PDA

View Full Version : Most, including Cutler, felt this was an "off" game for him

Kaylore
09-21-2008, 11:56 PM
J. Cutler 21/34 (61%) 2 TD's 1 int 264 yards. Passer rating: 93.3 No sacks allowed.

That's right. Cutler's "off day" was what three fourths of the league wish their QB could play to. Cutler's QB rating is three points higher than Plummer's best total season QB rating for us. We're also converting on third down 60% of the time.

Be grateful.

Northman
09-21-2008, 11:58 PM
Absolutely, i love the fact that even when he isnt on 100% that he can play that well.

Lonestar
09-22-2008, 12:02 AM
HE had rough patch in there where he stumbled. Threw one in the dirt a couple high and at least one behind his normally glue handed receivers..

I have to wonder if his blood sugars were acting up.. the rest of the game he was pretty damned good..

Rusty Shackleford
09-22-2008, 12:03 AM
Well, he was sick and didn't know it last year and still was a great QB. No defence wants to face him and Marshall.

honz
09-22-2008, 12:06 AM
He looked like last years Cutler. He looked superb for a couple of drives, then he missed a few throws and made a couple bad decisions. He seemed to play his best in the 4th Q though, and he was about to put the game away until Scheff fumbled the ball away.

Rusty Shackleford
09-22-2008, 12:11 AM
Wait, what? I am watching Sportcenter and the "after the commercial" preview was "What Jay Cutler is doing so right for the Denver Broncos".

It makes me weep with joy that this guy is OUR guy for the next 10 years.

Tned
09-22-2008, 12:24 AM
J. Cutler 21/34 (61%) 2 TD's 1 int 264 yards. Passer rating: 93.3 No sacks allowed.

That's right. Cutler's "off day" was what three fourths of the league wish their QB could play to. Cutler's QB rating is three points higher than Plummer's best total season QB rating for us. We're also converting on third down 60% of the time.

Be grateful.

I for one am very grateful. However, there were a number of throws that he normally throws better. Some were incomplete, some the receiver bailed him out (like the high catch by Jackson for a TD). The INT was an ill advised throw, but as you say, even with him having an off day, he put up some very good numbers.

Tned
09-22-2008, 12:27 AM
HE had rough patch in there where he stumbled. Threw one in the dirt a couple high and at least one behind his normally glue handed receivers..

I have to wonder if his blood sugars were acting up.. the rest of the game he was pretty damned good..

I doubt blood sugar was the problem. They talked about what they did to check it during the game. It was something like checking his sugar after warmups, after the first series, and then every series after that, and then getting him insulin or gatorade or something if they needed to regulate it.

With them checking it that often throughout the game, it is unlikely that his blood sugar is going to get out of wack enough to effect him. He is dealing with the hassle of all the finger ******, but his levels shouldn't be an issue.

Rusty Shackleford
09-22-2008, 12:28 AM
From Yahoo's winners and losers...

Winners.
• Denver Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler: This Arena League pace won’t last, but Jay Cutler is blistering teams at this point – 914 passing yards and eight touchdowns in three games. And Brandon Marshall is right there with him – 321 receiving yards and two touchdowns in only two games.

Shazam!
09-22-2008, 01:28 AM
"Cutler's QB rating is three points higher than Plummer's best total season QB rating..."

I even hate seeing Jay Cutler's name in the same sentance as Jake Plummer's.

omac
09-22-2008, 01:35 AM
"Cutler's QB rating is three points higher than Plummer's best total season QB rating..."

I even hate seeing Jay Cutler's name in the same sentance as Jake Plummer's.

oh no, not again .... :canada:

Retired_Member_001
09-22-2008, 04:26 AM
oh no, not again .... :canada:

It's inevitable.

Untill we win a Super Bowl, Plummer will continue to be discussed about. Never have I seen one man cause so much controversey between the fans. :laugh:

elsid13
09-22-2008, 04:54 AM
It's inevitable.

Untill we win a Super Bowl, Plummer will continue to be discussed about. Never have I seen one man cause so much controversey between the fans. :laugh:

Does the name Brian Griese mean anything to you?

Nomad
09-22-2008, 06:35 AM
Players have off days and hopefully Cutler doesn't put all the pressure on himself. I've never expected him to be perfect. He's doing an outstanding job but does need help on the other side of the ball!!!!

Tned
09-22-2008, 06:58 AM
Players have off days and hopefully Cutler doesn't put all the pressure on himself. I've never expected him to be perfect. He's doing an outstanding job but does need help on the other side of the ball!!!!

There is no question that he needs help, but this is an offensive team. Most of their stars are on offense.

When Baltimore, TB and CHI won championships, they did it with a crushing defense and no offense. Their defense couldn't make any mistakes, because their offense wouldn't be able to make up the points to overcome it.

Why is the opposite not true? Why isn't it just as acceptable to expect your dominant unit to dominate and make up for the deficiencies of the other unit, when the dominant unit is offense?

gobroncsnv
09-22-2008, 07:08 AM
The problem with this year's team is that we can't afford Jay having the down series he has right after halftime. Our D will let ANYBODY back in the game, so we have to hold serve everytime we have the ball. We're scoring enough points to win, akin to the way things looked in Elway's last years, but the D doesn't measure up now. The goal line stand was awesome, build on that. The stop on 3rd and 1 before the Grammatica miss was fabulous, build on that. But right now, no lead we have is safe. Unfortunately, all the pressure is on our offense right now, because our D can't take very much.

Den21vsBal19
09-22-2008, 07:08 AM
There is no question that he needs help, but this is an offensive team. Most of their stars are on offense.

When Baltimore, TB and CHI won championships, they did it with a crushing defense and no offense. Their defense couldn't make any mistakes, because their offense wouldn't be able to make up the points to overcome it.

Why is the opposite not true? Why isn't it just as acceptable to expect your dominant unit to dominate and make up for the deficiencies of the other unit, when the dominant unit is offense?
Probably because we've only got half a dominant unit...........our passing game is on fire, but the ground game is still inconsistent.

Defense & running games tend not to be as sensitive to weather conditions......plus if you can stop the other guy from scoring he can't beat you, whereas just because he can't stop you from scoring doesn't mean you'll beat him............

Nomad
09-22-2008, 07:11 AM

Well Tned, the way I see it, is yes we have a dominant offense and it's fun to watch. It's the NFL and we could use all the cliches, "It's the NFL, They're pros, etc", and I could except that we have a mediocre defense. I could except that NO and SD are two great offensive teams. But you can't but noticed, it's the same scheme play after play after play on defense with no adjustments and the occasional overloading the line and the secondary gets burnt. I am open minded but most high powered offenses don't make it far in the playoffs without a decent or dominant defense. I see the biggest weakness as lack of adjustments which is no surprise! As far as Cutler he is doing beyond what is expected but again he does need help because the offense can't do it alone. I guess I could sit here and except big leads that dwindle down to nailbiters, it's all about the W not dominance, correct!

Tned
09-22-2008, 07:15 AM
Probably because we've only got half a dominant unit...........our passing game is on fire, but the ground game is still inconsistent.

Defense & running games tend not to be as sensitive to weather conditions......plus if you can stop the other guy from scoring he can't beat you, whereas just because he can't stop you from scoring doesn't mean you'll beat him............

True, but our defense 'appears' to be much improved against the run (I say appears, because teams are turning to the pass early) and since teams so far have been gaining the huge chunks of yards and coming back on us through the air, the weather conditions would shut their offenses down as well.

Also, we don't really know where our running game stands right now, because we have passed so much, but Young has a very healthy 6.6 YPC average and Hall isn't shabby at 5.1.

What isn't known is how the running game would work if it became the 'primary' weapon, rather than the change up. However, there are certainly signs for encouragement in the run game, including short yardage. While we have failed to convert some 3rd and short running plays, we have converted a number of short yardage goal line runs.

Den21vsBal19
09-22-2008, 07:22 AM
True, but our defense 'appears' to be much improved against the run (I say appears, because teams are turning to the pass early) and since teams so far have been gaining the huge chunks of yards and coming back on us through the air, the weather conditions would shut their offenses down as well.

Also, we don't really know where our running game stands right now, because we have passed so much, but Young has a very healthy 6.6 YPC average and Hall isn't shabby at 5.1.

What isn't known is how the running game would work if it became the 'primary' weapon, rather than the change up. However, there are certainly signs for encouragement in the run game, including short yardage. While we have failed to convert some 3rd and short running plays, we have converted a number of short yardage goal line runs.
Problem with the ground game is two fold, one although the ypc is impressive it seems to be (to me at least) very much boom or bust..........gotta say I'm happy with Pittman on the goal line though :D

Secondly, because the passing game's so prolific, it's setting up the run...........I'll wait until it produces on a wet, windy day when we can't pass as effectively.

And not so much TB, but Baltimore and Chicago both had excellent defenses and running games that could eat the clock, whislt the passing game made enough plays to keep the opposition honest......

Beside, Tampa played the Faiders, so they had to win ;)

Tned
09-22-2008, 07:36 AM
Problem with the ground game is two fold, one although the ypc is impressive it seems to be (to me at least) very much boom or bust..........gotta say I'm happy with Pittman on the goal line though :D

Secondly, because the passing game's so prolific, it's setting up the run...........I'll wait until it produces on a wet, windy day when we can't pass as effectively.

And not so much TB, but Baltimore and Chicago both had excellent defenses and running games that could eat the clock, whislt the passing game made enough plays to keep the opposition honest......

Beside, Tampa played the Faiders, so they had to win ;)

As I have said, it is possible our running game 'looks' good, because of the pass first nature, but until we come out running and see if we can open the holes, we won't know for sure.

Remember, this is a very young line, and they clearly mastered the pass blocking faster than the run blocking. I see this O-line getting better at run blocking as the year goes on.

MOtorboat
09-22-2008, 07:38 AM
As I have said, it is possible our running game 'looks' good, because of the pass first nature, but until we come out running and see if we can open the holes, we won't know for sure.

Remember, this is a very young line, and they clearly mastered the pass blocking faster than the run blocking. I see this O-line getting better at run blocking as the year goes on.

Well, we've got the perfect chance next week in KC...

LordTrychon
09-22-2008, 08:20 AM

Practice makes perfect... ;)

Scarface
09-22-2008, 08:50 AM

It's all part of being human. Some days you're going to better than others. It doesn't always have to come back to diabetes.

Lonestar
09-22-2008, 11:59 AM

if not then, then when.
Are you going?

Lonestar
09-22-2008, 12:01 PM
It's all part of being human. Some days you're going to better than others. It doesn't always have to come back to diabetes.

Your probably correct but having it and seeing the ups and downs of his play it will always be on the back burner..

girler
09-22-2008, 12:03 PM
Your probably correct but having it and seeing the ups and downs of his play it will always be on the back burner..

I didn't see any close ups of him this week, but last week I know I was worried when I saw him looking really bad- dark circles under his eyes and kind of blue-tinged skin. I definitely wondered about the diabetes. Then when I got home, Mr.B said they announced that every time he came off the field they checked his blood sugar- that made me feel much better.

Kaylore
09-22-2008, 12:08 PM
With a very few exceptions, teams with above average special teams, great defenses and above average offenses are what win Championships. Its rare that a team with an awesome offense and crappy defense ever win anything.

ApaOps5
09-22-2008, 12:13 PM

Yeah but even Elway had his bad game moments. Cutler is playing lights out so far and its his 3rd year. While they are supposed to break out in the 3rd year it still is crazy how well he has played.

SarahKay
09-22-2008, 12:19 PM
I thought he did great yesterday.. not as good as the previous two games but still not bad at all. I'm not complaining.

Ordered my new Cutler jersey today! :beer:

Go Cutler! :salute:

Northman
09-22-2008, 12:21 PM

Yea, this is pretty much my thinking too. Our run game isnt deplorable but if we had we gotten a first down on our last drive that would of been it. We need to be able to kill the clock with the running game. Hell even if we spent most of the time on the field that would help but right now im not sold on our running game when it REALLY matters.

Lonestar
09-22-2008, 12:24 PM
Yeah but even Elway had his bad game moments. Cutler is playing lights out so far and its his 3rd year. While they are supposed to break out in the 3rd year it still is crazy how well he has played.

Yep I Know I had said earlier in the thread that he was pressing it..

Forcing things IMO but then I thought good chance he was up or down with the blood sugar..

Since it can affect eye sight it made more sense considering he was spot on then played like crap for a couple of series then became all world again..

The blood sugar thingy made more sense than anything else..

Glad to here they have a sugar monitor guy on the field after each series

Kaylore
09-22-2008, 01:55 PM
Not to nit-pick, but they only check Cutler after every other series.

BMF Bronco
09-22-2008, 02:05 PM
can we please stop with the Plummer comparisons? I think we all agree we are in a better position now with Cuts than we were ever with Plummer back there. NO need to shit on the guy anymore shit, it's been three years

Kaylore
09-22-2008, 02:08 PM
can we please stop with the Plummer comparisons? I think we all agree we are in a better position now with Cuts than we were ever with Plummer back there. NO need to shit on the guy anymore shit, it's been three years
I only mentioned it to point out that Cutler's worst is our last QB's best.

BMF Bronco
09-22-2008, 03:13 PM
As unnecessary as it was.

Kaylore
09-22-2008, 03:13 PM
As unnecessary as it was.

You still feel bad about Plummer, don't you BMF. :laugh:

BMF Bronco
09-22-2008, 03:54 PM
no, i don't feel bad for him, I unlike a large majority of "fans" respect him and appreciate him leading us to the AFC Championship and don't feel the need to shit on his name any time Cuts' name is mentioned.

shank
09-22-2008, 03:55 PM
BMF watches friends

BMF Bronco
09-22-2008, 03:59 PM
BMF watches friends

******.:cool:

Mr D
09-22-2008, 03:59 PM
Our run game was good against the Saints...are you guys serious? The team YPG is skewed a little bit because of Pittman, but the run game was great.

Stedtfeld
09-22-2008, 04:20 PM
I know. It's great. But I hope he does improve some, along with our defense.

Lonestar
09-22-2008, 04:38 PM

while I NOW like the move to Jay, please do not compare Jakes the talent level on this offense with what Jay has..

BMF Bronco
09-22-2008, 04:43 PM
you lost me...

elsid13
09-22-2008, 04:44 PM
Our run game was good against the Saints...are you guys serious? The team YPG is skewed a little bit because of Pittman, but the run game was great.

It was great, until it mattered and we couldn't get 1st down to end the game.

jrelway
09-22-2008, 04:48 PM
cutlers having a beast of a season. not to mention, our O line is giving him very good time in the pocket. i am VERY grateful shanny moved up to draft Cutler.

Broncos Mtnman
09-22-2008, 04:57 PM
don't feel the need to shit on his name any time Cuts' name is mentioned.

But it's so much fun.... :lol:

Kaylore
09-22-2008, 05:16 PM
no, i don't feel bad for him, I unlike a large majority of "fans" respect him and appreciate him leading us to the AFC Championship and don't feel the need to shit on his name any time Cuts' name is mentioned.

I wasn't using it as way to slam Jake but more as a way to show how good we have it. Plummer had three great years with us and I will always thank him for that. However the point of my original post was to show how great things have been going in Denver lately; that our QB having an "off" day is still better than our old QB having a good day.

And ultimately this is a Broncos board and if people want to piss on Jake then they have every right too, though I agree that's not something I would get too excited about doing.