PDA

View Full Version : BRONCOS 2006 Draft Day Do Over........

WARHORSE
09-20-2008, 02:58 AM
Imagine a draft-day do-over.
A 2006 draft-day do-over, if you want to get specific.
The Texans had the first pick that year and were roundly criticized for selecting North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams instead of hometown hero Vince Young.
If not Young, the Texans could have chosen Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush, who went second to the Saints, just ahead of Young, who went No. 3 to Tennessee.
So how would the order go if there were a do-over? Which of the three would be No. 1? That would be none of the above.
Jay Cutler would be the first pick. The same Jay Cutler who went No. 11 to the Broncos, just after the Cardinals used the 10th pick on another Heisman winner, Matt Leinart.
Is there any question at this point that Cutler was the best player in that draft? There were some others, most notably Antonio Cromartie, who went No. 19 and led the league in interceptions in his second season. But Cutler gets the call here.
D'Brickashaw Ferguson, the No. 4 pick, and A.J. Hawk, No. 5, have been solid players, but neither has made the impact Cutler has. Donte Whitner, a player the Bills were criticized for taking at No. 8, appears to have several Pro Bowls in his future, just as Cutler does. But Whitner is a safety, not a quarterback.
You wonder how the scouts could have been so wrong. You wonder how so many of them could have had Cutler ranked below Young and Leinart.
The Broncos didn't. They had him atop their draft board, but didn't think they could trade up to get him. But when the Raiders passed on him at No. 7, Mike Shanahan and his staff began working the phones. And when the Cardinals pulled the trigger on Leinart at No. 10, the Broncos swung a deal with St. Louis to grab the 11th pick. The Rams got the 15th pick, Clemson cornerback Tye Hill, and the Broncos' third-rounder, which turned into LSU defensive tackle Claude Wroten. That's the twist of fate that, more than any other, will shape the Broncos' future.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

For the record draft putniks.........do you understand today, what a draft day STEAL Cutler was/is??? Shanahan single handedly had a man at the top of his draft board that will be kicking butt for the next decade plus, moving our franchise into PRIME situations that will move this organization into the stratosphere of upper, upper echelon sporting franchises, with some solid planning.

Cutler, in hindsight mind you, was not only the number one, first pick, franchise QB of the draft......................but we got him at an 11 million signing bonus. Talk about kickin teeth in and taking names........Shanny..YOU DRAFT HONCHO YOU!!!!

What does he do for an encore?

HE DRAFTS THE GUY WHO SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE SECOND PICK (all in hindsight mind you) OF THE DRAFT............BRANDON 'GIMME 18 TOUCHES PER GAME' MARSHALL!!!

THAT PRETTY MUCH MAKES MIKE SHANAHAN ALL WORLD WHEN IT COMES TO DRAFTING KICK BUTT PLAYERS FOR EVER AND EVER AND EVER.:salute::salute:

Speaking for those who disagree, we have the opposite side of the argument:
What a dummy he was on daft day that day, huh?:coffee:

WARHORSE
09-20-2008, 03:03 AM
;)

Dont mind me. Im just happy as a turd in the public pool that we have a team that has some VERY solid pieces in place.

Franchise QB

Franchise WR

Franchise LT

Franchise CB

Franchise Headcoach

I love the BRONCOS.

And I loves me some me today.;)

topscribe
09-20-2008, 03:08 AM
Here is a pretty good article on the 2006 draft:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/59293-2006-draft-revisited-denver-broncos-shine-above-the-rest

-----

omac
09-20-2008, 03:19 AM
Very nice write-up, WARHORSE! :salute:

Anyone wanna do a "hindsight" draft of 2006, who each team would get if they knew how'd they turn out? Obviously, Vince Young and Matt Leinart won't be taken in the top 10, maybe not even the top 32.

G_Money
09-20-2008, 03:44 AM
Yes, the Broncos 2006 draft appears to be one of the greatest single drafts in recent memory and it only keeps getting better as the years go on, even though the Walker trade didn't pay full dividends.

Has anyone ever argued that it wasn't?

Much like I don't think anyone has argued that the Colts won when they traded Elway for Mark Hermann, Chris Hinton and Ron Solt.

However, the lack of talent on those teams prevented Elway from winning a SB under Reeves. Reeves could not add the right talent to compete with the NFC teams, and only Elway allowed him to squeak by in the junior AFC.

One draft does not a team make - though by adding Cutler it's a draft that should give us a decade of opportunity.

Now we need follow-up additions to make the best use of the 2006 draft. Maybe the 08 draft is the good follow-up we need - early returns on the first day picks are definitely VERY promising. The 07 draft might have gotten us a RT if his back can hold up but the jury's still out on the entire DL. 07 and 08 free agent acquisitions look like bombs in the early returns.

Complaints about Mike's drafting were because 06 was IN-CRED-I-BLE, but nothing before that was like it and 07 wasn't either. It sure does stand out on Shanny's resume, but partly because he's been abysmal at finding long-term team solutions through the draft. Now that we've had 2 games with the guys from the 08 draft and Royal and Clady seem to be working out in spades maybe we can all breathe a little easier about Shanny FINALLY gaining some traction in the stupid 2 day event that we made a habit of sleeping through in the past.

You can keep crowing about the 06 draft, and I THANK GOD FOR IT, because it's the only reason I'm not throwing soup at my TV screen whenever Plummer/Griese/Frerotte/Ramsey/whoever is butchering the QB position for us.

It was a vital shot in the arm for a wobbly franchise with too much history and blood to go down the Raider/Chief path.

Now don't screw it up. Keeping Jay's uniform clean through the first two games is a good start. Adding Royal and Clady in 08 looks like exactly the right move.

But the 07 draft is still here to be a nagging thorn, as is the brutal disaster of the 07 coaching in all aspects, and our free agent moves and trades in recent years that just have us treading water.

It looks like we're building, and drafting well, at least in 2 of the last 3 years in early returns. This is exactly what good teams do when setting up for the long haul.

And then they coach up the good players they add and make em great players and a great team.

We're doing that on offense. The OL coach thus far this year is doing a bangup job of getting a concussion recoverer, a FA backup center, a 3rd year guard and essentially 2 rookie tackles to play together almost seamlessly in the passing game. The play-calling has been outstanding, taking advantage of what we CAN do right now and not highlighting what we're still struggling a little to master. The play-MAKING has been great.

But there are still 2 other phases - defense and special teams. And if you believe that the last 3 drafts have been terrific and no one should criticize Shanahan, that he's FINALLY learned his lessons on draft day and we can relax about the talent part of the equation, then his other coaches need to do for their sides of the ball what Shanny and Bates and Dennison are doing for the offense.

Defense has 2 decent-but-not-special safeties, a good corner and a great one, a pro-bowl caliber linebacker to go with a decent-but-injury-prone one and a good backup who happens to be starting, and a very good DT to go with a lot of youth and rotation.

And the coordinator hasn't gotten much of anything out of em in the first two games. For all the glory of the offense, defense has been bad. Just because Oakland was too dumb to take advantage of its badness doesn't mean the holes weren't there for all to see.

SD did see and did take advantage.

And our ST squad still can't get it right.

If it's not a talent issue on defense and ST, then it's either an adjustment period or a coordination issue.

Which means more scapegoating, for reasons right or wrong, with those units. Again.

But on the plus side, that means that as long as Shanahan keeps nailing the draft, hopefully he can do it for defensive players as well as offensive and then the only tweak we'll need to start dominating in every facet is a ride on the DC and ST coaching carousel.

What's Greg Robinson doing next year?

~G

G_Money
09-20-2008, 03:52 AM
PS - hopefully we can keep Marshall's head on straight so he doesn't go to another team as a "head-case" and light it up there for them.

The Chargers had one of the Greatest Drafts a few years ago with LT and Drew Brees. They didn't believe in Brees and replaced him, which probably cost them a SB berth in the last couple of years. Brees instead of Rivers and I think they get there.

Even when you get the draft right you need to hang on to those "right" players. As long as Marshall is done being a moron, hopefully we can.

Marshall's getting Champ's money when he re-signs, though, don't believe otherwise.

~G

WARHORSE
09-20-2008, 04:16 AM
Here is a pretty good article on the 2006 draft:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/59293-2006-draft-revisited-denver-broncos-shine-above-the-rest

-----

I hate it when the truth comes out...............lol...............:coffee:

WARHORSE
09-20-2008, 04:48 AM
Yes, the Broncos 2006 draft appears to be one of the greatest single drafts in recent memory and it only keeps getting better as the years go on, even though the Walker trade didn't pay full dividends.

Has anyone ever argued that it wasn't?

I like the part about 'one of the greatest single drafts in recent memory'. And YES people have argued about it.

Much like I don't think anyone has argued that the Colts won when they traded Elway for Mark Hermann, Chris Hinton and Ron Solt.

Has nothing to do with Shanahan BLISTERING the 2006 draft.

However, the lack of talent on those teams prevented Elway from winning a SB under Reeves. Reeves could not add the right talent to compete with the NFC teams, and only Elway allowed him to squeak by in the junior AFC.

What does that have to do with the GOOD news I stated?

One draft does not a team make - though by adding Cutler it's a draft that should give us a decade of opportunity.

One draft on top of everything else Shanny did/does.......does.

Now we need follow-up additions to make the best use of the 2006 draft. Maybe the 08 draft is the good follow-up we need - early returns on the first day picks are definitely VERY promising. The 07 draft might have gotten us a RT if his back can hold up but the jury's still out on the entire DL. 07 and 08 free agent acquisitions look like bombs in the early returns.

I love the way you say 'free agent acquisitions look like BOMBS'. Role players.......plain and simple. Fact is, Colbert never got a chance to do jack cause ROYal came to town. Thats the breaks.........good ones that is. And it turns out we will recoup good draft selections in return. Hardly a bomb. As for Koutouvides...........not a bomb at all. Brought in to compete.......compete he did.........depth and special teams ace.

Complaints about Mike's drafting were because 06 was IN-CRED-I-BLE, but nothing before that was like it and 07 wasn't either. It sure does stand out on Shanny's resume, but partly because he's been abysmal at finding long-term team solutions through the draft. Now that we've had 2 games with the guys from the 08 draft and Royal and Clady seem to be working out in spades maybe we can all breathe a little easier about Shanny FINALLY gaining some traction in the stupid 2 day event that we made a habit of sleeping through in the past.

This is the thread about Shanny being ALL WORLD.......please stick to the subject.;)

You can keep crowing about the 06 draft, and I THANK GOD FOR IT, because it's the only reason I'm not throwing soup at my TV screen whenever Plummer/Griese/Frerotte/Ramsey/whoever is butchering the QB position for us.

CROW is EXACTLY what I'll be doing......for years to come. As for lamenting the past QB play................hell, Im in 2008 right now and partying it up cause my BRONCOS have a killer offense with a GUNSLINGER for a QB who I hope marries one of my daughters one day cause I'll give em up for two horses, three furs, eight cans of Chunky Noodle Soup and season tickets for life. Why in the WORLD would I be thinking about Plummer/Griese/Frerotte...and Ramsey? Im riding the SHANAHAN driven WAVE called the Denver Broncos. Woot!:salute:

It was a vital shot in the arm for a wobbly franchise with too much history and blood to go down the Raider/Chief path.

Now don't screw it up. Keeping Jay's uniform clean through the first two games is a good start. Adding Royal and Clady in 08 looks like exactly the right move.

Nice move Shanny. Nice move.

But the 07 draft is still here to be a nagging thorn, as is the brutal disaster of the 07 coaching in all aspects, and our free agent moves and trades in recent years that just have us treading water.

Nagging Thorn? Treading water? Man, you need some R and R. Take the wife, buy some stringy nightime stuff and go spend the weekend at a Sheraton on the beach. Put de lime in de coconut and call me in the morning. (Nagging thorn.......? Wow. And here I am being all happy with our Broncos and everything. I didnt realize we were under siege):shocked:

It looks like we're building, and drafting well, at least in 2 of the last 3 years in early returns. This is exactly what good teams do when setting up for the long haul.

And then they coach up the good players they add and make em great players and a great team.

We're doing that on offense. The OL coach thus far this year is doing a bangup job of getting a concussion recoverer, a FA backup center, a 3rd year guard and essentially 2 rookie tackles to play together almost seamlessly in the passing game. The play-calling has been outstanding, taking advantage of what we CAN do right now and not highlighting what we're still struggling a little to master. The play-MAKING has been great.

But there are still 2 other phases - defense and special teams. And if you believe that the last 3 drafts have been terrific and no one should criticize Shanahan, that he's FINALLY learned his lessons on draft day and we can relax about the talent part of the equation, then his other coaches need to do for their sides of the ball what Shanny and Bates and Dennison are doing for the offense.

I'll criticize him when its warranted. But it wont be over stuff he has absolutely no control over. Tell you what, lets play mock GM/Headcoach. You get to be the headcoach of the Broncos starting whenever you want in Shannys tenure here at Denver. Go back and tell us the moves you would have made that would have put this franchise in the big game for all these miserable post SUPERBOWL years that we've had to supposedly endure. Lets see what you can come up with........knock yerself out. Impress us. :D;) For instance.........instead of picking up the 'dreadful' Plummer.........what would you have done during that offseason instead?

Defense has 2 decent-but-not-special safeties, a good corner and a great one, a pro-bowl caliber linebacker to go with a decent-but-injury-prone one and a good backup who happens to be starting, and a very good DT to go with a lot of youth and rotation.

And the coordinator hasn't gotten much of anything out of em in the first two games. For all the glory of the offense, defense has been bad. Just because Oakland was too dumb to take advantage of its badness doesn't mean the holes weren't there for all to see.

:drinking:

SD did see and did take advantage.

And our ST squad still can't get it right.

:drinking:

If it's not a talent issue on defense and ST, then it's either an adjustment period or a coordination issue.

Which means more scapegoating, for reasons right or wrong, with those units. Again.
:screwy:

But on the plus side, that means that as long as Shanahan keeps nailing the draft, hopefully he can do it for defensive players as well as offensive and then the only tweak we'll need to start dominating in every facet is a ride on the DC and ST coaching carousel.

What's Greg Robinson doing next year?

~G

Man dude.

You spend too much time searching the negatives. Live in the light.
You'll be happier.

WARHORSE
09-20-2008, 04:51 AM
Sorry if that seemed harsh..........:geezer:
lol................

Scarface
09-20-2008, 08:19 AM
Imagine a draft-day do-over.
A 2006 draft-day do-over, if you want to get specific.
The Texans had the first pick that year and were roundly criticized for selecting North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams instead of hometown hero Vince Young.
If not Young, the Texans could have chosen Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush, who went second to the Saints, just ahead of Young, who went No. 3 to Tennessee.
So how would the order go if there were a do-over? Which of the three would be No. 1? That would be none of the above.
Jay Cutler would be the first pick. The same Jay Cutler who went No. 11 to the Broncos, just after the Cardinals used the 10th pick on another Heisman winner, Matt Leinart.
Is there any question at this point that Cutler was the best player in that draft? There were some others, most notably Antonio Cromartie, who went No. 19 and led the league in interceptions in his second season. But Cutler gets the call here.
D'Brickashaw Ferguson, the No. 4 pick, and A.J. Hawk, No. 5, have been solid players, but neither has made the impact Cutler has. Donte Whitner, a player the Bills were criticized for taking at No. 8, appears to have several Pro Bowls in his future, just as Cutler does. But Whitner is a safety, not a quarterback.
You wonder how the scouts could have been so wrong. You wonder how so many of them could have had Cutler ranked below Young and Leinart.
The Broncos didn't. They had him atop their draft board, but didn't think they could trade up to get him. But when the Raiders passed on him at No. 7, Mike Shanahan and his staff began working the phones. And when the Cardinals pulled the trigger on Leinart at No. 10, the Broncos swung a deal with St. Louis to grab the 11th pick. The Rams got the 15th pick, Clemson cornerback Tye Hill, and the Broncos' third-rounder, which turned into LSU defensive tackle Claude Wroten. That's the twist of fate that, more than any other, will shape the Broncos' future.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

For the record draft putniks.........do you understand today, what a draft day STEAL Cutler was/is??? Shanahan single handedly had a man at the top of his draft board that will be kicking butt for the next decade plus, moving our franchise into PRIME situations that will move this organization into the stratosphere of upper, upper echelon sporting franchises, with some solid planning.

Cutler, in hindsight mind you, was not only the number one, first pick, franchise QB of the draft......................but we got him at an 11 million signing bonus. Talk about kickin teeth in and taking names........Shanny..YOU DRAFT HONCHO YOU!!!!

HE DRAFTS THE GUY WHO SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE SECOND PICK (all in hindsight mind you) OF THE DRAFT............BRANDON 'GIMME 18 TOUCHES PER GAME' MARSHALL!!!

THAT PRETTY MUCH MAKES MIKE SHANAHAN ALL WORLD WHEN IT COMES TO DRAFTING KICK BUTT PLAYERS FOR EVER AND EVER AND EVER.:salute::salute:

I never understood why Cutler wasn't a Top 3 pick and why he went behind Young and Leinart. I screamed it until I was blue in the face. The scouts blew it. The 10 teams ahead of us blew it for not taking him and other teams blew if for not trying to trade up for him. But whatever, I'm as glad today as I was on draft day that we got him.

omac
09-20-2008, 08:56 AM
I never understood why Cutler wasn't a Top 3 pick and why he went behind Young and Leinart. I screamed it until I was blue in the face. The scouts blew it. The 10 teams ahead of us blew it for not taking him and other teams blew if for not trying to trade up for him. But whatever, I'm as glad today as I was on draft day that we got him.

I remember the lame arguments on the boards, like if he was so good, why did his college team keep losing. :confused: Some people really believed that line of thinking. :shocked: Now, the 2 QBs who were in the national championship game are riding the pine and might have bust written all over them, while the sportscasters are finally jumping on the Cutler bandwagon. :coffee:

BroncoJoe
09-20-2008, 08:58 AM
Scar was his biggest advocates at the old Freak. I remember on draft day when we moved up to take Cutler, I called 9798 and predicted Scar just creamed his jeans. Twice.

Scar, I never found out if that was true or not...

omac
09-20-2008, 09:06 AM
Looking at the 2006 draft, Cutler is proving to be the best quarterback there, maybe even the best player, or if not, the best offensive player. He's definitely outperforming Bush and Young.

The 49ers got Vernon Davis really early, and since Scheffler is easily better than Davis, we can safely say the 49ers should've gotten Scheffler with their tight-end choice.

The Steelers got Santonio Holmes, and although he's good, he's not Brandon Marshall good.

So those are 3 Bronco players who should've been 1st rounders based on their performances throughout their careers so far.

Not sure if Elvis is a first rounder, compared to the DEs taken then, because Elvis was weak against the run, but maybe he could've been at least a 2nd rounder, based on his performances.

Not bad at all.

Scarface
09-20-2008, 09:06 AM
Scar was his biggest advocates at the old Freak. I remember on draft day when we moved up to take Cutler, I called 9798 and predicted Scar just creamed his jeans. Twice.

Scar, I never found out if that was true or not...

You're underestimating me Joe. Words cannot describe how I felt at that moment. Only pictures. This is pretty much how happy I was.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff302/ScarfaceBroncos2007/KnightRiderandArnoldJackson-785551.jpg

BroncoJoe
09-20-2008, 09:09 AM
Man, I loved that show.

Scarface
09-20-2008, 09:13 AM
Man, I loved that show.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff302/ScarfaceBroncos2007/knight-rider5.jpg

WARHORSE
09-20-2008, 02:01 PM
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff302/ScarfaceBroncos2007/knight-rider5.jpg

Man, Hasselldorf still looks just as corny now as he did back then.

To confirm the already stated, yes, SCAR was the huge Cutler advocate on the Freakboards........................youre like Shanny, huh?:D

G_Money
09-20-2008, 02:15 PM
Sorry if that seemed harsh..........:geezer:
lol................

Don't worry about it. I thought you were calling out anybody who disagreed with the never ending fount that is Shanny's genius for an actual discussion.

You just wanted to wave your wang around and piss yourself delirious happiness.

Continue. :coffee:

~G

Lonestar
09-20-2008, 04:15 PM
Don't worry about it. I thought you were calling out anybody who disagreed with the never ending fount that is Shanny's genius for an actual discussion.

You just wanted to wave your wang around and piss yourself delirious happiness.

Continue. :coffee:

~G

Let me repeat 2 out of what is is now 14 drafts is nothing to write home about..

It is merely a good start.. Lets hope it does not go to his head like picking TD in the 6th did..

Lets hope with Pat watching over his shoulder and clamping down on FA that he remains grounded and NO longer calls the names like his personal hall of shame..

LIKE these day one wonders:
clarette
tater
Watts
lesueur
foster
pierce
ashley
davis
wee willie
toveisi
cole
mcgriff
watson
NASH
brown
smith
campbell

He has made great strides since 2006. let hope it continues and is not just the law of averages catching up in one year..

dogfish
09-20-2008, 05:57 PM

time to switch to decaf. . . . :laugh: