PDA

View Full Version : Champ's INT vs SD would have stood

Italianmobstr7
09-17-2008, 02:24 PM
I haven't seen this posted, but this will close questions about Champ's INT. According to this article, the interception would have stood anyways. Great play by Champ.

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/weblogs/chargers/2008/sep/15/replay-wouldnt-have-helped/?chargers

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said that even if the replay system had been working during the first quarter yesterday, the interception by Denver's Champ Bailey would not have been reversed.

"The ruling on the field would not have changed," Aiello wrote in an e-mail repsonse to several queries. "Replay could have determined only whether or not the pass was complete (but not who possessed it) ... Replay cannot be used in this case to determine who had possession of the ball so the ruling on the field would have stood."

The play in question was a pass from Philip Rivers to Chris Chambers that both Chambers and Bailey appeared to have their hands on. But replays appeared to show that Chambers, by rule, had the ball in his right arm when his left elbow hit the ground. Bailey arose with the ball afterward, though, and ran to the end zone.

After some consultation, the officials ruled that Bailey had intercepted the ball but was down by contact at the 29-yard line.

Chargers coach Norv Turner challenged the call, but it was never reviewed. The replay was available in the booth upstairs but not on the field monitor. After waiting the required two minutes for the feed to be repaired, referee Ed Hochuli explained at the time that the play would stand.

Aiello explained that there was an "issue" with the server (and backup server) that supplies the feed to the field monitor. The issue was fixed with about three minutes to play in the first half. Aiello said a technician from the company that makes the servers will go to Denver this week and that all replay technicians will receive a memo with guidelines for troubleshooting the particular problem should it arise again.

Two local replay technicians are hired by the NFL to work each game

claymore
09-17-2008, 02:27 PM
Good one less thing for chargers fans to whine about. No offense NTL's and Sanlius. :D

NightTrainLayne
09-17-2008, 02:29 PM
Good one less thing for chargers fans to whine about. No offense NTL and Sanlius. :D

:confused:

BigDaddyBronco
09-17-2008, 02:31 PM

NorThernLights or NTL. Sounds correct to me. :coffee:

claymore
09-17-2008, 02:32 PM

I fixed it for you. :D

NightTrainLayne
09-17-2008, 02:35 PM
I fixed it for you. :D

Ohhh. . . Right. . . that apostrophe and S at the end makes all the difference. . .

:laugh:

Denver Native (Carol)
09-17-2008, 03:05 PM
It is good to see what the problem with the replay equipment really was. On the fan forum area on the SD team site, the Broncos were getting accused of pulling a New England :tsk:

Buff
09-17-2008, 04:56 PM
I thought Mike Pereira's explanation made them sound even more incompetent-- he said that a "broken disk in the hard drive led to the failure." But then he also mentioned that they were able to "reboot" the equipment at halftime...

He makes it sound like they're using 1995 Apple computers for replay and some hack is trying to operate it.

NameUsedBefore
09-17-2008, 05:15 PM
I thought Mike Pereira's explanation made them sound even more incompetent-- he said that a "broken disk in the hard drive led to the failure." But then he also mentioned that they were able to "reboot" the equipment at halftime...

He makes it sound like they're using 1995 Apple computers for replay and some hack is trying to operate it.

That's probably right since Macs don't play games.

omac
09-17-2008, 05:59 PM
Good one less thing for chargers fans to whine about. No offense NTL's and Sanlius. :D

I want them to whine. If they didn't whine, would they really be Chargers fans? j/k :D