PDA

View Full Version : Eric Decker interview...

PAINTERDAVE
01-24-2011, 11:47 PM
So this guy going to Broadcasters school...
he got to interview Eric Decker today.
This is what he reported the interview was like...

Caliraiderhater

Ok, so today was officially awesome! I am going to school in hopes of doing some sports broadcasting (dream job in Denver) and today I was actually able to do my first interview with a Denver Bronco! I will give a quick breakdown of how the interview went! First of all he was right on time, we had it scheduled for 4pm and our studio phone rang at exactly 4. So right off the bat he was a really cool professional guy. We had some technical difficulties at the beginning, however worked through them and got everything figured out. I am going to do this from memory so it will be in a nutshell and there is a good chance I will accidently leave some stuff out. Overall it was about a 10 minute interview. I will try and post a link soon with the actual interview!

It started out with me asking him how his offseason has been so far, and if it has been more business or pleasure.

In a nutshell he said definitely more pleasure, he was happy he was able to spend time with his wife, which he hadn't been able to do much during the season. He also said has been working on getting his body feeling good again. He was also excited because he had some trips lined up which he was looking forward too.

I then went with that and asked, was there a big difference on the toll your body took in a college season compared to an NFL season.

He said no doubt! He mentioned how he didn't play as much in the beginning of the season as he did towards the end yet his body still felt like it took more abuse than in a full college season.

My co host asked if he had a chance to meet with John Fox since being named the head coach.

Decker said he had. He also had a chance to meet him in the pre draft deal out in Carolina and has always been a big fan of his. He said Fox is a proven winner in this league & he considers him a true Man's man.

I said there has been a lot of changes in the front office aside from Fox being named HC, I mentioned Elway as the VP of football operations, and Xanders having more say in the personal department, I asked what was the feeling in the locker room like as to the direction the Broncos organization was headed.

He said the players are excited, with new people taking over it brings a lot of new things and as long as the players buy into what they are selling he thinks it will be a good mix. He also talked about how he thinks Elway joining the team as VP of football opp is a great thing. He was a great player with tons of knowledge about the game and has been a very successful business man so he brings the best of both worlds to his position.

He was asked how he felt about Mike McCoy coming back to run the offense

He said he was excited about him, they players like him and he thinks it will mean great things to have the same guy calling plays to keep some continuity to the offense they ran last season.

I asked did he have a high/low point to his rookie season, did he ever have a "I made it moment"

He answered in kind of a round about way, however with lots of info. He said his whole rookie season was filled great moments that made him realize how fortunate he was to be playing the sport he loves. However how much more time he has to spend on football compared to in college.

He was asked what was the biggest obstacle he had to transition from in the move to the NFL

He said it was the fact you were playing against the best of the best, everybody got to where they are for a reason. He also mentioned the speed of NFL defenses.

I then told him I was a big fan of his when he was in college and was thrilled when the Broncos got him in the 3rd round, and how that was a steal. However I asked him about the statistic of being targeted 354 times in his college career and only amassing 3 drops and if that was a true stat!

He laughed and said he didn't ever keep track of stats, however that was always his goal as a WR. To run clean sharp routs, and simply catch the ball when it was thrown to him.

We were running out of time so I then said I had one more question for him. I talked about the fans on these message boards, and how I asked for all of your questions you wanted to ask him and was going to pick one. I used "on2's" question

As a Bronco that's been quietly compared to the likes of Ed McCaffrey by fans and the sports media, what is his take on those percieved similarities?

He said he was honored and that he picked #87 for a reason. He grew up watching Ed McCaffrey and just loved how when he played he gave everything heart & soul every play. He said he is going to continue to work extremely hard so hopefully those similarities and comparisons continue throughout his career so he can make McCaffrey & the fans proud!

I know I probably left quite a bit out so I apologize for that. I will continue to try to get that link for all of you. But that was the basic version of our interview! Thanks again so much for the support and all of the questions. I really appreciate it!

chazoe60
01-25-2011, 12:02 AM
Thanks for posting that Dave. Tell caliraiderhater I said he did an excellent job.

Lonestar
08-08-2011, 09:29 PM
not sure if this has been posted before.. but it gives some insight to the kid..

http://www.vimeo.com/27424012

worth 13 minutes of your time..