PDA

View Full Version : How is Marcus Thomas doing?

Tned
09-22-2008, 12:21 AM
I'll admit to not always focusing on the line, especially the guards/center and D tackles.

What's your opinions on how Marcus Thomas is playing this year?

silkamilkamonico
09-22-2008, 12:29 AM
I think he does a good job of getting initial penetration, but he can't sustain pressure and help break the pocket down. At least he's shown the inability to so far.

We don't need sacks or mad pressure on defense, but we need to be able to collapse the pocket, and we're not doing that.

Its fun watching Denver games. Analysts, and fans think we have the best oline in the NFL as far as pass protection. And the second best pass protecting oline is whoever playing the DEnver Broncos defense.

Lonestar
09-22-2008, 12:35 AM
I think he does a good job of getting initial penetration, but he can't sustain pressure and help break the pocket down. At least he's shown the inability to so far.

We don't need sacks or mad pressure on defense, but we need to be able to collapse the pocket, and we're not doing that.

Its fun watching Denver games. Analysts, and fans think we have the best oline in the NFL as far as pass protection. And the second best pass protecting oline is whoever playing the DEnver Broncos defense.

Maybe even the best considering the coffee breaks they get before passing the ball each time..

No wonder their TOP has been impressive this year.. it is all after the snap and before the ball is thrown..

Magnificent Seven
09-22-2008, 02:46 AM
Marcus Thomas plays better than Jarvis Moss. However, Tim Crowder and Marcus Thomas are the same.

Jerz
09-22-2008, 03:02 AM
Marcus Thomas plays better than Jarvis Moss. However, Tim Crowder and Marcus Thomas are the same.

It was laughable watching Moss try to bullrush a tackle that outweighed him by 50 to 70 lbs.....I think Thomas would be more effective if D Robertson played to his potential

Dean
09-22-2008, 06:40 AM
I have been impressed with the quickness Of Thomas' first step. However, so far, he hasn't shown either the strength or the technique to excel in our present system. He can't seem to finish the play.

Tned
09-22-2008, 06:55 AM

Which means what? One is a DT the other a DE. I'm not sure I understand how they are the same.

silkamilkamonico
09-22-2008, 12:04 PM
Which means what? One is a DT the other a DE. I'm not sure I understand how they are the same.

Yea that comment caught me completely off guard too.

O-ManePunisher
09-22-2008, 12:07 PM
Hes doing fairly well on the Rush D but his Pass rush needs to step up Rivers, and Drew.B had to much time on back to back weeks

Kaylore
09-22-2008, 12:14 PM
He's playing very well for a second year player. Remember DT is the second hardest position to pick up in the NFL second only to QB.

Northman
09-22-2008, 12:18 PM
Im still somewhat impressed with Engleberger. Not so much that he is a sack monster but the guy is a great tackler. It seems of little consequence seeing how our D is getting raped anyway but everytime i watch a game he stops some major yardage gains by stopping the player when he is there. There were a couple of times yesterday that Bush could of gone the distance but he made the play to stop him. Now, if only we could of reached Brees on a regular basis.

hamrob
09-22-2008, 12:59 PM
He's playing very well for a second year player. Remember DT is the second hardest position to pick up in the NFL second only to QB.I thought the MIKE was the 2nd hardest to learn next to QB?. Considering they need to know everyone else's assignment on any given play.

honz
09-22-2008, 02:43 PM
Im still somewhat impressed with Engleberger. Not so much that he is a sack monster but the guy is a great tackler. It seems of little consequence seeing how our D is getting raped anyway but everytime i watch a game he stops some major yardage gains by stopping the player when he is there. There were a couple of times yesterday that Bush could of gone the distance but he made the play to stop him. Now, if only we could of reached Brees on a regular basis.
Big E is the most underrated player on this team IMO. Yeah, he sucks at rushing the passer, but he is an absolute beast when it comes to stuffing the run. He is a solid guy to have on the team.

elsid13
09-22-2008, 02:49 PM
Thomas is playing well. There are glimps of why Shanahan said he was 1st round talent. I think he needs to get stronger, but that will come as he grows into being a professional.

TheDave
09-22-2008, 03:01 PM
Both our DT's are playing very well... Ther is a reason people are not running up the middle.

Matter of fact on that goaline stand did anyone see D Rob throw the center out of his way and make the tackle?

Right now DT is not our problem...

Buff
09-22-2008, 03:12 PM
He's playing very well for a second year player. Remember DT is the second hardest position to pick up in the NFL second only to QB.

Everyone says this about a different position. Troy Aikman made that same claim about WR's when talking about Eddie Royal yesterday. I've heard people say it's hard to come in and play DE right away because there are so many moves you have to learn. I've heard people say it's hard to come in and play MLB right away because you have to quarterback the defense etc. etc. About the only position you don't hear this about is running back and defensive back.

shank
09-22-2008, 03:25 PM
I thought the MIKE was the 2nd hardest to learn next to QB?. Considering they need to know everyone else's assignment on any given play.

MIKEs can come in and play like monsters even as rookies. look at guys like willis and beason. the position has such an instinctual nature that guys can come in and produce immediately.

they may not come in and be the field general, but they can produce.

then take a look at guys like glenn dorsey and sedrick ellis, who were dominant in college, and they are almost non-factors as rookies in the NFL. even when a DT doesn't bust, they almost always take a few years to become a factor.

i'd say that marcus is ahead of schedule...

shank
09-22-2008, 03:27 PM
kicker actually seems like it gets easier when you go from college to the NFL. better blocking and narrower hash marks.

Lonestar
09-22-2008, 05:13 PM
Both our DT's are playing very well... Ther is a reason people are not running up the middle.

Matter of fact on that goaline stand did anyone see D Rob throw the center out of his way and make the tackle?

Not as much when they are in.. but when they rotate out well hear:laugh: that sucking sound..

Skinny
09-22-2008, 05:21 PM
I'm still waiting to make a contribution to the "Brag or Talk About Your 2008 Adopt A Bronco here" thread.....

Lonestar
09-22-2008, 05:44 PM
I'm still waiting to make a contribution to the "Brag or Talk About Your 2008 Adopt A Bronco here" thread.....

could be a long year.. At least I've got DJ upcoming DPOY.. Jump on board I think there is still room.. Since I awas first to ask for him..

Skinny
09-22-2008, 06:11 PM
could be a long year.. At least I've got DJ upcoming DPOY.. Jump on board I think there is still room.. Since I awas first to ask for him..lol, thanks for the offer JR but i'm going to stick it out with Thomas. The young man has way to much athletic ability not to come along and improve as the season goes on. He just needs more time on the feild i think. I think he'll get better. Or atleast i hope.

BCJ
09-22-2008, 06:21 PM
Big E is the most underrated player on this team IMO. Yeah, he sucks at rushing the passer, but he is an absolute beast when it comes to stuffing the run. He is a solid guy to have on the team.

There is a guy named Popps that will hit you over the head for the above comment. I believe he is the one that punched the ball out of Bush's hands and got Nate Webster to return the kick.

OMorange&blue
09-22-2008, 06:29 PM
Popps did? Shit!

honz
09-22-2008, 06:45 PM
There is a guy named Popps that will hit you over the head for the above comment. I believe he is the one that punched the ball out of Bush's hands and got Nate Webster to return the kick.
Popps?:confused:

And, yeah, Big E was the guy that forced the fumble by Bush.

Lonestar
09-22-2008, 06:56 PM
Popps?:confused:

And, yeah, Big E was the guy that forced the fumble by Bush.

Elvin Hayes is back from retirement and playing football? Wow I missed that one..

honz
09-22-2008, 06:58 PM
Elvin Hayes is back from retirement and playing football? Wow I missed that one..
There is only one Big E, and that man is named John Engelberger.

Lonestar
09-22-2008, 07:00 PM
There is only one Big E, and that man is named John Engelberger.

ahahahahaha

I just thought it may have been Elvis

was just joshing you..:laugh::laugh:

Nature Boy
09-25-2008, 04:40 AM

Big E is not much better than a back up DE for 90% of the teams in this league.

Ziggy
09-25-2008, 01:26 PM

Are you sure that reason isn't because they are busy passing the ball for 300 yards per game?

omac
09-25-2008, 06:15 PM
Are you sure that reason isn't because they are busy passing the ball for 300 yards per game?

I agree with TheDave.

I've been rewatching the SD and NO games, and our rushing D gets the job done much more often than not. Although we've given up a lot of yards passing to NO and SD, when they have decided to run the ball, we have had consistently good results.