PDA

View Full Version : BF Updates: Forum upgrade, Mobile Access Apps and User Feedback

Tned
01-24-2011, 06:42 PM
Ok, in the coming days, I am going to put up a series of Town Hall threads about different aspects of the forum. I’ve done it in the past, and it’s intended to get the community to give feedback on the state of BroncosForums (it’s a concidence that this is the day before the State of the Union - :lol:). Meaning, what are we doing well, what should we do differently, what could we do better. There will be a series of polls asking you how we are doing, and then optionally you can discuss that topic further in each thread. These threads will be posted in the Town Hall forum and I encourage everyone to participate, even if you haven’t participated in our Town Hall discussions in the past.

Forum upgrade coming:

In addition to those threads, I wanted to give you a heads up on an upcoming forum upgrade. I decided to hold off on the upgrade last year, because we are all comfortable with the forum as is. However, it’s time to upgrade to the latest version of vBulletin. While overall the functionality will be the same, there are some pretty significant changes in the look and feel, how the navigation menu is arranged, etc. However, there are enough new features, as well as security enhancements, that it’s time to upgrade.

Among the new features: the next version of vBulletin 4.x will have a built in mobile style for use on mobile phones. In addition, sometime in the first quarter vBulletin will be releasing a paid add-on to the server to work with Iphone and Android apps. The way this will work is that I will buy the back end add-on (and pay an annual support fee) and then a free app will be available in the Iphone app store and Android marketplace so that those with Iphones or Droids should have a very good user experience. There is even basic moderation capabilities in these apps for the mods.

I don’t have a time frame for the upgrade yet, as I haven’t even started the testing. My hope is to get vB 4 loaded on my test/backup server this week or weekend and then work on getting the look and feel as close as possible to what we now have, as well as working on the things like the Hi-Fives and other customizations.

Once I reach that point, I might ask a few people to go to the test server and kick the tires a little bit to see if they see any problems. Once that’s done, then I will schedule a time to do the upgrade.

Buff
01-24-2011, 06:49 PM
If there's anything I can do to help, don't hesitate to ask shawshank24.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-24-2011, 06:57 PM
Don't you DARE change the blue background :mad: :D

dogfish
01-24-2011, 07:11 PM
but T, i hate and fear change!!

Tned
01-24-2011, 07:16 PM
but T, i hate and fear change!!

Too bad!

Here's a video of the Iphone app that is nearing final release:

-ngT6F-zqgI