PDA

View Full Version : How much time do you spend watching football?

Spiritguy
01-23-2011, 03:38 PM
Ok folks, here's some interesting trivia. :listen:

(Posted 15 Jan 11) Football fans everywhere are preparing to settle in for the NFL's biggest and most electric weekend of the season—a four-game playoff marathon that will swallow up at least 12 hours of broadcast time over two days.

But here's something even dedicated students of the game may not fully appreciate: There's very little actual football in a football game.

According to a Wall Street Journal study of four recent broadcasts, and similar estimates by researchers, the average amount of time the ball is in play on the field during an NFL game is about 11 minutes.

In other words, if you tally up everything that happens between the time the ball is snapped and the play is whistled dead by the officials, there's barely enough time to prepare a hard-boiled egg. In fact, the average telecast devotes 56% more time to showing replays.

read the rest here (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704281204575002852055561406.html)

Now how can anyones other half be upset with this? :D

AZBronco
01-23-2011, 04:19 PM
Wow, this makes me feel like I waste A LOT of time!

I always thought that this one was interesting.
Name all teams among MLB, NBA, and NHL that don't end in an "s".

slim
01-23-2011, 04:24 PM
Ok folks, here's some interesting trivia. :listen:

(Posted 15 Jan 11) Football fans everywhere are preparing to settle in for the NFL's biggest and most electric weekend of the season—a four-game playoff marathon that will swallow up at least 12 hours of broadcast time over two days.

But here's something even dedicated students of the game may not fully appreciate: There's very little actual football in a football game.

According to a Wall Street Journal study of four recent broadcasts, and similar estimates by researchers, the average amount of time the ball is in play on the field during an NFL game is about 11 minutes.

In other words, if you tally up everything that happens between the time the ball is snapped and the play is whistled dead by the officials, there's barely enough time to prepare a hard-boiled egg. In fact, the average telecast devotes 56% more time to showing replays.

read the rest here (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704281204575002852055561406.html)

Now how can anyones other half be upset with this? :D

Well, let's see. I have read that the average price (for a family of 4) to attend a game is around $500 (tickets, parking, food, etc). According to my math, that is like $45 per minute of action. :shocked:

Spiritguy
01-23-2011, 04:36 PM
Well, let's see. I have read that the average price (for a family of 4) to attend a game is around $500 (tickets, parking, food, etc). According to my math, that is like $45 per minute of action. :shocked:

Dang, :eek:

UrbanBounca
01-24-2011, 01:41 AM
This is very, very depressing, actually.

Dirk
01-24-2011, 06:56 AM
I don't care....I'm gonna watch it all anyway! :lol:

UnderArmour
01-24-2011, 08:24 AM
NFL should shorten the play clock and go to the college rule where the clock doesn't start until they move the chains. It could add anywhere from 20 to 30 plays per game.

Dzone
01-24-2011, 09:44 AM
I spend too much time watching and following football.

MasterShake
01-24-2011, 10:04 AM

And the ball is in play in soccer for all BUT 11 minutes and I can't be forced to watch it unless the USA is in the world cup. Its not about the 11 minutes the ball is in play, its about all the stuff before and after the snap and even in the week leading up to the game. There is so much drama around football that the game itself is just the payoff on sunday. Without the rivalries, crap talking, tailgating, etc. football is just a game. I can't think of many sports where people are more excited about the offseason (like having draft parties) than they are during the season sometimes.

That being said, the only football I watch religously is Broncos related, including preseason. I will watch the Sunday/Monday night games if its a good matchup, and I watch nearly all the playoff games if I can. Other than that, on Sundays I only really carve time out for the Broncos but keep track of the scores on my phone.

TXBRONC
01-24-2011, 10:16 AM
It depends on who you ask. If you ask my wife it's way to much. If you ask me it's not as bad as my wife thinks.

Juriga72
01-24-2011, 11:09 AM
I bet it STILL is not even close to "How much time you spend watching the first week of the NCAA men's basketball tourny"......

Cause I dont even speak to my wife for that week.....

Day1BroncoFan
01-24-2011, 01:23 PM
Well, I think I proley watch about 11 minutes of football every time I watch a game. I spend the rest of the time watching replays, commercials and eating snacks or whatever.

There is a study for everything these days.

LSIGRAD09
01-24-2011, 10:42 PM
I cherish every minute of it.