PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Overrated?

Chidoze
09-24-2007, 12:23 AM
So, I was listening to ESPN Radio a few minutes ago and they were interviewing John Clayton about the games.

They got to the Den Vs. Jax game and asked John about the Jags performance against the Broncos.

Clayton stated, "I had suspicions about the broncos being over rated and we'll see what they can do in these next few weeks, but they dont really have too many offensive scoring weapons, they have Jay Cutler and he's good, but not really any other threats on offense. Their Defense is still trying to find themselves and after today, this could be a sign of a long season for Denver's defense."

Now, I love John Clayton and think he's a great analyst. Maybe I have orange colored glasses on, but "not many scoring threats on offense"? C'mon John. Walker, Henry, Graham, Stokely? All are legit threats offensively in my book.

I think he's pretty right on about the D, but I think they'll adjust and correct a few things and be OK. I wont mistake Denver's D for the Bears, but we'll be OK.

I think the Jaguars are better than everyone thinks as well. We had higher expectations when really, we should have been wary of the Jags.

Thoughts?

BigBroncLove
09-24-2007, 12:29 AM
So, I was listening to ESPN Radio a few minutes ago and they were interviewing John Clayton about the games.

They got to the Den Vs. Jax game and asked John about the Jags performance against the Broncos.

Clayton stated, "I had suspicions about the broncos being over rated and we'll see what they can do in these next few weeks, but they dont really have too many offensive scoring weapons, they have Jay Cutler and he's good, but not really any other threats on offense. Their Defense is still trying to find themselves and after today, this could be a sign of a long season for Denver's defense."

Now, I love John Clayton and think he's a great analyst. Maybe I have orange colored glasses on, but "not many scoring threats on offense"? C'mon John. Walker, Henry, Graham, Stokely? All are legit threats offensively in my book.

I think he's pretty right on about the D, but I think they'll adjust and correct a few things and be OK. I wont mistake Denver's D for the Bears, but we'll be OK.

I think the Jaguars are better than everyone thinks as well. We had higher expectations when really, we should have been wary of the Jags.

Thoughts?

I agree on your thoughts on his analysis. The offense has plenty of weapons. I'd even throw Sapp, and certienly wouldn;t forget to put MArshall in that lineup of offensive talent waiting to be unleashed.

I agree though, the D is suspect at times, but seems to be largely over the run, and how the Broncos have been adjusting to that weakness (lots of zero cover, to many people getting stuffed in the box, no real flexability on D because of it). Hopefully things will get ironed out.

I also think the Jags were under rated, but I also think they were a team we could beat. I'll be interested to see how they play in the coming weeks as well....

Watchthemiddle
09-24-2007, 12:37 AM
The entire team has been overrated. We led the league in offense but it was against the Bills and Raiders and won both games on the last second and a gifted time out.

How can we actually be "rated" at this point?

Someone look up our scoring offense.....what do we average a game with all the weapons we have...Culter, Walker, Marshall, Stokely, Sheffler, Henry, Sapp, and Graham?

I know we might lack the overall talent on Defense.....besides our pass D....but our offense with all the talent it has is lacking. There seems to be a different go-to-guy every week for Cutler and the lack of overall unity on offense on a consistent basis is still lacking.

ChampWJ
09-24-2007, 12:41 AM
Usually ESPN has nothing good to say unless they're talking about New England or Indy lately.

Chidoze
09-24-2007, 12:45 AM
I agree on your thoughts on his analysis. The offense has plenty of weapons. I'd even throw Sapp, and certienly wouldn;t forget to put MArshall in that lineup of offensive talent waiting to be unleashed.

I agree though, the D is suspect at times, but seems to be largely over the run, and how the Broncos have been adjusting to that weakness (lots of zero cover, to many people getting stuffed in the box, no real flexability on D because of it). Hopefully things will get ironed out.

I also think the Jags were under rated, but I also think they were a team we could beat. I'll be interested to see how they play in the coming weeks as well....
I didnt forget Marshall, but I just see him as a young talent with a lot of potential right now, kind of an on the fence player for me. He's becoming a good receiver, hopefully he can become what the players and coaches think he can be.

He did have a good game today though, credit him for that because he's virtually the only one outside of Cutler who performed OK today.

I dont know, maybe Claytons right and the Broncos are overrated. It seems like they're struggling though, offense isnt putting points on the board and defense knows how to cover receivers but all of the sudden forgot about the running game.

I'm not down about it though, looking forward to hopefully an exciting stretch of football games for the Broncos! :salute:

topscribe
09-24-2007, 12:50 AM
I have long liked Clayton's analyses, but that is one of the stupidest remarks
that I have ever seen or heard. Literally. In all my 62 years, I have heard very
few statements that were more asinine. The Broncos have playmakers at
every skill position on the offense.

It reminds me of years ago, when I once heard a media moron say Elvis
couldn't sing.

I think Clayton must have broken his glasses, and a shard entered his brain. :der:

-----

Chidoze
09-24-2007, 12:57 AM
I have long liked Clayton's analyses, but that is one of the stupidest remarks
that I have ever seen or heard. Literally. In all my 62 years, I have heard very
few statements that were more asinine. The Broncos have playmakers at
every skill position on the offense.

It reminds me of years ago, when I once heard a media moron say Elvis
couldn't sing.

I think Clayton must have broken his glasses, and a shard entered his brain. :der:

-----
Same here, I couldnt believe it when I heard it. Thought about it for a minute and we do have a lot of playmakers. We're just not getting it done right now. For whatever reason, the offense hasnt been able to showoff it's playmakers much this year.

I think the executives at ESPN are getting to John and brainwashing him into believing the Patriots and Cowboys are the best teams in the NFL.

Lorcust
09-24-2007, 01:10 AM
Same here, I couldnt believe it when I heard it. Thought about it for a minute and we do have a lot of playmakers. We're just not getting it done right now. For whatever reason, the offense hasnt been able to showoff it's playmakers much this year.

I think the executives at ESPN are getting to John and brainwashing him into believing the Patriots and Cowboys are the best teams in the NFL.

Right now, they are the two best teams in the NFL.

BigBroncLove
09-24-2007, 01:16 AM

I don't know, those Cowboys look awefully tough to, on both sides of the ball. All three are very close with each other talent and level of play wise, and all three look excessively dangerous. That NE team is down right dowminant though, and I think they are the #1 in the league without doubt, with Indy and Dallas tied for second place.

broncosfanscott
09-24-2007, 01:43 AM

Thoughts?

My thoughts are right along with yours. Just because the weapons on our offense haven't really clicked together yet doesn't mean we have no threats. Do this guy realize that Cutler has only started 8 games? I mean is he supposed to be a HOFer that soon. :confused:

He is right on :defense: and over the next several weeks we will get a better idea of what we are made of. Hopefully we will step up and rise to the challenge.

BroncoWave
09-24-2007, 06:44 AM
Well, I know that I had us overrated going into the week. As it stands right now, we are a mediocre team in a loaded conference that will struggle to make the playoffs. Not saying we can't turn it around but at this point in time, we are mediocre. But what Clayton said was pretty ignorant. We have plenty of offensive weapons. We just can't use them because our defense blows.

Tned
09-24-2007, 07:04 AM
Overrated? Very possibly. No weapons on offense? Way off the mark.

While the offensive line is suspect, the offensive 'skill' positions are about as good as they have ever been. The trio of Walker, Marshall and Stokely look to be the best group of three receivers since the three amigos, and possibly long than that.

When was the last time anyone can remember the Broncos having a legitimate 3rd wide receiver? A big-time blocking TE, and once Scheffler is healthy, it appears there will be a very good pass catching TE to compliment Graham.

A solid RB and a FB that can run the ball.

And, of course, Cutler.

Outside of the O-line, when was the last time the Broncos had better talent on offense? It's bee a VERY long time.

SBboundBRONCOS
09-24-2007, 07:17 AM
not to bring people down but Clayton is right, we have tons of weapons but "scoring weapons" as of right now we are lacking, i dont care how much move the ball talent we have right now they are just not getting points up, and with the d allowing us only 20 min on offense its hard to get in a rythem and put constant points on the board

Tned
09-24-2007, 07:25 AM
not to bring people down but Clayton is right, we have tons of weapons but "scoring weapons" as of right now we are lacking, i dont care how much move the ball talent we have right now they are just not getting points up, and with the d allowing us only 20 min on offense its hard to get in a rythem and put constant points on the board

"right now" might be enough of a qualifier to make it accurate, as Cutler and some of the other pieces haven't gelled yet.

Anyone that thought Cutler would step in and play like a veteran was simply kidding themselves, about the kid. The end of last year should have been a preview to that. I am very excited about Cutler's future, but I am also realistic and know that it will take time for him to become reliable. To put the long throw down the sideline to Marshall on the sideline side, rather than throw it on the inside where the CB's hands were, etc.

Marshall is looking great, but he is still young. Scheffler hasn't been able to get on the field to help like he did at the end of last year, but that might happen less than expected, because Stokely has a lot more left in the tank than most of us thought.

The team has plenty of weapons, scoring or yard producing, it is just that with a 2nd year QB with only 8 starts under his belt, and some young or changed offensive pieces, the team can't be expected to be firing on all cylinders from day one.

omac
09-24-2007, 07:47 AM
"right now" might be enough of a qualifier to make it accurate, as Cutler and some of the other pieces haven't gelled yet.

Anyone that thought Cutler would step in and play like a veteran was simply kidding themselves, about the kid. The end of last year should have been a preview to that. I am very excited about Cutler's future, but I am also realistic and know that it will take time for him to become reliable. To put the long throw down the sideline to Marshall on the sideline side, rather than throw it on the inside where the CB's hands were, etc.

Marshall is looking great, but he is still young. Scheffler hasn't been able to get on the field to help like he did at the end of last year, but that might happen less than expected, because Stokely has a lot more left in the tank than most of us thought.

The team has plenty of weapons, scoring or yard producing, it is just that with a 2nd year QB with only 8 starts under his belt, and some young or changed offensive pieces, the team can't be expected to be firing on all cylinders from day one.

I agree with tnedator, this team needs some time to gel with all the new faces on offense. We've already seen glimpses of what they're capable of doing, and it's by far better than most Denver teams in a long time, including the one that went to the AFC championship. That team was rightfully pounded to a pulp by Pittsburgh.

As of now, though, I only see glaring problems in our rush defense, although our rushing offense did seriously underperform. Oh, and ofcourse, the ever consistently poor special teams play. :D

Medford Bronco
09-24-2007, 08:08 AM

Pittsburgh could give Dallas a run for 2nd but its semantics
I agree

on NE, Indy, Pitt and Dallas
and then the rest of the league

who cares what Clayton says, but this team could very easily be 0-3 with
the inconsistency so far. Be happy for 2-1 and HOPE we improve

this weeks game scares me a lot :ahhhhh:

Mike
09-24-2007, 08:09 AM
LOL. Wait and see what they say about Denver after next weeks game. Denver is going to get destroyed by the Colts.

In-com-plete
09-24-2007, 08:17 AM
I don't think they're overrated. They just can't stop the run. It's the worst GD run defense I've seen in Denver in....forever.

But they're still a 9-7 or 10-6 team IMO. Same as before the season started.

omac
09-24-2007, 08:18 AM
LOL. Wait and see what they say about Denver after next weeks game. Denver is going to get destroyed by the Colts.

I'm not too sure about that. Although I did choose the Colts to beat Denver, I don't think the Colts will be as effective stopping our rushing offense as the Jaguars were.

In a nutshell, we'll be trying to do to the Colts through our rushing game what the Jaguars did to us. Also, the Colts haven't historically been a great running team, so that should actually be easier on our defense. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Broncos beat the Colts, but the odds are against it.

Mike
09-24-2007, 08:27 AM
I'm not too sure about that. Although I did choose the Colts to beat Denver, I don't think the Colts will be as effective stopping our rushing offense as the Jaguars were.

In a nutshell, we'll be trying to do to the Colts through our rushing game what the Jaguars did to us. Also, the Colts haven't historically been a great running team, so that should actually be easier on our defense. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Broncos beat the Colts, but the odds are against it.

The Colts have a solid run defense. Their run defense is ranked higher than JAX. Way better and they did it against better running teams. I believe that Denver will probably run the ball more effectively than they did against JAX, but the Colts are better than you think against the run.

Historically it doesn't matter what the Colts have done. Denver's run defense is swiss cheese this year. Addai is going to have a field day. And if he doesn't...Manning will as usual.

I love my Broncos...and I will watch the game...but if I was a betting man...I'd take the Colts and the spread (and the spread should be big).

Medford Bronco
09-24-2007, 09:11 AM
The Colts have a solid run defense. Their run defense is ranked higher than JAX. Way better and they did it against better running teams. I believe that Denver will probably run the ball more effectively than they did against JAX, but the Colts are better than you think against the run.

Historically it doesn't matter what the Colts have done. Denver's run defense is swiss cheese this year. Addai is going to have a field day. And if he doesn't...Manning will as usual.

I love my Broncos...and I will watch the game...but if I was a betting man...I'd take the Colts and the spread (and the spread should be big).

I agree 100% I think Addai will smoke us

btw opening line is Indy minus 9.5.

over the last 5 years, i have picked against Denver very little and will do
so this week and then root against myself LOL

remeber in pools you are trying to win $$......... at least I am
and so far I am 33-13 ATS going into toinghts game with 3 of those losses against the spread being our Broncos