PDA

View Full Version : “Wink” has drawn interest from at least three teams

Denver Native (Carol)
01-26-2011, 04:32 PM
The recent hiring of Dennis Allen as Broncos defensive coordinator and Richard Smith as linebackers coach officially means the team won’t be bringing back Don “Wink” Martindale _ the most likeable among the team’s five defensive coordinators in the previous five seasons.

full blog - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2011/01/26/wink-had-drawn-interest-from-at-least-three-teams/6741/

elsid13
01-26-2011, 04:53 PM
Man I feel sorry for those high schools.

Juriga72
01-26-2011, 05:36 PM
"Liked by Rex Ryan"......

Has anyone seen Wnk's feet?

bcbronc
01-26-2011, 05:42 PM
I dunno, hard to really judge Wink's performance. He had some good times (v. Indy, SD) and bad times (the rest?). But how much different would things have been if Doom, Dawk and Goodman had been healthy all season?

Throw in an absolute garbage DL and it was a pretty steep task for a rookie DC.

Anyway, I wish him well and don't think this season was really indicative of his abilities as a DC. Besides, all blame goes to McDaniels anyway, right?
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Northman
01-26-2011, 05:47 PM
Wink is pretty bad in my opinion but it doesnt matter anymore. He's gone and im completely thankful.

dogfish
01-26-2011, 05:54 PM
enh. . . the guy's a quality position coach who was put in an unworkable situation. . . look at the stiffs he was supposed to work with-- once doom went down, martindale never had a chance. . . we started not one but two camp casualties that we picked up like a week before the season started-- guys who were both playing new positions for the first time. . . how was that ever supposed to end well?

"We're giving you mostly CFL-level talent, no edge rushers, lots of guys that are old, slow or both, and an offense that can't hold the ball or score points-- now get out there and make us look good! Good luck and God speed."

i have no idea whether he can coordinate a competent defense or not-- and neither does anyone else. . . he's never had a chance to try. . . i expect him to land on his feet somewhere as a LB coach. . .

Dirk
01-26-2011, 06:03 PM
I have been one that has bagged on Wink's abilities at DC. But I guess when you put it that way fish...it makes sense. He really didn't have much of a chance.

Northman
01-26-2011, 06:07 PM
enh. . . the guy's a quality position coach who was put in an unworkable situation. . . look at the stiffs he was supposed to work with-- once doom went down, martindale never had a chance. . . we started not one but two camp casualties that we picked up like a week before the season started-- guys who were both playing new positions for the first time. . . how was that ever supposed to end well?

"We're giving you mostly CFL-level talent, no edge rushers, lots of guys that are old, slow or both, and an offense that can't hold the ball or score points-- now get out there and make us look good! Good luck and God speed."

i have no idea whether he can coordinate a competent defense or not-- and neither does anyone else. . . he's never had a chance to try. . . i expect him to land on his feet somewhere as a LB coach. . .

Losing Doom did suck but Nolan did more with less than Wink had and i just cant feel sorry for him. Good coaches get it done when star players go down but considering Doom wasnt that much of an impact in the run game didnt even matter in the end. Some of that blame goes to McD for his personnel choices but sitting here listening to everyone tell me Wink would succeed more than Nolan i cant help but laugh. Either way, this team got fubared the last couple of years so i hope Allen knows what he is doing.

weazel
01-26-2011, 06:24 PM
hard to judge a musician by his instruments...

you gotta have something to work with, he didn't

arapaho2
01-26-2011, 06:39 PM
hard to judge a musician by his instruments...

you gotta have something to work with, he didn't

some musicians can carry a nice tune with a couple spoons, old jugs and a washboard:listen:

he didnt have the greatest tools...but neither did nolan...and he did fine

rationalfan
01-26-2011, 06:55 PM
Losing Doom did suck but Nolan did more with less than Wink had and i just cant feel sorry for him. Good coaches get it done when star players go down but considering Doom wasnt that much of an impact in the run game didnt even matter in the end. Some of that blame goes to McD for his personnel choices but sitting here listening to everyone tell me Wink would succeed more than Nolan i cant help but laugh. Either way, this team got fubared the last couple of years so i hope Allen knows what he is doing.

i don't really understand the nolan love. he's been adequate or less every place he's been - except in baltimore where he inherited someone else's stockpile of talent.

not sure if we'll ever know who had more influence over the 2009 broncos' defense - mcd vs. nolan; but i'm certainly not convinced every good thing that D did was because of nolan.

bcbronc
01-26-2011, 08:24 PM
dog, why ya got to hate on the CFL like that. :tsk:

broncofaninfla
01-26-2011, 08:38 PM
With Wink I saw guys who were in postion to make plays, they just didn't. Our defense sucked last season but I put that more on the lack of talent than I do Wink. I do prefer Nolans more aggressive approach on defense over Winks more passive approach though. Wink is too respected by people who know way more than any of us for me to say he sucks as a DC. He's one hell of a LB coach and I bet he'll be a succesful DC in the future.

dogfish
01-26-2011, 08:39 PM
dog, why ya got to hate on the CFL like that. :tsk:

oops, my bad. . . :laugh:

elsid13
01-26-2011, 09:13 PM
oops, my bad. . . :laugh:

Dude it is Canadian, there is no "my bad" :D

I Eat Staples
01-26-2011, 09:44 PM
Man I feel sorry for those high schools.

Winning post.

That is all.

ktrain
01-26-2011, 11:45 PM
in the home game against San Diego? they said the chuggers coaches told them in the pre-game interviews that the broncos defensive schemes had serious "structural flaws" and that they intended to exploit them?

If you believe the oppositions coaches, and believe me Norv Turner is a offensive genius, then wink's defensive alignments were ill conceived. this may have been a bi product of his piss poorr talent or maybe....just maybe, wink was a clueless ******* that had no business being a coordinator?

I hope it was the later, because I really think we do have some decent players that could do well under the correct coaching...

BroncoStud
01-27-2011, 12:12 AM
Wink lol... Good luck with that one.

dogfish
01-27-2011, 01:03 AM
in the home game against San Diego? they said the chuggers coaches told them in the pre-game interviews that the broncos defensive schemes had serious "structural flaws" and that they intended to exploit them?

If you believe the oppositions coaches, and believe me Norv Turner is a offensive genius, then wink's defensive alignments were ill conceived. this may have been a bi product of his piss poorr talent or maybe....just maybe, wink was a clueless ******* that had no business being a coordinator?

I hope it was the later, because I really think we do have some decent players that could do well under the correct coaching...

does having a tissue-soft front seven count as a "structural flaw?"