PDA

View Full Version : Q&A With Mike McCoy

Denver Native (Carol)
01-20-2011, 07:57 PM
Many interesting things on here - read full article at: http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/QA-With-Mike-McCoy/bbf4f590-4bd4-4844-8b90-745b3e79a40b

Offensive Coordinator Mike McCoy spoke with DenverBroncos.com about reuniting with Head Coach John Fox and building on his play-calling experience from last season.

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- For Mike McCoy, 2011 will mark his third season as offensive coordinator for the Broncos -- and eighth working under new Head Coach John Fox.

In Carolina, McCoy worked under Fox for seven seasons in a variety of offensive roles with the Panthers before joining the Broncos in 2009. He assumed primary play-calling duties for the first time in his career at the end of last season, leading Denver to an average of 22 points per game in four contests.

Entering his 12th NFL season, McCoy has overseen six 3,000-yard passing seasons from his quarterbacks, including four from Carolina's Jake Delhomme and two from Kyle Orton. In 2010, Orton ranked fourth in the NFL with 281 passing yards per game, and Tim Tebow, who started the team's final three games, recorded the highest passer rating (82.1) of the NFL’s eight rookie starting quarterbacks.

McCoy spoke with DenverBroncos.com about working with Fox and looking toward next season.

Are you excited to be reunited with John Fox?
"It's a great opportunity to get back together with him. That's a big reason why I'm still here."

What went into your decision to stay in Denver?
"There were a couple other teams that were very interested in bringing me in, in the same role that I have now. I talked with Coach Fox a couple days before he was actually coming here, when I knew he was coming in for the interview, and then of course he got delayed because of the snow. That doesn't happen very often in Carolina. So that kind of stirred some things up, and our communication went on for a couple of days. I was trying to help him prepare for everything and give him some tips on what was happening here and my opinion on where I was going. Then when he got the job, it was just an opportunity to say, 'What do we want to do? Do we want to move the family? Do we want to stay here?' We always said we wanted to be here as long as possible, so it was a great opportunity for us to stay."

dogfish
01-20-2011, 08:42 PM
good, we needed more info on this guy. . .

now maybe elway can stop calling him "mark mccoy". . .

Denver Native (Carol)
01-20-2011, 08:44 PM
good, we needed more info on this guy. . .

now maybe elway can stop calling him "mark mccoy". . .

:confused: I think you meant "mark - errrr Mike Mularkey" :D

dogfish
01-20-2011, 08:46 PM

yea, i get those two confused. . .

so does john. . . :D

T.K.O.
01-20-2011, 09:07 PM
i kind of like the idea of keeping the offense somewhat intact.there will be big changes...AGAIN... on D,so leaving the offense to build on what has been started allows more focus on rebuilding the defensive side of the team.
i think that is a good thing.
if the D can keep most teams hovering at the 20 point range,we will have a chance at a much improved record next year:salute:

TXBRONC
01-20-2011, 11:26 PM

I think it's all just a bunch of mularkey anyway.