PDA

View Full Version : Special Teams? More Like Special ED!

DenBronx
09-23-2007, 10:41 PM
HIXON: OK so somebody the other day was trying to explain how Hixon could take it to the house if he had a block or two. I'm sorry i'm just not buying it. In fact ive never bought into the whole Hixon idea. Alot of guys were really high on him last year before he was hurt and all I heard was "OMG!!! Watch out for Hixon, he's going to be a beast!!!" Then BAM he's out for the whole year. He doesn't ever look like a threat in the return game. In fact ID RATHER HAVE SUBWAY BOY BACK. At least Circus Kircus can knock you out. :laugh: Well not really but is there anyone out there that legit in the return game? Bloom? Give one of our guys a try maybe? Selvin Young ( just hold on to the ball)? Bmarsh?

ST COACH: Bob Slowik, what is this guys day job? I dont see any changes. Why not mix things up? Anyone going to light a fire under his ass?

ST CAPTAIN: So Burns is now an assistant. Id really like to see Shanny make a change here. If Slowik doesnt show signs of improvement by our next game the I say give Burns a try. Burns has a long history in special teams. This would allow Slowik to concentrate only on DBs which I think is important. But who is the ST CAPTAIN on the field? Anyone know? Someone needs to take leadership here and not let onside kick bloopers happen like they did against Shoate. Someone needs to keep these guys focused.

Comments???

Do you or would you guys like to see the Broncos make any changes here?

BigBroncLove
09-23-2007, 10:49 PM
I was expecting good things from Hixon this year. Last year, after seeing some film of him in college, and the way the ocaches talked about him, he sounded like a solid prospect. However I will agree with you. The man doesn;t move downfield enough. Great returners like Hester immediately start getting downfield. They find holes while they are getting yards. Hixon dances to much. To much, hop to left and move forward type of crap. The blockign is terrible infront of him, but that is no excuse for poor running IMO. The fumble is just another reason to not like his level of play on ST so far....

As for putting someone in like Selvin in there, I am mildly pessimistic about such transitions. Young from my understanding has never been a return man. It is not easy to just slot someone into the position. That's how you get muffed kicks. Ala Cedric Cobbs last year. Awareness of both people coming downfield, and catching the ball are important. I think Young provides the things you want physically from a returner, but I wouldn;t want him to be fitted into the position unless he had a couple weeks experience catching and fielding kicks in practice.

As for Slowik, I thought the guy should of been canned last year. Some players were held onto (like Andre Hall) only because of how they could contribute to ST in the future (even though Hal ldoesn;t suit up :confused: ). I want to see ST shaken up, and soon. At this pace they may do worse then last year, and that's making a statement, and not the type you want to....

Yeah, ST suck so far, and if it wasn;t for all of last years problems I wouldn;t be to worried about it. But seeing little to no improvement on ST from last year, I'm ready to pull the trigger personally on ST, and call them for what I've seen in 3 games.

DenBronx
09-23-2007, 10:53 PM
At this pace they may do worse then last year, and that's making a statement, and not the type you want to....

Yeah, ST suck so far, and if it wasn;t for all of last years problems I wouldn;t be to worried about it. But seeing little to no improvement on ST from last year, I'm ready to pull the trigger personally on ST, and call them for what I've seen in 3 games.

i didnt think that was possible...until this year of course.

SBboundBRONCOS
09-23-2007, 11:02 PM
I was expecting good things from Hixon this year. Last year, after seeing some film of him in college, and the way the ocaches talked about him, he sounded like a solid prospect. However I will agree with you. The man doesn;t move downfield enough. Great returners like Hester immediately start getting downfield. They find holes while they are getting yards. Hixon dances to much. To much, hop to left and move forward type of crap. The blockign is terrible infront of him, but that is no excuse for poor running IMO. The fumble is just another reason to not like his level of play on ST so far....

As for putting someone in like Selvin in there, I am mildly pessimistic about such transitions. Young from my understanding has never been a return man. It is not easy to just slot someone into the position. That's how you get muffed kicks. Ala Cedric Cobbs last year. Awareness of both people coming downfield, and catching the ball are important. I think Young provides the things you want physically from a returner, but I wouldn;t want him to be fitted into the position unless he had a couple weeks experience catching and fielding kicks in practice.

As for Slowik, I thought the guy should of been canned last year. Some players were held onto (like Andre Hall) only because of how they could contribute to ST in the future (even though Hal ldoesn;t suit up :confused: ). I want to see ST shaken up, and soon. At this pace they may do worse then last year, and that's making a statement, and not the type you want to....

i dont get how you want hixon to move around more . . . .im by no means down on hixon but im not high on him either, i just think he deserves a chance, look at hesters room when he fields the kick people are knocking the gunners and everyone else around and he has at least 10-15 on almost every return.

hixon usually has someone around his ankle so hes trying to get out of that while at the same time avoiding the 2-3 guys in his face. and he sonly had 1 fumble although costly i bet if you put hixon in our return game you wouldnt get much better results maybe on a risk or 2 but not consistently

wandlc
09-23-2007, 11:05 PM
As to Selvin Young's experience as a returner, here are his stats from UT
Speedy, quick and explosive fifth-year running back ... played in 49 career games, starting 16, and rushed 365 times for 1,713 yards (No. 19 on UT's all-time list) and 25 TDs ... also returned 43 kickoffs for 994 yards (23.1 ypr) and a TD and eight punts for 139 yards (17.4 ypr) and two TDs .

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=&url_article_id=2808&change_well_id=2

BigBroncLove
09-23-2007, 11:06 PM
i dont get how you want hixon to move around more . . . .im by no means down on hixon but im not high on him either, i just think he deserves a chance, look at hesters room when he fields the kick people are knocking the gunners and everyone else around and he has at least 10-15 on almost every return.

hixon usually has someone around his ankle so hes trying to get out of that while at the same time avoiding the 2-3 guys in his face. and he sonly had 1 fumble although costly i bet if you put hixon in our return game you wouldnt get much better results maybe on a risk or 2 but not consistently

It's not that he doesn;t move around enough, it's that he doesn't start moving downfield while he's doing it. Watch Hester, or ROssum, or Carr, or some of the better returners IMO in the league. When they get the ball, they make people miss while moving downfield. Hixon on the other hand tends to dance a little. Stays near the same field position, but tries to juke them. That's what I am talking about. By doing that also, it's harder to start accelerating and makes it easier for people moving upfield to tackle him. Speed increases your chance of people being blocked out of the way, or missing the tackle, and something I don't see Hixon using to his advantage (because he has plenty of it). Just my opinion, but that's what I get from watching him.

BigBroncLove
09-23-2007, 11:07 PM
Speedy, quick and explosive fifth-year running back ... played in 49 career games, starting 16, and rushed 365 times for 1,713 yards (No. 19 on UT's all-time list) and 25 TDs ... also returned 43 kickoffs for 994 yards (23.1 ypr) and a TD and eight punts for 139 yards (17.4 ypr) and two TDs .

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=&url_article_id=2808&change_well_id=2

Wow, I had no idea. Were any of his many injuries on ST? if not, I'd say fit him in the lineup, because the kid has speed, vision, and some power...

Watchthemiddle
09-23-2007, 11:08 PM
Wasn't or isn't Slovik the DB coach? :confused:

Either way.....if you have Champ, DJ, and others (starting D) on there how can you fault the coach?

DenBronx
09-23-2007, 11:13 PM

thanks for the stats,

thats why i brought up his name in the first place. i think he's worth a look.

DenBronx
09-23-2007, 11:14 PM
Wasn't or isn't Slovik the DB coach? :confused:

Either way.....if you have Champ, DJ, and others (starting D) on there how can you fault the coach?

he's coaching both special teams AND dbs. imo i think thats too much. special teams is too important to skimp on and needs someones full devotion to it. slowik needs to only coach dbs...he does fine here.

Watchthemiddle
09-23-2007, 11:19 PM
he's coaching both special teams AND dbs. imo i think thats too much. special teams is too important to skimp on and needs someones full devotion to it. slowik needs to only coach dbs...he does fine here.

Maybe that explains why Champ is out there...or Champ wants to be out there.

All I know is thank God Champ has been out there. ;)

DenBronx
09-23-2007, 11:24 PM
Maybe that explains why Champ is out there...or Champ wants to be out there.

All I know is thank God Champ has been out there. ;)

i think champ has saved 2 or 3 touchdowns on special teams already this year. in reality he shouldnt be out there but he said it himself he wants to be out there and more involved. in fact he would play wr if they let him. but having him out there risk a big injury...i really dont like it only for that reason.

shank
09-23-2007, 11:53 PM
i thought scott o' brian was our special teams coach:confused:

shank
09-24-2007, 12:15 AM
i thought scott o' brian was our special teams coach:confused:

yep, yep he is...

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=6955

DenBronx
09-30-2007, 09:16 PM
yep, yep he is...

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=6955

a couple of weeks back it had Slowik listed.

anyhow....hixons still a problem.

SBboundBRONCOS
09-30-2007, 09:41 PM
a couple of weeks back it had Slowik listed.

anyhow....hixons still a problem.

i can agree with that now he had plenty of timeto run kicks but he moved side to side way too much instead of full speed straight ahead

Uncle Buck
09-30-2007, 09:44 PM
"Special Teams?" What special teams? Anytime you have to bring in our star corner to help out these the so-called "special teams," I have to wonder.

1. Is it just my bad memory, or when was the last time we saw a ST player actually RETURN the ball much past the 20 yard line (or, much less, actually deliver it back for a TD)?

2. Whenever I see Hixon beat out the touchback (20 yards) in actual return yardage, I think GREAT FIELD POSITION!

3. I think it's a great start when we call for a "fair catch" at the 11 yard line.

4. I've grown accustomed to a rare 30 or 40 yard return being brought back by the flag (always against us).

5. When our kicker lands one in the end zone (touchback for their team) I leap up off the couch and shout "TAKE THAT!!!"

Again, "what special teams?"

Ok, solly... I'm still steamed.

Lonestar
09-30-2007, 10:31 PM
Scott O'Brien
Special Teams Coordinator

Three Changes on Coaching Staff -- January 29, 2007
Broncos TV: Get to Know Scott O'Brien
Get your official Broncos Coaches Polo -- the same one the coaches wear on the sidelines!
Scott O’Brien begins his first season as special teams coordinator for the Denver Broncos in 2007 and his 17th year working in the National Football League. O’Brien, who has instructed special teams in the NFL for 14 seasons and was officially hired by Denver on Jan. 29, 2007, has 25 years of coaching experience at the professional and collegiate levels.

O’Brien joined the Broncos after spending the previous two seasons as the Miami Dolphins’ coordinator of football operations/assistant to the head coach. In that capacity, he handled special assignments from Head Coach Nick Saban and assisted the club’s personnel department.

Widely regarded as one of the league’s top special teams coaches, O’Brien coached special teams in the NFL for 14 consecutive seasons with the Cleveland Browns (1991-95), Baltimore Ravens (1996-98) and Carolina Panthers (1999-2004). His six-year stint instructing the Panthers’ special teams also included additional responsibilities as the club’s assistant head coach.

O’Brien’s special teams units have accounted for a total of 31 scores other than field goals and extra points in his 14 seasons in the NFL. This figure includes 16 punt returns for touchdowns, nine kickoff returns for touchdowns, three fake two-point conversions, one fake field goal for a touchdown, one blocked punt for a touchdown and one blocked field goal for a touchdown.

O’Brien, who was named NFL Special Teams Coach of the Year by his peers in 1994, also has helped six different players earn a total of 10 trips to the Pro Bowl as an NFL special teams coach. He has coached at least one player to Pro Bowl honors on special teams in eight different seasons, including a span of six consecutive years from 1998-2003.

O’Brien also has coached three of the 11 players in NFL history who have scored two punt return touchdowns in the same game in Eric Metcalf (1993), Jermaine Lewis (2000) and Steve Smith (2002). His special teams also were the most recent unit in the NFL to have two different players score touchdowns on back-to-back kickoff returns when Baltimore’s Corey Harris and Patrick Johnson did so vs. Minnesota on Dec. 13, 1998.

As the Panthers’ assistant head coach/special teams from 1999-2004, O’Brien’s group tied for the NFL lead with 11 returns for touchdowns on special teams and posted a league-high six kickoffs returned for touchdowns. Carolina also allowed the lowest opponent kickoff return average (19.8 yds.) in the NFL over those six seasons and was one of only two clubs in the league not to allow a kickoff return for a touchdown.

Carolina punter Todd Sauerbrun earned three consecutive Pro Bowl and Associated Press All-Pro selections under O’Brien from 2001-03, posting the highest three-year gross punting average (45.9 yds.) in NFL history. Sauerbrun led the NFC in gross punting average (44.6 yds.) for the third consecutive year in 2003 while working with O’Brien, whose special teams that season allowed the fourth-lowest average on kickoff returns (20.4 yds.) in the NFL to help the Panthers advance to Super Bowl XXXVIII.

In addition, O’Brien instructed a Panthers special teams in 2003 that accounted for the NFL’s first blocked extra-point attempt at the end of regulation to send a game into overtime during a 12-9 win at Tampa Bay on Sept. 14, 2003.

O’Brien coached Carolina rookie Steve Smith to Pro Bowl and first-team All-Pro honors (AP) in 2001 for his play on special teams. The wide receiver posted an NFL-best three touchdowns on returns (2 kickoff, 1 punt) that year and ranked second in the league with a 25.6-yard kickoff return average. Panthers running back Michael Bates enjoyed similar success on special teams under O’Brien from 1999-2000, tying for an NFL high with three kickoffs returned for touchdowns during that time to earn Pro Bowl recognition each year.

As the Ravens’ special teams coach from 1996-98, O’Brien led a unit that ranked second in the NFL with six special-teams return scores during that time, including four on punt returns to tie for the league lead. Baltimore had the league’s fourth-best punt return average (11.9 yds.) in those three seasons and sent two players to the Pro Bowl. Wide receiver Jermaine Lewis tied for the NFL lead with two punt returns for touchdowns and ranked fifth in the league with a 12.7-yard punt return average in 1998 to earn Pro Bowl honors while safety Bennie Thompson also earned all-star recognition that year for his special-teams coverage ability.

O’Brien began his NFL coaching career with the Cleveland Browns, overseeing the club’s special teams from 1991-95. During that time, the Browns tied for the NFL lead in special-teams return scores with eight (7 punt, 1 kickoff) while ranking fifth in punt return average (10.4 yds.). Cleveland placed fourth in the league in both opponent punt (7.3 yds.) and kickoff (18.7 yds.) return average during those five seasons as the only team in the NFL to not allow a special-teams return touchdown over that period.

With the Browns, O’Brien coached Eric Metcalf on special teams and helped the running back total the most punt return touchdowns (4) in the NFL and rank third in punt return average (11.4 yds.) from 1993-94 to earn Pro Bowl honors in each of those seasons. O’Brien’s special teams also accounted for the first two-point conversion in NFL history when the Browns’ Tom Tupa scored at Cincinnati on Sept. 4, 1994.

O’Brien entered the NFL after coaching the University of Pittsburgh’s special teams from 1987-90. He helped the Panthers advance to two bowl games during that period and coached punter Brian Greenfield to consensus All-America honors in 1990.

At Rice University in 1986, O’Brien worked as its linebackers and special teams coach during a year in which kickoff returner Quentis Roper earned All-Southwest Conference honors. O’Brien also held a similar position at the University of Nevada-Las Vegas from 1983-85.

O’Brien got his start in the coaching profession at his alma mater, the University of Wisconsin-Superior, in 1980 and worked as an assistant coach at the school through 1982. He played linebacker at Wisconsin-Superior and was signed to contracts by the Green Bay Packers and Toronto Argonauts (Canadian Football League) following his collegiate playing career.

O’Brien is married to the former Shawn Kinney, who earned her doctorate degree in psychology from the University of Pittsburgh. He was born June 25, 1957, in Superior, Wis.

DenBronx
10-22-2007, 10:45 PM
so as it looks...not only was the defensive scheme tweaked it seems as if the special teams was also tweaked. guys were laying the wood and blocking better.

i still think shoate is soft and not even fit to play special teams though. he hits like a girl.

broncosfanscott
10-23-2007, 01:24 AM
I watched parts of the game on my DVR and on the kickoff after we tied the game at 7-7, I loved seeing Jamie Winborn (#51) just knockout the returner. That guy need to keep making hits like that. :D