PDA

View Full Version : How about Jeremy Bates? The next Kubiak?

Tned
09-21-2008, 07:47 PM
Ok, based on what we are hearing about Jeremy Bates and how much of these game plans and play calling is his, I think that is pretty exciting. He appears to have a great relationship with Cutler, ala Shanny/Elway, and appears to be coming up with some great game plans.

Although I think his father was horrible in Denver, Jeremy is looking like a real star.

G_Money
09-21-2008, 07:58 PM
As I said on another thread, seeing how much Mike likes Bates as the heir apparent to, well, himself with Reeves and Kubes with Shanny, I half-wonder if we brought in the elder Bates just to get our hands on the younger one.

We needed a DC so we could make that happen, and we got the guy for Jay that Shanny wanted.

Elder Bates: "Thanks for hiring me, Mike. Do you think we could get my son a job too?"

Shanny: "Brer Fox, pleeeeeeeease don't throw me in that brier patch."

EB: "Seriously."

MS: "Okay, I guess."

Younger Bates: "Thanks for letting me come along, Mr. Shanahan."

MS: "Greetings, my apprentice." *cue Darth Vader breathing* "You will soon know the POWER of the Dark Side..."

~G

Tned
09-21-2008, 08:02 PM
Off topic, but speaking of sons, how about Kyle as OC on Houston. I haven't seen a game yet, and they seem to be struggling, but that still says wonders for Kyle. What I have read and interviews I have seen with players, his OC position isn't a figurehead thing, with Kubiak running it, Kyle really is in charge of that offense, while I am sure Kubiak has input, like I am sure Shanahan does with Jeremy.

elsid13
09-21-2008, 08:52 PM
Off topic, but speaking of sons, how about Kyle as OC on Houston. I haven't seen a game yet, and they seem to be struggling, but that still says wonders for Kyle. What I have read and interviews I have seen with players, his OC position isn't a figurehead thing, with Kubiak running it, Kyle really is in charge of that offense, while I am sure Kubiak has input, like I am sure Shanahan does with Jeremy.

The Texans looked extremely bad. I think more the play of Schaub then the play calling.

Simple Jaded
09-21-2008, 09:03 PM
I'm pretty sure that Jeremy Bates came to Denver in 2006, a full year before Jim Bates became Shanahan's next scapegoat......

Broncolingus
09-21-2008, 09:07 PM
I'm pretty sure that Jeremy Bates came to Denver in 2006, a full year before Jim Bates became Shanahan's next scapegoat......

...heh, heh - good one.

I'll pass (yes, that's a pun) judgement on Big-Jeremy until the season is over.

It'll be interesting to see how many points his offense can score for 16 games straight, and maybe if Denver is lucky enough to make the playoffs against a quaility defensive team...

...which at this point had better be in the 50s, because Denver's defense is certainly going to allow about that much against a playoff offense.

Kaylore
09-21-2008, 09:11 PM
Kubiak doesn't look like Kubiak. Schaub looked like crap. I actually feel bad for him. Their town is in disarray and they don't have the facilities to adequately prepare.

Broncos Mtnman
09-21-2008, 09:13 PM
Jeremy and Cutler seem to have a great raport with each other. Give props to Shanny for seeing that and allowing Bates to run the offense.

He has shown to have some real talent as the play caller.

Tned
09-21-2008, 09:16 PM
Jeremy and Cutler seem to have a great raport with each other. Give props to Shanny for seeing that and allowing Bates to run the offense.

He has shown to have some real talent as the play caller.

It was interesting that Cutler said that since training camp, he has really not talked at all with Shanahan about the offense. When they talk, he made it sound like they are saying, "hey, how's it going".

I'll say that I thought the key to getting this offense back on track was having Shanahan take control of it, but from what we hear it sounds like Bates is the one game planning and play calling.

hamrob
09-21-2008, 09:37 PM
Maybe Cutler hasn't spoken with Shanny...but you know that Bates has! Shanny probably realized the pressure he was placing on Jay and wanted to back off.

As far as Bates goes....he'd better figure out that when you are on the 1 foot line and only need to run the clock out...that you don't hand it off 3 yds deep in your own endzone. Hopefully that was a learning lesson for him! The only other knock I have...is that he needs to keep on applying the pressure on the defenses....he's taken the foot off of their throat a couple times now and it's hurt us.

ApaOps5
09-21-2008, 09:50 PM
I love the play calling but I think Shanny needs to have a chat with the lad. Run the football more and keep the defense off balance. The last 2 weeks the Defense has been able to stymie the offense for periods of time and with the gaping hole that is the Denver _efense they get right back in the game.

I am not complaining because they are averaging 38 points per game but I think as awesome as he is there is room for him to grow play calling wise.

Then again there is the other side of me that says damn don't change until they force you too. Either way its fun as heck to watch. At least on Offense it is.

scottxray
09-21-2008, 10:26 PM
Cutler really had a sub par game today, and that hurt us on more than one occasion. He was throwing high, low and short most of the first half.

The plays were there, and Jay kind of screwed it up. Then he finally settled down and Marshall drops one and Sheffler turns it over.

Net result was we had several drives stall. Bates made a mistake running that handoff like that, but overall his game plan was ON....with better execution of the pass game it wouldn't have been as close.

Some people were giving ST's props, and I was going HUH?

Kern really screwed up that free kick after the saftey. Prater has been Money though. Coverage was okay...nothing to get props for.

Defense......YUCK. Rushing 3 lineman was a master stroke...let NO right back in the game.

ApaOps5
09-21-2008, 10:52 PM
Seriously I missed the 2nd quarter and part of the 3rd. Just watched it on Tivo and damned if they only rushed 3 lineman. What the **** is that? That is prevent defense. No wonder on the radio it sounded like Drew Brees was able to take a poop, floss, and still make the 1st down.

hamrob
09-21-2008, 11:20 PM
Special teams played much better in coverage....making tackles deep in the Saints territory. I think they made two inside the 20 and Prater kicked 4-5 deep in the endzone for no return. Also, our returners did well...averaging at least our 30 yd line. Yeah, the free kick sucked...but that was the only negative. Big improvement over the last two games.

hamrob
09-21-2008, 11:22 PM
Cutler really had a sub par game today, and that hurt us on more than one occasion. He was throwing high, low and short most of the first half.

The plays were there, and Jay kind of screwed it up. Then he finally settled down and Marshall drops one and Sheffler turns it over.

Net result was we had several drives stall. Bates made a mistake running that handoff like that, but overall his game plan was ON....with better execution of the pass game it wouldn't have been as close.

Some people were giving ST's props, and I was going HUH?

Kern really screwed up that free kick after the saftey. Prater has been Money though. Coverage was okay...nothing to get props for.

Defense......YUCK. Rushing 3 lineman was a master stroke...let NO right back in the game.I agree Cutler was way off today. I found myself...getting down on him. But, boy are we spoiled. He ended up throwing for 264 yds with 2 td's, 1 int and a passer rating in the 90's. Not bad....and he was off. Wow!

Tned
09-21-2008, 11:24 PM
I agree Cutler was way off today. I found myself...getting down on him. But, boy are we spoiled. He ended up throwing for 264 yds with 2 td's, 1 int and a passer rating in the 90's. Not bad....and he was off. Wow!

I think he did most of his damage (racking up stats) in the 1st and 4th quarters, and looked off in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

hamrob
09-21-2008, 11:33 PM
I think he did most of his damage (racking up stats) in the 1st and 4th quarters, and looked off in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.Sure, I understand what you're saying...but even on the passes he was completing....like the TD's to Jackson and Marshall...they were high and off target. The Int he threw was a terrible throw and he skipped a couple passes to both BMarsh and Stokely.

But, Like I said...he still finished up in the 90's for passer rating. Not bad.

Tned
09-21-2008, 11:35 PM
Sure, I understand what you're saying...but even on the passes he was completing....like the TD's to Jackson and Marshall...they were high and off target. The Int he threw was a terrible throw and he skipped a couple passes to both BMarsh and Stokely.

But, Like I said...he still finished up in the 90's for passer rating. Not bad.

I think we are saying the same thing, just with different words.

Thnikkaman
09-22-2008, 08:33 AM
Admit it: That surprises you. It stunned me when I learned about it Saturday in Denver. He gave it up after the Broncos started 0-4 in 1999. Gary Kubiak held the responsibility the longest, before becoming Houston's coach in 2006. Now it's up to 32-year-old quarterback coach Jeremy Bates, who calls the plays into quarterback Jay Cutler's headset, with Shanahan having the option to overrule him. He rarely does. Shanahan might make a play call or trump Bates' call two or three times a game.
The gameplan is a collaborative effort between offensive coordinator Rick Dennison, who is responsible for run plays and protections, and Bates, who draws up the passes. Shanahan makes some suggestions during the week while the gameplan is being formulated, but it's mostly a Dennison/Bates production. Dennison and Bates also come up with the "First 18,'' Denver's version of the old Bill Walsh "First 15,'' when the first 18 offensive snaps of the game are set in stone (except if a third-and-inches call, for instance, has to be made).
Dennison and Bates figure out which run plays and pass plays will work best each week against the defense they're playing, then list them by down-and-distance, print them on a laminated play sheet, and call the plays from that sheet on gameday. Bates makes the calls, a heavy responsibility for such a young coach. But it's a natural fit. Bates is the one meeting with Cutler all week and finding out what plays he thinks are the best fit for that week's opponent. It makes sense that the coach communicating with Cutler most one-on-one during the week is the one calling the plays into his helmet during games.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/09/21/Week3/1.html

Hawgdriver
09-22-2008, 09:23 AM
Ok, based on what we are hearing about Jeremy Bates and how much of these game plans and play calling is his, I think that is pretty exciting. He appears to have a great relationship with Cutler, ala Shanny/Elway, and appears to be coming up with some great game plans.

Although I think his father was horrible in Denver, Jeremy is looking like a real star.

I am glad these reports validate my hunch about Bates--that you all said was bogus! :elefant:

Ok, that's pretty tacky...but I had to.

broncofaninfla
09-22-2008, 09:35 AM
Very happy to have him. The kid is good!

Tned
09-22-2008, 02:33 PM
I am glad these reports validate my hunch about Bates--that you all said was bogus! :elefant:

Ok, that's pretty tacky...but I had to.

I understand, tacky or not, I have done similar things myself. When you get slammed pretty hard for certain things, it is human nature to 'remind' people of it when you turn out correct.

Good call.

Hawgdriver
09-22-2008, 04:10 PM
Us 32-somethings have to stick together...:cool:

Thanks for the props.