PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Allen DC

BeefStew25
01-24-2011, 11:44 PM
My sources tell me Dennis Allen is our new DC. Standby.

BORDERLINE
01-24-2011, 11:49 PM
My sources???.....

seen it on twitter....I don't really know what to think.

i tought we where going after the GB defensive line coach???

BeefStew25
01-24-2011, 11:51 PM
Nope. Story to follow soon. Standby.

PAINTERDAVE
01-24-2011, 11:53 PM
Playing career -

Allen was a highly-recruited defensive back at L. D. Bell High School in Hurst, Texas before choosing to follow in his father's footsteps and play for Texas A&M. Allen was a 4-year letterman for the Aggies as a safety from 1992-1995. He started the final 21 games of his career on the top-rated Texas A&M "Wrecking Crew" defense. His fourth-quarter interception clinched an 18-9 victory over rival Texas in 1993, sending the Aggies to their third-straight Cotton Bowl Classic. He won Southwest Conference Defensive Player of the Week honors after intercepting two passes in a 36-14 win over Oklahoma in 1994. Allen was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Buffalo Bills and competed in their training camp in 1996.

Coaching career -

College - Allen began his coaching career at his alma mater, serving as a graduate assistant coach under his old coach R. C. Slocum for four seasons (1996–1999), working primarily with the secondary. He then went on to Tulsa where he was a secondary coach for two seasons (2000–2001).

National Football League - In 2002, Allen’s first year with the Falcons, when he assisted in coaching the defensive backfield, the club tied for third in the NFL with 24 interceptions and improved from 30th vs. the pass in 2001 to 16th the following year.

Over his last two years in Atlanta, the Falcons’ defensive line was the anchor of the defense. In 2004, Atlanta led the NFL for the first time in club history with 48 sacks and the unit sent DE Patrick Kerney to the Pro Bowl. In 2005 DT Rod Coleman represented the club in the postseason all-star game and the Falcons notched 37 sacks.

In 2006, Allen was in charge of the Saints' defensive line, who combined for over 290 tackles, 28.5 sacks, six forced fumbles and six fumble recoveries. The season was highlighted by the Pro Bowl selection DE Will Smith.

Coaching tree - NFL head coaches under whom Dennis Allen has served:

Wade Phillips: Dallas Cowboys
Sean Payton: New Orleans Saints

LSIGRAD09
01-24-2011, 11:57 PM
It's on Rotoworld too, must be legit.

Welcome aboard!

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=199338&id=1966

camdisco24
01-24-2011, 11:57 PM
foxsports.com should have the first story... keep an eye out.

camdisco24
01-24-2011, 11:58 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/denver-broncos-hire-defensive-coordinator-012411

Chris90210
01-25-2011, 12:00 AM
Interesting

Buff
01-25-2011, 12:00 AM
Somebody sell me on this guy. Seems like we got the 3rd best candidate behind Mora and Trgovac to me.

Kind of like we got the third or fourth best option at head coach.

Just not really enthused about rebuilding the defense into a 4-3 modeled after the Panthers and Saints.

tubby
01-25-2011, 12:04 AM
Hmm. How does he compare to Slowick?

chazoe60
01-25-2011, 12:09 AM
Hmm. How does he compare to Slowick?

Well, he's a football coach so that right there gives him a leg up on Slowick.

tubby
01-25-2011, 12:14 AM
Entering his fifth year with the Saints, Dennis Allen begins his third season as secondary coach after serving as assistant defensive line coach during his first two years with the club. A nine-year NFL coaching veteran, Allen brings a well-rounded base of experience to his position – with an emphasis on working with defensive backs – and a strong reputation for his teaching skills.

In 2009, the Saints’ secondary overcame injuries to both starting cornerbacks that cost them much of the second half of the season, but still posted 20 interceptions and returned five of those picks for touchdowns. Defensive backs also made large contributions in the postseason, with CB Tracy Porter intercepting a pass late in the NFC Championhip game to send the game to overtime and returning an interception for a touchdown in the fourth quarter of Super Bowl XLIV to ice the victory.

ntering his fifth year with the Saints, Dennis Allen begins his third season as secondary coach after serving as assistant defensive line coach during his first two years with the club. A nine-year NFL coaching veteran, Allen brings a well-rounded base of experience to his position – with an emphasis on working with defensive backs – and a strong reputation for his teaching skills.

In 2009, the Saints’ secondary overcame injuries to both starting cornerbacks that cost them much of the second half of the season, but still posted 20 interceptions and returned five of those picks for touchdowns. Defensive backs also made large contributions in the postseason, with CB Tracy Porter intercepting a pass late in the NFC Championhip game to send the game to overtime and returning an interception for a touchdown in the fourth quarter of Super Bowl XLIV to ice the victory.

While serving as assistant defensive line coach from 2006-07, Allen helped develop a unit that ranked as one of the strengths of the Saints’ defense. During that stretch, the defensive front combined for 48.5 sacks, 10 forced fumbles and 10 fumble recoveries and DE Will Smith was voted to the 2006 Pro Bowl.

Allen joined the Saints after a four-year stint with the Atlanta Falcons, where he spent his final two years as defensive assistant/quality control, with an emphasis on working with the defensive line. Over the previous two seasons, he was in charge of defensive quality control while helping tutor the secondary.

Over his last two years in Atlanta, the Falcons’ defense was paced by the play of the front four. In 2004, Atlanta led the NFL for the first time in club history with 48 sacks and the unit sent DE Patrick Kerney to the Pro Bowl. In 2005 DT Rod Coleman represented the club in the Pro Bowl and the Falcons notched 37 sacks.

In 2002, Allen’s first year with the Falcons, he assisted in coaching the defensive backfield. Atlanta improved to 16th against the pass after ranking 30th the year before, and tied for third in the NFL with 24 interceptions.

Taking over as the Saints’ secondary coach in 2008 was a return to Allen’s coaching roots. He had two stints working with defensive backs in the past on the college level.

Allen worked as the secondary coach for the University of Tulsa (2000-01) before heading to the NFL. Prior to his stint at Tulsa, Allen was on the coaching staff for four years (1996-99) at Texas A&M as a graduate assistant, working primarily with the school’s secondary.

A native of Hurst, Texas, Allen earned four letters for Texas A&M as a safety from 1992-95 and started the final 21 games of his career. A highlight was his fourth-quarter interception that clinched an 18-9 victory over Texas in 1993, sending the Aggies to their third-straight Cotton Bowl. He collected Southwest Conference Defensive Player of the Week honors after intercepting two passes in a 36-14 win over Oklahoma in 1994.

Allen was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Buffalo Bills and competed in their training camp in 1996. Allen’s father, Grady, was a linebacker for the Falcons from 1969-72.

He and his wife, Alisson, have a son, Garrison and a daughter, Layla.

PLAYING CAREER: Texas A&M, 1992-95.
COACHING CAREER: Texas A&M, 1996-1999; University of Tulsa, 2000-01; Atlanta Falcons, 2002-05; New Orleans Saints, 2006-.

dogfish
01-25-2011, 12:22 AM
interesting. . .

i would've preferred trgovac, he's obviously a more experienced and proven candidate. . .

i want to know what front allen's going to run, although 4-3 would seem likely. . . although. . . he did coach for two years under wade philips in atlanta, so he has experience with the 3-4 as well. . .

i'm not so thrilled to have essentially first-time coordinators on both sides of the ball. . . thank god we at least got a legitimate veteran head coach! this could have been a catastrophe with a first-time head coach in addition to new VP, newbie GM, and a raw quarterback. . . i do think it might be inevitable for us to slide back into the coach-dominated model if these new coordinators aren't strong personalities. . .

i hope that doesn't happen, but it's the risk you take putting an experienced coach in charge of such an inexperienced staff-- if those guys don't prove up to their tasks, the temptation to meddle will be almost irresistible. . . ask andy reid, who reportedly called a lot of philly's defense this year, and then fired mcdermott. . . still, that risk is probably more palatable than the risk of having no experienced hand anywhere in the command structure, which invites total disaster-- as we just saw, to our great disgust. . .

retaining mccoy makes sense, especially with the unique circumstances presented by labor uncertainty. . . i hope allen ws picked because he's the bright up-and-comer he's portrayed as, not because he was cheap and available. . . fluff aside, i do like the idea of getting a bright young coach from sean payton's staff-- those guys know what they're doing. . . gregg williams is a legitimately aggressive coordinator, one of the few that actually lives up to that vastly overused term. . . wade is a relatively aggressive DC also. . . if allen brings some of that philosophy with him, it will go an AWFULLY long way with me. . .

the one reservation i had about trgovac was that he reportedly has more the dreaded bend-but-don't-break philosophy, or at least did when he was in carolina. . . i loathe that shit deep in my bones. . . if allen isn't scared to dial up blitzes, i'll happily be his first friend and biggest fan here. . .

i'm interested to see who else we get as positional coaches. . . i'd love to see us bring in someone like carl hairston as a specific pass rush coach. . .

dogfish
01-25-2011, 12:25 AM
Well, he's a football coach so that right there gives him a leg up on Slowick.

good point. . . if allen is also unafraid of his own shadow, there really IS no comparison to slowick. . . .

tubby
01-25-2011, 12:26 AM
He is a white male...... so, that's a plus. :coffee:

:defense:

ikillz0mbies
01-25-2011, 12:29 AM
Wow, that was sudden. He just interview and BAM, he's the new DC. I don't really know enough about him other than he became a hot DC candidate. It will be interesting to see how he runs things on defense.

Buff
01-25-2011, 12:30 AM
interesting. . .

i would've preferred trgovac, he's obviously a more experienced and proven candidate. . .

i want to know what front he's going to run, although 4-3 would seem likely. . .

i'm not so thrilled to have essentially first-time coordinators on both sides of the ball. . . thank god we at least got a legitimate veteran head coach! this could have been a catastrophe with a first-time head coach in addition to new VP, newbie GM, and a raw quarterback. . . i do think it might be inevitable for us to slide back into the coach-dominated model if these new coordinators aren't strong personalities. . .

i hope that doesn't happen, but it's the risk you take putting an experienced coach in charge of such an inexperienced staff-- if those guys don't prove up to their tasks, the temptation to meddle will be almost irresistible. . . ask andy reid, who reportedly called a lot of philly's defense this year, and then fired mcdermott. . . still, that risk is probably more palatable than the risk of having no experienced hand anywhere in the command structure, which invites total disaster-- as we just saw, to our great disgust. . .

retaining mccoy makes sense, especially with the unique circumstances presented by labor uncertainty. . . i hope allen ws picked because he's the bright up-and-comer he's portrayed as, not because he was cheap and available. . . fluff aside, i do like the idea of getting a bright young coach from sean payton's staff-- those guys know what they're doing. . . gregg williams is a legitimately aggressive coordinator, one of the few that actually lives up to that vastly overused term. . . if allen brings some of that philosophy with him, it will go an AWFULLY long way with me. . .

the one reservation i had about trgovac was that he reportedly has more the dreaded bend-but-don't-break philosophy, or at least did when he was in carolina. . . i loathe that shit deep in my bones. . . if allen isn't scared to dial up blitzes, i'll happily be his first friend and biggest fan here. . .

i'm interested to see who else we get as positional coaches. . . i'd love to see us bring in someone like carl hairston as a specific pass rush coach. . .

Pretty sure Fox is of the bend-but-don't-break philosophy... Which, IMO, is not a ******* philosophy. It's the absence of a defensive philosophy. It's calling a straight up vanilla gameplan and waiting for the offense to make a mistake instead of forcing them into one. Or, in other words, the Denver Broncos from 2000-Present.

I need someone to talk me off the ledge. The Buffs just missed out on a big-time recruit who was down to two schools. Now we're bringing in a green defensive coordinator to rebuild this mess. Does anyone know wtf they're doing?

tubby
01-25-2011, 12:35 AM
John Fox does not have a lisp soooooo the Broncos have that going for them.

dogfish
01-25-2011, 12:43 AM
I need someone to talk me off the ledge. The Buffs just missed out on a big-time recruit who was down to two schools. Now we're bringing in a green defensive coordinator to rebuild this mess. Does anyone know wtf they're doing?

i'm not going to pretend to know enough about the guy to do so, but. . .

he is from a quality staff (one of the league's current best organizations), and has been trained by very strong coaches. . . and he's done a first-rate job of developing talent as a position coach, working with both the defensive line and the secondary. . . that has to count for something, especially on a team that's hopefully going to have young talent at both of those spots going forward. . . right?

FWIW, the eagles were also interested in him, and andy reid is an exceptionally keen judge of coaching talent. . . does that help?

his qualifications are about what you're going to get from a positional coach-- all the greats started as green first-timers at one point. . . don't get me wrong, it's not my first choice of directions either. . . but it has worked plenty of times in the past, and i don't have a problem with his qualifications myself. . .

i honestly like this a lot more than hiring mora, who i thought was a fairly bland DC in his one appearance. . . JMO. . . we would've needed a lot of talent on that side of the ball even if we could have hired a stud like capers or nolan, so i need to see if the new guy's going to get anything to work with before i even get too concerned about who he is. . .

i'm looking forward to confirmation on what base front we're going to run. . .

and not so much looking forward to the inevitable puff pices about how aggressive the guy is. . . show me that shit on the field, i've gotten to the point that reading about it just makes me cringe. . .

Buff
01-25-2011, 12:46 AM
It's like, through this entire shit sandwich of a season I've been able to kind of keep it together and try and spin things positively.

And now, right when I should be the most optimistic about the future, I feel like I'm sick of trying to pretend this shit sandwich tastes good.

We are getting turned down by coaches left and right. We're switching to a defensive scheme which has proven to be inferior to the 3-4 in recent years. (Pretty sure 3-4 teams were like 4-0 against 4-3 teams in the playoffs this year.) We've got rookies in the front office, rookies for coordinators, and the worst defense in the league returning.

I'm tired of being blindly optimistic.

dogfish
01-25-2011, 12:53 AM
okay man, i tried. . . :lol:

guess i can cross suicide prevention hotline operator off my list of future careers. . .

Buff
01-25-2011, 01:00 AM
okay man, i tried. . . :lol:

guess i can cross suicide prevention hotline operator off my list of future careers. . .

In your defense, I had that typed up before I read your post...

I just don't like how the Broncos are turning into the Buffs. I go through this drill every year with the Buffs - you miss out on all of your top recruiting targets, you lose an assistant coach or two to better jobs around the country and then you still try to convince yourself that you've got the pieces you need to be successful.

Maybe we do. But I don't like that multiple head coaching candidates said "thanks, but no thanks." Then Mora gave us the stiff arm for defensive coordinator. I sort of anticipate Bailey taking a hike in the off-season, although technically I think it's time to rebuild the defense with a new centerpiece.

I just can't believe how bad it's gotten. Maybe it shouldn't be such a shock considering we haven't been to the playoffs in five years... Or maybe I'm just finally coming to terms with the fact that I'm a blind homer who hitched my wagon to a couple of perennial losers. I don't know what it is, but this DC announcement sent me right over the edge.

Ravage!!!
01-25-2011, 01:13 AM
the 43 is not inferior to the 34

dogfish
01-25-2011, 01:17 AM

I just don't like how the Broncos are turning into the Buffs. I go through this drill every year with the Buffs - you miss out on all of your top recruiting targets, you lose an assistant coach or two to better jobs around the country and then you still try to convince yourself that you've got the pieces you need to be successful.

Maybe we do. But I don't like that multiple head coaching candidates said "thanks, but no thanks." Then Mora gave us the stiff arm for defensive coordinator. I sort of anticipate Bailey taking a hike in the off-season, although technically I think it's time to rebuild the defense with a new centerpiece.

I just can't believe how bad it's gotten. Maybe it shouldn't be such a shock considering we haven't been to the playoffs in five years... Or maybe I'm just finally coming to terms with the fact that I'm a blind homer who hitched my wagon to a couple of perennial losers. I don't know what it is, but this DC announcement sent me right over the edge.

sorry, i hear ya-- for sure. . .

compared to the good players the team has lost (not to mention the nugs about to lose melo), an inexperienced DC doesn't freak me out that much. . .

i don't like guys turning down interviews either, but mora did withdraw his name from philly as well-- i think that was pretty clearly a money issue, straight up. . . and i think we dodged a bullet with mularkey-- did not want! the fact that we hired a proven HC instead of going with dennison has soothed my anxiety considerably. . . hell, i think we have a far superior coach to what we had the last two freakin' years. . .

i won't try to kid you about us having the pieces, but at least we have the resources to get some pieces if we don't screw it up. . . i'm typically not that optimistic, but i feel fairly confident that fox won't ever lose to the raiders by forty-five ****ing points at home. . . .

i'm with you 1000% on the going back to the 43 thing-- i will also hate that if we do it. . . although i'm resigned, i won't give up hope completely until it's formally announced. . .

and maybe i'm just dumb, but i legitimately prefer a new DC who learned from multiple aggressive coaches than jim mora and his defenses that perpetually ranked bottom of the league in 3rd down conversion percentage. . .

Buff
01-25-2011, 01:36 AM
sorry, i hear ya-- for sure. . .

compared to the good players the team has lost (not to mention the nugs about to lose melo), an inexperienced DC doesn't freak me out that much. . .

i don't like guys turning down interviews either, but mora did withdraw his name from philly as well-- i think that was pretty clearly a money issue, straight up. . . and i think we dodged a bullet with mularkey-- did not want! the fact that we hired a proven HC instead of going with dennison has soothed my anxiety considerably. . . hell, i think we have a far superior coach to what we had the last two freakin' years. . .

i won't try to kid you about us having the pieces, but at least we have the resources to get some pieces if we don't screw it up. . . i'm typically not that optimistic, but i feel fairly confident that fox won't ever lose to the raiders by forty-five ****ing points at home. . . .

i'm with you 1000% on the going back to the 43 thing-- i will also hate that if we do it. . . although i'm resigned, i won't give up hope completely until it's formally announced. . .

and maybe i'm just dumb, but i legitimately prefer a new DC who learned from multiple aggressive coaches than jim mora and his defenses that perpetually ranked bottom of the league in 3rd down conversion percentage. . .

Two things I liked better about Mora's resume compared to Allen's:

1.) He is a former NFL head coach. There are only so many of those floating around at the coordinator level. As Dirk Koetter said in his HC interview, being in the HC chair at some point makes you a better assistant later on down the road.

2.) He had been out of the game for a year or two, but he was working as an analyst at NFLN. So, not only was he hungry to get back in, but he had been working around a lot of former coaches and players at NFLN, which I think had to of given him some new perspective and new ideas for schemes, etc.

Granted, it sounds like Mora wanted too much money, but if we wouldn't have cluster****** the other two coaching exits so badly then maybe we could afford to pay top $$ and fix this eternally cluster****** defense.

I DO like that Allen most recently worked under Sean Payton, who is one of the Top 5 coaches in the league. But what I don't like is that Payton is an offensive guru who left the defense to Gregg Williams. People around the NFL either seem to love or hate Williams.

Obviously I'm going to give Allen a shot, and given how bad our defense has been in recent years, it's hard to picture it getting much worse (But how many years in a row have we been saying that now?)

dogfish
01-25-2011, 01:38 AM
it's now posted on the official site. . .

On Monday, Dennis Allen agreed to terms to become the Broncos' defensive coordinator. The 10-year coach spent the previous five seasons with the New Orleans Saints.

He joins Mike McCoy (Offensive Coordinator), Jeff Rodgers (Special Teams Coordinator), Clancy Barone (Tight Ends), Brian Callahan (Offensive Quality Control), Adam Gase (Quarterbacks), Dave Magazu (Offensive Line), Wayne Nunnely (Defensive Line), Jay Rodgers (Defensive Quality Control), Eric Studesville (Running Backs) and Tyke Tolbert (Wide Receivers) on Head Coach John Fox's 2011 coaching staff.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Allen-Pegged-as-Defensive-Coordinator/04cfbcf0-d3d5-40e2-8397-92e2a1cfbaff

okay guy, welcome to denver. . . now get out there and build a real defense-- this town is starved for one, you'll be a ****ing rockstar. . .

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/5968/110124alleninside.jpg (http://img40.imageshack.us/i/110124alleninside.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

at least he's not smiling. . . defensive coordinators should never smile at anyone they're not prepared to kill. . .

this is a good start. . .

:drinking:

dogfish
01-25-2011, 01:58 AM
2.) He had been out of the game for a year or two, but he was working as an analyst at NFLN. So, not only was he hungry to get back in, but he had been working around a lot of former coaches and players at NFLN, which I think had to of given him some new perspective and new ideas for schemes, etc.

Granted, it sounds like Mora wanted too much money, but if we wouldn't have cluster****** the other two coaching exits so badly then maybe we could afford to pay top $$ and fix this eternally cluster****** defense.

enh, so hungry to get back in that he turned down a philly job where he would've gotten trent cole, brod bunkley, stewart bradley, asante samuel, nate allen etc to work with? and a great offense that takes pressure off and makes his job easy, plus one of the most stable, functional coaching situations in the league?

yea, he's not that hungry. . .

i don't disagree with you about our frugal approach, but i just don't see mora as a guy whose pedigree should command top dollar. . . no top five defenses on his resume, or iconic playoff victories or anything like that. . . i do wish we were still one of those franchises that would spare no expense, but if you're going to pay dick lebeau money you should get dick lebeau-- or at least somebody like mike nolan. . . not jim mora. . .

(we could've avoided this whole cluster by just doing the right thing and hiring steve spagnuolo two years ago, but that's neither here nor there)

the thing i like best about allen coming from payton's staff is more about philosophy than X's and O's (although working with wade and williams qualifies there). . . payton is a parcell's guy, his whole approach to the game is aggressive-- offense, defense, special teams. . . think onside kick to open the second half of the super bowl. . . it's more a mentality than a scheme thing. . .

that approach would actually seem to go against fox's inherently conservative nature, but maybe the guy learned something facing payton twice a year. . .

we'll see. . . if it does work out, it could be cool to have a guy that will grow here for a while instead of immediately looking to get his name in consideration for head coaching jobs. . .

maybe i'm just giddy that we didn't hire koetter or dennison, but i can think of a lot more depressing things than taking a chance on an assistant with allen's background. . . that parcells coaching tree has produced some good ****ing coaches, and payton is clearly one of them-- it's time for that program to start producing some coaching talent. . .

Buff
01-25-2011, 02:37 AM
enh, so hungry to get back in that he turned down a philly job where he would've gotten trent cole, brod bunkley, stewart bradley, asante samuel, nate allen etc to work with? and a great offense that takes pressure off and makes his job easy, plus one of the most stable, functional coaching situations in the league?

yea, he's not that hungry. . .

i don't disagree with you about our frugal approach, but i just don't see mora as a guy whose pedigree should command top dollar. . . no top five defenses on his resume, or iconic playoff victories or anything like that. . . i do wish we were still one of those franchises that would spare no expense, but if you're going to pay dick lebeau money you should get dick lebeau-- or at least somebody like mike nolan. . . not jim mora. . .

(we could've avoided this whole cluster by just doing the right thing and hiring steve spagnuolo two years ago, but that's neither here nor there)

the thing i like best about allen coming from payton's staff is more about philosophy than X's and O's (although working with wade and williams qualifies there). . . payton is a parcell's guy, his whole approach to the game is aggressive-- offense, defense, special teams. . . think onside kick to open the second half of the super bowl. . . it's more a mentality than a scheme thing. . .

that approach would actually seem to go against fox's inherently conservative nature, but maybe the guy learned something facing payton twice a year. . .

we'll see. . . if it does work out, it could be cool to have a guy that will grow here for a while instead of immediately looking to get his name in consideration for head coaching jobs. . .

maybe i'm just giddy that we didn't hire koetter or dennison, but i can think of a lot more depressing things than taking a chance on an assistant with allen's background. . . that parcells coaching tree has produced some good ****ing coaches, and payton is clearly one of them-- it's time for that program to start producing some coaching talent. . .

He'll be a lot hungrier next year when the Seahawks are no longer paying him not to coach. :D Maybe that wasn't the best argument. Still, I do think he would have brought a fresh perspective and a few new wrinkles from his time at NFLN. And there is something to be said for being a proven leader.

A 4-3 led by Fox and Allen is just not at all what I had in mind a month and a half ago when we fired McD. That's not to say it can't work, but it would have been WAY down my list of preferences.

PAINTERDAVE
01-25-2011, 03:10 AM
The good thing about hiring this young guy...
is that he will not be hired away from us in a season as a Head Coach somewhere.
(Trgovic may have been an attractive HC candidate after a season or two here, with any success)

If Allen will stick around and grow with Fox and the defense for several years...
we can finaly have some consistancy on the defense.

I mean he is the 6th DC we have had in as many years...
we need to STOP this coaching carousel.

I have high hopes for the new era Broncos 2011 and beyond.

cuzz4169
01-25-2011, 03:14 AM
Listen guys this will be fox's defense. This guy is DC by title is all. 4-3 here we come....good!!!

DenBronx
01-25-2011, 03:30 AM
4-3 blows.

spikerman
01-25-2011, 06:47 AM
I wonder how much the selection of Allen had to do with these two little nuggets:

Trgovac, whose daughter who will be a senior in high school next fall, told associates with the Packers that while he would listen to what the Broncos had to say, he wasn't sure if he wanted to move at this point in his coaching career.

and

Before coaching with New Orleans, Allen spent four seasons with the Falcons when Broncos general manager Brian Xanders was in Atlanta's front office.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17188457#ixzz1C2wpBuWE

nh_bronco
01-25-2011, 07:27 AM
1) the ability to fill out its staff sooner than in a minimum of 2 weeks
2) a chance to get its defensive philosophy and schemes in place
3) time for coaches and personnel staffs to be on the same page for upcoming draft
4) a start of the new staff evaluation of the existing players- key for draft & free agency periods
5) a different perspective besides Broncos & Panthers ( 1st NON bronco/ panther coach on staff)
6) the beginnings to rebuild the defense. I found it interesting that the defense - our weakest squad- was the last to get its coaches together. We still need a LB and DB coach. I'd look for names in the next day or two. Could be Richard Smith LB ( with some DC experience) and Mike Gilhammer DB. They were with Fox at Carolina.

GO Broncos.

chazoe60
01-25-2011, 08:00 AM

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Allen-Pegged-as-Defensive-Coordinator/04cfbcf0-d3d5-40e2-8397-92e2a1cfbaff

okay guy, welcome to denver. . . now get out there and build a real defense-- this town is starved for one, you'll be a ****ing rockstar. . .

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/5968/110124alleninside.jpg (http://img40.imageshack.us/i/110124alleninside.jpg/)

at least he's not smiling. . . defensive coordinators should never smile at anyone they're not prepared to kill. . .

Whoa, nice creepy serial killer mugshot he's got there.

Dirk
01-25-2011, 08:02 AM
An interesting choice. :confused:

Like most of it, we will just have to take a "wait and see" approach.

atwater27
01-25-2011, 09:24 AM
I feel way better about this hire than Mora Jr. Seems like a promising young coach.

honz
01-25-2011, 09:27 AM
I love this hire. I have been calling Allen the McDaniels of defensive assistants for years now. Very similar coaching styles and personalities.

TXBRONC
01-25-2011, 09:27 AM
4-3 blows.

It just takes the right personnel. That said, I prefer the 3-4 because I think it gives us more flexibility.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Juriga72
01-25-2011, 09:39 AM
Hey lets make sure we chase away ANYONE who does build a very good defense too....

Oh wait...

nevcraw
01-25-2011, 10:18 AM

"MMMMMhhhhhmmmmmmm... I Like the way you talk".... uuhhhhmmmmm..."

TXBRONC
01-25-2011, 10:25 AM
As it's been mentioned before with Fox as the head coach the defense should still be fine even though we have a first time defensive coordinator.

Traveler
01-25-2011, 10:31 AM
I love this hire. I have been calling Allen the McDaniels of defensive assistants for years now. Very similar coaching styles and personalities.

Not sure if that's a good or bad thing.:confused:

TXBRONC
01-25-2011, 10:39 AM
Not sure if that's a good or bad thing.:confused:

Since he isn't going to be the head coach it shouldn't be a bad thing.

Foochacho
01-25-2011, 11:27 AM
"MMMMMhhhhhmmmmmmm... I Like the way you talk".... uuhhhhmmmmm..."

"I like fried taters"

Cugel
01-25-2011, 11:42 AM
Just not really enthused about rebuilding the defense into a 4-3 modeled after the Panthers and Saints.

That ship sailed when they hired John Fox and failed to hire Ron Rivera. Fox always coached the 4-3 and despite what everybody kept arguing around here, there was never any pressing reason to keep the 3-4 when you need to replace virtually the entire defense anyway.

So, why not replace them with 4-3 players if that's what the coach wants?

I see this as a big plus, because now they can just draft Da'Quan Bowers and plug him in at one DE with Dumervil at the other. Then they can draft a couple of DTs and we're improved.

Just those changes alone would make the defense at least mediocre. And that improvement would let the Broncos stick around in most games with a chance to win in the 4th quarter.

The Saints defense was an aggressive attacking defense that emphasizes turnovers, and that's what Fox wants to build here. I'm liking it.

It's the offense that has me worried, because Fox is so conservative I'm afraid the Broncos will be hopelessly outclassed on offense by the better teams like the Patriots, Colts, Steelers, Jets, and Chargers.

Thnikkaman
01-25-2011, 11:49 AM
Pretty sure Fox is of the bend-but-don't-break philosophy... Which, IMO, is not a ******* philosophy. It's the absence of a defensive philosophy. It's calling a straight up vanilla gameplan and waiting for the offense to make a mistake instead of forcing them into one. Or, in other words, the Denver Broncos from 2000-Present.

Buff, we can be the Fox haters and be douche bags together.

Cugel
01-25-2011, 11:54 AM
4-3 blows.

There's nothing wrong with the 4-3, it's just hard to find great DEs to play in it because they all get drafted in the top 5 picks of the first round! Bill Parcells' Big Planet Theory says that there are only so many players on the planet who are big and strong enough to fight off 320 lbs. OTs and double teams to stuff the run, while also being quick and athletic enough to rush the passer effectively, and when you get the chance to draft one you have to take it.

That's why so many teams have gone to the 3-4. But, then they're finding out that you need an elite NT and THEY are not easy to find either. There's probably not one in this entire draft and sometimes they're busts like the highly-touted Amobe Akoye (Houston) taken #10.

And now the most recent trend is to try and find disruptive pass-rusher DEs/DTs for the 3-4 instead of cloggers. And THOSE guys will be gone in the top 10-15 picks usually.

So, they're right back to needing to have a top 15 draft pick to get a top DE (unless you just get wildly lucky). This year the best DL will go #1 overall. And 3 will be drafted in the top 6. At least 3, maybe 4.

Doesn't matter much anymore whether teams play the 3-4 of 4-3, they desperately need great pass-rushing DL and there aren't enough to go around.

Ravage!!!
01-25-2011, 11:55 AM
PRetty sure the Bears were playing the 43. The 43 does not "blow." Tell that to Tom Brady after going 18-0 and met up with the Giants... tell him the 43 "blows."

TXBRONC
01-25-2011, 12:00 PM

That's what has been reported but Allen comes from a more aggressive philosophy.

topscribe
01-25-2011, 12:04 PM

He looks like a gunfighter . . .

-----

TXBRONC
01-25-2011, 12:14 PM

Here is something for you to chew on.

While Fox's team finished with worse record it wasn't because of his defense.
They had 31 sacks and 29 take aways (17) interceptions and (12) fumble recoveries.

We had 23 sacks and 18 take aways. (10) interceptions and (8) fumble recoveries.

dogfish
01-25-2011, 12:41 PM
a couple of tidbits:

Allen is also reportedly under consideration for the Philadelphia Eagles' defensive coordinator position.

Jay Glazer reports that Allen is the heir apparent to Williams in New Orleans. That could happen soon, given teams' interest in Williams as a head coach this offseason.

Allen comes from a team that mainly uses a 4-3 defensive front, but has done what Fox looks to do with the defense: play with a hybrid defense. The Saints defense has had success over the last three seasons creating turnovers, especially interceptions.

http://denver.sbnation.com/denver-broncos/2011/1/17/1940383/john-fox-announces-denver-broncos-coaching-staff-defensive-coordinator-sean-mcdermott

Agent of Orange
01-25-2011, 12:52 PM
Here is something for you to chew on.

While Fox's team finished with worse record it wasn't because of his defense.
They had 31 sacks and 29 take aways (17) interceptions and (12) fumble recoveries.

We had 23 sacks and 18 take aways. (10) interceptions and (8) fumble recoveries.

Carolina and Denver had opposite problems. Denver did a decent job of holding on to the ball but was lousy at generating turnovers. Carolina was decent at generating turnovers but was lousing about turning over the ball while on offense.

TXBRONC
01-25-2011, 12:56 PM
a couple of tidbits:

http://denver.sbnation.com/denver-broncos/2011/1/17/1940383/john-fox-announces-denver-broncos-coaching-staff-defensive-coordinator-sean-mcdermott

So is he Denver's defensive coordinator or isn't he? :confused:

Ravage!!!
01-25-2011, 12:58 PM

yeah.. now I"m confused. What is dog sayin'?

Agent of Orange
01-25-2011, 01:01 PM

Look at the Jan 21 entry and then look at the Jan 24 entry.

SR
01-25-2011, 01:03 PM
Playing career -

Allen was a highly-recruited defensive back at L. D. Bell High School in Hurst, Texas before choosing to follow in his father's footsteps and play for Texas A&M. Allen was a 4-year letterman for the Aggies as a safety from 1992-1995. He started the final 21 games of his career on the top-rated Texas A&M "Wrecking Crew" defense. His fourth-quarter interception clinched an 18-9 victory over rival Texas in 1993, sending the Aggies to their third-straight Cotton Bowl Classic. He won Southwest Conference Defensive Player of the Week honors after intercepting two passes in a 36-14 win over Oklahoma in 1994. Allen was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Buffalo Bills and competed in their training camp in 1996.

Coaching career -

College - Allen began his coaching career at his alma mater, serving as a graduate assistant coach under his old coach R. C. Slocum for four seasons (1996–1999), working primarily with the secondary. He then went on to Tulsa where he was a secondary coach for two seasons (2000–2001).

National Football League - In 2002, Allen’s first year with the Falcons, when he assisted in coaching the defensive backfield, the club tied for third in the NFL with 24 interceptions and improved from 30th vs. the pass in 2001 to 16th the following year.

Over his last two years in Atlanta, the Falcons’ defensive line was the anchor of the defense. In 2004, Atlanta led the NFL for the first time in club history with 48 sacks and the unit sent DE Patrick Kerney to the Pro Bowl. In 2005 DT Rod Coleman represented the club in the postseason all-star game and the Falcons notched 37 sacks.

In 2006, Allen was in charge of the Saints' defensive line, who combined for over 290 tackles, 28.5 sacks, six forced fumbles and six fumble recoveries. The season was highlighted by the Pro Bowl selection DE Will Smith.

Coaching tree - NFL head coaches under whom Dennis Allen has served:

Wade Phillips: Dallas Cowboys
Sean Payton: New Orleans Saints

L.D. Bell High School is in Bedford, TX. Just sayin'.

dogfish
01-25-2011, 01:04 PM
that clip's from a few days ago, just posted it because i thought people might be reassured to know that he was tabbed to run the saints defense if williams got hired elsewhere. . . don't know about you guys, but the fact that payton would have trusted allen with the new orleans defense improves my confidence. . .

the hire was official last night, i posted the link to the article on the front page of the main site. . .

jhildebrand
01-25-2011, 01:11 PM
Sean Payton really liked him and publicly stated that he was ready. Philly seemed to have some good interest in him.

I think Fox will have a lot of say so on the D. I also think the team wanted to have everybody together as they stated so they can begin their tours of the Senior bowl, shrine game, and everything else.

Let's hope their premium on having a staff in place and everybody together pays off against waiting for a guy like Trgovac.

Agent of Orange
01-25-2011, 01:14 PM
One bad thing about this guy is that if he does a good job, he'll likely get a head coaching job soon after.

dogfish
01-25-2011, 01:25 PM
One bad thing about this guy is that if he does a good job, he'll likely get a head coaching job soon after.

that would apply just as much to anyone else we hired. . . honestly, probably more so in most cases. . . allen is a 38-year-old first time coordinator-- no way he becomes a hot interview quicker than a former HC like mora would have. . . no one's going to hire allen before he at least puts in some years as a coordinator. . .

TXBRONC
01-25-2011, 01:59 PM
that clip's from a few days ago, just posted it because i thought people might be reassured to know that he was tabbed to run the saints defense if williams got hired elsewhere. . . don't know about you guys, but the fact that payton would have trusted allen with the new orleans defense improves my confidence. . .

the hire was official last night, i posted the link to the article on the front page of the main site. . .

Gottcha. :2thumbs:

If Payton was going to move him in the event that Williams moved on that is worth taking note of.

Agent of Orange
01-25-2011, 02:09 PM
that would apply just as much to anyone else we hired. . . honestly, probably more so in most cases. . . allen is a 38-year-old first time coordinator-- no way he becomes a hot interview quicker than a former HC like mora would have. . . no one's going to hire allen before he at least puts in some years as a coordinator. . .

I was thinking someone like Trgovic would have been more likely to stay. Don't get me wrong. What's most important is to get the person who would do the best job. If we have to find a replacement because he does such a good job in the future, it should be a little easier at that time to do so.

silkamilkamonico
01-25-2011, 03:11 PM
but has done what Fox looks to do with the defense: play with a hybrid defense.

Really? A hyrbid defense is like saying, "we really don't know what kind of defense we want to run". Figure it out already Denver.

honz
01-25-2011, 03:17 PM
I've been saying this for 10 years now, but I really think our defense is gonna be much improved next year. This is the year!!! I know it!!!

DenBronx
01-25-2011, 03:31 PM
PRetty sure the Bears were playing the 43. The 43 does not "blow." Tell that to Tom Brady after going 18-0 and met up with the Giants... tell him the 43 "blows."

there's way more success with the 3-4 nowdays. 4 of the top 5 defense are 3-4.

4-3 is wack. good thing we just paid dumervil 65 mill to be a situational pas rusher. welcome back to 7 or 8 sacks a year and not 17.5. denver has tinkered with the 4-3 for years and no success.

ayers? boy he really comes off the edge just like julius peppers.

TXBRONC
01-25-2011, 03:35 PM
Really? A hyrbid defense is like saying, "we really don't know what kind of defense we want to run". Figure it out already Denver.

Maybe it does but personally I don't see it that way.

G_Money
01-25-2011, 04:19 PM
Baltimore runs a "hybrid" and they do just fine.

The reason I wanted Trgovac, besides his already stellar resume as a position coach and his ability to work well with Fox's defensive philosophy was that Trgovac is a front-four guy. The trenches are his responsibility.

Fox was a secondary coach. The back 4 is his bag of tricks.

I didn't want another secondary coach - Fox has that realm covered. Yes I know Allen has done a little D-Line assisting, but that's not the same as having Trgovac's resume.

Trgovac? D-Line die-hard with coordinator experience and results whose DL group is in the Super Bowl.

Allen? D-Line dabbler with no coordinator experience whose secondary just got torched for 40+ in the playoffs by a losing team.

Let me think, which guy would I want to remake our defensive trenches? :huh:

*shrugs* I'm not impressed with Allen. Or really any of our coaches other than our OL coach and QB coach (Gase did finally sign on as QB coach, right?).

Hopefully John Fox knows what he's doing. He hasn't exactly assembled a master-class of assistants at first glance. Big yawn from me on the coaching front. Show me the players that we're gonna build our next playoff team with and maybe I can start to get excited.

~G

Agent of Orange
01-25-2011, 04:42 PM
there's way more success with the 3-4 nowdays. 4 of the top 5 defense are 3-4.

4-3 is wack. good thing we just paid dumervil 65 mill to be a situational pas rusher. welcome back to 7 or 8 sacks a year and not 17.5. denver has tinkered with the 4-3 for years and no success.

ayers? boy he really comes off the edge just like julius peppers.

Did Dumervil get a lot of sacks because he played in the 3-4 or because he played under a competent defensive coordinator?

slim
01-25-2011, 04:42 PM
Awesome!

dogfish
01-25-2011, 04:43 PM
Awesome!

thanks, slim. . .

i try. . .

silkamilkamonico
01-25-2011, 05:04 PM
Did Dumervil get a lot of sacks because he played in the 3-4 or because he played under a competent defensive coordinator?

3-4, AND he wasn't at the point of attack where teams could run right at his side for 6+ yards every time like they did.

TXBRONC
01-25-2011, 05:06 PM
3-4, AND he wasn't at the point of attack where teams could run right at his side for 6+ yards every time like they did.

Better defensive ends would have helped.

Agent of Orange
01-25-2011, 05:17 PM

Well considering he had around 10 sacks twice playing under lesser DCs it doesnt really seem like its the 3-4.

Superchop 7
01-25-2011, 06:04 PM
When you go through D co-ordinators like water.......nobody with talent is jumping up and down for the chance to work with you. (See drafts/Broncos)

To take on this mess......either your nuts or you have a pair of brass ones.

Based on his mug shot......

He just might have a pair.

dogfish
01-25-2011, 06:23 PM
When you go through D co-ordinators like water.......nobody with talent is jumping up and down for the chance to work with you. (See drafts/Broncos)

To take on this mess......either your nuts or you have a pair of brass ones.

Based on his mug shot......

He just might have a pair.

he looks like he just stabbed somebody-- i like the guy already. . .

Northman
01-25-2011, 06:28 PM
Whats sad is i know we just signed this guy but i just dont expect him to be here next year. lmao

As Chop pointed out, it just seems to be a revolving door with us when it comes to DC's.

dogfish
01-25-2011, 06:38 PM
Whats sad is i know we just signed this guy but i just dont expect him to be here next year. lmao

As Chop pointed out, it just seems to be a revolving door with us when it comes to DC's.

you wanna be the one to tell this guy he just got fired?

I Eat Staples
01-25-2011, 07:13 PM

He looks like he would have been useful when McD was here.

Thnikkaman
01-25-2011, 08:32 PM

He looks like my late step father.

dogfish
01-25-2011, 08:51 PM
He looks like my late step father.

did your late step father ever happen to go completely batshit postal?

'cuz this guy kinda looks like he could snap. . .

DenBronx
01-25-2011, 09:03 PM

I think maybe both...

Dume is good enough to produce in any system but where he is elite is the 3-4. Ayers might do better in a 4-3 though....maybe with the right coaches in place everyone will look better.

cant be any worse than wink can it?

Thnikkaman
01-25-2011, 10:30 PM
did your late step father ever happen to go completely batshit postal?

'cuz this guy kinda looks like he could snap. . .

His family was all screwed up. Recovering alcoholic. He was an idiot.

TXBRONC
01-25-2011, 11:15 PM

He's got the look of a stone cold killer.

He's got kind of a Ted Bundy look about him.

jhildebrand
01-25-2011, 11:49 PM
He's got the look of a stone cold killer.

he's got kind of Ted Bundy look about him.

Kind of reminds me of a Lee Harvey Oswald photo

Agent of Orange
01-26-2011, 12:11 AM
I think maybe both...

Dume is good enough to produce in any system but where he is elite is the 3-4. Ayers might do better in a 4-3 though....maybe with the right coaches in place everyone will look better.

cant be any worse than wink can it?

Well, Doom is a better pass rusher than a lot of 4-3 ends who get high sack totals and play on teams with good DCs. Trent Cole comes to mind.

Buff
01-26-2011, 12:17 AM
Well, Doom is a better pass rusher than a lot of 4-3 ends who get high sack totals and play on teams with good DCs. Trent Cole comes to mind.

No one would question Doom's pass rushing ability... I think what Bronx is pointing out is that (arguably) Doom's weaknesses against the run game are more exploitable in a 4-3 where he has his hand in the dirt on every single snap.

bcbronc
01-26-2011, 12:48 AM
No one would question Doom's pass rushing ability... I think what Bronx is pointing out is that (arguably) Doom's weaknesses against the run game are more exploitable in a 4-3 where he has his hand in the dirt on every single snap.

I dunno, people make too much out of Doom's limitations versus the run, imo. If he can make plays in passing situations, he's worth the dough. Sure, it would be better to have a guy that is equally stout against the run and pass, but those guys are hard to find.

almost as hard to find as a guy that can just flat out get to the QB. Doom's versatility is ideal if Fox does want to run a bit of a hybrid type defense. Doom can put his hand in the dirt on 2nd and 12, or stand up on 3rd and 5. Just because we go to a 43 base doesn't mean we lose all Doom's versatility (same with Ayers, to a lesser extent).

I mean with all the zone blitzing, moving parts, one down lineman, etc that we see in today's top defenses, having guys that can stand up or put their hand down is a big bonus. Moving Doom around will only make it tougher on opposition OC's to game plan for him. I'd like to see him take snaps at DE, DT, WOLB and SOLB in every game.

The thing with Doom, whether 34 or 43 he has some limitations. But what he does well, getting to the QB, he does as well as anyone in the game. And nothing is more valuable than that in today's NFL. As long as Allen and Fox are willing to think a bit outside the box with how to use Doom, base formation shouldn't matter at all. imo.

TXBRONC
01-26-2011, 12:06 PM
Kind of reminds me of a Lee Harvey Oswald photo

I think the defensive personnel better hope they don't screw up this guy looks like he could go postal on them at the drop of a hat.

Agent of Orange
01-26-2011, 12:34 PM

I think he was saying that he's more effective as a pass rusher in the 3-4 (citing the 17 sacks) and also less of a liability because he's not on the line.