PDA

View Full Version : Goodell will cut his salary to $1 if lockout happens

PAINTERDAVE
01-27-2011, 03:27 AM
Roger Goodell will cut his salary to $1 if there is a work stoppage
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6060915

NEW YORK -- NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell will cut his salary to $1 if there is a work stoppage after the collective bargaining agreement expires in March.

Goodell, who makes about $10 million a year including bonuses, said in a memo to his staff Wednesday that chief negotiator Jeff Pash will do the same. Pash makes nearly $5 million a year.

dogfish
01-27-2011, 04:18 AM
dogfish says less PR stunts and more legit negotiation, yo!

tell me there won't be a lockout-- i don't give a stinkin' shiat how much you get paid, that doesn't help me at all. . . just like everybody else, i want FOOTBALL-- plain and ****in' simple. . .

and a rookie wage scale and smarter IR rules while you're at it-- that's the only modification the game really needs. . .

forget trying to win in the court of public opinion and deal with the real issues-- you've had years to do it you freakin' tools, and now you're down to weeks before you start ****ing up football. . . lock all your dumb asses in a room and make it happen-- posturing in press conferences and issuing position statements is useless. . .

[/rant]

Thnikkaman
01-27-2011, 09:12 AM
dogfish says less PR stunts and more legit negotiation, yo!

tell me there won't be a lockout-- i don't give a stinkin' shiat how much you get paid, that doesn't help me at all. . . just like everybody else, i want FOOTBALL-- plain and ****in' simple. . .

and a rookie wage scale and smarter IR rules while you're at it-- that's the only modification the game really needs. . .

forget trying to win in the court of public opinion and deal with the real issues-- you've had years to do it you freakin' tools, and now you're down to weeks before you start ****ing up football. . . lock all your dumb asses in a room and make it happen-- posturing in press conferences and issuing position statements is useless. . .

[/rant]

THis

GEM
01-27-2011, 11:24 AM
Exactly.

Shut up stooges and get the deal done. I don't care what your salary is next year, I don't care what the players union guy's salary is next year. I care that there are meaningful football games played next season.

There are a few things in the life that I absolutely love. My kids, my family, Colorado and Denver Broncos ******* football. It's right up there listed with kids and family...get the effing deal done. :mad:

PAINTERDAVE
01-27-2011, 11:33 AM
Exactly.

Shut up stooges and get the deal done. I don't care what your salary is next year, I don't care what the players union guy's salary is next year. I care that there are meaningful football games played next season.

There are a few things in the life that I absolutely love. My kids, my family, Colorado and Denver Broncos ******* football. It's right up there listed with kids and family...get the effing deal done. :mad:

Ummm, Gem, tell us how you REALLY feel!

Dzone
01-27-2011, 11:40 AM
screw goddell...he is a communist.
Then he will demand everyone else to give up their money to the NFL...big deal the guy has been making $10 million for several years. Darn, he might have to start clipping coupons.BooHoo...Goddell knows that he will catch hell if there is a work stoppage and he is still pulling down 10 mil

Juriga72
01-27-2011, 11:57 AM
screw goddell...he is a communist.
Then he will demand everyone else to give up their money to the NFL...big deal the guy has been making $10 million for several years. Darn, he might have to start clipping coupons.BooHoo...Goddell knows that he will catch hell if there is a work stoppage and he is still pulling down 10 mil

Seriously....
Do you know how hard it is to live off 10 mill/year....? I mean Goddell has like 6-7 kids with 6-7 different moms..... You HAVE to feel for the guy taking a pay cut.

I mean.... Sheesh, Look at how many times he's been arrested for DUI's, DV, drug and weapon charges..... It just makes you feel like that he should be given MORE money each year.

I for one will be willing to pay 300.00/400.00 more for each ticket so everyone can make MORE money each year....

/Sarcasm/

Chris90210
01-27-2011, 02:10 PM
I misread this the first time. I thought it said he would take a dollar off of his salary:lol: I normally don't care for some of his decisions but this one I respect:salute: I know he is set for life cash wise(unless he is irresponsible) even though this is a pr stunt at least he is putting something up that has meaning(and not silly like hair or a pie to the face). Though the communication needs to pick up at least something is happening. It won't do much for the actual terms of the negotiation but at least it's a nice gesture.

atwater27
01-27-2011, 02:23 PM
How bout the NFL cuts their executive salaries in half, cut the players salaries in half, and donate the rest directly to the poor? They'll still have all the money in the world and they will make the world a better place. They are all ridiculously overpaid anyways.

Hell, an acceptable salary for a star football player shouldn't even be over $500,000 a year plus pension and benefits. They are playing a sport they love. Not many people can say they love their jobs. Pro athletes do. They shouldn't be paid more than doctors, physicists and engineers to do it.

The same goes for the execs. Most are a bunch of paper pushing useless bags of skin with God complexes. **** em all. I hope there is a strike and it sends these ****s to the unemployment lines with the rest of the country.

Lonestar
01-27-2011, 02:35 PM
Actually I like it think he is showing that he is committed to getting things done.

There will be a lockout. Be sure to bet on that the only thing that will get the morons that think the golden goose is made going to keep passing golden eggs for ever.

The only way to get employees attention and prove resolve is to stop their pay checks. Only then will reality will set in. When some of these clowns can't make a house payment for their multi million dollar houses. Y'all forget that the real season does not start till sept.

When that rolls around I'll get concerned.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Cugel
01-28-2011, 10:53 AM
I misread this the first time. I thought it said he would take a dollar off of his salary:lol: I normally don't care for some of his decisions but this one I respect:salute: I know he is set for life cash wise(unless he is irresponsible) even though this is a pr stunt at least he is putting something up that has meaning(and not silly like hair or a pie to the face). Though the communication needs to pick up at least something is happening. It won't do much for the actual terms of the negotiation but at least it's a nice gesture.

YOu're completely out of your mind and the other posters are right! This is a publicity STUNT pure and simple.

"There will be no lockout!" ? Well of COURSE NOT, because the league has been angling to force the PLAYERS to walk out so they can blame the players for a "strike" rather than having to take the blame for a "lockout".

See? It's all P.R.

Step 1: NFL Declares the negotiations are at an impasse.

Step 2: NFL moves to UNILATERALLY re-institute the expired CBA, with certain changes: an 18 game season, rookie salary cap, new overall salary cap which gives 3 or 4% more revenue to the OWNERS at the expense of the players.

IN short the OWNERS move to shove all the changes they want down the players' throats.

NOW the burden is on the players: either they strike and refuse to work under the new conditions or they fold and agree to everything the Owners want.

They strike, and the owners all scream "The players are destroying the football season! We were reasonable, but they walked out! Bad, BAD players!" :coffee:

And because we have a bunch of corporate WHORES in the media and millions of idiots among the fans they think they will get away with it!

The union folded during the last strike, so they think it will fold again. They just threaten the players with permanent loss of their jobs, bring in replacement players, and keep up the pressure.

After all, the owners have a LOT more money stashed away than the Players do, and can simply wait them out!

The fans will mostly blame the players because the Owners are basically faceless suits behind the scenes and all the fans will see is players walking out and players refusing to come back.

This STUNT of Goddells' actually makes me MORE certain that he anticipates a strike -- which means he has ZERO intention of negotiating a deal the players can accept without a long work stoppage!

Cugel
01-28-2011, 11:09 AM
Actually I like it think he is showing that he is committed to getting things done.

There will be a lockout. Be sure to bet on that the only thing that will get the morons that think the golden goose is made going to keep passing golden eggs for ever.

The only way to get employees attention and prove resolve is to stop their pay checks. Only then will reality will set in. When some of these clowns can't make a house payment for their multi million dollar houses. Y'all forget that the real season does not start till sept.

When that rolls around I'll get concerned.

Sounds like the Mussolini school of labor negotiations! That's bound to work out just great! :coffee:

Ravage!!!
01-28-2011, 11:12 AM
I like the gesture. You can call it a "stunt" all you want. Anything can be labeled a "stunt" if thats the only way you wish to look at it. But the point is, in this economical times, he's willng to tell the public, the NFL fanbase, that HE TOO has something to lose and that he won't just sit back and "take his salary" whether the NFL plays or not.

He's not a poor man, and he knows he can survive very well without a year's salary. Thats not the point. I like his gesture.

threefolddead
01-28-2011, 10:14 PM
O good for you Roger you freakin moron. Get a deal done. No one cares what you get paid as long as you do your job which you seem to be incapable of. I mean its only half a 1.5 million a day loss every day during the season or something ridiculous like that if you have a lock out. Pocket change eh? You say your all about the fans Mr. Goodell. Sure doesn't seem like it.

BeefStew25
01-28-2011, 10:19 PM
He will still make more than Buff. Amazing.

PAINTERDAVE
01-28-2011, 10:24 PM
The owners have the lucrative TV contract that will be paid to them no matter what.

They have the players over a barrel.

A while back the players offered to play the year under
the existing contract while negotiations continued...

Owners said..."No dice."

I think in the end the players will cave.

They always have before.

And yet... the players are making a ton for playing a game.

What is the minimum? 900,000 bucks I think...

I think I could be a kicker for a year or two...

maybe I could be a scab kicker for a few games... LOL

rcsodak
03-17-2011, 01:51 PM
If DSmith was the man he thinks he is, he'd do the same for walking away from the table. So, the union is no more, but he's still getting paid? Did I hear that right?
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums