. I'm not gonna judge him until I see his moves as the main guy...who knows how much say he really had under McD's tyrannic reign.

rcsodak
01-31-2011, 10:22 AM
The more and more I hear/read (I mean less), the more I think they're going to try and gain picks if possible.

Just don't know if there's anybody really enough for another team to want to move up for.

Lonestar
01-31-2011, 11:02 AM
Thought it a good interview but then I so not hate the guy.

I did not think all that happened since mikey was fired was bad either, unlike some here.

Not sure he is the answer, would have loved to have an Old time experienced GM Instead but I realize thAt none of them wanted to work for John.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

BroncoStud
01-31-2011, 12:16 PM
Marty would have been a solid choice for the GM position.

BigSarge87
01-31-2011, 04:52 PM
I understand there hasn't been a lot happen in recent years to be optimistic about in the front office, however, I'm willing to let it go and start clean this season as that is what the team seems to be doing.

So far, just from his interviews, Xanders seems like a clueless D-bag to me, but so would Bill Belichek if I judged him just from his interviews with the media. Until we can measure the value of his actual decisions, it's not really fair to judge him. He has a great opportunity to get this sucka back on track this year and if he FUBARs it then I'll start condemning him, but if we have a good draft people on here better start giving him credit also.

Until then, all of the people on here saying Xanders is going to screw it up this year are really just people blowing it out their ass. They don't know anymore than anyone else if Xanders will be a successful GM or not.

We're stuck with him this year anyways, so we might as well support him and hope he kicks some ass at the draft.

JDL
01-31-2011, 04:59 PM
The more and more I hear/read (I mean less), the more I think they're going to try and gain picks if possible.

Just don't know if there's anybody really enough for another team to want to move up for.

Dallas is dying for Peterson (and you know how Jerry Jones gets) - for them... I'd want Marion Barber and their 2nd rd pick, along with #9.

SF could move up for the QB of their choice (but their 2nd rd pick stinks...one in front of our 2nd 2nd rd pick) and the QBs have not to date distinguished themselves.... but it was never about Newton or Locker (who have not helped themselves this offseason... Mallett and Gabbert are the guys to focus on at the combine to see if they can separate themselves and establish themselves as a top 5 pick.)

HORSEPOWER 56
01-31-2011, 05:32 PM
Dallas is dying for Peterson (and you know how Jerry Jones gets) - for them... I'd want Marion Barber and their 2nd rd pick, along with #9.

SF could move up for the QB of their choice (but their 2nd rd pick stinks...one in front of our 2nd 2nd rd pick) and the QBs have not to date distinguished themselves.... but it was never about Newton or Locker (who have not helped themselves this offseason... Mallett and Gabbert are the guys to focus on at the combine to see if they can separate themselves and establish themselves as a top 5 pick.)

Replace Marion Barber with Marcus Spears and you've got yourself a deal...:beer:

BroncoStud
01-31-2011, 05:35 PM
Marion Barber's too slow and too hurt all the time, throw in someone better than that.

I just get sick and tired of hearing how Xanders tells everyone he had no part in the roster moves that were made - bullshit. If he didn't, then he's a weakling and doesn't need to be the one running the show on that side of the organization. Josh has made an easy scapegoat for him this offseason.

Northman
01-31-2011, 05:40 PM
Marion Barber's too slow and too hurt all the time, throw in someone better than that.

I just get sick and tired of hearing how Xanders tells everyone he had no part in the roster moves that were made - bullshit. If he didn't, then he's a weakling and doesn't need to be the one running the show on that side of the organization. Josh has made an easy scapegoat for him this offseason.

Well, i would be the first to agree but John says that now he will have the "supposed" power and if he fails he will be out. Doesnt necessarily make me confortable with him there but not much we can do so for the Bronco's sake lets hope he succeeds although im not expecting it.

PAINTERDAVE
01-31-2011, 07:02 PM

Peterson is the bait....

BigSarge87
01-31-2011, 10:59 PM

Yeah, that does sound like BS. It's hard to believe they didn't at least have some meetings about some of that crap. But I think it's at least possible, I mean, think about all we know about McDaniels personality. Makes sense. It's possible he disagreed with Josh regularly and eventually got sick of trying to talk McBlockhead out of doing stupid shit. Maybe McFail is the best used-car salesman in the world and just excelled at selling his ideas to him.

Then again, in the words of LT Aldo Raine, (inglorious basterds) maybe he's just a pink-panied Sally. Hopefully not, but we really won't know for a while.

Now if the draft sucks and this time next year he's saying, "Well, that was all John's idea", then we know he's worthless and we should scalp him and carve a swastika on his forehead.

Maybe that's a little extreme.

LSIGRAD09
02-01-2011, 09:24 AM
I still think it was McD that was the culprit. He almost showed no guts on the sideline, he constantly berated his guys, and I think I heard he just ripped apart the coaches in front of Bowlen.

I am neutral on Xanders, and he has to prove himself NOW.

Traveler
02-01-2011, 10:35 AM
I still think it was McD that was the culprit. He almost showed no guts on the sideline, he constantly berated his guys, and I think I heard he just ripped apart the coaches in front of Bowlen.

I am neutral on Xanders, and he has to prove himself NOW.

Still a little disappointed Elway didn't talk to other candidates. Guessing this has more to do with money than anything else. Xanders is being given a one year audition to prove it was McDaniels' personnel failings.

Cross your fingers everyone!

Lonestar
02-01-2011, 10:46 AM
Does any realize that those in charge Joe and Pat actually saw what was going on behind closed doOrs. Heard The debates about players between the two.

Thinking they have more insight than we dO.

GEM
02-01-2011, 11:13 AM
Does any realize that those in charge Joe and Pat actually saw what was going on behind closed doOrs. Heard The debates about players between the two.

Thinking they have more insight than we dO.

Probably why they fired McD before the season was even over...

ba-dum-bum-ching.

TXBRONC
02-01-2011, 12:32 PM
Probably why they fired McD before the season was even over...

ba-dum-bum-ching.

:lol: