PDA

View Full Version : New defensive coordinator Allen believes Broncos will improve

TXBRONC
01-26-2011, 10:21 AM
New defensive coordinator Allen believes Broncos will improve
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 01/26/2011 01:00:00 AM MST
Updated: 01/26/2011 07:51:08 AM MST

MOBILE, Ala. — Though he inherits a defense that was at, or near, the bottom of the NFL in virtually every meaningful category this season, Dennis Allen doesn't see the Broncos' depth chart as being half empty.

The Broncos' newest defensive coordinator already has been fitted with orange-colored glasses as he gets down to the business of repairing what has gone so wrong over most of the last four seasons. Allen is the sixth man to occupy the position in six years.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17199318

I hope he's right. It also makes me wonder if that means we are better suited to a 4-3. :ponder:

SOCALORADO.
01-26-2011, 10:31 AM
I hope he's right. It also makes me wonder if that means we are better suited to a 4-3. :ponder:

You know Tex, i just dont even think it matters.
DEN is so bad, and needs so many players for either defense that Fox can just decide which way to go, and then do it, and it will not matter in regards to the time it will take to make it good again.
I think Fox will build what he and his defensive coaching staff know best, the 4-3.
My 2 cents.

TXBRONC
01-26-2011, 10:44 AM
DEN is so bad, and needs so many players for either defense that Fox can just decide which way to go, and then do it, and it will not matter in regards to the time it will take to make it good again.
I think Fox will build what he and his defensive coaching staff know best, the 4-3.
My 2 cents.

I'm not saying it matters I'm saying I find it curious.

UnderArmour
01-26-2011, 11:11 AM
Really smart of him to take the job here instead of the Philly one. We haven't had a good defensive coordinator in ages so if this guy can even get us in the top half of the league, he could stay here as long as he wanted to. But in Philly he'd have to be in the top 5 every year and the Eagles would have to go 19-0 every year for complete job security.

Ravage!!!
01-26-2011, 11:32 AM
I think every coach will say and/or believe this...but its not much of a stretch to think THIS defense will get better. We saw what a good DC can do with Nolan.

Yeah, this defense is going to be better next year. I think with a quality guy behind the scenes will absolutely make the difference.

Buff
01-26-2011, 11:40 AM
Glowing endorsement from Sean Payton, who thinks Allen will be a head coach someday. That makes me feel a little bit better about this guy already.

arapaho2
01-26-2011, 11:44 AM
im just thankful wink is gone

underrated29
01-26-2011, 11:45 AM
I think every coach will say and/or believe this...but its not much of a stretch to think THIS defense will get better. We saw what a good DC can do with Nolan.

Yeah, this defense is going to be better next year. I think with a quality guy behind the scenes will absolutely make the difference.

Exactly, everyone is saying we should scrap everyone except doom and champ. I am like wtf? We had the #12 defense a year ago with a good DC, one who actually knows what he is doing.

Lets add some pieces to our DL and get back to somewhat respectable.

** Notice I said somewhat respectable, not good, because that will take a long time to get there, but a solid scheme and some DL should bring us to at least the 20s

PAINTERDAVE
01-26-2011, 11:46 AM
Listening to Dave Logan yesterday...
talking with some pro's...
their consensus was that even with a good draft and some free agents...
we dont have the personel to go to a 4-3...
and they expect to see a hybrid this season...

They said most all NFL players have played in the 4-3...
so they can switch to that at times..
but that the 3-4 is what we have now and the guys are best suited to that.

hotcarl
01-26-2011, 11:48 AM
i dont understand why people think doom couldnt play outside linebacker in 4-3

Buff
01-26-2011, 11:48 AM
Listening to Dave Logan yesterday...
talking with some pro's...
their consensus was that even with a good draft and some free agents...
we dont have the personel to go to a 4-3...
and they expect to see a hybrid this season...

Yeah, well the reality is we don't have the personnel to run an effective 4-2-5, 4-6, 3-4, 4-3, 5-2, or any other combination.

So, I guess you've gotta just pick the scheme you like and go from there.

Nomad
01-26-2011, 11:49 AM
Welcome to the Denver BRONCOS, Dennis Allen!! Good Luck and I hope you're thick skinned!!

dogfish
01-26-2011, 12:05 PM

i won't make a judgement on whether he could or not, but he most certainly shouldn't. . . the guy is a pass rusher, plain and simple-- that's what we gave him sixty million for. . . putting him in any position where he can't go after the quarterback most of the time would be a huge waste of his talent. . .

certainly, i don't object to them creating some type of joker hybrid role where he's a designated blitzer most of the time, but telling him he's now a WILL and his top job is to flow to the ball and make tackles makes about as much sense as making desean jackson a tight end and asking him to block in-line 40 snaps a game. . .

if they're not happy with DJ and wes woodyard, they need to suck it up and go get some better 43 'backers, not play our only pass rusher out of position-- we need him rushing the passer on a regular basis, we don't have anyone else that can. . .

Ravage!!!
01-26-2011, 12:08 PM
we don't have the personnel to run the 34, either. We don't have the LBs nor the NT to run the 43, so I don't think it matters which way you go, its a building process. I think its easier to build the 43, and feel thats the way to go. But will be interesting either way.

hotcarl
01-26-2011, 12:09 PM
i won't make a judgement on whether he could or not, but he most certainly shouldn't. . . the guy is a pass rusher, plain and simple-- that's what we gave him sixty million for. . . putting him in any position where he can't go after the quarterback most of the time would be a huge waste of his talent. . .

certainly, i don't object to them creating some type of joker hybrid role where he's a designated blitzer most of the time, but telling him he's now a WILL and his top job is to flow to the ball and make tackles makes about as much sense as making desean jackson a tight end and asking him to block in-line 40 snaps a game. . .

if they're not happy with DJ and wes woodyard, they need to suck it up and go get some better 43 'backers, not play our only pass rusher out of position-- we need him rushing the passer on a regular basis, we don't have anyone else that can. . .

ok thanks

im sure they will make the best decision to get the most out of him

jhildebrand
01-26-2011, 12:42 PM
How can this D not improve they were basically the worst!
:noidea:

I am not saying that to be negative or take away from Allen but simply that this unit has nowhere else to go but up!

Buff
01-26-2011, 12:43 PM
How can this D not improve they were basically the worst!
:noidea:

I am not saying that to be negative or take away from Allen but simply that this unit has nowhere else to go but up!

We've been saying that for five years now, and somehow we find a way to reach new lows every year.

BigSarge87
01-26-2011, 12:45 PM
We need 1 or two more playmakers on defense without losing the ones we already have. Everything else on the defense will be gravy. If we get two more actual playmakers back (Doom being one of them), the 'talentless' defense is going to look a lot more talented.

We're going to score points on offense. That's just how it is. If the defense can make some good improvement I don't see why we won't be at least conference contenders next year.

Keys to a winning season:

1. Get a defensive minded coaching staff. (Check)
2. Get a franchise DL in the draft.
3. Resign Champ. (You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone)
4. Get Doom healthy.
5. At least one of the other draft picks must be an immediate contributor on defense.
6. Don't guarantee Tebow the starting job. Tell him it's his to lose but make him compete for it with someone who can push him.

In my opinion, if we can check these off before opening day next year (or whenever the season starts) we'll at least have a winning record. Write that down.

BroncoWave
01-26-2011, 12:46 PM
Well he's smart enough to leave that dump of a franchise in New Orleans, so I'm sold on him already!

honz
01-26-2011, 12:46 PM
I'm so sick of the are we suited to play 3-4 or 4-3 discussions. The Broncos haven't been suited to play defense, period, for the last 6 years or so. Let the new coaches run what they are comfortable with and move forward. The defense will be a major rebuilding project either way.

hotcarl
01-26-2011, 12:48 PM
I'm so sick of the are we suited to play 3-4 or 4-3 discussions. The Broncos haven't been suited to play defense, period, for the last 6 years or so. Let the new coaches run what they are comfortable with and move forward. The defense will be a major rebuilding project either way.

this

---------------end thread------------------

TXBRONC
01-26-2011, 12:50 PM
We need 1 or two more playmakers on defense without losing the ones we already have. Everything else on the defense will be gravy. If we get two more actual playmakers back (Doom being one of them), the 'talentless' defense is going to look a lot more talented.

We're going to score points on offense. That's just how it is. If the defense can make some good improvement I don't see why we won't be at least conference contenders next year.

4. Get Doom healthy.
5. At least one of the other draft picks must be an immediate contributor on defense.
6. Don't guarantee Tebow the starting job. Tell him it's his to lose but make him compete for it with someone who can push him.

In my opinion, if we can check these off before opening day next year (or whenever the season starts) we'll at least have a winning record. Write that down.

Tebow appears to be self-motivated, complacency doesn't seem to be his vocabulary.

jhildebrand
01-26-2011, 12:55 PM
We've been saying that for five years now, and somehow we find a way to reach new lows every year.

Every year but the Nolan year ;)

BigSarge87
01-26-2011, 12:55 PM
Tebow appears to be self-motivated, complacency doesn't seem to be his vocabulary.

He doesn't need competition for motivation. He needs it for an example. He's still too green to know what 'right looks like' in the NFL. A solid veteran who thinks he has a chance (along with a great QB coach) could speed up his learning curve through competition.

WARHORSE
01-26-2011, 01:58 PM

It would be WLB or SLB.

He can play OLB in a 3-4, but he cannot play OLB in a 4-3 unless you want to be last again in the league in defense.

Dooms skills are very specific. He cannot cover in space and his talents would be wasted playing 4-3 OLB. He needs to rush the passer and in the 4-3 that is not your focus unless theres a blitz.

In the 4-3, the weakside LBer has to be a very fast, versatile, instinctive LBer, who ulitmately will lead the team in tackles more often than not.

The SLB plays over the TE and he will not be a focus much in the passrush unless you have a very talented SLB like Dansby.

Simply put, Doom couldnt play LBer in the 4-3 even if he wanted to. He just doesnt have the skill.

horsepig
01-26-2011, 02:26 PM

4. Get Doom healthy.

I'd just add that we need to spark up the running game a little Sarge.

BroncoBJ
01-26-2011, 02:48 PM
Well thats good news. Would be worried if he believes were going to be worse. :fight:

Northman
01-26-2011, 02:49 PM
Ive never heard a DC say that before.

vandammage13
01-26-2011, 02:58 PM
Did you think he would actually say we would be worse? (Which would be next to impossible)

jhildebrand
01-26-2011, 03:02 PM
Next thread about the D

So and so Defensive star really likes Allen and this unit will be much improved.....

Let's let them get a few snaps in before making anything definitive

dogfish
01-26-2011, 03:03 PM
Next thread about the D

So and so Defensive star really likes Allen and this unit will be much improved.....

don't forget the obligatory denver post puff piece about how aggressive he's going to be. . .

BigSarge87
01-26-2011, 03:42 PM
I'd just add that we need to spark up the running game a little Sarge.

Tebow IS the running game now.

We're wasting money on ***** RB's. In fact, I say we trade Moreno for two more good tackles and run with 4 tackles, 2 guards, a center, 2 WR's, 1 TE, and Tebow in the shotgun all the time!

We could call it the God's Army package!

(For those of you with no sense of humor, the above post was made in jest. I'm not retarded)

underrated29
01-26-2011, 03:47 PM
don't forget the obligatory denver post puff piece about how aggressive he's going to be. . .

yep,

Allen studied under the ryans, capers and phillips. He is super aggressive. Hitlers blitzkrieg has also had an effect on how he calls plays and dials up blitzes. Champ loves him and thinks he will be a great DC. Plus he also coached the dbs who had lots of ints.

And we all know that if you study under someone you will perform just like they did. Look at Griese and Elway. :sick:

Juriga72
01-26-2011, 03:55 PM
HOW much worse can we get?

JUST getting Doom back makes us 10-15 spots better....LOL

Glad to hear that he's bringing his "A" game here

dogfish
01-26-2011, 03:58 PM
yep,

Allen studied under the ryans, capers and phillips. He is super aggressive. Hitlers blitzkrieg has also had an effect on how he calls plays and dials up blitzes. Champ loves him and thinks he will be a great DC. Plus he also coached the dbs who had lots of ints.

most of us could probably write the piece from memory at this point, just fill in the names. . .

oh well, maybe he'll finally be the guy to live up to it-- he does look a little unhinged. . . i want a DC like rex ryan who basically foams at the mouth on game day. . .

TXBRONC
01-26-2011, 04:40 PM
He doesn't need competition for motivation. He needs it for an example. He's still too green to know what 'right looks like' in the NFL. A solid veteran who thinks he has a chance (along with a great QB coach) could speed up his learning curve through competition.

Maybe it would Sarge but I'm not sure it would speed up his learning curve.

TXBRONC
01-26-2011, 04:41 PM

Hater. :lol:

hotcarl
01-26-2011, 05:31 PM
Glad to hear that he's bringing his "A" game here

much UNlike your posting :welcome:

spikerman
01-26-2011, 05:34 PM
For the standard quotes you guys are forgetting the famous, and all too familiar, "We know we have the talent, we just have to put it together" quote.

dogfish
01-26-2011, 06:01 PM
For the standard quotes you guys are forgetting the famous, and all too familiar, "We know we have the talent, we just have to put it together" quote.

we were trying to leave the stiffs from the post something to work with. . .

rcsodak
01-28-2011, 03:11 PM
My 2 cents.

Its all conjecture until AFTER Fox & Co. have had proper time to evaluate game tape, interviewed, etc.

In their own words, they could go with the "3-4, 4-3 or 4-4".

Cugel
01-28-2011, 03:22 PM
My 2 cents.

I don't know why so many people can't grasp this simple truth! It's like they've got blinders on and can't see past the extremely marginal talent that's already on the roster to realize that most of these players will be LONG GONE before the team is any good.

They're stuck arguing whether Wesley Woodyard is going to start. He's a total SCRUB! He's a marginal role player who could be replaced by about 20 other guys in this league and would never be missed. :coffee:

Most of the rest of the defense are scrubs too -- guys who would either be strictly special teams players or even fail to make another roster.

EX: Ron Fields is a backup for 49ers. They don't care much if he leaves. He comes here. He's less than mediocre for 2 seasons as a starter. Now he's going to be gone.

It's actually WORSE with Denver's backups, who are mostly future dry-wall installers and insurance salesmen.

Denver's problem is that they are one step down from the top teams in the league. Whereas a team like the Pats or Steelers might have 3 or 4 "elite" players who are considered among the best in the league at their positions, Denver has 1 or none.

While other teams might have 6-10 guys who are "pro-bowl potential" players Denver has 3 or 4.

And while the top teams have virtually their whole lineup as "solid starters" with experience and skill, Denver has mostly role-players starting especially on defense.

That's what's meant by "needing an upgrade in the talent level."

The Broncos simply have to replace players who are average or below average with GOOD and EXCELLENT players. That will take a couple of drafts and FA seasons.

Given this reality, Fox can simply get the best players he can and try and make use of them without worrying about the system he's inherited -- because most of the players who fit in that system will be gone anyway. :coffee:

If you inherited the Pittsburgh Steelers' defense you would worry about converting to a 4-3 because a lot of their talent might not fit. With the Broncos? Who cares? :coffee: