PDA

View Full Version : With options aplenty, Denver offense is exploding

honz
09-19-2008, 12:36 PM
Here is a decent read from Burger Bill's blog.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation/0-1-972/With-options-aplenty--Denver-offense-is-exploding.html

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

Champ Bailey had no answer.

Bailey, one of the best cornerbacks of this pass-friendly era, tried and tried. Finally, the shutdown cornerback shook his head and decided he was pleased it is not his problem to figure a way to stop the Denver Broncos' passing game.

"I'm glad I don't have to be in charge of stopping our offense," Bailey said. "I don't know how you do it. I really don't. The sky is the limit with that group. The options are amazing."

Two games into the 2008 season and there is no offense in the NFL that has been as dangerous, as impressive or as productive as the Denver Broncos' offense. The Broncos, who play host to New Orleans on Sunday, have scored 80 points in two games and are almost scoring at will (Maybe that's why Denver coach Mike Shanahan went for two points to beat San Diego last Sunday). Denver is one of the early surprises of the league, and its high-flying aerial show is the story of the 2-0 Broncos. With Tom Brady hurt in New England, the Colts showing some age and the Bengals imploding, this pass-catch group in Denver may become the best offensive story of the AFC.

In his 14th season in Denver, Shanahan has as much aerial firepower as the early days of his tenure, which was, of course, highlighted by Super Bowl championships in the 1997 and '98 seasons. As silly as it sounds, this Broncos passing attack has a chance to remind fans of John Elway's final days in Denver as he chucked the ball to a young Rod Smith, a reliable Ed McCaffrey and the premier receiving tight end of his time, Shannon Sharpe. Shanahan knows he is onto something.

"We have a chance to be as good as anybody," Shanahan said. "We have a chance to be the best in the league."

Entering his second full season as Denver's starting quarterback, Jay Cutler looks as if he is ready to become an elite player in the NFL. Cutler has shown no signs of trouble dealing with his recently diagnosed Type 1 diabetes on the field. He has thrown for 650 yards and six touchdowns.

Cutler is darting the ball all over the field, and he has plenty of options. His top option is receiver Brandon Marshall, whose goal of 140 receptions looks reasonable. Marshall, who didn't play in Denver's 41-14 whipping of Oakland in the season opener because of an NFL suspension, caught 18 passes in Denver's 39-38 win over San Diego on Sunday. It was tied for the second most receptions in a game in NFL history.

Even though he has played only one game, Marshall is the leading NFL receiver by three catches. He leads breakout Broncos rookie Eddie Royal by four catches. His 55 receptions in his past five games is the most by any receiver in the NFL during a five-game stretch. Royal, who embarrassed Raiders Pro Bowl cornerback DeAngelo Hall by catching nine passes in the season opener, caught Cutler's final two passes good for eight points (the game-winning touchdown and ensuing two-point conversion) and a shocking win over San Diego.

In Marshall and Royal, Denver has potentially one of the toughest receiving crews in the league. Cutler, who has one of the fastest, tightest passes in the NFL, can also go to reliable No. 3 receiver Brandon Stokley and pass-catching tight end Tony Scheffler, who like Cutler and Marshall was drafted in 2006. Cutler is clearly comfortable with his options.

"Yeah it makes it easy. My job is getting easier week by week with these guys," Cutler said. "With Brandon (Marshall) back and the way that Eddie (Royal) is playing and Tony (Scheffler) and Daniel Graham. We have (Brandon) Stokley coming in there on third downs, the line is playing well and the backs are protecting and getting out when I need them. It is fun."

It has been fun to watch. Under Shanahan and passing coordinator Jeremy Bates, who at 32 may be one of the next hot head-coaching candidates in the league, the Broncos are brutal to defend against. The offense features several alignments and routes. On every play, someone is open.

Whether it's Marshall breaking open 18 times, Royal successfully running the same play on back-to-back scores against San Diego, Stokley making another third-down conversion or Scheffler breaking loose near the end zone, the Denver passing offense is exploding. Remember, it has faced two of the better cornerback tandems -- Oakland and San Diego -- in the AFC. And still, the Denver passing offense has dominated.

"Our guys are amazing," Bailey said. "I really don't know how they will be stopped."

Lonestar
09-19-2008, 12:44 PM
conversely if the defense can't stop the opponent someone is going to start running the ball and gain TOP and keep the ball from Jay and company..

If he can't pass the ball because he does not have it all the WR in the world are not going to help..

NightTrainLayne
09-19-2008, 12:50 PM
conversely if the defense can't stop the opponent someone is going to start running the ball and gain TOP and keep the ball from Jay and company..

If he can't pass the ball because he does not have it all the WR in the world are not going to help..

Good Lord JR, can't you be positive for just one post somewhere?

:D

Somewhere down the line this will happen and the defense won't be able to slow our opponents down enough, but thank God for this explosive offense which will keep us in the game with anybody. We may lose some because of the defense, but gone are the days of the 33-3 loss at home.

One step at a time.

honz
09-19-2008, 12:51 PM

Yep. I think it is clear that our offense is going to be able to put up some points on just about anybody, but we need our D to step up. If our defense can just play decent week in and week out, we should be able to win a lot of games this year.

BroncoWave
09-19-2008, 01:37 PM

Well that didn't take you long to come in and shit on a positive thread! :salute:

Lonestar
09-19-2008, 01:37 PM
Good Lord JR, can't you be positive for just one post somewhere?

:D

Somewhere down the line this will happen and the defense won't be able to slow our opponents down enough, but thank God for this explosive offense which will keep us in the game with anybody. We may lose some because of the defense, but gone are the days of the 33-3 loss at home.

One step at a time.

now it will be a 43-42 loss.. If you like offense then you will be happy..

One of these days Jay is going to have a off day.. then the chickens come home to roost.. There is a weather factor, wind rain and snow that has to be factored in.. He who lives by the pass also dies by it.. Case in point the last Superbowl..

While I'm happy about having a real offense again I really get concerned about the total lack of defense..

I'm tried of losing games because the other team had the ball last and scored with 12 seconds to go..

Those types of teams fare poorly in the playoffs afterall that is mikeys only goal now isn't it?

Lonestar
09-19-2008, 01:40 PM
Well that didn't take you long to come in and shit on a positive thread! :salute:

lets just say bringing a bit of real life to it.. :salute: I know that everyone is happy about having some Offense again as am I.

I just do not want to be totally devastated like some will be, when the worms turns.. and it will..

I know there is an ignore feature in your user area please fell free to use it..

NightTrainLayne
09-19-2008, 01:41 PM
now it will be a 43-42 loss.. If you like offense then you will be happy..

One of these days Jay is going to have a off day.. then the chickens come home to roost.. There is a weather factor, wind rain and snow that has to be factored in.. He who lives by the pass also dies by it.. Case in point the last Superbowl..

While I'm happy about having a real offense again I really get concerned about the total lack of defense..

I'm tried of losing games because the other team had the ball last and scored with 12 seconds to go..

Those types of teams fare poorly in the playoffs afterall that is mikeys only goal now isn't it?

Well, JR, then I suggest you go into hibernation for a year, and tune back in next year, because it's too late to do a whole lot about the Defense this year.

For myself, I'm going to enjoy watching the games, and be happy that our offense is set, and that the Defense isn't that far away from being good again, and most likely by next season.

One step at a time.

underrated29
09-19-2008, 02:21 PM
Guys the defense is not as bad as it seems. We took on what almost ALL experts and scouts said would be the team who would win the superbowl. They also said they had one of the most potent offenses. Guys we almost really shut them down. There were a few "fluke" plays that wont happen again like they did.

1. the FB going for 60 yards.
2. sproles going for a td in a dump off pass.
3. retrun kickoff for a td (well our coverage sucks so this might occur again.)

But seriously we pretty much shut them down, take away those few plays and we did really really well against the supposed superbowl champs.

Our defense is better than how it looks. Our offense is probably not quite as good as it looks. So expect one to get better while the other slightly tapers off.

I still see us around 31+ a game, and on defense i would say around 21 against us.

BroncoWave
09-19-2008, 03:02 PM
lets just say bringing a bit of real life to it.. :salute: I know that everyone is happy about having some Offense again as am I.

I just do not want to be totally devastated like some will be, when the worms turns.. and it will..

I know there is an ignore feature in your user area please fell free to use it..

Well I think it would make more sense to bitch about our defense in a thread about our defense instead of a thread about our offense, but whatever floats your boat.

And you know very well that mods can't be added to the ignore list!

tomjonesrocks
09-19-2008, 03:09 PM
Well I think it would make more sense to bitch about our defense in a thread about our defense instead of a thread about our offense, but whatever floats your boat.

Was going to write something similar. Yes, our defense and special teams suck. And our running game has question marks. No, you can't pencil this team as a real Super Bowl contender yet. None of that is covered in the (albeit somewhat overdone) article though.

The takeaway for me is that the Denver offense hasn't been truly exciting since Elway retired (my opinion). In fact, Portis aside, I'm not sure there's been a single offensive *player* in Denver that's been truly exciting. There's been a scant few good guys--but "exciting"? Not to me at least. Anyway, I haven't rewound tape to watch Broncos offensive series' for the sake of entertainment in years--and have done that in both games this season. The team is fun to watch. It's not a bad thing.

tomjonesrocks
09-19-2008, 03:15 PM
Guys the defense is not as bad as it seems.

[snip]

There were a few "fluke" plays that wont happen again like they did.

But seriously we pretty much shut them down, take away those few plays

[snip]

I wrote above that I agreed that criticism of the defense isn't really needed in a thread that's praising the offense's effectiveness in the early season--but still--isn't what you wrote here kind of like saying "if your aunt had balls, she'd be your uncle" ?

Gimpygod
09-19-2008, 04:23 PM

No you're not bringing real life to anything. Not over a month ago you had us at 1-6 going into the bye week. Losing the first two. You were being "real" then but you were wrong. That's why the pessimist is an easy role to play because they can say, "I told you so" if things go wrong and then simply join the bandwagon when things turn out good.

The way I see it the reality is we had a horrible defense and special teams last year and a mediocre offense. We were either squeaking by or getting crushed so I like this Year way better. You are most definitely correct that the defense isn't playing well and I'm not so sure it's just the defensive line. Rivers didn't have a ton of time and yet he was lighting up champ.

It's cool to be able to recognize flaws but don't forget to enjoy the positive things as well and, what the heck, point them out every once in a while.:beer:

Lonestar
09-19-2008, 09:43 PM

And you know very well that mods can't be added to the ignore list!

Actually I did not know that maybe I should not be a mod so youc an IGGY me..

omac
09-19-2008, 09:49 PM
Guys the defense is not as bad as it seems. We took on what almost ALL experts and scouts said would be the team who would win the superbowl. They also said they had one of the most potent offenses. Guys we almost really shut them down. There were a few "fluke" plays that wont happen again like they did.

But seriously we pretty much shut them down, take away those few plays and we did really really well against the supposed superbowl champs.

Our defense is better than how it looks. Our offense is probably not quite as good as it looks. So expect one to get better while the other slightly tapers off.

I still see us around 31+ a game, and on defense i would say around 21 against us.

While I agree with you that aside from a few plays, the defense was did good, but that's what separates the good defensive teams from teh average, mediocre, or poor; getting it done when it's needed the most. It's those few plays that can be the difference, not just in the score, but in the momentum aspects of the game.

Denver's D has improved from last season; we're at least making the opponents work a little harder on offense, instead of just giving the games away like last season. We just need to learn to lock it down when needed. There's a reason Shanny went for 2.

On a side note: most analysts will always downplay Denver's achievements. When we scored a ton against Oakland, they didn't give us credit. When we held them scoreless for most of the game, they didn't give us credit.

(added) That 2 point Cutler conversion; on the top 10 plays of the week video, they had it at number 10. :confused:

It was those same analysts who predicted .... 1) That Jay Cutler wouldn't be able to fare well against their vaunted secondary; that he'd throw INTs and have a horrendous game, and 2) That the Raiders' rushing offense would eat up our weak rush defense and score points.

After that game, they didn't give us credit for our offense, saying it was only against Oakland. They also didn't give us credit for our defense, again saying it was against Oakland. What happened to all their pre-game analyses? Instead of crediting Denver, they discredited Oakland.

We later see these same Broncos put up the same amount of points and yards against SD. So now they believe we have a great passing offense. They won't give us credit on our rushing defense, that was pretty good against SD for at least a half, and for all but a few plays in the 2nd half.

Also, a game later, the Raiders show what their offense and defense can do against KC. The Raiders won't get much credit for that, since now, it's only against KC, that same KC team that they applauded vigorously for keeping the game close against NE.

Lots of analysts are saying how Jay now knows how to bring his team back ... now? Weren't they paying attention since he's entered the league?

Just wish sometimes these analysts just admit when they were wrong, instead of pretending like it never happened. Still haven't heard from Jamie "Favre Lover" Dukes on how dead wrong he was about Aaron Rodgers. :coffee:

Lonestar
09-19-2008, 09:53 PM
No you're not bringing real life to anything. Not over a month ago you had us at 1-6 going into the bye week. Losing the first two. You were being "real" then but you were wrong. That's why the pessimist is an easy role to play because they can say, "I told you so" if things go wrong and then simply join the bandwagon when things turn out good.

The way I see it the reality is we had a horrible defense and special teams last year and a mediocre offense. We were either squeaking by or getting crushed so I like this Year way better. You are most definitely correct that the defense isn't playing well and I'm not so sure it's just the defensive line. Rivers didn't have a ton of time and yet he was lighting up champ.

It's cool to be able to recognize flaws but don't forget to enjoy the positive things as well and, what the heck, point them out every once in a while.:beer:

Well call it what you wish.. I took my orange colored glass off a few years back when mikey said for the 3-4th time we were one maybe 2 players away from being super bowl contenders in his EOY press conference..

I remember those things because frankly I used to believe him. Then something triggered ("hey I've heard that speech before") so I went back and was able to listen to him get up there and use last years speech to mollify everyone in DEN.. Just changed the names to protect the innocent.

It was a defining moment for me.. When I lost faith in what I considered the best HC in the NFL..

BTW I do not remember but a single time that rivers was flushed from the pocket and dropped for a 1-2 yard loss...

Gamechanger
09-19-2008, 09:59 PM
this will be the year the Bronco's make the playoffs, i can feel it in my gut

and trust me, this is a hard pill to swallow too when i say this:

If we face off in the playoffs, it may be a loss on our behalf

but if so, i'm glad it came to ya'll guys :salute: (am i prohibited from using the salute?)

yardog
09-19-2008, 09:59 PM
Well call it what you wish.. I took my orange colored glass off a few years back when mikey said for the 3-4th time we were one maybe 2 players away from being super bowl contenders in his EOY press conference..

I remember those things because frankly I used to believe him. Then something triggered ("hey I've heard that speech before") so I went back and was able to listen to him get up there and use last years speech to mollify everyone in DEN.. Just changed the names to protect the innocent.

It was a defining moment for me.. When I lost faith in what I considered the best HC in the NFL..

BTW I do not remember but a single time that rivers was flushed from the pocket and dropped for a 1-2 yard loss...

JR
I think if sit back and enjoy this season you might start to believe as I do that Mikey put his trust in the wrong people and has since corrected the problems. Well expect for the D cord maybe.

Lonestar
09-19-2008, 10:20 PM
JR
I think if sit back and enjoy this season you might start to believe as I do that Mikey put his trust in the wrong people and has since corrected the problems. Well expect for the D cord maybe.

What about ST's and the maybe running game..

this team still has a alot of issues to deal with nd being able to throw 350 yards a game can and will overcome some of it..

But with the youth on the team and almost total lack of depth. well IMO those are huge problems waiting to happen.

I'll pace my bets on 2009 and beyond if we can come up with a few hot bodies on D.. and keeping most of the 2006 and forward draftees..

BTW I do not have much faith in mikey having corrected any FO problem except perhaps getting rid on DINGER. I have zero faith in slowik as dog catcher let alone DC.

The only reason he is around is mikey will need another scape goat come mid DEC.

yardog
09-19-2008, 10:34 PM
What about ST's and the maybe running game..

this team still has a alot of issues to deal with nd being able to throw 350 yards a game can and will overcome some of it..

But with the youth on the team and almost total lack of depth. well IMO those are huge problems waiting to happen.

I'll pace my bets on 2009 and beyond if we can come up with a few hot bodies on D.. and keeping most of the 2006 and forward draftees..

BTW I do not have much faith in mikey having corrected any FO problem except perhaps getting rid on DINGER. I have zero faith in slowik as dog catcher let alone DC.

The only reason he is around is mikey will need another scape goat come mid DEC.

I agree with you we are rebuilding with youth and it will take time. I can see the improvement in the draft picks that are playing good now.

I'm excited to see what the rookie RB can do after seeing Royal play the first two games.

Dinger needed to go and I'm also glade he's gone.

I wasn't high on Slowik and nothing I've seen in the first two games has changed that.

I still think we are on the right track. The only thing that has changed is the front office personnel.

Lonestar
09-19-2008, 10:37 PM
I agree with you we are rebuilding with youth and it will take time. I can see the improvement in the draft picks that are playing good now.

I'm excited to see what the rookie RB can do after seeing Royal play the first two games.

Dinger needed to go and I'm also glade he's gone.

I wasn't high on Slowik and nothing I've seen in the first two games has changed that.

I still think we are on the right track. The only thing that has changed is the front office personnel.

finally someone else that sees the issues and is not blinded by mikey speak.

I know they are on the cusp of being good.. But the defense is gonna cost them big time sooner or later.. If we see the playoffs unless the D stands tall it is one and done..

honz
09-19-2008, 10:43 PM

I know they are on the cusp of being good.. But the defense is gonna cost them big time sooner or later.. If we see the playoffs unless the D stands tall it is one and done..
I don't think anyone expects us to waltz into the Super Bowl, but this year's team is clearly better (and more exciting) than last years team. I think most fans realize that we have some serious holes on D, but what's so wrong about being excited about this team? We are 2-0, we have an explosive offense, and we appear to have a legit shot at making the playoffs, which is what it is all about...anything can happen once you get to the playoffs. It's okay to be excited and optimistic!:elefant:

yardog
09-19-2008, 10:44 PM

The Def is a big concern for me. I'm hoping they find the right combination of players before the season is over. I'm not sure we have all the right pieces but I'm holding out hope. Maybe we have a Bob Sanders and Ray Lewis on the practice squad. :cool:

BroncoWave
09-20-2008, 01:20 AM
Actually I did not know that maybe I should not be a mod so youc an IGGY me..

I wouldn't iggy you. It's no fun without people to argue with! :D

BroncoWave
09-20-2008, 01:24 AM
This is a total pipedream but I think it would be sweet as shit if when Patrick Willis's contract with the 49ers ends, and if they still suck at that point, he came to Denver. Just imagine if we'd traded up for him instead of getting Moss! It'll probably never happen but he would look great in blue and orange!

Nomad
09-20-2008, 04:33 AM
Alot of love coming from ESPN this year, scary:shocked:! This is a fun offense to watch with the aeriel attacks but I do miss the running game Denver excelled at for many years!! We do need the defense and ST to step up!

MileHighWrath
09-20-2008, 11:14 AM
Saw the title of the thread, read the article from Burger Bill and was excited to read and participate in the discussion about this incredible mile high offense. WTF happened? How was this thread hijacked into a negative debate about the defense? Who is the ******* that doesn't know how to post about defense in a thread about defense? And why did everyone else engage and allow the hijack to continue?

Thanks A-Hole!

Now that I have that out of the way. It's truly fun to watch a powerful offense dictate a football game (when it's my team doing it) and taking the other teams game plan away from them early. back in the 90s we watched as the Denver O piled the points up in the first quarter forcing the other teams into a one dimensional air attack to try and recover. Perhaps this is the most important effect an O like we've seen recently has on the flow of the game. Tomorrow saints game should be fascinating as they seem to have the offensive tools necessary to compete with the Denver O, but can they? I see Cutler ripping that secondary apart a lot easier than brees working against our guys. I'm looking forward to another stellar day for Royal/Marsh attack.

Go Broncos!

yardog
09-20-2008, 12:44 PM
Saw the title of the thread, read the article from Burger Bill and was excited to read and participate in the discussion about this incredible mile high offense. WTF happened? How was this thread hijacked into a negative debate about the defense? Who is the ******* that doesn't know how to post about defense in a thread about defense? And why did everyone else engage and allow the hijack to continue?

Thanks A-Hole!

Now that I have that out of the way. It's truly fun to watch a powerful offense dictate a football game (when it's my team doing it) and taking the other teams game plan away from them early. back in the 90s we watched as the Denver O piled the points up in the first quarter forcing the other teams into a one dimensional air attack to try and recover. Perhaps this is the most important effect an O like we've seen recently has on the flow of the game. Tomorrow saints game should be fascinating as they seem to have the offensive tools necessary to compete with the Denver O, but can they? I see Cutler ripping that secondary apart a lot easier than brees working against our guys. I'm looking forward to another stellar day for Royal/Marsh attack.

Go Broncos!

Your welcome. :tsk:

Gimpygod
09-20-2008, 03:20 PM
Alot of love coming from ESPN this year, scary:shocked:! This is a fun offense to watch with the aeriel attacks but I do miss the running game Denver excelled at for many years!! We do need the defense and ST to step up!

We are 10th in the league in rushing yards per game and tied for first in rushing touchdowns With the Cowboys who are ranked 13th in rushing... imagine what happens if we actually try to run.:eek: Seriously, what's going to happen when defenses sellout to stop the pass -- which they will not be able to do successfully -- with our rushing game? It's going to be awe-inspiring.

Rk Team G Pts/G TotPts Att Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD Lng 1st 1st% 20+ 40+ FUM
1 Baltimore Ravens 1 17 17 46 46.0 229 5.0 229.0 2 42T 12 26.1 2 1 1
2 Oakland Raiders 2 18.5 37 77 38.5 450 5.8 225.0 2 50 19 24.7 6 2 5
3 Atlanta Falcons 2 21.5 43 70 35.0 423 6.0 211.5 3 66T 19 27.1 3 1 1
4 Minnesota Vikings 2 17 34 69 34.5 366 5.3 183.0 1 34 17 24.6 3 0 0
5 New York Giants 2 28.5 57 63 31.5 354 5.6 177.0 2 31T 20 31.7 4 0 0
6 Tennessee Titans 2 20.5 41 73 36.5 314 4.3 157.0 2 51 16 21.9 1 1 1
7 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 2 22 44 48 24.0 310 6.5 155.0 2 68T 9 18.8 2 2 0
8 Pittsburgh Steelers 2 24 48 70 35.0 300 4.3 150.0 3 32 15 21.4 1 0 1
9 Chicago Bears 2 23 46 68 34.0 298 4.4 149.0 3 50T 15 22.1 1 1 0
10 Denver Broncos 2 40 80 58 29.0 286 4.9 143.0 4 49 19 32.8 1 1 0

Npba900
09-20-2008, 07:00 PM
While I agree with you that aside from a few plays, the defense was did good, but that's what separates the good defensive teams from teh average, mediocre, or poor; getting it done when it's needed the most. It's those few plays that can be the difference, not just in the score, but in the momentum aspects of the game.

Denver's D has improved from last season; we're at least making the opponents work a little harder on offense, instead of just giving the games away like last season. We just need to learn to lock it down when needed. There's a reason Shanny went for 2.

On a side note: most analysts will always downplay Denver's achievements. When we scored a ton against Oakland, they didn't give us credit. When we held them scoreless for most of the game, they didn't give us credit.

(added) That 2 point Cutler conversion; on the top 10 plays of the week video, they had it at number 10. :confused:

It was those same analysts who predicted .... 1) That Jay Cutler wouldn't be able to fare well against their vaunted secondary; that he'd throw INTs and have a horrendous game, and 2) That the Raiders' rushing offense would eat up our weak rush defense and score points.

After that game, they didn't give us credit for our offense, saying it was only against Oakland. They also didn't give us credit for our defense, again saying it was against Oakland. What happened to all their pre-game analyses? Instead of crediting Denver, they discredited Oakland.

We later see these same Broncos put up the same amount of points and yards against SD. So now they believe we have a great passing offense. They won't give us credit on our rushing defense, that was pretty good against SD for at least a half, and for all but a few plays in the 2nd half.

Also, a game later, the Raiders show what their offense and defense can do against KC. The Raiders won't get much credit for that, since now, it's only against KC, that same KC team that they applauded vigorously for keeping the game close against NE.

Lots of analysts are saying how Jay now knows how to bring his team back ... now? Weren't they paying attention since he's entered the league?

Just wish sometimes these analysts just admit when they were wrong, instead of pretending like it never happened. Still haven't heard from Jamie "Favre Lover" Dukes on how dead wrong he was about Aaron Rodgers. :coffee:

OMAC great analyst. I for one can breathe a sigh of relief and am excited that finally, coach Shanahan has a QB that can not only run a Shanahan diversified offense, but Cutler can make all the throws and reads.

Simply put, its been a decade long search for Shanahan to finally have a QB with the tools of a Elway or Steve Young. If theres one thing Shanahan knows, its Offense!

Three years ago IMHO, the NFL teams allowed Shanahan to move up to number 11 in the draft and pick the best QB in the 2006 draft at their own peril. Now Cutler has two dynamic and talented WR's in Marshall and Royal, this offense is down right scary.

As for the NFL analyst.....don't worry they will all hitch a ride on the Bronco Band wagon.

Side Note: Ashley Liele has gotta be shaking his head by now on his momumental screw up right about now, imagine with his speed the numbers he could have put up with Cutlers arm strength.

Benetto
09-20-2008, 07:18 PM
Jay needs to work on looking off defenders...He stares WAaaaaay too long at the WR he is targeting..He never looks off DB's..We're all lucky he has a Laser arm, and throws the ball with so much velocity, it looks like a fastball pitch. Defenders know the ball is coming, but don't have quick enough reflexes to knock it down or pull it in for a pick.

Tned
09-20-2008, 07:30 PM
Jay needs to work on looking off defenders...He stares WAaaaaay too long at the WR he is targeting..He never looks off DB's..We're all lucky he has a Laser arm, and throws the ball with so much velocity, it looks like a fastball pitch. Defenders know the ball is coming, but don't have quick enough reflexes to knock it down or pull it in for a pick.

He has been much better this year. Maybe not on every play, but I know there have been a couple plays where I was looking at the receiver his head/helmet was pointing at and then the ball shot to the right of that, I'm thinking he completely misfired the throw, that it must have slipped out of his hand, but wham, it goes right to Royal for a first down.

So, with the camera angles we get, it isn't always possible to tell how much better he is, but my early feeling is that he has improved quite a bit in this regard.

omac
09-20-2008, 09:01 PM

Actually, he hasn't been doing much of that this season. Sportscasters broke down some footage where they said he had the ability to look at one receiver on one side of the field, then immediately throw to another at the other side of the field. He's been much better at not staring down a receiver this season.

I also disagree that defenders know it's coming. The one for a 1st down to Stokley where he had to scoop it up; the deep one to Scheffler, none of them saw that coming. A lot of the ones to Marshall and Royal, they've been reacting, not anticipating, that's why they're so late most of the time.

What gives defenders problems is not just the fastball; 1st, there's the perfectly timed passes to Brandon and Royal, or whoever, actually. 2nd, his placement of the ball has been superb ... most of the time, he puts it where only his receivers can make a play at it. That's why in one game, when there was pressure coming to him and he had a receiver going towards the left side of the endzone, he had an incompleted pass going high and wide outside of his receiver; because where the defenders near him were, he didn't have the angle for a low, outside pass, so he went high outside ... though it would've been a verry difficult pass, the only one with a play on it was the receiver. 3rd, he has so many dangerous weapons who make plays happen, even with a poorly passed ball. In Marshall, Scheffler, Stokley, and Royal, he has guys who fight and hang onto the ball.