PDA

View Full Version : Q&A: Bank on Fox getting the Broncos' offense closer to a 50-50 split run and pass

TXBRONC
01-25-2011, 12:33 PM
Q&A: Bank on Fox getting the Broncos' offense closer to a 50-50 split run and pass
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 01/25/2011 01:00:00 AM MST

Q: If new Broncos coach John Fox is going to have a more balanced offense, do you think Knowshon Moreno is capable of being the featured tailback? How is LenDale White's recovery going? Do you see White playing a larger role in the offense?

A: Fox is going to shoot for more balance on offense. But after seeing what the Broncos did offensively in 2009 and 2010, that won't be difficult to achieve. In Josh McDaniels' two seasons (28 games) as their coach and play caller, the Broncos were one-dimensional on offense. They ran the ball just 39 percent of the time in 2010 after running it 42.6 percent of the time in 2009.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17185891

This what I prefer.

MadMax
01-25-2011, 01:36 PM
Well, if we go to the ZBS again I really think Knowshon will look like a completely different back. Seems to me his best plays were when he had a little space to run in, he was really elusive and was great at breaking that first tackle. It was the power running stuff that he didn't do too well with I just don't think he has the strength to plow through linemen. And its been a while, but a lot of the pre-draft stuff talked about how Knowshon looked perfect for any team running a ZBS we'll have to see.

I really want to Lendale succeed him being a home town boy and all (it's not practical, but I also like to see teams give extra opportunities to players that received career threatening injuries playing for them), but if Fox does grab Williams or another one of his guys, there just won't be that many reasons for the Broncos to hang on to him. But man, healthy I think Lendale has what it takes to be a beast of a short yardage back.

Traveler
01-25-2011, 02:02 PM
Well, if we go to the ZBS again I really think Knowshon will look like a completely different back. Seems to me his best plays were when he had a little space to run in, he was really elusive and was great at breaking that first tackle. It was the power running stuff that he didn't do too well with I just don't think he has the strength to plow through linemen. And its been a while, but a lot of the pre-draft stuff talked about how Knowshon looked perfect for any team running a ZBS we'll have to see.

I really want to Lendale succeed him being a home town boy and all (it's not practical, but I also like to see teams give extra opportunities to players that received career threatening injuries playing for them), but if Fox does grab Williams or another one of his guys, there just won't be that many reasons for the Broncos to hang on to him. But man, healthy I think Lendale has what it takes to be a beast of a short yardage back.

After watching Knowshon here in GA and his last two years with the team, it seems to me that Knowshon doesn't have the vision to spot open running lanes in a ZBS. Correct me if I'm wrong.

dogfish
01-25-2011, 02:09 PM

i think he's an obvious fit for the ZBS. . . .

TXBRONC
01-25-2011, 02:10 PM

After watching Knowshon here in GA and his last two years with the team, it seems to me that Knowshon doesn't have the vision to spot open running lanes in a ZBS. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Maybe I remembering wrong, but I thought we were running the zone blocking scheme for good portion of the '09 season and after Moreno was up to speed he seemed to be catching on then McDaniels decided to go full time to the power blocking scheme.

Traveler
01-25-2011, 02:17 PM
Maybe I remembering wrong, but I thought we were running the zone blocking scheme for good portion of the '09 season and after Moreno was up to speed he seemed to be catching on then McDaniels decided to go full time to the power blocking scheme.

I actually think because McDaniels tried to implement a hybrid ZBS/Power running scheme hurt both the lineman and Moreno. Didn't seem like Moreno was comfortable with either one IMO.

SOCALORADO.
01-25-2011, 02:20 PM

I think they tinkered with it.
Knowshow is just not fast. At all.
He not a good blocker either.
And not much of a threat outta the backfield catching the ball.
And i wouldnt put too much stock in Whites return either.
The run game needs some serious fuel injection.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3403/3619209953_5b1054f00c.jpg
( and yes, i am talkin bout the bald guy in the white shirt!)

TXBRONC
01-25-2011, 02:23 PM
I actually think because McDaniels tried to implement a hybrid ZBS/Power running scheme hurt both the lineman and Moreno. Didn't seem like Moreno was comfortable with either one IMO.

I agree, I thought it was a terrible idea to mix the two.

Agent of Orange
01-25-2011, 02:24 PM

I agree with this. I don't see why everyone wants to think he's perfect for the ZBS. He's not patient, he dances around too much, he doesn't really see the cutback as much as you'd hope, and he doesn't really run downhill well because he likes to juke so much.

Bosco
01-25-2011, 07:54 PM
Not surprising, but I'm still not happy with this move. These days you need to be aiming for around a 55-45 or even 60-40 split favoring the pass. Anything less than that is not optimal.

dogfish
01-25-2011, 08:50 PM
Not surprising, but I'm still not happy with this move. These days you need to be aiming for around a 55-45 or even 60-40 split favoring the pass. Anything less than that is not optimal.

have you explained this to mike tomlin or rex ryan?

i'm sure they'd be fascinated. . .

:heh:

horsepig
01-25-2011, 08:53 PM
You nhever know. If somebody starts winning bigtime, like the Steelers with a great running game, everybody else will follow suit real quick like.

TXBRONC
01-25-2011, 11:23 PM
You nhever know. If somebody starts winning bigtime, like the Steelers with a great running game, everybody else will follow suit real quick like.

It's a proven formula for succees. If can have a close to a 50-50 spilt teams have to play you straight up.

We had a 61-39 split to the tune of a 3-9 record under McDaniels. If

LSIGRAD09
01-25-2011, 11:26 PM
Good. We need a balanced offense. A great running game brought us the Super Bowls, we need it again.

TXBRONC
01-25-2011, 11:38 PM
Good. We need a balanced offense. A great running game brought us the Super Bowls, we need it again.

If you can have that kind of balance it's very hard to defend.