PDA

View Full Version : DJ Williams might be traded...

PAINTERDAVE
01-19-2011, 12:42 PM
"With just six draft picks remaining, and only two after the third round, we hear the Broncos will be looking to stockpile selections prior to the draft. QB Kyle Orton's name has been floated around in trade talks, but a source close to the team said ILB D.J. Williams could be the next player to go. Williams was stripped of his captaincy after his second DUI arrest this season and has not displayed the attitude the organization expects from its leaders moving forward. "

They dont mention the CBA... so much depends on these Millionaires fighting with Billionaires settling their differences.

ProFootballWeekly.com

Can't get the link to work.. ( I never can).. would someone please link it?

BroncoStud
01-19-2011, 12:44 PM
Fine with me as long as they have a plan to replace him adequately.

jhildebrand
01-19-2011, 12:45 PM
Strike while the iron is hot and you can get the most for him. I bet NO would come calling to pair him with Vilma.

I have maintained that DJ is simply and vastly overrated since his rookie season.

BroncoStud
01-19-2011, 12:49 PM
Too many of his tackles are made downfield. He isn't a great LBer, a productive LBer like Donnie Edwards was, but not a great one.

PAINTERDAVE
01-19-2011, 12:52 PM
That pic of Al Davis SCARES ME!

I mean that thing is HIDEOUS.

Lonestar
01-19-2011, 12:52 PM
IMHO no big loss

Great tackle stats but the VAST majority of them are after chasing the runner down after a decent gain OR more.

Almost NO sacks over the years, and very few tackles for losses ..

What this team has needed for a long time is a stud MLB that people fear.

Wilson was good/great until his neck and hands got busted up then he was reduced to a big hitter and failed to wrap up many many times..

Get what you can while you can..

honz
01-19-2011, 12:53 PM
Dream was right.

Lonestar
Too many of his tackles are made downfield. He isn't a great LBer, a productive LBer like Donnie Edwards was, but not a great one.

something I have been saying for years good post

I had not seen this post before posting mine.

camdisco24
That pic of Al Davis SCARES ME!

I mean that thing is HIDEOUS.

I threw up a little.

Northman
01-19-2011, 12:54 PM
Im actually all for this. Dj is a solid tackler but thats about where it ends. Fact is, we need playmakers and vocal leaders at the LB position and Dj just isnt that type. Not sure how much he would be worth but hopefully a 3rd or 4th will do. We desparately need to get some picks in the 4th and 5th or at least in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

honz
01-19-2011, 12:54 PM
Let's not forget though, he hasn't played his natural position since his rookie or second season...can't remember exactly.

Northman
01-19-2011, 12:56 PM
Let's not forget though, he hasn't played his natural position since his rookie or second season...can't remember exactly.

Actually, the last 3 years he's been playing his natural position.

BroncoStud
01-19-2011, 12:57 PM
something I have been saying for years good post

I had not seen this post before posting mine.

Williams might have as much value as anyone on the roster, trade him while he's still young enough to bring in good return. If they don't trade him they need to bring in a true MLB. Denver needs a mean rover in the middle to impose his will on runners. We've lacked it since Al Wilson.

jhildebrand
01-19-2011, 01:02 PM
DJ got burned on the 3rd and forever screen against Miami a couple of seasons ago and again this past season. He also seems prone to taking very bad angles.

honz
01-19-2011, 01:03 PM

How so? His speed and inability to shed blocks make him a much better fit on the weak side. He needs space to make plays and is not good at taking on blockers in the running game. Hasn't he been a MLB the past 3 years?

Dirk
01-19-2011, 01:03 PM
I have always thought DJ was overrated. Get what you can for him.

On a side note....Stud..you add a lot of value....that sig pic is about to make me ignore you.....:puke:

GEM
01-19-2011, 01:04 PM
His value may be low because of the possibility of his suspension. Just something to think about. Don't get rid of him at bargain basement value just to get something. If he's worth more to the team playing than he is to trading, keep him. If you can get good value for him and have a replacement in mind, go for it.

cuzz4169
01-19-2011, 01:09 PM
I hope so he has been are most overrated player for a couple of years now...someone will give something for him. I can see a 3rd or a 4th.

Mike
01-19-2011, 01:12 PM
Put DJ on a 4-3 defense at WLB with a decent DL and he is money. Denver wasted his potential with all the position moves, IMO. Hope they can get decent value for him.

cuzz4169
01-19-2011, 01:13 PM
His value may be low because of the possibility of his suspension. Just something to think about. Don't get rid of him at bargain basement value just to get something. If he's worth more to the team playing than he is to trading, keep him. If you can get good value for him and have a replacement in mind, go for it.

yes his value is low but his paycheck is high get him out of here.

frauschieze
01-19-2011, 01:14 PM
Williams might have as much value as anyone on the roster, trade him while he's still young enough to bring in good return. If they don't trade him they need to bring in a true MLB. Denver needs a mean rover in the middle to impose his will on runners. We've lacked it since Al Wilson.

Please stop posting. I'm going to have nightmares!

topscribe
01-19-2011, 01:15 PM
"With just six draft picks remaining, and only two after the third round, we hear the Broncos will be looking to stockpile selections prior to the draft. QB Kyle Orton's name has been floated around in trade talks, but a source close to the team said ILB D.J. Williams could be the next player to go. Williams was stripped of his captaincy after his second DUI arrest this season and has not displayed the attitude the organization expects from its leaders moving forward. "

They dont mention the CBA... so much depends on these Millionaires fighting with Billionaires settling their differences.

ProFootballWeekly.com

Can't get the link to work.. ( I never can).. would someone please link it?

I have been mentioning this as a possibility. I don't think the Broncos are
entirely happy with him overall, and, as your post points out, they need
draft choices. Whether it is at weakside inside LB in the 3-4 or Will in the
4-3, I believe Woodyard can be as effective as D.J.

I don't know whether the FO holds that same opinion, but I know they
they are not clicking their heels about either D.J. or their draft choices . . .

-----

BroncoStud
01-19-2011, 01:15 PM
I have always thought DJ was overrated. Get what you can for him.

On a side note....Stud..you add a lot of value....that sig pic is about to make me ignore you.....:puke:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

BroncoStud
01-19-2011, 01:16 PM
Please stop posting. I'm going to have nightmares!

:lol::lol::lol:

That bad huh?

frauschieze
01-19-2011, 01:17 PM
:lol::lol::lol:

That bad huh?

It's terrifying! The man could star as the evil villain in a horror flick and not need makeup.

And I can't read your posts with him staring me in the face. I have to scroll down immediately. :(

T.K.O.
01-19-2011, 01:23 PM
i thought there could be no trades etc... until the new cba gets done ?
but i keep hearing speculation about trades....what gives ?
does anybody have the facts on this issue ?
i rreally want to know if its going to be that boring of an offseason or if there are guidelines/loopholes that teams can get deals done under the current situation.:confused:

TXBRONC
01-19-2011, 01:29 PM
I like Williams but he and Orton are probably our two most trade-able players

BroncoStud
01-19-2011, 01:32 PM
i thought there could be no trades etc... until the new cba gets done ?
but i keep hearing speculation about trades....what gives ?
does anybody have the facts on this issue ?
i rreally want to know if its going to be that boring of an offseason or if there are guidelines/loopholes that teams can get deals done under the current situation.:confused:

There are no trades, but as soon as the the CBA is re-worked and final, trades will resume.

MadMax
01-19-2011, 01:35 PM
I don't see it happening guys, he may not be a game changer but he is probably our most dependable defensive starter after Bailey. I think given that teams will see us as desperate to move him(with the DUI's and our lack of draft picks), and also considering that he is the highest paid LB in the NFL who doesn't play MLB, I just don't think we will get that much for him. Maybe a third, and quite possibly lower. The odds would be against us finding as productive a starter with that pick.

For those of you who think he is overrated, do you think a third or fourth round player would be any better?

(not to mention that a lot of our LB's are converted DE's who have never played LB in a 4-3)

dogfish
01-19-2011, 01:35 PM
not sure what to think about this. . . DJ is a little overrated, he's a good player but certainly not a great one. . . still has top athleticism, but his instincts have never been that great, and he's not overly physical for a MLB. . .

on a stand-alone basis i have no problem with getting rid of him if we can get some solid value back. . . i'm not entirely sold that this is a great time, though. . . i'll put it this way-- i'm cool with moving him for the right price, but that damn well better include us bringing in a couple of veteran 'backers that fit what we want to do. . . you can only play so many rooks, and i know fox in particular isn't that fond of it. . .

and it will irk me a little if we move the guy right when we go back to his natural scheme. . . IMO, DJ and woody are the only 'backers on the roster with enough range and coverage skills to start in the 43. . . if we trade DJ, they damn well better have some ideas lined up that don't include starting both mays and haggan, and letting speed backs get to the edges at will and anyone who wants to get open in the flat. . . that is a poor plan at best, i hope they have something else in mind. . .

i was hoping for a real defensive line rebuild, but we have so gat damn many holes at linebacker and safety that it'll probably get mostly pushed back yet again-- we'll end up getting one DL instead of the three that i covet. . . it's not so much that i'm married to the idea of DJ being here, but the guy is both versatile and durable-- i kinda can't help wishing they'd just fill some of the gaping holes we already have with quality players before creating more holes. . .

we'll see where it goes. . . .

Lonestar
01-19-2011, 01:41 PM
I don't see it happening guys, he may not be a game changer but he is probably our most dependable defensive starter after Bailey. I think given that teams will see us as desperate to move him(with the DUI's and our lack of draft picks), and also considering that he is the highest paid LB in the NFL who doesn't play MLB, I just don't think we will get that much for him. Maybe a third, and quite possibly lower. The odds would be against us finding as productive a starter with that pick.

For those of you who think he is overrated, do you think a third or fourth round player would be any better?

(not to mention that a lot of our LB's are converted DE's who have never played LB in a 4-3)

lets see which 3rd or 4th rounders have worked out.

4 114 David Bruton DB Notre Dame

3 70 Ryan Harris OT Notre Dame
4 121 Marcus Thomas DT Florida

4 119 Brandon Marshall WR Central Florida
4 126 Elvis Dumervil DE Louisville
4 130 Domenik Hixon WR Akron

3 87 Reggie Hayward DE Iowa State

4 127 Olandis Gary RB Georgia

3 91 Brian Griese QB Michigan

most of them worked out ok overall..

Northman
01-19-2011, 01:42 PM
maybe a third,

sold!!

T.K.O.
01-19-2011, 01:49 PM
There are no trades, but as soon as the the CBA is re-worked and final, trades will resume.

so i would assume that teams are ok to set up trades and try and get most of the details established and then wait until a deal is done?
otherwise if the new cba is not in place until spring or early summer it would be a frenzy to try and work out contracts etc....
could really make it hard to get trades handled in such a short time and would reduce the # of trades all together

BroncoStud
01-19-2011, 01:51 PM
so i would assume that teams are ok to set up trades and try and get most of the details established and then wait until a deal is done?
otherwise if the new cba is not in place until spring or early summer it would be a frenzy to try and work out contracts etc....
could really make it hard to get trades handled in such a short time and would reduce the # of trades all together

You would think so. I know that if wanted to move or acquire a player I would start talking about it now as opposed to later, and have something in mind. Who knows when the CBA will get done, if it takes a while we might see some rush trades come draft day. My guess is that Orton is dealt on draft day - just a guess.

MadMax
01-19-2011, 02:02 PM
lets see which 3rd or 4th rounders have worked out.

4 114 David Bruton DB Notre Dame

3 70 Ryan Harris OT Notre Dame
4 121 Marcus Thomas DT Florida

4 119 Brandon Marshall WR Central Florida
4 126 Elvis Dumervil DE Louisville
4 130 Domenik Hixon WR Akron

3 87 Reggie Hayward DE Iowa State

4 127 Olandis Gary RB Georgia

3 91 Brian Griese QB Michigan

most of them worked out ok overall..

We were very fortunate in drafting Brandon Marshall and Elvis Dumervil, it is not common to get players like that out of the third and fourth rounds, and they are the reasons why that Bronco draft is routinely considered one of the best a team has ever had in the NFL.

It's too early to tell about Bruton.

Ryan Harris and Marcus Thomas are both good, but since there's discussion about not re-signing either of them I have to assume that means they don't have the same value as DJ.

Everyone else on that list was a.) released, b.) not re-signed, or c.) traded for less than their draft position.

The draft in any round is a crap shoot. The odds of finding a serviceable starter go down with every successive pick. I don't think the odds are in our favor of finding a player as productive as DJ with a 3rd round pick.

topscribe
01-19-2011, 02:05 PM
We were very fortunate in drafting Brandon Marshall and Elvis Dumervil, it is not common to get players like that out of the third and fourth rounds, and they are the reasons why that Bronco draft is routinely considered one of the best a team has ever had in the NFL.

It's too early to tell about Bruton.

Ryan Harris and Marcus Thomas are both good, but since there's discussion about not re-signing either of them I have to assume that means they don't have the same value as DJ.

Everyone else on that list was a.) released, b.) not re-signed, or c.) traded for less than their draft position.

The draft in any round is a crap shoot. The odds of finding a serviceable starter go down with every successive pick. I don't think the odds are in our favor of finding a player as productive as DJ with a 3rd round pick.

Is the discussion about not re-signing Harris or Thomas coming from the FO
or the fanbase? I personally haven't heard anything about that from the
Broncos, but you are closer to that situation than I am . . .

-----

dogfish
01-19-2011, 02:07 PM

-----

top, elway did come pretty close to saying harris won't be back-- it was in one of the many tweets or pressers, can't remember for sure. . . gimme a minute, i'll see if i can find it. . .

Harris' contract is up, and he appears ready to move on. He is one of a group of players who have had their confidence chipped at over the last two years and seem ready for a new start somewhere else.

Wednesday, the Broncos sounded as though they wanted to move on as well, basically saying that Harris would be the only one of their starters in the offensive line whom they did not expect back for the 2011 season.

John Elway kept referring to Harris' departure as leaving a hole that would have to be addressed.

So, in short, I think both sides in this are looking for a change. Harris would certainly be a popular fit in Washington in Shanahan's offense or in Houston, where his former offensive line coach Rick Dennison is calling plays.

And the Broncos feel like they can get an upgrade as well.
Read more: Q&A: Once a potential "bookend" tackle, Broncos' Harris headed out the door - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17028788#ixzz1BVgNB4vT
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

obviously, legwold's opinion isn't definitive-- though it sounds like the quotes from elway may have been more so. . . we'll see what fox and magazu think, but harris isn't reliable at all-- it won't surprise me a bit if they do move on. . . and i'm fine with it, but it's just more holes that will need filled. . .

Ravage!!!
01-19-2011, 02:12 PM
I think the exaggeration of him making tackles DOWN the field, has been do to the lack of DL. The DL allows the blockers all the freedom in the world to do what they've wanted to do, and that is to block our guys 1-on-1.

DJ isn't a "great" LB, but he's more than solid. YOu need solid players, and DJ has shown the ability to play every position across the LB string, and do it well, not GREAT, but very well. He's been a starter for how many years now? Thats what you want from your 1st round picks.

The criticisms of DJ's play has been nothing but repeated exaggeration.

MadMax
01-19-2011, 02:14 PM

-----

I think Marcus Thomas, who was injured in the final game, is through in Denver, as was his running mate, Jarvis Moss, earlier in the season. They were two busted draft choices leftover from the Shanahan era.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17020984

His word isn't gospel, but Woody Paige is closer to the Broncos than both of us. The point I was making is there is the possibility of not resigning them, which means that if we drafted a player just like them it wouldn't be good value for DJ who starts every game and plays a majority of downs.

GEM
01-19-2011, 02:17 PM
top, elway did come pretty close to saying harris won't be back-- it was in one of the many tweets or pressers, can't remember for sure. . . gimme a minute, i'll see if i can find it. . .

Read more: Q&A: Once a potential "bookend" tackle, Broncos' Harris headed out the door - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17028788#ixzz1BVgNB4vT
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

obviously, legwold's opinion isn't definitive-- though it sounds like the quotes from elway may have been more so. . . we'll see what fox and magazu think, but harris isn't reliable at all-- it won't surprise me a bit if they do move on. . . and i'm fine with it, but it's just more holes that will need filled. . .

Dang it. I actually want Harris to stay so that we can see what he can do getting back into the ZBS or any other system besides the "bullshit" power blocking system.

TXBRONC
01-19-2011, 02:20 PM

It's to bad Harris hasn't been able to stay healthy because when he's healthy he's a solid tackle.

dogfish
01-19-2011, 02:20 PM
Dang it. I actually want Harris to stay so that we can see what he can do getting back into the ZBS or any other system besides the "bullshit" power blocking system.

i like the guy as a player, but with chemistry being so crucial to O-line play, it IS pretty tough to go forward with a guy who's very likely to miss half the season and leave you playing with a backup. . .

they did a fine job of developing OLs in carolina, and fox brought his well-respected O-line coach with him, so it's honestly not one of my major areas of concern. . . it's a need, for sure, but i trust them to fill it adequately. . .

GEM
01-19-2011, 02:22 PM
i like the guy as a player, but with chemistry being so crucial to O-line play, it IS pretty tough to go forward with a guy who's very likely to miss half the season and leave you playing with a backup. . .

they did a fine job of developing OLs in carolina, and fox brought his well-respected O-line coach with him, so it's honestly not one of my major areas of concern. . . it's a need, for sure, but i trust them to fill it adequately. . .

I wonder if the need for a strong RT since Tebow is a left plays into it at all?>

dogfish
01-19-2011, 02:24 PM
I wonder if the need for a strong RT since Tebow is a left plays into it at all?>

i suspect we'd be looking to replace him regardless, but if anything that just increases the need for a reliable ORT. . .

MadMax
01-19-2011, 02:24 PM

I wonder about this, Harris was supposed to play LT, and when it didn't work out we switched him to RT correct? So why not switch him and Clady now that our starter is going to be a southpaw?

topscribe
01-19-2011, 02:31 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17020984

His word isn't gospel, but Woody Paige is closer to the Broncos than both of us. The point I was making is there is the possibility of not resigning them, which means that if we drafted a player just like them it wouldn't be good value for DJ who starts every game and plays a majority of downs.

Well, Max, that's Woody. In my view -- and I have read him since his days
deep into the RMN -- Woody is close to the least credible of the beat writers
because he is the biggest homer.

Now, if you were going according to your own opinion, according to what you
have heard, then I might be more inclined to believe. However, Thomas has
been far more productive than Moss ever was, or probably ever will be. I don't
think we can deny that, can we?

I just don't see the Broncos letting either get away, unless they get value
for them. The D-line is weak enough as it is, and if the Broncos are going
back to the ZBS, then Harris, who excelled when they were running it, just
might look more attractive to the team.

After all, the Broncos vividly demonstrated that there is essentially no one
behind Harris at the RT spot. Beadles obviously is not the answer: He's a
guard, probably a good one, but only as a guard. So what are they going
to do -- get rid of Harris and replace him with a rookie or a journeyman RT?
Doesn't make sense to me. But then, I'm not a GM or coach for a reason . . .

-----

BroncoStud
01-19-2011, 02:35 PM
It's terrifying! The man could star as the evil villain in a horror flick and not need makeup.

And I can't read your posts with him staring me in the face. I have to scroll down immediately. :(

It was starting to gross me out as well, had to make the change.

MadMax
01-19-2011, 02:41 PM
Well, Max, that's Woody. In my view -- and I have read him since his days
deep into the RMN -- Woody is close to the least credible of the beat writers
because he is the biggest homer.

Now, if you were going according to your own opinion, according to what you
have heard, then I might be more inclined to believe. However, Thomas has
been far more productive than Moss ever was, or probably ever will be. I don't
think we can deny that, can we?

I just don't see the Broncos letting either get away, unless they get value
for them. The D-line is weak enough as it is, and if the Broncos are going
back to the ZBS, then Harris, who excelled when they were running it, just
might look more attractive to the team.

After all, the Broncos vividly demonstrated that there is essentially no one
behind Harris at the RT spot. Beadles obviously is not the answer: He's a
guard, probably a good one, but only as a guard. So what are they going
to do -- get rid of Harris and replace him with a rookie or a journeyman RT?
Doesn't make sense to me. But then, I'm not a GM or coach for a reason . . .

-----

I think you misunderstand me, I am not advocating for releasing either Marcus Thomas or Ryann Harris. For the record, I like Harris, and want to see what he can do in a ZBS again. I loved Marcus Thomas when he was at Florida, heck he is my adopted Bronco still.

The argument I was making was that if we could only get a third rounder for DJ, then for arguments sake we're talking about trading DJ for a player about as good as Marcus Thomas or Harris, which I don't think is good value for DJ.

topscribe
01-19-2011, 02:49 PM
I think you misunderstand me, I am not advocating for releasing either Marcus Thomas or Ryann Harris. For the record, I like Harris, and want to see what he can do in a ZBS again. I loved Marcus Thomas when he was at Florida, heck he is my adopted Bronco still.

The argument I was making was that if we could only get a third rounder for DJ, then for arguments sake we're talking about trading DJ for a player about as good as Marcus Thomas or Harris, which I don't think is good value for DJ.

I didn't think you were advocating it. I apologize if I did not make myself clear.
I was disagreeing with Woody. Sometimes, Woody just doesn't seem to think
about the consequences of what he believes the Broncos will do, which often
coincides with what he hopes they will do.

But your point is well taken. If D.J. is worth no more than a 3rd (and he
might not be, on the block), then Thomas may not be worth better than a
4th.

Again, however, I believe Harris is out of the question, that any trade
value considerations would be moot: That would just seem to leave a
gigantic hole in the O-line, IMO . . .

-----

Traveler
01-19-2011, 02:57 PM
A little OT-

I'm always amazed by how fast we as fans and media can turn on our players when we think they are done, could be used as trade bait, or cut outright.

Some of the criticism it is warranted, i.e., Cutler, Marshall, Romanowski. There were also some pretty derogatory things said about Champ, Atwater, Wilson, Sharpe, and even Terrell Davis.

While never being a fan of Orton or a big supporter of DJ, and others, there are reasons all those mentioned had to/ will move on. Just seems sometimes we become so negative once they seemingly become expendible.

Why do we do that?

I Eat Staples
01-19-2011, 03:05 PM
Strike while the iron is hot and you can get the most for him. I bet NO would come calling to pair him with Vilma.

I have maintained that DJ is simply and vastly overrated since his rookie season.

I agree that he's been overrated by Broncos fans for a while, but honestly he's one of the best players on our defense right now. We won't improve by losing him, although it is probably better in the long run.

topscribe
01-19-2011, 03:07 PM
I agree that he's been overrated by Broncos fans for a while, but honestly he's one of the best players on our defense right now. We won't improve by losing him, although it is probably better in the long run.

Truly, the prospect of showing D.J. the door is cause for extremely mixed emotions . . .

-----

jhildebrand
01-19-2011, 03:24 PM

Short term loss for a long term gain. DJ is already a bit older and he hasn't done much for this team anyways.

I am not here to overly criticise the guy and chastise him on the way out as has been done to several past broncos as Traveler has mentioned.

For me, it is just as the first sentence describes. I am not one who thinks this team will even sniff 10-6 next year or probably the year after. I would rather acquire as much youth as possible and play that youth and have a real, solid foundation going forward. DJ provides a means to do part of that.

Traveler
01-19-2011, 03:24 PM

Not sure how to take this. If DJ is one of the best players on our defense, what does that say about the state of our defense?

I like DJ. My guess is that all the position changes early in his career retarded his development. DJ was never the type of player you can build your defense around. He's a role player. Nothing more. I'd like for him to be kept, but the needs are too many on defense.

Whether we use a 3-4 or switch back to the 4-3, we've seen that DJ is a tackling machine, but not a difference maker in either scheme.

This defense needs to be torn down and rebuilt from scratch. If losing DJ, Champ, or both will assist in the rebuild, I wish them good luck in their new places of emplyment. Having said that, if Fox can get more out of them by keeping them here, I don't have an issue with that either.

Way to take a stand, huh?

hotcarl
01-19-2011, 03:32 PM
i dont know if anyone posted this yet because i didnt read the thread, but no one can be traded until the cba is finalized, which will not happen in our lifetime

dogfish
01-19-2011, 03:33 PM
A little OT-

I'm always amazed by how fast we as fans and media can turn on our players when we think they are done, could be used as trade bait, or cut outright.

Some of the criticism it is warranted, i.e., Cutler, Marshall, Romanowski. There were also some pretty derogatory things said about Champ, Atwater, Wilson, Sharpe, and even Terrell Davis.

While never being a fan of Orton or a big supporter of DJ, and others, there are reasons all those mentioned had to/ will move on. Just seems sometimes we become so negative once they seemingly become expendible.

Why do we do that?

makes it easy to let go if you can think of the guy as a bum. . . ;)

that said, there has always been a faction of broncos fans that didn't love DJ, and the stupid DUI probably sent a lot more people in that direction. . .

topscribe
01-19-2011, 03:34 PM
i dont know if anyone posted this yet because i didnt read the thread, but no one can be traded until the cba is finalized, which will not happen in our lifetime

That's what I was implying in the other thread.

Come August, they might all still be on the roster . . .

-----

TXBRONC
01-19-2011, 03:47 PM
A little OT-

Why do we do that?

I have no idea why some people do that.

Lonestar
01-19-2011, 04:03 PM
I wonder about this, Harris was supposed to play LT, and when it didn't work out we switched him to RT correct? So why not switch him and Clady now that our starter is going to be a southpaw?

I think John said it once that they would not be flipping Clady to the right side as MOST power rushers are from the OLT spot anyway.

as for Harris

Offensive Line
Year Team G GS
2010 Denver Broncos 11 10
2009 Denver Broncos 8 8
2008 Denver Broncos 16 16
2007 Denver Broncos 11 0
TOTAL 46 34

34 games started in 4 years out of 64 that he should have been a starter.

looks like he has been a 53% starter these last few years..

OLine needs consistency.

Each guy has to KNOW what the guy next to him is going to do, at this level they can hesitate for a second thinking about "now who is it next to me today and what is he going to do".

Just can't be wondering when you have a monster trying to kill your RB or QB.

I 08 everyone played all games and IIRC pretty much every play. that made a huge difference.

look at the great running and passing attacks the key is stability on the OLINE many of them playing together as long as a decade.

Harris is not someone they can plan on to be on the field.

Lonestar
01-19-2011, 04:08 PM
I didn't think you were advocating it. I apologize if I did not make myself clear.
I was disagreeing with Woody. Sometimes, Woody just doesn't seem to think
about the consequences of what he believes the Broncos will do, which often
coincides with what he hopes they will do.

But your point is well taken. If D.J. is worth no more than a 3rd (and he
might not be, on the block), then Thomas may not be worth better than a
4th.

Again, however, I believe Harris is out of the question, that any trade
value considerations would be moot: That would just seem to leave a
gigantic hole in the O-line, IMO . . .

-----

he has been the HOLE in the OLINE for 3 of his four years here.

he was/is a marginal pass blocker , is constantly be beat like a rented mule by speed guys. how many of those sacks came at his hands, or hurries .
sorry but unless he can guarantee to be healthy not a chance I want him on the team.

MAybe a back up but then only at a vet min contract level.

Lonestar
01-19-2011, 04:11 PM
Short term loss for a long term gain. DJ is already a bit older and he hasn't done much for this team anyways.

For me, it is just as the first sentence describes.I would rather acquire as much youth as possible and play that youth and have a real, solid foundation going forward. DJ provides a means to do part of that.

with this I can agree.

DJ was great as a WLB beyond that nothing special..

Lonestar
01-19-2011, 04:16 PM
makes it easy to let go if you can think of the guy as a bum. . . ;)

that said, there has always been a faction of broncos fans that didn't love DJ, and the stupid DUI probably sent a lot more people in that direction. . .

count me as one of the guys that was never gushing about DJ.

I wanted Wilfork that year badly and if not Stephen Jackson would have done in a pinch.

But we drafted DJ to fill Golds hole (intital injury)and then being DOUBLED down dumb, and gave gold his spot back the next year.

he is a WLB that really can't cover passing routes..

Slick
01-19-2011, 04:47 PM
I've criticized DJ over the years, mainly for making the routine plays, never the game changing plays.

I've never cared for him manning the middle because I like my MLB's to be mean and nasty as well as a vocal leader. He is none of those but he's far from scrub status.

If we're switching back to the 4-3 I'd like to see him stay, just not in the middle. Shipping him off would just add another hole to fill, and I doubt we get a player of his caliber with a 3rd round pick.

I was hoping we Fox and company could find a MLB in free agency and allow DJ to play WILL or SAM.

topscribe
01-19-2011, 04:51 PM
I've criticized DJ over the years, mainly for making the routine plays, never the game changing plays.

I've never cared for him manning the middle because I like my MLB's to be mean and nasty as well as a vocal leader. He is none of those but he's far from scrub status.

If we're switching back to the 4-3 I'd like to see him stay, just not in the middle. Shipping him off would just add another hole to fill, and I doubt we get a player of his caliber with a 3rd round pick.

I was hoping we Fox and company could find a MLB in free agency and allow DJ to play WILL or SAM.

Actually, D.J. was mediocre at SAM, too, but he was a very good WILL
when he first started. One thing to remember is that D.J. has played five
positions since coming here: WILL, MIKE, SAM, WIL, SIL. I'm afraid that
by making him a jack-of-all-trades, the Broncos may have made him a
master of none . . .

-----

G_Money
01-19-2011, 05:59 PM
I dunno if the Broncos made him that, but I've always maintained that DJ is not an instinctual LB. Vilma is all instincts with some natural talent, and DJ is the opposite. I like the Vilmas of the world better. Woodyard would be a great Will, IMO, so I'm not missing DJ too much.

The CBA issue needs to be resolved before we can go trading DJ, though. Good luck there. If we trade him the likelihood is it's for a 2012 draftpick, not a 2011.

I still maintain the easiest LB position to fill is the weakside position. Slow safeties, undersized LBs, all the quality college players that cannot QUITE measure up in pounds or inches can play Will.

I like Woodyard for it, but even if we didn't I believe we can replace DJ with a different player in a 4-3 defense and not miss him much.

~G

PS - When Al Wilson was a shadow of his former self, with two busted-up shoulders that prevented him from tackling correctly, I harped on him.

But MAN do I miss the player he was in his first 5 seasons. A fearsome leader and tremendous player whose main fault was not being Ray Lewis (who came out in the same draft).

DJ was never Al Wilson. Not a leader, not an instinctual player, not a fiery player. I think my opinion of him suffered because I loved Vilma and Wilson and didn't appreciate DJ's athleticism when it was tempered by his inadequacies in other areas.

DJ's been a fine LB - just not a great one. I hope we add some leaders and ferocious players back to the LB corps and return it to greatness. if that means DJ goes, so be it.

~G

claymore
01-19-2011, 06:41 PM
I doubt we could replace DJ's mediocrity with a 3rd round pick.

We are far worse at other positions IMO.

Elevation inc
01-19-2011, 06:49 PM

Dj's natural position is WLB it was why we drafted him for it when gold left....and then we moved his ass all over, he really isnt a good ILB or MLB, and i wasnt even impressed with his WLB performance his rookie year. In fact his actual best overall year was when he played SLB. He had his bets year as a pro there LB wise......

I could easily see a situation where we trade DJ, re-sign woodyard for WLB, bring in jon beason for MLB or Thomas davis for SLB, and let haggan play the otehr spot with mays as depth. probally add a draft pick as well.....

Italianmobstr7
01-19-2011, 06:54 PM
I think DJ is pretty good. I think a lot of people are hating because our defense in general has been bad, but he makes some very good plays for a LB. He has great speed and plays sideline to sideline. I like DJ and hope he stays around. No reason to create a hole on the team where one doesn't exist. We have enough problems on the D already, no reason to take a starter and get rid of him too.

dogfish
01-19-2011, 07:02 PM
Dj's natural position is WLB it was why we drafted him for it when gold left....and then we moved his ass all over, he really isnt a good ILB or MLB, and i wasnt even impressed with his WLB performance his rookie year. In fact his actual best overall year was when he played SLB. He had his bets year as a pro there LB wise......

I could easily see a situation where we trade DJ, re-sign woodyard for WLB, bring in jon beason for MLB or Thomas davis for SLB, and let haggan play the otehr spot with mays as depth. probally add a draft pick as well.....

jon beason, wut?

you wish homeboy. . . :lol:

he's not a free agent-- we gonna trade #2 for him?

dogfish
01-19-2011, 07:06 PM
FTR, i wish also. . .

although i'd rather stick with the 3-4 and get by for a year or two with haggan, mays and possibly a mid-round pick. . . with woodyard as depth and a nickel backer. . . draft 2-3 DLs, a safety and a right tackle with our top picks this year. . . .

i'm not convinced of the sense of trading DJ if we are moving back to the 43-- i need to see who else they're going to get, and what resources we're going to have to invest. . .

bcbronc
01-19-2011, 07:16 PM
Imo its tough to judge DJ's performance because he's had zero talent on the DL in front of him, basically his entire career. There's not too many MLBs that do well when guards are free to move to the 2nd level because no DL require a deouble team. Improve the DL and you improve the LBs.

DJ's range and athleticism has always been top notch, and I view him as a pretty solid tackler. On the other hand, he's never been a big play maker (picks, sacks, ffs) nor the spiritual leader you'd like to see at MLB (and his off-field issues magnify that).

If we can get good value, he's a guy that can be upgraded on so I wouldn't complain. But he's also far from the biggest problem on our D, so I don't support dumping him just to get rid of him.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Slick
01-19-2011, 07:18 PM
Move Woodyard to SS, let DJ play Will, sign a MLB in free agency and let the remaining scrubs compete for the strong side?

Lonestar
01-19-2011, 07:46 PM
Move Woodyard to SS, let DJ play Will, sign a MLB in free agency and let the remaining scrubs compete for the strong side?

Actualy ww is a converted safety. Just needs to work on coverage skills.

But the real issue about DJ Mikey signed him to a top tier MLB contract and je flat is not worth it. Iirc he is the top paid LB that is not a MLB.

Agent of Orange
01-19-2011, 07:53 PM
Put DJ on a 4-3 defense at WLB with a decent DL and he is money. Denver wasted his potential with all the position moves, IMO. Hope they can get decent value for him.

The question is, is Woodyard just as good but cheaper? I think a lot of people would say he is.

Lonestar
01-19-2011, 08:00 PM
The question is, is Woodyard just as good but cheaper? I think a lot of people would say he is.

@ 220 or so he is to small to be a full time LB IMHO

TXBRONC
01-19-2011, 08:20 PM

I'm not so sure we're going to switch back a 4-3. As I have said before I like D.J. but if gets traded I understand why.

Cugel
01-19-2011, 09:43 PM
yes his value is low but his paycheck is high get him out of here.

D.J. Williams Linebacker 9/6/2008: Signed a six-year, $32 million contract. The deal contains $13 million guaranteed, including a $4.5 million "signing" bonus in the second year and a $3 million roster bonus in the third. 2011: $4.9 million, 2012: $5 million, 2013: $6 million, 2014: Free Agent

If the Broncos cut or trade him the unearned portion of his signing bonus ($7.5 million) would be accelerated against the cap this year (assuming there's a new CBA and a cap). So the cap hit would be for 3 years = $3.75 million. Rather a lot to eat just to get rid of DJ. :coffee:

If they keep him it costs them $4.9 million. So, it comes down to "is keeping DJ worth the extra $1.1 million it would cost?"

Possibly not.

broncofaninfla
01-19-2011, 09:54 PM
If we can get anything for him then trade him. I like him but he's nothing special playing at a journeyman level at best.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-19-2011, 10:39 PM
I think he has to stay. Just don't extend him again and let him go once we're done overhauling the D. He's not a fit in a 3-4, but if we keep that defense, we need more LBs. His experience and solid play will be crucial for us until we "fix" things. Losing a player in a position of need makes no sense to me. Our secondary is elderly and our DLine is crap. Now we wanna blow up the LBs too? If we go back to 4-3, I think he can play very well at SAM. Put Woody at WILL and get a MLB in FA or draft if we don't think our guy is on our roster...and then fix the DLine.

DJ does have his limitations, and you all can bash on him all ya want, BUT when has he had a legit DLine in front of him to help the cause? And besides, will his replacement be any better? I'm not keen on overspending (which is what ya always do w/ FAs) to replace a dude who is far from the biggest problem on the D.

Agent of Orange
01-19-2011, 11:19 PM
If the Broncos cut or trade him the unearned portion of his signing bonus ($7.5 million) would be accelerated against the cap this year (assuming there's a new CBA and a cap). So the cap hit would be for 3 years = $3.75 million. Rather a lot to eat just to get rid of DJ. :coffee:

If they keep him it costs them $4.9 million. So, it comes down to "is keeping DJ worth the extra $1.1 million it would cost?"

Possibly not.

And then you have to add on the cost of his replacement.

But the answer to your question is yes, it might be worth trading him.

Lonestar
01-19-2011, 11:21 PM

Possibly not.

WHY CARRY A a player that has no future with teh team?

SmilinAssasSin27
01-19-2011, 11:23 PM

Because his absence makes the team worse.

Lonestar
01-19-2011, 11:29 PM

that is a matter of opine..

however not mine

Agent of Orange
01-19-2011, 11:31 PM

Is he really that much better than Woodyard, if at all?

PAINTERDAVE
01-19-2011, 11:49 PM

It depends on who we can get...
which depends on the CBA being finalized.

It sure will be interesting...

tubby
01-20-2011, 12:02 AM
Dj is a good blitzer. I never figured out why they didn't find more ways to send him. He sucks against the run. Fills the wrong hole, over pursues, and gets caught up in the wash.

If the Broncos can get anything of value they should do it now and move on.

nevcraw
01-20-2011, 01:03 AM
I am fairly ambivalent when it comes to DJ. I want an MLB with a lot more raucous-ness.. much more fire.. DJ would be a fine OLB if there was a shit kicker in the middle.
as far getting rid of players -- give me champ and Elvis and everyone else could go.. and keep Goodman too, he is better than most think..

NameUsedBefore
01-20-2011, 05:11 AM
Williams is very underrated if anything. He was the only thing keeping Denver's linebackers from falling off the face of the planet the past few years. He is not elite by any means, but he is one of the better linebackers in the league who has spent most of his career fighting blockers because the defensive line he stands behind is nonexistent while he is also changing positions annually since his rookie year. He's been scapegoated a lot lately and it just doesn't make any sense to me. Any team who picks him up in a low cost trade would be making a steal while Denver would be left with absolute shit on the front seven outside of Dumervil.

Traveler
01-20-2011, 06:42 AM
Any team who picks him up in a low cost trade would be making a steal while Denver would be left with absolute shit on the front seven outside of Dumervil.

According to some in the media, our front seven is already shitty.;)

Lonestar
01-20-2011, 09:43 AM
Williams is very underrated if anything. He was the only thing keeping Denver's linebackers from falling off the face of the planet the past few years. He is not elite by any means, but he is one of the better linebackers in the league who has spent most of his career fighting blockers because the defensive line he stands behind is nonexistent while he is also changing positions annually since his rookie year. He's been scapegoated a lot lately and it just doesn't make any sense to me. Any team who picks him up in a low cost trade would be making a steal while Denver would be left with absolute shit on the front seven outside of Dumervil.

Some times it is just better to start over.
He is not all that special, frankly has not been involved in a decent defense as a pro. Iirc been under a new scheme/DC each year. He is not worth keeping, he is not a leader.

You keep/recruit older leaders not role players. IMHO

If he was a perennial pro bowl difference maker maybe, not a 7+ year journeyman. LB as a dime a dozen.

TXBRONC
01-20-2011, 10:32 AM
I am fairly ambivalent when it comes to DJ. I want an MLB with a lot more raucous-ness.. much more fire.. DJ would be a fine OLB if there was a shit kicker in the middle.
as far getting rid of players -- give me champ and Elvis and everyone else could go.. and keep Goodman too, he is better than most think..

Goodman was hurt for a good portion of the year but I think his play was starting to tale-off even before he got injured. Nevertheless he still might be a better option than anything else we could do.

Agent of Orange
01-20-2011, 11:13 AM
Count me in as someone who doesnt think Goodman was that bad. The concern though is age and the possibility that his play might decline drastically next year at some point.

GEM
01-20-2011, 11:17 AM

Because you don't have an immediate successor to his position because you have a million other holes to fill.

Foochacho
01-20-2011, 11:19 AM
^^ Your mom thinks that his play might decline drastically next year at some point.............served.

Foochacho
01-20-2011, 11:20 AM
That bad ass serving wasn't meant for u gem.

Agent of Orange
01-20-2011, 11:20 AM
Because you don't have an immediate successor to his position because you have a million other holes to fill.

A lot of people would say Woodyard is almost as good or better.

Northman
01-20-2011, 11:22 AM

Emmm, yes and no. Sure, his experience will be missed but we are rebuilding anyway. Im quite confident a guy like Woodyard could come in and do just as well as DJ. I dont think DJ would be that missed truthfully.

Northman
01-20-2011, 11:22 AM
Is he really that much better than Woodyard, if at all?

I dont believe so personally.

GEM
01-20-2011, 11:26 AM
A lot of people would say Woodyard is almost as good or better.

I love Woodyard, but I think he is a better compliment TO DJ than he is a replacement....and that's not saying a whole lot. :lol: We need some mean and vicious LBers.

rcsodak
01-20-2011, 11:41 AM
There's also the possibility the CBA is signed in Aug, and they say 'all FA's play under previous contract, pro-rated, season starts in 2 weeks'. In other words, everybody knows nothing, for sure.

rcsodak
01-20-2011, 11:50 AM

But that was before they talked of going back to the scheme he was better at....the ZBS.

rcsodak
01-20-2011, 11:57 AM
A little OT-

Why do we do that?
Haters...the lot of them!

Northman
01-20-2011, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by Traveler
A little OT-

Why do we do that?

Probably a combination of things. One, you have people who heavily invest into the players themselves so whenever they become the topic (no matter if your trying to be objective about said player) there seems to be this rash to rush to their defense which really isnt necessary. So when that happens then those who try to be objective then lash out back at those posters by hammering on the guy more than they normally would.

Case in point, i think Brandon Lloyd had a excellent season but overall in his career im not that impressed and expect a repeat performance before i deem him a successful wideout. However, when i state this i get mauled by those who call me "hater" or some other derogatory term because those said individuals cant handle honest criticism or opinion.

Ravage!!!
01-20-2011, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by Traveler
A little OT-

Why do we do that?

I suppose they feel the same way you do when it comes to other players, the criticisms are warranted.

rcsodak
01-20-2011, 12:16 PM
Imo its tough to judge DJ's performance because he's had zero talent on the DL in front of him, basically his entire career. There's not too many MLBs that do well when guards are free to move to the 2nd level because no DL require a deouble team. Improve the DL and you improve the LBs.

DJ's range and athleticism has always been top notch, and I view him as a pretty solid tackler. On the other hand, he's never been a big play maker (picks, sacks, ffs) nor the spiritual leader you'd like to see at MLB (and his off-field issues magnify that).

If we can get good value, he's a guy that can be upgraded on so I wouldn't complain. But he's also far from the biggest problem on our D, so I don't support dumping him just to get rid of him.
Its almost funny how some posters are condemming mcd for making unnecessary holes, but then condoning talk of fox doing it.
I say address the glaring needs (DL)and add speed where possible.
SPEED KILLS

BroncoJoe
01-20-2011, 12:18 PM
Mike and Mike brought up an interesting theory today on their show -

While teams can't trade players for draft picks before a new CBA is signed, there may be back-room dealings. Team A will agree to draft a player team B wants, so long as team B agrees to send a specific player for the drafted player.

Not sure if I'm being clear on that or not... It was an interesting theory.

rcsodak
01-20-2011, 12:34 PM

While teams can't trade players for draft picks before a new CBA is signed, there may be back-room dealings. Team A will agree to draft a player team B wants, so long as team B agrees to send a specific player for the drafted player.

This isn't the NBA, and didn't wash/st louis both get accused of wrongdoings like that, last year?
M&M are more entertainers than anything, imo.

Agent of Orange
01-20-2011, 02:15 PM

Thats sketchy. Without a CBA in place, it's questionable whether this scenario is even binding. So what's to stop one team from backing out? And then there's also the reluctance that they'll be sitting there with a player they drafted for someone else until the CBA, which could last a long time, during which, things might change.