PDA

View Full Version : Will Broncos coach Fox wait on Trgovac?

TXBRONC
01-21-2011, 09:04 AM
Will Broncos coach Fox wait on Trgovac?
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 01/21/2011 01:00:00 AM MST

With a major spot still open on his coaching staff, Broncos head coach John Fox may have to wait to talk to the candidate he knows best.

With Jim Mora having turned down the Broncos' offer to be the team's defensive coordinator, the Broncos are expected to watch Sunday's NFC championship game with interest. Packers defensive line coach Mike Trgovac is believed to be a strong contender for the job.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17153694

The more I hear about this guy the more I kind of hope that Fox will wait for this guy.

Dirk
01-21-2011, 09:06 AM
I'm with ya. I think he would be the best choice.

SOCALORADO.
01-21-2011, 09:12 AM
I am OK with either Mike Trgovac or Dennis Allen.
But i think Trgovac is Fox' guy, and hes just waiting until after the SB.

TXBRONC
01-21-2011, 09:14 AM
I am OK with either Mike Trgovac or Dennis Allen.
But i think Trgovac is Fox' guy, and hes just waiting until after the SB.

He wont have to wait if the Packers lose on Sunday.

dogfish
01-21-2011, 11:48 AM
this is good. . .

TXBRONC
01-21-2011, 11:49 AM
this is good. . .

If Fox hires this guy don't let go to your head. :tsk: :D

honz
01-21-2011, 12:09 PM
Wink got screwed by the organization IMO.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-21-2011, 12:20 PM
On the search for a defensive coordinator.

John is still looking. He’s in no hurry there. I think he feels comfortable no matter which direction he goes, but obviously he’s got some guys on his list that he really can’t talk about just yet. But it’s proceeding, and he’s happy with the staff, the way it’s come together. He’s really happy with the offensive side. I think with McCoy staying around and then Adam Gase going from wide receiver to quarterback, who’s a very good young coach that’s knowledgeable and been in several systems. So he’ll move to the quarterback position. We’ve got Magazu coming to the offensive line, a guy with a lot of experience. Then Tyke Tolbert who’s coming in at wide receivers from Carolina. I have not met him yet, but people think very highly of him. Then Eric will be back at RB, and then Clancy goes from O line to Tight End. The staff is really coming together; I think John has just been exploring different options at the defensive coordinator spot. He’s just going to take his time to make sure he gets the right guy.

http://www.877theticket.com/page.php?page_id=59

TXBRONC
01-21-2011, 12:33 PM
On the search for a defensive coordinator.

http://www.877theticket.com/page.php?page_id=59

If nothing else that strong impression that Fox is willing to waite for Trgovac.

dogfish
01-21-2011, 12:40 PM

the organization probably feels like he screwed them with his crappy defense. . .

honz
01-21-2011, 12:48 PM
Studesville for HC, McCoy for OC, Wink for DC, Priefer for ST's, and Ben McD for QB coach was my coaching dream for the Broncos.

dogfish
01-21-2011, 12:51 PM
Studesville for HC, McCoy for OC, Wink for DC, Priefer for ST's, and Ben McD for QB coach was my coaching dream for the Broncos.

your dream is passed out face down in the gutter, where it belongs. . . .

:D

and priefer is gone, honz, GONE!!

as in "ding dong, the witch is dead!"

and he's not coming back. . . ever!

amen

Denver Native (Carol)
01-21-2011, 01:17 PM
If nothing else that strong impression that Fox is willing to waite for Trgovac.

Either Trgovac, or someone else, on one of the 4 teams remaining.

TXBRONC
01-21-2011, 01:43 PM
Either Trgovac, or someone else, on one of the 4 teams remaining.

Possible, but given the fact that Trgovac was his defensive coordinator once before I would put my money on him.

UnderArmour
01-21-2011, 02:15 PM
We'll be able to interview him next week regardless of if the Packers win or not. With that said, we'll probably officially hire him next week after the media's favorite team and favorite QB gets their ass handed to them by Urlacher, Peppers, and the Bears Defense.

red98
01-21-2011, 02:54 PM
We'll be able to interview him next week regardless of if the Packers win or not. With that said, we'll probably officially hire him next week after the media's favorite team and favorite QB gets their ass handed to them by Urlacher, Peppers, and the Bears Defense.

No we won't. Assistants cannot be interviewed unless it is for HC in the weeks between the championships and the super bowl. It's not a matter of teams giving permission either, it just is not allowed.

I agree with the rest of your post though. :D

TXBRONC
01-21-2011, 04:42 PM
No we won't. Assistants cannot be interviewed unless it is for HC in the weeks between the championships and the super bowl. It's not a matter of teams giving permission either, it just is not allowed.

This part of the reason why I hope the Packers lose on Sunday.

rcsodak
01-21-2011, 04:57 PM
the organization probably feels like he screwed them with his crappy defense. . .1st yr,minus best player,constant additions, 20 difft starters, 14 difft groupings....
gimme a break.
Not too many 1st yr coord's shine with even pat rosters.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

TXBRONC
01-21-2011, 05:44 PM
1st yr,minus best player,constant additions, 20 difft starters, 14 difft groupings....
gimme a break.

It may not be fair but it's still his job to make it work.

There was thought before the start of camp that Dumervil wasn't that important to this defense.

rcsodak
01-21-2011, 10:28 PM
It may not be fair but it's still his job to make it work.

There was thought before the start of camp that Dumervil wasn't that important to this defense.

Really, Tx....you need to give it up. lol Just because Jr didn't appreciate the one-trick-pony that is Doom, he was still the only pass rusher the D had.

And against a few teams, he did "make it work".

honz
01-21-2011, 10:55 PM
Wink did not get a fair shake. Neither did Ben McD!!!

gobroncsnv
01-21-2011, 11:38 PM
LeBeau couldn't have done anything with the "cast of actors" we call a defensive roster... we have VERY little talent right now (Champ and Doom ain't enough, folks). In my opinion, Wink, Nolan, Coyer, Rhodes... long and dis-illustrious list of people who could sue Denver for non-support.

TXBRONC
01-22-2011, 12:06 AM
Wink did not get a fair shake. Neither did Ben McD!!!

It's a crying shame when nepotism isn't given an a chance to flourish. ;)

Denver Native (Carol)
01-22-2011, 11:00 AM
Green Bay Packers defensive line coach Mike Trgovac said publicly in Green Bay today he would listen to the Broncos if they wished to wait to interview him for Denver’s opening for defensive coordinator.

Trgovac can’t talk about Denver specifically because of league rules regarding assistant coaches who are under contract. The Broncos can’t ask permission to interview Trgovac until the Packers have played the NFC Championship Game Sunday.

full blog - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2011/01/21/packers-assistant-says-he-would-listen-to-broncos/6675/

gobroncsnv
01-22-2011, 11:22 AM
WhoEVER we hire, please get the man some talented X's to work with.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-22-2011, 11:45 AM
So if it is Trgovac, is there any immediate indication as to whether 3-4 or 4-3 is in the cards?

Agent of Orange
01-22-2011, 01:17 PM

I thought it had to be a promotion, and just not a lateral move.

gobroncsnv
01-22-2011, 01:20 PM
Going from position coach to DC would qualify as a promotion...

Agent of Orange
01-22-2011, 01:22 PM
Going from position coach to DC would qualify as a promotion...

Exactly. I thought that was the only sticking point. I didn't think it had to be to become a head coach.

nh_bronco
01-22-2011, 02:41 PM
The bye week interviewing applies only to HC candidates. (earlier post was accurate and factual). Trgovac become available ONLY if Green Bay loses. Hearing John Elway's interview lets me know Fox has a plan and is willing to wait for THE guy he wants. In related news, Eagles are also looking for DC but Philly media speculates that Andy Reid is waiting as well. They speculate about Babich (Chi), Moss (GB, i think) and Trgovac (GB) as potential DC in Philly.

I am wondering why there hasn't neen confirmation about Jim Skipper, Richard Smith or Mike Gilhammer being added to Bronco staff. I guess I should trust Elway & Fox. GO BRONCOS.

Northman
01-22-2011, 03:05 PM

Nah, he just sucked.

Northman
01-22-2011, 03:10 PM
1st yr,minus best player,constant additions, 20 difft starters, 14 difft groupings....
gimme a break.

You mean the one trick pony midget was a bigger factor than your initially thought? Say it aint so joe.

sneakers
01-22-2011, 07:08 PM
maybe fox can install some more vowels in his name...

Superchop 7
01-23-2011, 04:41 AM
We don't need no stinkin vowels.

Dzone
01-23-2011, 09:18 AM
Is this Gases first time coaching quarterbacks? He was a WR coach, hardly makes one think he is any kind of QB guru

Dzone
01-23-2011, 09:20 AM
Wink shouldnt have been chewing tobacco during games. That was unprofessional. It was gross. Just a bad image

TXBRONC
01-23-2011, 09:34 AM
Is this Gases first time coaching quarterbacks? He was a WR coach, hardly makes one think he is any kind of QB guru

I don't know if it's his first time or not. I do know that if it is everyone has to start no one jumps into job for the first time and knows everything there is to know. There are two things that easy my mind about Gase being the quarterbacks coach even if has never do it before. First, McCoy is going to have a huge role in the development of our quarterbacks and he has been a quarteback's coach before. Second, Gase can obviously teach, look at what he did with receiving corps. Developing wide receivers is almost as difficult as developing quarterbacks.

honz
01-23-2011, 11:51 AM
Wink shouldnt have been chewing tobacco during games. That was unprofessional. It was gross. Just a bad image
He chewed tobacco during games? Gross! I had no idea. Nevermind then, he should be fired. He is a GREAT coach, but a disgrace to the organization.

nevcraw
01-23-2011, 12:39 PM

oh boy

dogfish
01-23-2011, 01:26 PM

it would look tougher if he chewed nails. . . .

spikerman
01-23-2011, 04:33 PM
In response to the thread title: After watching what the GB DL is doing today, I sure as heck hope so!

TXBRONC
01-24-2011, 09:00 AM
I'm with ya. I think he would be the best choice.

Now we'll have to wait for another two weeks before they can even interview him.

BroncoJoe
01-24-2011, 09:01 AM
Now we'll have to wait for another two weeks before they can even interview him.

They're allowed to talk during the next week.

TXBRONC
01-24-2011, 09:10 AM

I thought the rule was that postion coaches couldn't be interview unless it was for a head coaching gig. If Denver can then get him in a.s.a.p.

red98
01-24-2011, 10:00 AM

They're not allowed Joe. We have to wait until after the SB.

hotcarl
01-24-2011, 11:34 AM
They're not allowed Joe. We have to wait until after the SB.

no you dont, they can talk to him now. you are wrong

TXBRONC
01-24-2011, 12:04 PM

Be quiet Carl. :D

red98
01-24-2011, 12:12 PM

Carl you make my ass twitch.

:welcome:

TXBRONC
01-24-2011, 12:14 PM
Carl you make my ass twitch.

:welcome:

This is way more information than I needed.

DenBronx
01-24-2011, 01:32 PM

I think he can interview as long as GB gives teams permission. It will be a long two weeks so I'm wondering if Denver can squeeze in an interview.

If not I think we should wait. Well worth it because GB's defense is sick. He has learned under Capers so we might as well cherry pick from proven teams.

DenBronx
01-24-2011, 01:35 PM
I thought the rule was that postion coaches couldn't be interview unless it was for a head coaching gig. If Denver can then get him in a.s.a.p.

I think if it's if they are under contract and it's still during the season they will need permission. Most teams that don't allow their staff to interview are frowned upon in the league.

But under the circumstances of winning a superbowl I think everyone would understand if Trgovac doesn't want to interview until after.

dogfish
01-24-2011, 01:35 PM
given that we haven't been very active in our pursuit of other DCs, i think it's pretty safe at this point to assume that we are indeed interested in someone that's still coaching-- and trgovac would seem like the logical candidate. . .

Slick
01-24-2011, 01:54 PM
given that we haven't been very active in our pursuit of other DCs, i think it's pretty safe at this point to assume that we are indeed interested in someone that's still coaching-- and trgovac would seem like the logical candidate. . .

I agree.

What about LeBeau? Obviously he wouldn't come, but does he have a right hand man worth a shit?

DenBronx
01-24-2011, 02:06 PM
I agree.

What about LeBeau? Obviously he wouldn't come, but does he have a right hand man worth a shit?

I think we should be looking at Balt, Pitt and GB. These are the teams we should model our defense after....maybe even SD.

This came out today and it looks like the Steelers wont let LeBeau go.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/24/paolantonio-says-lebeau-will-definitely-be-back-in-pittsburgh-next-season/

red98
01-24-2011, 02:12 PM
I think if it's if they are under contract and it's still during the season they will need permission. Most teams that don't allow their staff to interview are frowned upon in the league.

But under the circumstances of winning a superbowl I think everyone would understand if Trgovac doesn't want to interview until after.

He can't be interviewed until after the SB. At that point GB can grant permission for an interview if they want.

For a nice explanation of this rule, see the article that is the topic of this thread.

DenBronx
01-24-2011, 02:15 PM
He can't be interviewed until after the SB. At that point GB can grant permission for an interview if they want.

For a nice explanation of this rule, see the article that is the topic of this thread.

Then maybe the rule only apllies if a staff member is interviewing for a HC job and not DC.

Regardless, I don't see the point in not waiting 2 weeks. If there is anything we need to get right it's the DC job.

TXBRONC
01-24-2011, 02:17 PM
I think he can interview as long as GB gives teams permission. It will be a long two weeks so I'm wondering if Denver can squeeze in an interview.

If not I think we should wait. Well worth it because GB's defense is sick. He has learned under Capers so we might as well cherry pick from proven teams.

Whether Denver can or can't interview him now doesn't really matter because I think Dog has it nailed. We're not pursuing other candidates very hard so Trgovac is probably the guy he wants to be his defensive coordinator.

red98
01-24-2011, 02:25 PM
Then maybe the rule only apllies if a staff member is interviewing for a HC job and not DC.

Regardless, I don't see the point in not waiting 2 weeks. If there is anything we need to get right it's the DC job.

That's correct. Even then it can only be for a second interview.

I'm with you on it being worth it to wait. It's a good sign that we're not really hearing much about other candidates. I think he's our guy and that sounds great to me!

I only wish Chicago had won so he'd be here for the senior bowl and also cause I hate waiting.

Slick
01-24-2011, 02:33 PM
I think we should be looking at Balt, Pitt and GB. These are the teams we should model our defense after....maybe even SD.

This came out today and it looks like the Steelers wont let LeBeau go.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/24/paolantonio-says-lebeau-will-definitely-be-back-in-pittsburgh-next-season/

Thanks.

No way a 73 year old man who has chances to win rings until he retires is going to want to come fix this mess, obviously, and if he's been grooming the linebacker coach, Butler to take his place, i doubt Butler wants to go anywhere either. He knows the Steelers front office will keep him stocked with talent on the defensive side of the football for eternity.

Oh well. It was a thought.

G_Money
01-24-2011, 02:43 PM
I've wanted Trgovac since we found out Fox was the guy. He was around for all of Fox's really good defenses, works well with him, understands the DL as well as anyone and should have learned a lot at the feet of one of the best DCs of the last 30 years in Capers.

Capers and LeBeau are two of the giants of their field - and Capers MENTORED LeBeau in Pittsburgh all those years ago. LeBeau was pretty mediocre in Cincy, then hooked up for a few years with Capers and began running amazing defenses shortly afterward.

Here's hoping 2 years with Capers can give Trgovac some even better ideas for his defenses here.

I don't mind waiting for him in the slightest. In fact, I'd prefer it. If Fox knows he can get him, then by all means WAIT.

~G

JDL
01-24-2011, 05:08 PM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2011/01/20/broncos-will-have-to-wait-to-talk-to-packers-assistant/6660/?source=ARK_broncos

With Jim Mora having said no to the job, Trgovac moves to the forefront having been John Fox’s defensive coordinator in Carolina for six seasons. However, league rules prohibit any assistant coach under contract and who has not been dismissed, from interviewing with another team.

The Broncos can’t even formally request permission to speak to an assistant coach who is still on the job with another team until that team is done playing. So, if the Packers win in Chicago Sunday, the Broncos would have to wait two weeks to talk to Trgovac about the job.

TXBRONC
01-24-2011, 08:02 PM
Thanks.

No way a 73 year old man who has chances to win rings until he retires is going to want to come fix this mess, obviously, and if he's been grooming the linebacker coach, Butler to take his place, i doubt Butler wants to go anywhere either. He knows the Steelers front office will keep him stocked with talent on the defensive side of the football for eternity.

Oh well. It was a thought.

LeBeau would be nice but it doesn't bother me that he wouldn't come here.

nevcraw
01-24-2011, 08:39 PM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2011/01/20/broncos-will-have-to-wait-to-talk-to-packers-assistant/6660/?source=ARK_broncos

With Jim Mora having said no to the job, Trgovac moves to the forefront having been John Fox’s defensive coordinator in Carolina for six seasons. However, league rules prohibit any assistant coach under contract and who has not been dismissed, from interviewing with another team.

The Broncos can’t even formally request permission to speak to an assistant coach who is still on the job with another team until that team is done playing. So, if the Packers win in Chicago Sunday, the Broncos would have to wait two weeks to talk to Trgovac about the job.

oooohh -- so what you're saying is -- they will have to wait to talk to Trgovac.

Rick
01-24-2011, 08:44 PM
I am ok with waiting 2 weeks.

Biggest issue on this team is defense, if we have to wait 2 weeks to make sure we have the best group of defensive minds we can get then so be it.

spikerman
01-24-2011, 09:03 PM
I really hope Denver gets him. I wouldn't expect him to come in here and all of a sudden the Broncos' defense is "lights out". I know that a lot of it has to do with the players' abilities and Denver has nowhere near the talent that GB has. What I did notice, though, was that his defensive linemen were in position to make plays the entire game. They didn't lose their responsibilities and because of that they were able to consistently snuff out screens and misdirections. That is a sign of good coaching.

Playing disciplined defense can help offset the lack of talent until the front office can bring some new guys in.

dogfish
01-24-2011, 09:14 PM
just thought of something. . .

cullen jenkins is going to be a free agent-- and trgovac is his position coach. . .

:shocked:

okay, probably not. . . sure is a sweet thought, though. . . that dude is a friggin' monster. . .

TXBRONC
01-24-2011, 09:15 PM
oooohh -- so what you're saying is -- they will have to wait to talk to Trgovac.

Nothing gets by you Nev. :lol:

TXBRONC
01-24-2011, 09:16 PM
just thought of something. . .

cullen jenkins is going to be a free agent-- and trgovac is his position coach. . .

:shocked:

okay, probably not. . . sure is a sweet thought, though. . . that dude is a friggin' monster. . .

He's a nose tackle right?

dogfish
01-24-2011, 09:26 PM
He's a nose tackle right?

he's a five-technique DE in their base scheme-- played three-technique when they were a 40 front a few years ago. . . he is big enough and stout enough to play some snaps at nose, but he's not ideally suited to it-- and it would be a waste of his movement skills to play him there. . .

we'll see about suh, but i tend to think jenkins is currently the most disruptive 300+ pounder in the league. . . you just don't find guys that can consistently pressure the QB from the five-tech-- even in a league of monsters his combination of raw size, power and cat quickness is extremely rare. . .

great pickup for either defensive front, and he brings a ton of added value as a nickel rusher. . . i'd be shocked if they let him go, although you never know for sure with ted thompson. . .

JDL
01-24-2011, 10:49 PM

Quite Observant! :rolleyes:

Which clears up a nasty point of contention in the thread.

dogfish
01-25-2011, 02:57 AM
looks like we can close the book on this one. . .

TXBRONC
01-25-2011, 10:43 AM
looks like we can close the book on this one. . .

Maybe this won't be a bad thing.