PDA

View Full Version : Roger Goodell: 'Not enough communication' in NFL CBA talks

Denver Native (Carol)
01-19-2011, 03:42 PM
NFL commissioner Roger Goodell continued to bemoan the pace of labor negotiations with the players' union on Tuesday as the NFLPA confirmed it filed a collusion claim against the league.

With the expiration of the current collective bargaining agreement approaching in early March and a potential work stoppage looming, Goodell reiterated his complaint that the two sides aren't talking often enough.

"There is not enough communication," Goodell said. The last formal negotiating session between the league and union occurred prior to Thanksgiving.

The NFLPA filed a collusion claim with special master Stephen Burbank in which it alleged wrongdoing by owners in the most recent free-agent class.

NFL lawyer Bob Batterman said last week that the union was more interested in legal and political avenues to achieve a labor resolution than in negotiating. Goodell said on Tuesday he would not stand for anything other than a deal reached at the bargaining table.

"This is not going to get resolved through litigation," he said. "It will get resolved through negotiation."

full article - http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/01/roger-goodell-not-enough-communication-in-nfl-cba-talks/1

Denver Native (Carol)
01-19-2011, 03:49 PM
WASHINGTON -- NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and union executive director DeMaurice Smith spoke face to face in New York on Wednesday, while more than a dozen current or former players were on Capitol Hill for face time with lawmakers and congressional staffers.

Union spokesman George Atallah characterized Wednesday's session between Goodell and Smith as "an effort to advance the bargaining," rather than a formal negotiating session toward a new labor contract. Atallah would not discuss the substance of the meeting in any detail.

Before players dropped by his office, Rep. Lamar Smith, a Texas Republican who is the chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, released a statement making it clear he doesn't think lawmakers should get involved with the NFL labor talks.

"That is a business dispute," the statement said. "The owners and players are both literally and figuratively big boys and do not need Congress to referee every dispute for them."

full article - http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6037260

BroncoStud
01-19-2011, 04:02 PM
They'll get it done. He's too smart to allow the NFL to lose BILLIONS in revenue.

slim
01-19-2011, 04:14 PM
They'll get it done. He's too smart to allow the NFL to lose BILLIONS in revenue.

But they need to get it done ASAP.

This offseason is too important for Denver and I don't want the team getting screwed because of this crap.

MadMax
01-19-2011, 05:42 PM
According to PFT this is supposedly part of a scheme by the NFL to force the players to strike instead of the NFL locking them out.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/18/league-may-be-setting-up-the-union-for-a-surprise/

Last year, lawyer David Cornwell was the first to suggest that the NFL’s plan won’t be to launch a work stoppage. Instead, Cornwell explained that the league will declare an impasse in the talks and impose on the players the terms of the last, best offer made by management. The players, who have been accusing the NFL of trying to take football away from the fans, would then have to decide whether to accept the rules or to go on strike, which would amount to the players taking football away from the fans.

sneakers
01-19-2011, 05:56 PM
Yay! no football next year!

Cugel
01-19-2011, 09:50 PM
NFL lawyer Bob Batterman said last week that the union was more interested in legal and political avenues to achieve a labor resolution than in negotiating. Goodell said on Tuesday he would not stand for anything other than a deal reached at the bargaining table.

"This is not going to get resolved through litigation," he said. "It will get resolved through negotiation."

Actually, the players know that the ONLY way this will ever get resolved is through litigation. The owners have ZERO interest in Negotiating anything the players will ever accept. And everybody knows it.

We have a bunch of greedy scumbag BILLIONAIRES complaining about "revenues" while their league revenues shot up once again and the values of teams like the Broncos have increased from less than $80 million when Pat Bowlen bought the team to over $1.1 BILLION today according to Forbes Magazine. :rolleyes:

The posturing of the owners and their claims of poverty is rather like Queen Marie Antoinette playing at being a milk-maid in the Petit Trianon at the Versailles Palace. :coffee:

Cugel
01-19-2011, 09:57 PM
Before the NFL can implement its last, best, pre-impasse offer, there has to be an impasse. And it’s starting to look like the owners will soon be able to declare that an impasse exists.

But the impasse, if it’s coming, won’t arise from a disagreement as to the substance of the talks. It will arise from the persistent inability of the two sides to agree to engage in meaningful talks on the real issues that need to be resolved.

That’s possibly why NFL General Counsel Jeff Pash spent time at his Tuesday press conference, held in conjunction with the ownership meeting in Atlanta, to talk about the lack of meetings between the NFL and the union.

Though much can happen between now and March 4, the league seems to be doing a nice job of laying the foundation to declare an impasse and to impose on March 4 the exact opposite of a lockout.

In short the league has ZERO interest in actually negotiating a deal. They are simply posturing in order to "prove" that the players are striking, thereby "taking football away from the fans" so a bunch of idiot fans will blame the players instead of the greedy owners.

I suppose there are plenty of morons dumb enough to believe them too, so it'll probably work.

The legal question then will be whether the NFLPA will be able to de-certify quickly enough to prevent the NFL from declaring an impasse and unilaterally imposing a new (much lower) salary cap and an 18 game season and then seek a quick injunction in court.

It's looking more and more like the league is going to write off the 2011 season. No Super-bowl in 2012. Either that or they'll try and play all the games with Arena League and Canadian Football League rejects. :coffee:

So, instead of Tebow, we get to see some scrub nobody ever heard of at QB for the Broncos? And we're supposed to be fine with that? :coffee:

silkamilkamonico
01-19-2011, 10:15 PM
The owners just think they should be getting more profit then what they are. They are seeing the sport grow substantially while making minimal profits. While league revenues are increasing, so are player salaries, so are coaching salaries, so is maintenance to fund more and more expensive equipment. Hell stadium costs are continuing to increase significantly on a year to year basis. The owners are making multi millions and spending multi millions to fund operations.

Benetto
01-19-2011, 11:03 PM
So all the owners are "greedy scumbags" for wanting to profit from THEIR investments...While rookie prospects getting mega millions in guarantees, when they haven't even worked one day for their new boss. BS...

If I'm going to go out and buy a business..Any business at that...I EXPECT to collect my fair profit, since I have invested SOOOO much into it.. If my greedy employees don't like it, they can do 3 things...

1- agree they are getting paid fairly, shut the f-up, and keep coming to work for the contract and salary they signed for.

2 - Find new jobs if they don't like me (the owners) and the contract they signed.

3 - Go on strike, lose all of your pay, and watch me (the owner) still get paid with or without them.

Players and NFLPA...When you can afford to break the bank and buy an NFL team of your own...With all the costs and salaries you have to distribute, then you will know how ridiculous this is.

Im tired of all these young DUMB rich athletes, still wanting more and more money...

silkamilkamonico
01-19-2011, 11:05 PM
So all the owners are "greedy scumbags" for wanting to profit from THEIR investments...While rookie prospects getting mega millions in guarantees, when they haven't even worked one day for their new boss. BS...

If I'm going to go out and buy a business..Any business at that...I EXPECT to collect my fair profit, since I have invested SOOOO much into it.. If my greedy employees don't like it, they can do 3 things...

1- agree they are getting paid fairly, shut the f-up, and keep coming to work for the contract and salary they signed for.

2 - Find new jobs if they don't like me (the owners) and the contract they signed.

3 - Go on strike, lose all of your pay, and still watch me (the owner) still get paid with or without them.

Players and NFLPA...When you can afford to break the bank and buy an NFL team of your own...With all the costs and salaries you have to distribute, then will ANY of you actually know how ridiculous this is.

Im tired of all these young DUMB rich athletes, still wanting more and more money...

Exactly. When things go wrong, or bad decisions are made, or a fabric of continuity comes out of hand, the organization, and the owners are the ones that lose money and suffer the consequences. Not that players.

BeefStew25
01-19-2011, 11:09 PM
Tags did a bad deal last time around. Everyone knows it. That is why the union doesn't want a single change.

MadMax
01-19-2011, 11:49 PM
Anybody interested should check out this article from forbes:
http://blogs.forbes.com/sportsmoney/2011/01/10/numbers-show-nfls-economic-realities-for-lockout-unwarranted/

It breaks down what we know about NFL revenues and makes a pretty good case that the owners are full of BS.

It also shows this nifty breakdown:

Have rookie wages grown?

Actually, the amount of rookie share of the salary cap has decreased since 1994:

* 1994 (first capped year) – 6.86%
* 1999 – 5.41%
* 2003 – 4.94%
* 2009 (last capped year) – 3.71%.

Benetto
01-20-2011, 12:05 AM
Anybody interested should check out this article from forbes:
http://blogs.forbes.com/sportsmoney/2011/01/10/numbers-show-nfls-economic-realities-for-lockout-unwarranted/

It breaks down what we know about NFL revenues and makes a pretty good case that the owners are full of BS.

It also shows this nifty breakdown:

Okay..Let me get this straight...

So since the NFL is making more money, and the owners are profiting from their investments....They should give bigger, and more inflated salaries and benefits?

Owners earned their money, and bought a business....Just because the business is growing with success they should throw around their profits to the players...Who already have lucrative CONTRACTS...

Yeah, the owners are full of BS for depositing THEIR earnings into THEIR bank accounts, instead of being "generous" and paying already rich employees, more money for doing their JOBBBB!

BroncoStud
01-20-2011, 12:25 AM
The players need to remember that they don't get paid unless there are games and revenue. The owners, for the most part, are close to BILLIONAIRES, the players, not quite.

Attrition. Salaries are out of control.

Benetto
01-20-2011, 12:30 AM
For those of you who are against the owners on this one:

Imagine you bought a hair salon. Bought it for cheap.

You work hard to make it reputable, hire good stylists, buy the best equipment, hair products, and spare no expense on trying to make it a profitable endeavor...
After many years of great service, great haircuts, and a unbeaten reputation, you are making a lot more than when you first broke the bank to open up....

Now, your stylists don't give a shit about their clients, they don't give a shit about their boss (who gave them the opportunity), and don't give a shit if the shop closes....All because their boss is raking in the cash, while they are unsatisfied with their HUGE salaries.

I know there is A LOT more to it than that...but it was just a thought...

Agent of Orange
01-20-2011, 12:34 AM
What makes it seem grim is that there seems to be too many issues that people feel strongly about that need to be resolved.

FanInAZ
01-20-2011, 05:07 PM
Great! According to the 2nd article posted in this thread, the millionaires and billionaires are now pulling congress away from try to solve the problems of our country to try and solve their selfish and self-centered bickering.

Nomad
01-24-2011, 02:59 PM
Though i'm not a big Cromartie fan, he wins my respect for standing up for what he believes about the NFLPA and NFL!!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/24/cromartie-calls-nflpa-nfl-leaders-a-holes/

NightTrainLayne
01-24-2011, 03:09 PM

You work hard to make it reputable, hire good stylists, buy the best equipment, hair products, and spare no expense on trying to make it a profitable endeavor...
After many years of great service, great haircuts, and a unbeaten reputation, you are making a lot more than when you first broke the bank to open up....

Now, your stylists don't give a shit about their clients, they don't give a shit about their boss (who gave them the opportunity), and don't give a shit if the shop closes....All because their boss is raking in the cash, while they are unsatisfied with their HUGE salaries.

Did you just compare the NFL to a hair salon? :lol:

My thoughts:

Both sides share some blame, and both sides are being greedy. But I guarantee you that there is a middle-ground where both can be happy. Problem is, neither side seems very interested in finding it.

Dirk
01-24-2011, 03:26 PM
If the league gave up on the 18 game season they would probably get their rookie salary cap. 18 games is just too much IMO.

Agent of Orange
01-24-2011, 03:31 PM

Bad analogy. It happens a lot where a stylist goes somewhere else to work and business follows them there.

People need to stop thinking of the players as the laborers. They're the product.

Cugel
01-25-2011, 12:33 PM
Great! According to the 2nd article posted in this thread, the millionaires and billionaires are now pulling Congress away from try to solve the problems of our country to try and solve their selfish and self-centered bickering.

If Congress actually had the slightest intention of trying to solve the problems of our country over the next 2 years this argument would be a lot more persuasive.

Cugel
01-25-2011, 12:51 PM
The owners just think they should be getting more profit then what they are. They are seeing the sport grow substantially while making minimal profits. While league revenues are increasing, so are player salaries, so are coaching salaries, so is maintenance to fund more and more expensive equipment. Hell stadium costs are continuing to increase significantly on a year to year basis. The owners are making multi millions and spending multi millions to fund operations.

This is a MAJOR failure to understand basic business 101.

The owners own STOCK in their teams. The STOCK price has increased dramatically. That's why Pat Bowlen's team was worth $78 million when he bought it in 1984 and is worth $1.1 BILLION today.

Any investor would KILL to have a "growth stock" like that! A 1400% increase on your investment over the last 27 years! That's an average INCREASE of $37.5 MILLION a year, every single YEAR for over a quarter century! He made back his initial investment on an average of TWO YEARS!

Not every growth stock also pays huge quarterly dividends! NO investor complains that his stock price just doubled, and then re-doubled, but the company didn't issue a big dividend check, preferring instead to re-invest the profits to create more growth!

He just sells his stock and walks to the bank happy with his PROFITS! He says: "I bought at 87 and sold at 1100! Whoo! Hoo!"

When the owners whine about "revenues" they are like an investor complaining "I don't want to sell my stock! I want bigger dividends!"

I get INCREDIBLY P.O.'d by these ass-hats who are complaining "my income isn't big enough!" when they've got a BILLION dollars sitting in their stock portfolio!

That's just absurd! If they need more money, they should sell some stock! Except they don't want to because owning an NFL team makes them "big deals" who get to hob-nob with governors & ex-presidents.

Well, I see no reason why I can't watch football because these massive egotists don't get enough "revenue" to maintain their lavish lifestyles while refusing to sell any of their stock!

TXBRONC
01-25-2011, 05:17 PM
I just hope they figure out a compromise that both sides can live with.