PDA

View Full Version : Mora leaves Denver without deal

PAINTERDAVE
01-19-2011, 12:51 AM
Mora leaves Denver without deal

Tweet from Lindsey Jones of the Denver Post that Mora had spent the day, but has now left Denver without a deal in place.

underrated29
01-19-2011, 12:53 AM
Bring on the Mangina!

sneakers
01-19-2011, 12:55 AM
Dang! I already told my coworker he was the new D-coach....now he will think I am a liar.

Ziggy
01-19-2011, 01:09 AM
I'm still not sold on Mora, but I think we're better served to move to a 4-3 with our current personnel. I'm interested to see who else interviews.

PAINTERDAVE
01-19-2011, 01:11 AM
I thought Mora was a definite 4-3 guy...

I wonder if maybe the Broncos want to stick to the 3-4...
and that is why Mora walked?

PAINTERDAVE
01-19-2011, 01:11 AM
Dang! I already told my coworker he was the new D-coach....now he will think I am a liar.

Are your pants on fire?

EMB6903
01-19-2011, 01:46 AM
Mangini in Denver would be great.

That dude knows the game inside out and has clearly proven himself to be a great defensive mind, actually one of the best in the league.

Im hoping Denver takes a look at him and he considers Denver as a potential destination.

Magnificent Seven
01-19-2011, 02:26 AM
Mangini sucks!

Bring Perry Fewell in!

dogfish
01-19-2011, 02:47 AM
later, dood. . .

Bosco
01-19-2011, 03:46 AM

That dude knows the game inside out and has clearly proven himself to be a great defensive mind, actually one of the best in the league.

Im hoping Denver takes a look at him and he considers Denver as a potential destination.

I would be happy with Mangini running the defense.

jrelway
01-19-2011, 08:22 AM
im glad Mora left without a deal. looking through his past track records that a member posted up the other day, his defense was really never that good.

Juriga72
01-19-2011, 08:29 AM
So now we are getting turned down by guys...... yikes.

I'm sure they invited Mora just to fill out the hiring process

Dirk
01-19-2011, 08:38 AM
I am just hoping that we get someone that is decent. I'm sorry but I don't like "wink".

rcsodak
01-19-2011, 09:27 AM
I don't fault wink. He played with the hand dealt him. His players even said he knew what he was doing, and had them in the correct places to stop the plays. They just didn't execute. I wouldn't be upset if they gave him a 2nd yr, with better players...and maybe a better hand.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

BroncoStud
01-19-2011, 10:11 AM

Players do not like Mangini, I don't know why we would want that sort of guy in Denver. Players love Mora. I don't think Denver wants ANYTHING to do with the Patriot-Way again.

Mike
01-19-2011, 10:16 AM
Bye.

BroncoStud
01-19-2011, 10:50 AM
I don't fault wink. He played with the hand dealt him. His players even said he knew what he was doing, and had them in the correct places to stop the plays. They just didn't execute. I wouldn't be upset if they gave him a 2nd yr, with better players...and maybe a better hand.

Ya, Wink was awesome... :elefant:

GEM
01-19-2011, 11:01 AM
The radio report this morning is the next guy they are looking at is the GB Defensive line coach...the guy that Dog likes, Mike Trgovac.

G_Money
01-19-2011, 11:25 AM
dog and i are on the same page there. Trgovac is a DL machine who gets a lot of pressure from the front 4 (which is a key to me in a 4-3 D) and he was DC under Fox in Carolina during their best years.

He only left Carolina because he was gonna be paid significantly more as a DL coach under Capers than as a DC - the Panthers got REALLY cheap with the staff.

Now that he's had a couple of seasons with Capers he might be able to bring the 3-4 here if we wanted it as well.

I'd prefer him to Mora.

~G

TXBRONC
01-19-2011, 11:40 AM

Can anyone that plays an oboe really be trusted? :suspicious: :D

Superchop 7
01-19-2011, 11:40 AM
The radio report this morning is the next guy they are looking at is the GB Defensive line coach...the guy that Dog likes, Mike Trgovac.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________

No SHIT ?

:elefant:

Superchop 7
01-19-2011, 11:41 AM
dog and i are on the same page there. Trgovac is a DL machine who gets a lot of pressure from the front 4 (which is a key to me in a 4-3 D) and he was DC under Fox in Carolina during their best years.

He only left Carolina because he was gonna be paid significantly more as a DL coach under Capers than as a DC - the Panthers got REALLY cheap with the staff.

Now that he's had a couple of seasons with Capers he might be able to bring the 3-4 here if we wanted it as well.

I'd prefer him to Mora.

~G

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________

I thought it was personal.

If it isn't.

Get him.

GEM
01-19-2011, 11:59 AM
It may be why it is taking longer, since GB is still playing.

TXBRONC
01-19-2011, 12:15 PM

If we get him I hope he's as good as Dog thinks he will be.

rcsodak
01-19-2011, 12:16 PM
Wannstadt

dogfish
01-19-2011, 12:28 PM
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________

I thought it was personal.

If it isn't.

Get him.

chop, i've always had the feeling it wasn't. . . IIRC, a good chunk of carolina's coaching staff left that year-- i'm guessing that G's comment about ownership getting cheap is probably accurate. . .

i also think there was some tension between the defensive staff and julius peppers, because that was the time he said he'd like to play in the 3-4. . .

Defensive coordinator Mike Trgovac joined Carolina's mass exodus of assistant coaches Thursday, turning down a contract offer to remain on coach John Fox's dwindling staff.

Trgovac's surprising departure came the same day secondary coach Tim Lewis accepted a similar position with the Seattle Seahawks. Fox has lost five assistants since the Panthers' upset playoff loss to Arizona on Jan. 10.

Trgovac informed Fox and general manager Marty Hurney of his decision at Senior Bowl practices in Mobile, Ala.

Peppers' position coach, Sal Sunseri, also left this week for Alabama after seven seasons with the Panthers.

The other departures were for clear promotions. Linebackers coach Ken Flajole left after six seasons in Carolina to become defensive coordinator of the St. Louis Rams. Quarterbacks coach Mike McCoy, who had spent nine seasons with the Panthers, was hired as the Denver Broncos' offensive coordinator.

All the assistant coaches were working under contracts that expired after this season. The team is trying to secure new deals with the rest of the staff, including offensive coordinator Jeff Davidson.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/2009/01/23/pro_508785.shtml

Trgovac was offered a two-year extension earlier this week - and had indicated he was remaining with the team - but he informed general manager Marty Hurney and head coach John Fox on Thursday morning that he had a change of heart.

http://www.sportinglife.com/nfl/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=international_feed/09/01/22/GRIDIRON_USA-Carolina.html

with his star player causing problems, maybe a two-year extension wasn't enough to keep him-- especially if it was a low ball offer. . .

Trgovac told the Charlotte Observer Friday that his decision was not an indication he left the Panthers on bad terms.

Trgovac, who worked under Panthers coach John Fox for seven seasons including the last six as defensive coordinator, said he had every intention of accepting Carolina’s contract extension offer. But after much deliberation he decided to go in a different direction.

"I just wanted a fresh start," Trgovac told the Observer. "That's all. That's really what it came down to.

"I had been there seven years. In coaching, that's a lifetime. I just thought it was best if I did this at this time."

Trgovac denied reports that his departure, along with that of several other members of the defensive coaching staff, was related to hard feelings about the Panthers delaying to offer contract extensions.

"What this thing looks like is not really what it is with everybody on the defensive side of the ball going to other places," Trgovac said. "I know what the outside people are probably saying. I can't speak for other people, but this was not something from my perspective that had anything to do with contracts or anything else."

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/2009/01/trgovac-leaves-panthers-on-good-terms.html

when they say it's not about the money, it's probably about the money. . . .

arapaho2
01-19-2011, 12:46 PM

yet those basicaly same players...minus the supposed improvements like bannon and williams...were the 7th ranked total defense a year before under nolan:confused:

weird how that works:lol:

jhildebrand
01-19-2011, 01:04 PM
The more I learn about Trgovac the more I seem to like him.

underrated29
01-19-2011, 01:58 PM
The more I learn about Trgovac the more I seem to like him.

I think we should call him TIGER for short!

Someone posted how it is pronounced. I cant remember but it was close to

Tre-guh-vic or something.

I still like Tiger!

Trgo's Tigers, Rawr.

TXBRONC
01-19-2011, 02:05 PM
Since they didn't hire Mora I wonder it had anything to do with what kind of scheme Fox wants to run:questionmark: :ponder:

Ravage!!!
01-19-2011, 02:36 PM
I like how someone suggested that it was Mora that "walked" as if he was turning down the job. We didn't hire HIM. He either didn't impress enough to get the job, or, not enough to get the job on the spot. Doesn't mean he can't be hired later.

Someone mentioned Fewell. He can't come to Denver as the DC unless he's no longer under contract with NY. So Fewell isn't coming, and CAN'T come to Denver as the DC.. by rule (I know most of you know this).

I also find it funny there are some that will just give ANYONE a 2 year contract!! :lol: Even when they've proved to be failures.
I still think the 43 is the way to go, but am curious to see teh hire.

TXBRONC
01-19-2011, 02:44 PM
I like how someone suggested that it was Mora that "walked" as if he was turning down the job. We didn't hire HIM. He either didn't impress enough to get the job, or, not enough to get the job on the spot. Doesn't mean he can't be hired later.

Someone mentioned Fewell. He can't come to Denver as the DC unless he's no longer under contract with NY. So Fewell isn't coming, and CAN'T come to Denver as the DC.. by rule (I know most of you know this).

I also find it funny there are some that will just give ANYONE a 2 year contract!! :lol: Even when they've proved to be failures.
I still think the 43 is the way to go, but am curious to see teh hire.

It could go either way Rav. Maybe the Broncos said thanks for coming in and will get back to later. Or maybe the Broncos told him they want to stick with a base 3-4 and he said no thanks. Or maybe it was something inbetween.

Ravage!!!
01-19-2011, 02:52 PM
It could go either way Rav. Maybe the Broncos said thanks for coming in and will get back to later. Or maybe the Broncos told him they want to stick with a base 3-4 and he said no thanks. Or maybe it was something inbetween.

eh.. maybe. I don't think they bring in a 43 guy and tell him we want to run the 34, and thus that ends the interview after a full day. He wouldn't have come in for an interview if it was a situation that wasn't going to fit from that basic standpoint. So I don't think it was Mora walking away because we simply are "bound and determined" to be a 34 team.

I dont' have a single thing against Mora... but I just feel the odds are much higher that he came to the interview with an idea of what we were looking for, and he simply didn't wow us, or, we wanted the chance to talk with others.

:beer:

Denver Native (Carol)
01-19-2011, 05:08 PM
Even as he left Denver on Tuesday night without a contract agreement, Jim Mora remains a favorite to become the Broncos new defensive coordinator, according to an NFL source.

Mora, the former head coach of the Atlanta Falcons and Seattle Seahawks, has defensive coordinator offers from both Broncos head coach John Fox and Phildadelphia Eagles coach Andy Reid.

Mora, 49, wants to wait until talking further with Reid until making a final decision. Reid has been vacationing out of the country.

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_17138809?source=rss

silkamilkamonico
01-19-2011, 05:21 PM
---- Jim Mora Jr. Please go to Philadelphia.

BigSarge87
01-19-2011, 05:33 PM
So should we be hoping for GB to lose this weekend so we can interview him ASAP? I went 0-4 on the teams I rooted for last weekend and I want GB to win this weekend, so they will probably lose.

jhildebrand
01-19-2011, 05:38 PM
Jay Glazer tweet
Just got a call from Jim Mora Jr., who said he's decided to take his name out of denver & philly jobs, didn't think they're rt fit rt now

Mora is out, at least for now.

Cugel
01-19-2011, 06:09 PM
Sounds to me as if how much RESPONSIBILITY he will get to design the defense may be a factor. Both Andy Reid and John Fox are defensive coaches so he probably WON'T get anything like full autonomy, but he might find one or the other more congenial to work for.

On the other hand, since he's already worked for Fox for years, his desire to talk to Reid might simply be "how much will you pay me here in Philly as opposed to Denver?" :coffee:

Cugel
01-19-2011, 06:12 PM
Jay Glazer tweet

Mora is out, at least for now.
That could be proof that he wants the freedom to design the defense and with either Fox or Reid he'd be carrying out the HC's scheme rather than implementing his own. He'd be DC in NAME ONLY, and would in fact be a glorified personal assistant to the HC.

He might not like that. If he wants to be a head coach again he has to build a reputation and the only way to do it is to go to a team where he can utilize his own ideas about how to build the defense -- and get the credit if he succeeds.

Here in Denver everybody would assume any improvement in the defense was due to Fox's input. Same in Philly where Andy Reid has coached many powerful defenses over the years. :coffee:

slim
01-19-2011, 06:13 PM
Sounds to me as if how much RESPONSIBILITY he will get to design the defense may be a factor. Both Andy Reid and John Fox are defensive coaches so he probably WON'T get anything like full autonomy, but he might find one or the other more congenial to work for.

On the other hand, since he's already worked for Fox for years, his desire to talk to Reid might simply be "how much will you pay me here in Philly as opposed to Denver?" :coffee:

Reid is not a "defensive coach".

In fact, he has never coached defense. He was an o-line coach for most of his career.

dogfish
01-19-2011, 06:17 PM
Reid is not a "defensive coach".

In fact, he has never coached defense. He was an o-line coach for most of his career.

he's a west coast offense guy from the bill walsh coaching tree-- about as "offensive" as a coaching background can be. . .

slim
01-19-2011, 06:20 PM
he's a west coast offense guy from the bill walsh coaching tree-- about as "offensive" as a coaching background can be. . .

Yeah, and he is fat. Which is also offensive.

underrated29
01-19-2011, 06:20 PM
Bring on the Tiger! Or Mangina!

slim
01-19-2011, 06:21 PM
Mangina!

dogfish
01-19-2011, 06:23 PM
i'm gonna talk to T about getting a "sign mangina" petition going. . .