PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Dick LeBeau's contract up

Ziggy
01-23-2011, 04:36 PM
The contract of Pittsburgh Steelers Hall of Fame defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau expires after this season, according to league sources.

LeBeau is regarded as arguably the league's top defensive coordinator. He was instrumental in the success of former Steelers coach Bill Cowher and current Steelers coach Mike Tomlin.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2010/news/story?id=6051213

Offer this man head coaching money to come in here and build a defensive culture in Denver. I doubt he ever leaves the Steelers, but Elway would be crazy not to at least try to bring him in as our D coordinator for the next decade.

slim
01-23-2011, 04:41 PM
He is 75 (I think).

I bet he will retire.

BroncoStud
01-23-2011, 04:59 PM
Bring in some young blood to grow with the defense, no need to hire a mercenary for a few seasons.

slim
01-23-2011, 05:00 PM
Bring in some young blood to grow with the defense, no need to hire a mercenary for a few seasons.

Yeah we need stability here, not someone that will be gone in 2 years.

DenBronx
01-23-2011, 05:19 PM
This is a pipedream. No way the Steelers let him walk. LeBeau, even at his age is still one of the elite DC's in the game today.

Our D would instantly be a factor and the best part...we would stick with the 3-4.

Ziggy
01-23-2011, 05:35 PM
I don't care how old the guy is. He's said that he has no intentions of retiring, and feels young. That's enough for me. He's the best defensive mind in the game today.

BroncoStud
01-23-2011, 05:43 PM
I don't care how old the guy is. He's said that he has no intentions of retiring, and feels young. That's enough for me. He's the best defensive mind in the game today.

Dom Capers is proving that he isn't shabby either.

sneakers
01-23-2011, 06:02 PM
hhahaha and the steelers are gonna let him go.

DenBronx
01-23-2011, 06:18 PM
Dom Capers is proving that he isn't shabby either.

GB hired him the same year we went after Nolan. Both teams switched to a 3-4. GB got better each year, we got ALOT better and Dume lead the league in sacks. Then we let Nolan walk. This was a huge mistake IMO because defenses win championships. Green Bay is now going to the superbowl.

Maybe we can actually stick with a scheme and build through the draft for once. John Lynch and John Elway both said we need to focus on this.

If the Bears had the fridge (William Perry) in the 80's well the Pack has the freezer (BJ Raji) in 2011.

cuzz4169
01-23-2011, 06:24 PM
This guy isn't leaving Pittsburgh lol...and anyways Fox is a Defensive coach he's not gonna bring in a guy who he's gonna butt-heads with.

DenBronx
01-23-2011, 06:34 PM
This guy isn't leaving Pittsburgh lol...and anyways Fox is a Defensive coach he's not gonna bring in a guy who he's gonna butt-heads with.

And I think Fox is leaning towards a 4-3. Tomlin was smart and stayed out of LeBeau's way and just let him coach the D.

My thoughts are we will wait on Trgovac anyways.

gobroncsnv
01-23-2011, 07:17 PM
Trgovac would be great, but I would rather have Raji, Hawk, Matthews, and some of the other chess pieces that Trg gets to have on his board. We have a lot more player acquisition work to do than we have regarding the schemes we run. We do need to get a great DC, but we better give him some roster help for his side of the ball. Elvis Dumervil can NOT be our only great off-season "pickup" this year.

Ravage!!!
01-23-2011, 08:00 PM

Butt heads with? Ohhh... you must be used to McDaniels. Most HCs respect their coordinators and work WITH them. When you have a guy like Lebeau on your team, you wouldn't "butt heads" with him, unless your last name is McDaniels.

cuzz4169
01-23-2011, 08:59 PM
Butt heads with? Ohhh... you must be used to McDaniels. Most HCs respect their coordinators and work WITH them. When you have a guy like Lebeau on your team, you wouldn't "butt heads" with him, unless your last name is McDaniels.

Fox is a defensive coach who takes pride in being a defensive coach. What you guys aren't getting is the defense is gonna be fox's show. That's why you wont see a big name dc. Mcdaniels is/was a punk.

Bosco
01-23-2011, 10:49 PM
GB hired him the same year we went after Nolan. Both teams switched to a 3-4. GB got better each year, we got ALOT better and Dume lead the league in sacks. Then we let Nolan walk. This was a huge mistake IMO because defenses win championships. Green Bay is now going to the superbowl.

Hiring Nolan over Capers was a serious screw up on McDaniels part.

As for LeBeau, I'd be absolutely elated if we hired him. That's a serious long shot though.

CrazyHorse
01-23-2011, 10:54 PM
hhahaha and the steelers are gonna let him go.

Hopefully he retires and the Steelers fade into oblivion.

DenBronx
01-23-2011, 11:08 PM
Hiring Nolan over Capers was a serious screw up on McDaniels part.

As for LeBeau, I'd be absolutely elated if we hired him. That's a serious long shot though.

Well, the Pack also drafted very wisely as of late. No Raji/Matthews/Bulaga/ then I'm not so sure they would have been that good. Capers is good but with the right players in place things tend to look even better.

Nolan had us on going in the right direction at least.

Bosco
01-23-2011, 11:25 PM
Well, the Pack also drafted very wisely as of late. No Raji/Matthews/Bulaga/ then I'm not so sure they would have been that good. Capers is good but with the right players in place things tend to look even better.

Nolan had us on going in the right direction at least.

Nolan was playing outside of his comfort zone though, which is one of the reasons we fell apart in 2009.

That's the absurdity of it though. Josh said he wanted an exotic, aggressive blitzing defense. Capers has done that for years. Nolan, OTOH, has always run very vanilla read and react defenses. Why he decided to hire Nolan and have the tiger change it's stripes instead of going for the guy who practically invented the zone blitz is beyond me, especially since he and Capers had both worked on New England's staff.

DenBronx
01-23-2011, 11:30 PM
Nolan was playing outside of his comfort zone though, which is one of the reasons we fell apart in 2009.

That's the absurdity of it though. Josh said he wanted an exotic, aggressive blitzing defense. Capers has done that for years. Nolan, OTOH, has always run very vanilla read and react defenses. Why he decided to hire Nolan and have the tiger change it's stripes instead of going for the guy who practically invented the zone blitz is beyond me, especially since he and Capers had both worked on New England's staff.

Nolan actually was pissed because McD went out of his element and tried to change the defense down the stretch. It only made things worse and pissed Nolan off. Who is now in Miami having good results.

Maybe we wouldnt have had an "elite" defense but it would have been good, which is better than terrible.

red98
01-23-2011, 11:45 PM
Nolan actually was pissed because McD went out of his element and tried to change the defense down the stretch. It only made things worse and pissed Nolan off. Who is now in Miami having good results.

Maybe we wouldnt have had an "elite" defense but it would have been good, which is better than terrible.

I think Capers turned the Broncos down.

Bosco
01-23-2011, 11:45 PM
Nolan actually was pissed because McD went out of his element and tried to change the defense down the stretch. It only made things worse and pissed Nolan off. Who is now in Miami having good results. The defense was changed from the start. Our defense was much more aggressive than anything he had run in his previous stops. Even Nolan spoke openly of the change in a training camp interview.

Nolan did start to revert back to his old read and react ways not like after the bye week, and that is when we started getting gashed. It wouldn't surprise me if Josh was pissed off about that. Hell, we all saw Josh absolutely screaming at Nolan over the headseat after Indy dropped 21 on us in a quarter.

That's why I wasn't bothered with Nolan leaving. He's a decent enough coordinator, but his philosophy was vastly different from that of the head coach. It's a match that never should have happened in the first place.

Maybe we wouldnt have had an "elite" defense but it would have been good, which is better than terrible. I doubt it. Defense isn't like offense, where you can gameplan away from your weaknesses, and with all the problems we had on defense even a truly elite DC like Capers or LeBeau wouldn't have had us much better than 20th or so.

DenBronx
01-23-2011, 11:46 PM
I think Capers turned the Broncos down.

GB might have offered him more money. And with Shanny still on the books we were trying to conserve. I think Capers was our first choice though.

red98
01-23-2011, 11:49 PM
GB might have offered him more money. And with Shanny still on the books we were trying to conserve. I think Capers was our first choice though.

Could be. At least we made an attempt. Not a good enough one as it turns out.

I wonder if we'll get Green Bay's D-line coach as our next DC?

Bosco
01-23-2011, 11:50 PM
Could be. At least we made an attempt. Not a good enough one as it turns out. What could have been...

TXBRONC
01-24-2011, 09:21 PM

I don't think he was even offered an interview.