PDA

View Full Version : Josh Howard Trashes National Anthem

Denver Native (Carol)
09-18-2008, 04:44 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,424662,00.html

Dallas Mavericks' Josh Howard Trashes National Anthem in YouTube Video

DALLAS — The battered reputation of Josh Howard took another hit this week when an online video surfaced showing the Dallas Mavericks forward disrespecting the national anthem.

In a video posted on YouTube, Howard is shown on a football field at a charity flag football game. As the national anthem plays in the background, Howard approaches a camera and says: "'The Star Spangled Banner' is going on right now. I don't even celebrate that (expletive). I'm black."

Howard's agent, Jeff Schwartz, did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment. Donnie Nelson, the Mavericks' president of basketball operations, directed questions to team owner Mark Cuban, who in an e-mail declined to comment.

Click here to watch the video.

The incident is the latest off-court problem for Howard, a fifth-year pro from Wake Forest who averaged 19.9 points and seven rebounds last season. He was arrested in July when police said he was drag racing at 94 mph in a 55 zone. A court appearance was scheduled for next week.

Howard was criticized last season for saying in a radio interview during a first-round playoff series against New Orleans that he occasionally smokes marijuana. Later that same series, he angered coach Avery Johnson by throwing himself a birthday bash after a Game 4 loss to the Hornets.

turftoad
09-18-2008, 05:31 PM
Howard is another piece of work. POS rather.

GEM
09-18-2008, 05:57 PM
Never heard of the guy. He any good?

MOtorboat
09-18-2008, 06:09 PM

Yes...he's a pretty good player.

But he's a complete idiot. He openly admitted to smoking weed in the offseason during an interview last year...not a smart thing to do.

He's a thug. (Sorry DC and Coach)

GEM
09-18-2008, 07:24 PM
Yes...he's a pretty good player.

But he's a complete idiot. He openly admitted to smoking weed in the offseason during an interview last year...not a smart thing to do.

He's a thug. (Sorry DC and Coach)

I wonder if he can make millions playing basketball somewhere where he feels a little more proud of the national anthem? :confused: How much is Kenya or Europe paying basketball players these days?

MOtorboat
09-18-2008, 07:25 PM
I wonder if he can make millions playing basketball somewhere where he feels a little more proud of the national anthem? :confused: How much is Kenya or Europe paying basketball players these days?

You'd be surprised...

CoachChaz
09-19-2008, 03:30 PM
Josh isn't a thug, he's really just an idiot. If he could simply learn to keep his mouth shut, he'd be fine. It seems like every 6 months, he says or does something stupid. He's the Brandon Marshall of the NBA

Broncolingus
09-19-2008, 03:35 PM
I'm not sure I understand what being 'black' has to do with respecting the National Anthem?

Seem's like saying, "I don't like apples because the sky is blue."

...or is it about the America vs. Muslim thing, or slavery, or what?

I dont get it?

DallasChief
09-19-2008, 04:16 PM
Josh isn't a thug, he's really just an idiot. If he could simply learn to keep his mouth shut, he'd be fine. It seems like every 6 months, he says or does something stupid. He's the Brandon Marshall of the NBA

Yeah, he says some stoopid things but I would never consider him a "thug".

honz
09-19-2008, 04:36 PM
I'm not sure I understand what being 'black' has to do with respecting the National Anthem?

Seem's like saying, "I don't like apples because the sky is blue."

...or is it about the America vs. Muslim thing, or slavery, or what?

I dont get it?
It's probably the slavery/racism in America's history, but it is still a stupid thing to say.

Broncolingus
09-19-2008, 04:38 PM
It's probably the slavery/racism in America's history, but it is still a stupid thing to say.

Probably right...yup, stupid people keep that kinda stuff going.

Amazing...

Northman
09-19-2008, 04:43 PM

Yea, but he is definitely a piece of you know what. Wake Forest is my second favorite college next to UVA and if my memory serves me well he transferred from WF to Arizona and left them hanging. :tsk:

DallasChief
09-20-2008, 11:03 AM
Yea, but he is definitely a piece of you know what. Wake Forest is my second favorite college next to UVA and if my memory serves me well he transferred from WF to Arizona and left them hanging. :tsk:

Your memory is not serving you well.

Josh played 4 years at Wake and was the ACC Player of the Year his senior year.

Northman
09-20-2008, 11:20 AM
Your memory is not serving you well.

Josh played 4 years at Wake and was the ACC Player of the Year his senior year.

Must of been another player im thinking of then.

CoachChaz
09-20-2008, 11:39 AM
Nevertheless, he's an idiot. Wont surprise me if the annual trade offers for his services start looking more attractive to the front office.

Benetto
09-20-2008, 04:29 PM
I watched the whole un-cut video...I saw about maybe 3-4 white folks in the entire stadium. So why were they even bothering to sing the National Anthem if "Black people don't celebrate that shit"...

Doom crew72
09-23-2008, 03:59 PM
Good player, just not a lot going on up stairs.

Shep
09-23-2008, 04:06 PM
Nevertheless, he's an idiot. Wont surprise me if the annual trade offers for his services start looking more attractive to the front office.

You think Cuban will actually care? He seems to be pretty liberal in dealing with players.

CoachChaz
09-24-2008, 09:17 AM
You think Cuban will actually care? He seems to be pretty liberal in dealing with players.

Liberal ********!!!

One thing about Cuban is when he has to get involved to deal with a problem that tarnishes his team (as if he doesn't do it enough himself), he typically takes care of the problem. I'm not saying he'll actively seek a trade for Howard, but I think some of the offers he's seen over the past 2 years will be more attractive if it means not babysitting a player.

Shep
09-24-2008, 10:32 AM
Liberal ********!!!

One thing about Cuban is when he has to get involved to deal with a problem that tarnishes his team (as if he doesn't do it enough himself), he typically takes care of the problem. I'm not saying he'll actively seek a trade for Howard, but I think some of the offers he's seen over the past 2 years will be more attractive if it means not babysitting a player.

Yeah I know Cuban is a stauch Lib. But my question was sincere. I know he treats his players well, just didn't know how he deals with this sort of thing.

CoachChaz
09-24-2008, 03:03 PM
Yeah I know Cuban is a stauch Lib. But my question was sincere. I know he treats his players well, just didn't know how he deals with this sort of thing.

He'll defend a player until a player cant be defended. Then he'll ask him to shut up. Then he'll take care of it himself.

I know he's already had Howard on his shitlist and this has to add to it.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-29-2008, 08:33 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3616999

DALLAS -- Dallas Mavericks forward Josh Howard took a first step toward repairing his damaged reputation Monday, saying he was sorry for disrespecting the national anthem.

"I'd like to say that I'm truly and really am sorry for everything that's happened in the last five months," Howard said in a statement before taking questions from reporters on the first day of Mavericks training camp. "This is not the way I carry myself, not how I want to be portrayed. I'm sorry to everybody I've offended. I'm upset with myself and the way I've acted."

In a video posted recently on YouTube, Howard was shown at a charity flag football game. As the national anthem plays in the background, Howard approaches a camera and says: "'The Star Spangled Banner' is going on right now. I don't even celebrate that [expletive]. I'm black."

The video, which was widely viewed on the Internet, prompted blistering criticisms, including some racially charged e-mails that owner Mark Cuban posted on his blog.

In his first public appearance since the video was posted, Howard said he loves his country.

"It was me joking around," he said. "Guys were out there making fun and I decided to get along in it. I wasn't using my head. I guess the valuable lesson I did learn is that words really do hurt. You're held accountable for what you say.

"That's not me. ... I went to military school. I have friends that served in the military. I know how it is to wake up and salute the flag. The national anthem every game, I have my hand over my heart."

Howard had another off-court incident during the off-season when he was arrested in July after police said he was drag racing at 94 mph in a 55 mph zone.

He said he knows that there will be some fan backlash about his troubled summer.

"I'll try to win them back," he said. "Whatever it takes me to do that, I'll do it."

Howard also was criticized last season for saying in a radio interview during a first-round playoff series against New Orleans that he occasionally smokes marijuana. Later that same series, he angered coach Avery Johnson by throwing himself a birthday party after a Game 4 loss to the Hornets.

"It was a rough summer for him, but I believe in his heart he's a good guy," teammate Dirk Nowitzki said. "He just made some bad decisions."

Howard said another mistake he made was not addressing the national anthem controversy when it first surfaced.

"I didn't do anything to correct it. I let a lot of stuff go," he said. "It wasn't me. I'm trying to move forward. This [the press conference] is the perfect opportunity. Everybody's here. There's nothing to hide. I made a mistake. I'm ready to move forward."

Rick Carlisle, who was hired as Mavericks coach after Johnson was fired following Dallas' first-round playoff exit, visited Howard at his North Carolina home during the summer. Carlisle expects a strong season from Howard.

"I know he's going to be motivated both on the floor and in terms of how he represents this franchise," Carlisle said.

Howard, who enters his sixth NBA season, averaged 19.9 points and seven rebounds last season.

Shep
09-30-2008, 10:03 AM
Well I'll hand it to him. At least the statement doesn't sound like his agent wrote it. He's going to be a very uncomforatable guy prior to every game during the Anthem, knowing the cameras will be watching him.

BroncoNut
09-30-2008, 10:06 AM
Must of been another player im thinking of then.

No, I think you were just flat out wrong