PDA

View Full Version : Criminal Charges against Marshall

Flatinum
09-18-2008, 09:46 AM
This is an old incident but new charges. Has he been disciplined for this already?

http://www.completecolorado.com/Marshall4.html

NightTrainLayne
09-18-2008, 09:49 AM
This is an old incident but new charges. Has he been disciplined for this already?

http://www.completecolorado.com/Marshall4.html

This was posted in the off-season new thread.

I don't know. Since charges hadn't been filed, I guess technically not, but the NFL was certainly aware of it and I'm sure it factored in on their original decision for a 3-game suspension.

I'm hoping that being misdemeanor charges for an incident that we were already aware of with a now ex- girlfriend, means no new discipline.

Flatinum
09-18-2008, 09:51 AM
For those that can't open the attachment.

STAR WR GETS PLEA IN DENVER, BUT CHARGES FILED OUT-OF-STATE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CompleteColorado.com is first to report that the solicitor's office in Fulton County, Georgia has decided to press criminal charges against Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall.

The solicitor's office filed misdemeanor battery charges on September 10th of this year for an alleged incident on March 4th, 2008 in Atlanta.

The case has been assigned to Judge John Mather in Georgia state court. An email from Judge Mather's office to CompleteColorado.com indicated that no court date has been set as of yet. The email also indicated that a court date for sometime in either November or December was probable.

The news comes just days after Marshall cut a deal on DUI charges with the Denver District Attorney's office.

The Broncos play in Atlanta in November.

LRtagger
09-18-2008, 10:13 AM
IMO you should not be allowed to file charges for an incident that happened that long ago. Obviously there are other motives besides the actual incident. If the incident in question warranted charges, they would have been filed initially.

Unless I am missing something.

OB
09-18-2008, 10:13 AM
Some lame ass DA in GA wants his 15 minutes of fame -

Lame :coffee:

turftoad
09-18-2008, 10:15 AM

And Marshalls ex wants some of his money. End of story.

OB
09-18-2008, 10:15 AM
IMO you should not be allowed to file charges for an incident that happened that long ago. Obviously there are other motives besides the actual incident. If the incident in question warranted charges, they would have been filed initially.

Unless I am missing something.

There are statute of limitations for most charges/incidents (all but murder, i believe)

IDK what GA's are but most SOL have minimum of 1 yr

OB
09-18-2008, 10:16 AM
And Marshalls ex wants some of his money. End of story.

Criminal charges will not get her money - she needs to file a civil suit for that

LRtagger
09-18-2008, 10:18 AM
There are statute of limitations for most charges/incidents (all but murder, i believe)

IDK what GA's are but most SOL have minimum of 1 yr

1 year is far too long for a misdemeanor.

Is it a coincidence that he will have a court date scheduled for around the same time as the Atlanta game?

Bronco9798
09-18-2008, 10:37 AM
Criminal charges will not get her money - she needs to file a civil suit for that

True, but I bet some money could make the case go away with a simple case of amnesia or just letting it go.

OB
09-18-2008, 11:39 AM
True, but I bet some money could make the case go away with a simple case of amnesia or just letting it go.

Money to the DA not her - once criminal charges are filed only the DA or the court system can make them go away

More than likely if she does file a civil suit (which the money grubbing hoar prolly will) he will prolly settle out of court to get it over n done with

Hopefully he is smart enough to stay the hell away from her for good

Poet
09-18-2008, 11:55 AM
This was posted in the off-season new thread.

I don't know. Since charges hadn't been filed, I guess technically not, but the NFL was certainly aware of it and I'm sure it factored in on their original decision for a 3-game suspension.

I'm hoping that being misdemeanor charges for an incident that we were already aware of with a now ex- girlfriend, means no new discipline.

GODell may take action on this now that the charges are being brought. In the past he has acted irrationally, in my opinion. Look at the suspension he gave Frostee Rucker for an incident that took place when Rucker was in college.

I hope not, because it would be crap for the suspension to be cut down, and then punish him again.

weazel
09-18-2008, 12:09 PM
she's just trying to pressure him into settling out of court so she can get some money in a civil suit.

hamrob
09-18-2008, 12:16 PM
It was probably (in part anyway) because of his 18 catches! :-)

The more name recognition he gets...the more this crap gets stired up.

The DA's office probably doesn't want to risk the backlash it could receive if it just dropped the case. You know...voters...saying that another high priced athelete got off scott free. So the DA's office files the charges...they either get pleaded down or thrown out...and noone can blame the DA's office!

dogfish
09-18-2008, 02:09 PM
posted on PFT:

Marshall should be charged with assaulting the Chargers’ secondary because he absolutely abused them!

:rofl:

smith49
09-18-2008, 02:43 PM
goodell was aware that charges may or may not have been charged to marshall when he sent down the ruling for discipline. i dought that it will go any further as far as that goes. i also dont think that a misdomener assult charge will go anywhere either, but because marshall is a big deal now the media stands to gain by reporting this info to everyone.

sneakers
09-19-2008, 05:03 AM
Someone probably posted this, but I couldn't find it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3595638

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Prosecutors in Georgia have filed two counts of simple battery against Denver Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall stemming from a 6-month-old domestic violence complaint.

Brandon Marshall

Marshall
The charges were filed Sept. 10 in Fulton County State Court. Police allege Marshall threw his ex-girlfriend on a bed, slapped her and damaged an Atlanta apartment on March 4.

Marshall said Thursday he had been waiting for charges to be filed, but it wasn't clear why they came so long after the complaint.

"Like I said before, that's my past," he said.

"Everything that came out in camp was from last year and there was an incident in March, but that's still an open case and we've been waiting six months for those charges to be filed," he said.

"And it's finally here and that's why I have [attorney] Harvey Steinberg for," Marshall said.

Steinberg was in court and didn't immediately return a message. Broncos coach Mike Shanahan declined to comment.

Marshall was arrested March 6 on a domestic violence warrant requested by the former girlfriend. He was released the next day after posting $1,000 bond.

It was his third arrest in about a year.

In March 2007, he was arrested in Douglas County, south of Denver, when a woman identified as his girlfriend said he used his vehicle to block her taxi as she tried to leave after an argument. That case was dismissed.

In October 2007, he was arrested in Denver on suspicion of driving under the influence. He pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of driving while ability-impaired last week and was sentenced to a year of probation.

The arrests caught the attention of NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, who met with Marshall in August and then suspended him for three games. That was later reduced to one game, the Broncos' season opener at Oakland.

Marshall bounced back against San Diego last Sunday with a club-record 18-catch game. He had 166 yards and a touchdown, earning him AFC Offensive Player of the Week honors.

"I'm excited about this year, footballwise and my career and excited at the direction I'm going in as a person and as an organization," Marshall said. "I'm happy right now."

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league was aware of the allegations in the Atlanta incident at the time it suspended Marshall, prior to the start of this season. He added that Marshall could face more disciplinary action from the league, depending on the outcome of the case.

"We have been aware of these potential charges," Aiello said. "We will continue to monitor the case and review it under our policy as appropriate."

Marshall played Sunday against the San Diego Chargers, catching 18 passes for 166 yards and a touchdown in the Broncos' controversial come-from-behind win.

LRtagger
09-19-2008, 05:53 AM
http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21865

also in the offseason rumors thread

Timmy!
09-19-2008, 07:17 AM
Lame. Let the young man live his life and correct his bad choices.

Mike
09-19-2008, 08:07 AM
Any chances this guy is a Chuggers fan? :confused: :laugh:

I am not too concerned about this. I don't think Marshall will face any additional punishment for events in the past especially related to his whacked out ex.

broncofaninfla
09-19-2008, 08:35 AM

sad but true

Nick
09-19-2008, 11:22 AM
His ex, is bad news. I am not worried about league action because it is a previous incident a while back and the charges are most likely stemming from her seeking money. I am sure this will become a civil suit...

Marshall should be charged with assaulting the Chargers’ secondary because he absolutely abused them!

Kaylore
09-19-2008, 01:22 PM
His ex, is bad news.[/SIZE]
Understatement. Sadly, I've been "there" when it comes to crazy ex girlfriend's who want revenge and won't leave you alone. :painkiller:

Broncolingus
09-19-2008, 03:29 PM
His ex, is bad news. I am not worried about league action because it is a previous incident a while back and the charges are most likely stemming from her seeking money. I am sure this will become a civil suit...

...that was funny.