PDA

View Full Version : Any news on Tony Scheffler?

broncosfanscott
09-23-2007, 10:11 PM
Since the season started, I haven't really heard any news on him. Does anybody know how he is doing and when he will be healthy enough to play. Tony and Jay connected very well last year and with him in the mix with our WRs, would definatly help this offense. He would be good for some of those 3rd and 4th down situations as well as spreading out our offense and giving defenses more to think about.

DenBronx
09-23-2007, 10:14 PM
i have been thinking the same thing the past 3 games. mums the word on this guy, he really creates missmatches for defenses and we could finaly use more of the 2 tight end sets with him in the game. i cant wait to see him back in action...is he still injured or are we just not playing him?

Chidoze
09-23-2007, 10:16 PM
Tony Scheffler.......now lets see.

Do we have a Tony Scheffler on the team...........oh that's right, our #2 TE. (Sarcasm)

As far as I know, he's 100%.

I have no clue as to why he's not getting any playing action.

I dont think his foot could still be bothering him.....:confused:

BigBroncLove
09-23-2007, 10:17 PM
He's comign back for ma foot injury, which is very difficult to do, but he's a worker and young, so I think he'll be back soon. Here's a story on it. I'd like to add, foot injuries arn't something light. It obviously turned the top RB (Alexander) one year from stud to dud. I hope to see him back in the lineup soon. The matchup problems he offers when teamed with Graham were something I was really looking forward to this year, and I don't think Jackson provides near the upside...

http://www.myfoxcolorado.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=4405017&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

Tight end Tony Scheffler has been through this before, clawing his way up the depth chart and eventually serving as fellow rookie Jay Cutler's favorite touchdown target over the final month of last season.

Now, he's fighting his way back into the lineup after missing most of camp while recovering from a broken foot that sent him plummeting back down the depth chart.

"I'm just now starting to feel really confident in my foot and hopefully within the next month I can earn my way back," Scheffler said Wednesday.

Scheffler, who was expected to play a big part in the passing game this year, didn't play in the opener and played ever so briefly Sunday against Oakland. He said he's just starting to get his strength back and is primed to make a big push, though.

"I'm just now getting back to full form and I think I'm at 100 percent, so it's just a matter of working my way back into the lineup through practice, showing the coaches that I want to be out there and that I belong out there," Scheffler said.

Scheffler faces a long road to get back on the same page with Cutler, who threw him four touchdown passes down the stretch last season.

"It's going to come with time. I've got to get back to getting snaps in practice and getting back in there with him. That's the first thing," Scheffler said. "It's not easy. You have to earn your way. And I went down to the bottom and I have to earn my way back up. Similar to like I did last year."

He said his up-and-down rookie season held lessons that are helping him now.

"Definitely, I had a roller-coaster ride last year and so far this year it's been pretty similar," Scheffler said. "But there is one consistent thing that I've learned in my time here and that's that you have to produce in practice and earn your keep, and that's what I'm working on right now."

A lot of teams figure jobs are won and lost in camp, through performance or injury, and it's nearly impossible to unseat a starter once the season begins. In Denver, backups get their chance to prove their worthiness throughout the season.

"I definitely think there's room on the scout team or anywhere in practice to show the coaches what you can do," Scheffler said.

"So, that's where I'm at right now. I was able to show some things at the end of the season last year, what I can do. And hopefully just in time and through hard work and practice, I can get back on the field."

pnbronco
09-23-2007, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the article. I know that Tony is really working hard and it's the injury that has taken longer than he had hoped.

BigBroncLove
09-23-2007, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the article. I know that Tony is really working hard and it's the injury that has taken longer than he had hoped.

IT also sounds like missing all those snaps through TC and the start of the season has effected his timing with Cutler as well.....

I wonder how much time he put in during the offseason with Cutler or anyone else for that matter. He looked so good last year, I can't see him falling so far down the depth chart, even with the injury, unless the coaching staff didn;t think mentally he wasn;t where he needed to be with the offense.

I do hope he gets out there soon though. I like what the Chef brings to the table (pun intended).

Chidoze
09-23-2007, 11:26 PM
So, he's healthy, but out of the rotation.

Hopefully he can get caught up in a hurry, I like the guy and want him to succeed. :salute:

broncosfanscott
09-23-2007, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the article BBL. I like this guy and what he can do and can't wait for him to be healthy and comfortable running on his foot so that he can get his timing back. I was impressed with him in training camp and preseason last year and was bummed that once the season started he wasn't getting a lot of time on the field. Once Cutler came in he was able to show us what he can do.

GEM
09-24-2007, 10:16 AM
He was in on the play where Graham dropped the 4th down pass. I really wish they would shoot him some of the shorter passes. I think since they've paid Graham so much money they are force feeding the passing to him. He's never been that type of TE. Sheffler is...let's use him that way.

Requiem / The Dagda
09-24-2007, 01:08 PM
His injury was worse than advertised. I wouldn't expect him to be at full speed for a few more weeks.