PDA

View Full Version : 2-0 this time last year too. What's the difference now?

MasterShake
09-21-2008, 09:57 AM
It may seem like a dumb question, but we must remember that we were 2-0 this time last year too. I'm going to use 3 bullet points for my answer:

-We have an invincibility about our offense so far
-We are not beating opponents, we are ripping their hearts out through their noses and pouring salt on their eyes.
-Our defense is suspect, but I suspect our Offense could pull us out of any game.

I'll admit, I am worried about the defense but so far so good. So what do you guys think the biggest difference is (or is it a mirage) between this 2-0 and last years 2-0?

LRtagger
09-21-2008, 10:00 AM
Last year we BARELY squeeked by two terrible to mediocre teams. This year we demolished a bad team and took it to a Super Bowl contender.

We have scored more points in each of the first two games this year than we did combined in the first two games of last year.

Broncolingus
09-21-2008, 10:00 AM
I like the fact that we are (yet again) 2-0, and love the 'wide-open' offense, but minus a bad call and stupid NFL rule, Denver should be 1-1.

- wide open offense is cool
- beat one opponent soundly, the other opponent came back and (ostensibly) won the second game
- defensive line is (for the um-teenth year in a row now) MIA and will cost us against the 'good' teams in the league (unless fixed)

Bronco9798
09-21-2008, 10:01 AM
Play calling and coaching on the offense. No more Dinger calling the plays.

Defense hasn't changed. Bates is gone and we still can't administer a pass rush. This defense could actually be worse then last years. Is that possible?

Spider
09-21-2008, 10:02 AM
the difference is cutler .. the oline .... but mostly Cutler , ice water in his veins

MHCBill
09-21-2008, 10:06 AM
Play calling and coaching on the offense. No more Dinger calling the plays.

Defense hasn't changed. Bates is gone and we still can't administer a pass rush. This defense could actually be worse then last years. Is that possible?Ahhhh... where is Larry Coker these days.

I actually think that's the best the defense played during the last 10 years... when he was running it.

If nothing else he would bring elaborate blitzes to put pressure on the QB. He knew the front four couldn't always get there so he'd sprinkle in various blitzes.

Bring Larry back!!!

MileHighWrath
09-21-2008, 10:07 AM
After week 2 last year Denver had scored a total 39 points. This year they have scored a total of 80. Last year they beat a weak bills team by 1 and squeaked by the POS fade by only 3. This year the fade may as well have stayed in the locker room and they put up 39 against the mighty chargers, who some favor to go to the SB. The fact that the Broncos are 2-0 and the chargers are 0-2 provides even more reason for optimism.

Oh ... and they just look freakin awesome on offensive this year.

Bronco9798
09-21-2008, 10:09 AM
Ahhhh... where is Larry Coker these days.

I actually think that's the best the defense played during the last 10 years... when he was running it.

If nothing else he would bring elaborate blitzes to put pressure on the QB. He knew the front four couldn't always get there so he'd sprinkle in various blitzes.

Bring Larry back!!!

Greg Robinson wasn't scared to blitz either. But, he was awful and still is. He was just in the right place at the right time and benefited from that offense back then. But, those defenses of his were very good at blitzing.

Drill-N-Fill
09-21-2008, 10:11 AM
Ahhhh... where is Larry Coker these days.

Bring Larry back!!!

Coyer? :shocked:

Skinny
09-21-2008, 10:17 AM
So what do you guys think the biggest difference is (or is it a mirage) between this 2-0 and last years 2-0?We have more offense this year. We have more options and we're healthier too. Going into week #3 last season, Javon was out with his knee and Scheff was still recovering from his foot injury.

We're better along the O-line at this point to i think. Clady is playing as well as Lepsis was if not better and Hamilton is back. Harris is playing very well at RT too. Though we are without Nalen right now, Casey has played well for a newb and has held his own so far.

And of course there's Jay play. He looks so much more cinfident and energetic today than he did this time last year. He's in more command of the offense and having just that one other option on the feild in Royal has made him that much more effective.

Sad part is we're healthier on defense too but we're still struggling on that side of the ball. Still looking for a pass rush in crucial situations and giving up too much yardage and big plays.

:2cents:

frauschieze
09-21-2008, 10:46 AM
We figured out how to score in the red zone. :salute:

Italianmobstr7
09-21-2008, 10:56 AM
No one has mentioned on top of our offense being awesome, that we have been stopping the run. The Raiders got almost all of their rushing yards in garbage time, and we held the Chargers to just 80 yards rushing also. We badly need a pass rush, but even if we don't have one, I feel like our offense can score with anybody, and maybe outscore anybody.

omac
09-21-2008, 12:14 PM
I like the fact that we are (yet again) 2-0, and love the 'wide-open' offense, but minus a bad call and stupid NFL rule, Denver should be 1-1.

- wide open offense is cool
- beat one opponent soundly, the other opponent came back and (ostensibly) won the second game
- defensive line is (for the um-teenth year in a row now) MIA and will cost us against the 'good' teams in the league (unless fixed)

Yes, Denver should've been 1-1, but it had nothing to do with SD's defense. It would've been a gift off of a freak fumble. Denver should've won more comfortably, but they let SD get in the game. Almost like agains the Bears last season, where the Broncos should've won easily, but they let the Bears in the game.

REB
09-21-2008, 01:13 PM
Cutler in his 3rd year.

O-line doing a good job with pass protection.

Doing a better job in the redzone.

omac
09-21-2008, 01:27 PM
Cutler in his 3rd year.

O-line doing a good job with pass protection.

Doing a better job in the redzone.

Yeah, the redzone was a big topic last season. No problems there.

Chica_Ang
09-21-2008, 01:39 PM
Mike cleaned house. :salute:

G_Money
09-21-2008, 01:50 PM
- Offense scoring touchdowns, not field goals. As frau said, we might have finally figured out this red-zone thing, thank God.

- Related to that, no Heimerdinger as 9798 said. Getting back to a SHANAHAN offense is nice, even though we're throwing to set up the run now.

- Swagger. We didn't have swagger last year. We came out of the gate scared and never lost that deer-in-the-headlights look even when we squeaked out victories. This year, we came out from the very first play and walked onto the field like we owned it. Even our defense isn't afraid. Terrible, yes, but they're at least game.

But our lack of a pass rush is only gonna be more and more exposed as teams pass to keep up with us. Alternately, we'll get to find out if we really CAN stop the run, as they try to keep our offense on the sideline when they can by pounding the ball at us.

Our defense is still a weakness, but fixing the offense in an off-season is pretty heady stuff. The great thing about having an explosive offense is that we're not ever out of it. So even if our defense is letting us down our O should always be able to make a game of it.

For as long as we can keep Jay alive, anyway. Stay clean out there Jay. When your jersey's sparkling we look pretty ferocious - a far cry from last year's wallow in mediocrity.

~G

BroncoWave
09-21-2008, 02:13 PM
One similarity I noticed is that in week 2 of both seasons we won by getting very fortunate on questionable rules (The FG timeout against Oakland, and the fumble against SD).

omac
09-21-2008, 02:48 PM
One similarity I noticed is that in week 2 of both seasons we won by getting very fortunate on questionable rules (The FG timeout against Oakland, and the fumble against SD).

The FG timeout against Oakland was not questionable; it was definitely within the rules, and even Kiffin used it later on. Also, even though the botched fumble call should've cost us the game, Denver was not given the game by the ref; they still had to make 2 tough passing plays into the endzone when the Chargers knew it was coming. So both times, the "calls" didn't get us the win; the players did.

omac
09-21-2008, 02:51 PM
On a side note, the same Raider team that we didn't get any respect for trouncing on, is hanging pretty tough and may still be leading against a very solid Buffalo team. So maybe their defense wasn't as bad as we made them look.

BroncoWave
09-21-2008, 06:29 PM
The FG timeout against Oakland was not questionable; it was definitely within the rules, and even Kiffin used it later on. Also, even though the botched fumble call should've cost us the game, Denver was not given the game by the ref; they still had to make 2 tough passing plays into the endzone when the Chargers knew it was coming. So both times, the "calls" didn't get us the win; the players did.

You totally misinterpreted that statement. I said they were questionable RULES, not questionable CALLS. And I never said the calls won us the game, I said we got very fortunate on said calls that helped us win those games.

MOtorboat
09-21-2008, 06:36 PM
You totally misinterpreted that statement.

:laugh: