PDA

View Full Version : Brian Xanders: Broncos GM talks NFL Draft, defense and Champ Bailey

Denver Native (Carol)
01-21-2011, 04:06 PM
What differences have you already seen since the Broncos hired head coach John Fox? And you think the new collective bargaining agreement will be completed by the draft? (April 28-30)
— Brian, Las Vegas

Brian Xanders: I think there is a real positive energy and a collective mission here, with John Elway and Coach Fox in the building now.

We are working hard on putting the coaching staff together and working hard to get the best coaching staff possible in our building.

The next big step is to have our coaches meet with our scouting staff before the Senior Bowl (in Mobile, Ala. on Jan. 29). We will all meet together and have a game plan in place before we go down to Mobile.

As for the CBA, the league is working very hard on the CBA, and with the players union's help we hope to get it done as soon as possible.

Does the new Broncos leadership team believe in selecting the "best player available" when your first-round pick comes up, regardless of position, or will you draft based on team needs?

— Tim, Highlands Ranch

BX: Basically, it's the best player available who is the best fit for us. In the NFL Draft, what happens a lot of times is that you look for the best players available at a position of need. Mostly, I want fans to understand that the draft is vitally important to us on how we build this team into the future.

How big a priority is retaining Champ Bailey to the organization?
— Christine, Denver

BX: We know that Champ is a great, great player who has had a Hall of Fame career here. What I can say right now is that we will be meeting internally and discussing our defensive plan, and discussion how we will allocate our resources to build our defense.

Right after the Senior Bowl, we will work hard on a strategic defensive plan. We understand what it means to the fans in Bronco Nation to work on the big picture and tie this all together.

more questions and answers - http://www.denverpost.com/fanmail/ci_17149787

dogfish
01-21-2011, 04:26 PM
more questions and no answers - http://www.denverpost.com/fanmail/ci_17149787

fixed. . . ;)

TXBRONC
01-21-2011, 04:39 PM
fixed. . . ;)

Give him a chance Dog.

rcsodak
01-21-2011, 04:41 PM
Lol...I like your final comment, carol. True dat.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

TXBRONC
01-21-2011, 04:55 PM
Lol...I like your final comment, carol. True dat.

Do you mean the final comment in her quote?

rcsodak
01-21-2011, 05:02 PM
Do you mean the final comment in her quote?oops...guess it was doggy's.......

cuzz4169
01-21-2011, 11:23 PM
I don't really believe champ will be back....I really believe his asking price will be to high for a team that has so many holes to fill on defense.

BigSarge87
01-21-2011, 11:51 PM
Xanders replied to a lot of questions there without really saying anything of substance.

I realize he's got his own agenda to protect, but come on Xanders give us the goods! I about fell off my chair laughing when he tried to us what he does all day in the office. "Watch some tape, have some lunch, watch some more tape"

There was a pretty good post in the comments section below the article about laying up softballs for Xanders. I thought that was better than anything in the actual article.

cuzz4169
01-22-2011, 12:00 AM
When rebuilding a team or a defense its difficult to do it in one yr. As for champ if denver was competitive and was just a piece away you 100% resign him. But to give him a lot of money now is not the right thing to do for the orginization. Will he put the broncos over the top in 2011? Yes he will help but his money will take away from a lot of other pieces.

dogfish
01-22-2011, 12:05 AM
Xanders replied to a lot of questions there without really saying anything of substance.

I realize he's got his own agenda to protect, but come on Xanders give us the goods! I about fell off my chair laughing when he tried to us what he does all day in the office. "Watch some tape, have some lunch, watch some more tape"

"Well, I generally come in at least fifteen minutes late, ah, I use the side door - that way Elway can't see me, heh heh - and, uh, after that I just sorta space out for about an hour."

"Wha. . . Space out?"

"Yeah, I just pretend to watch film; but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch, too. I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work."

BigSarge87
01-22-2011, 12:12 AM
"Well, I generally come in at least fifteen minutes late, ah, I use the side door - that way Elway can't see me, heh heh - and, uh, after that I just sorta space out for about an hour."

"Wha. . . Space out?"

"Yeah, I just pretend to watch film; but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch, too. I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work."

ROFL! Classic comparison. Exactly the feeling I got!

bcbronc
01-22-2011, 12:26 AM

"Wha. . . Space out?"

to be fair, he does talk to coach again after practice...if he has to.

dogfish
01-22-2011, 12:28 AM
to be fair, he does talk to coach again after practice...if he has to.

does he physically take the playsheet to the the coaches?

TXBRONC
01-22-2011, 07:30 AM
I still don't think he's culpable as the McDaniels in what happened over the last two years.

Ravage!!!
01-22-2011, 11:13 AM
This is exactly what I expect. He can't give specifics, nor is it OUR business to know the specifics. He can't make a promise on Champ, even if he wants to. He can't say whats the "priority" when it comes to drafting and FA, because right now, those things are still up in the air as far as direction.

I can't believe someone actually asked him about the endzone paint job. How retarded is that?

cuzz4169
01-22-2011, 12:26 PM
Has any coach or anyone in the orginization ever say that signing champ is top priority for the broncos? Maybe I missed that...I would think if I was the GM I would make it known that resigning champ was top priority if I was gonna resign him. I have not been convinced by anyone that they really want to...all I hear is them say what a great player he has been.

Agent of Orange
01-22-2011, 12:41 PM
Has any coach or anyone in the orginization ever say that signing champ is top priority for the broncos? Maybe I missed that...I would think if I was the GM I would make it known that resigning champ was top priority if I was gonna resign him. I have not been convinced by anyone that they really want to...all I hear is them say what a great player he has been.

The fact that Woody said he'd been told Champ will be back doesn't count?

cuzz4169
01-22-2011, 01:05 PM
The fact that Woody said he'd been told Champ will be back doesn't count?

no not at all...never trust the media.

Northman
01-22-2011, 01:08 PM

Which is fine by me really. It all depends on what Champ's asking price is, if the organization feels its too much than they will have to cut ties with him. I love Champ just like the next guy but you cant hogtie your franchise by dumping a lot of money into one player when you need a lot of holes filled. God that sounds dirty doesnt it? :lol:

Agent of Orange
01-22-2011, 01:12 PM
no not at all...never trust the media.

I'm kind of going to listen to Woody for the time being. Sometimes execs communicate through the media for various reasons. In terms of this situation, they don't want there to be angst among the fan base but at the same time, they can't over commit because it is a negotiation and also becaue of the CBA uncertainty. But if Woody said he has it from an inside connection, I'll take him at his word knowing its a little tenuous. It seems Woody has fallen back in favor among the FO with this regime change. It also seems like since the FO is less about Joe Ellis and Josh McDaniels, Klis has been writing fewer stories for the DP (I could be wrong about that though). It seems like Woody is liked by Bowlen and Elway.

Agent of Orange
01-22-2011, 01:14 PM
Which is fine by me really. It all depends on what Champ's asking price is, if the organization feels its too much than they will have to cut ties with him. I love Champ just like the next guy but you cant hogtie your franchise by dumping a lot of money into one player when you need a lot of holes filled. God that sounds dirty doesnt it? :lol:

Except one of the main changes with the new CBA is supposed to be to allow re-signing guys like Champ. And Denver is in the bottom half of payroll as it is.

I'm dead on with you where the old CBA is concerned but I think there are a couple of things that should make it hurt a lot less to re-sign Champ.