PDA

View Full Version : Woody's Mailbag:

TXBRONC
01-20-2011, 09:49 AM
Woody's Mailbag: Dissecting the Broncos' John Fox hiring, and a few predictions
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
Posted: 01/20/2011 01:

Why the big rush to sign John Fox as head coach for the Broncos? Why not bring two or three additional candidates (Rick Dennison!) back for a second round of interviews? Or wait for candidates to emerge from the playoff teams? Surely John Fox wouldn't object to that, and it's not like there are a whole lot of other teams with a head coaching vacancy beating down his door. Why the rush job?
— Chris, Castle Rock

Chris, I would have waited to see how the postseason played out, at least until after this weekend's games, but you and I aren't in charge.

I would guess the only real candidate out of that bunch, though, would have been Dom Capers, defensive coordinator of the Bears. He has been the coach of two expansion teams and did a good job of building those franchises early before they maxed out on him, and people grew weary of his ways. He is considered one of the best coordinators in the game, particularly of late with his amazing variety of defenses (2-4-5 on about 20 percent of the plays) and the aggressive rush from his linebackers.

Obviously, the early candidates didn't impress the Broncos enough to hold a second round of interviews, and they found the guy they wanted, according to what Elway told me the night he finished making the deal with Fox, that he overwhelmed them, particularly during dinner when they were in a relaxed situation and just talking football.

I've known Fox since he took the Panthers to the Super Bowl, and he is a guy you'd drink a beer with and feel comfortable with; has a wealth of knowledge about the NFL; has a long, illustrious background in the league; and did turn around the Panthers.

Truth is, the Panthers' owner bailed out on him and the team after the 2008 season (when they made it to the NFC championship game. They cut about $50 million in salaries in two years (letting Julius Peppers go, for instance), and the draft, which Fox wasn't in charge of, went to the toilet. They traded a high draft choice last year, ended up with Jimmy Clausen, another project with their second pick and a quarterback that had to be converted to wide receiver.

He's a quality coach. I like the choice. He already had another excellent job lined up if the Broncos didn't hire him, so they felt they had to make the move immediately. Elway had told me beforehand if they found the right guy they'd stop the process, and they weren't overwhelmed by Dennison or the other guys. That's the whole story.

http://www.denverpost.com/woodysmailbag/ci_17140583

Fire away.

Montana Battlin Bear
01-20-2011, 10:44 AM
does he mean DC of the packers?

TXBRONC
01-20-2011, 11:43 AM
does he mean DC of the packers?

I think so.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-20-2011, 12:38 PM
Also from Woody's mailbag:

Any chance John Fox will push for Champ Bailey to be re-signed? Also, with Fox on board and assuming Champ and Elvis Dumervil are at full strength and they get possibly Nick Fairley from the draft (I know all three are big "ifs"), how good will our defense be?
— Remy, Miami

Remy: Fox and Elway have been tap-dancing around Champ. A lot hinges on the collective bargaining agreement. But I have it on good authority that Champ, who wants to come back, will be signed to a four-year deal, think $42 million, or will be designated franchise player for next season.

http://www.denverpost.com/commented/ci_17140583?source=commented-#ixzz1Bb1gSkGr

TXBRONC
01-20-2011, 12:53 PM
Also from Woody's mailbag:

http://www.denverpost.com/commented/ci_17140583?source=commented-#ixzz1Bb1gSkGr

I do hope they can get it all ironed out with Champ and still take care of issue of the front seven.

BroncoStud
01-20-2011, 01:09 PM
Designate him the FP, then negotiate next season.