PDA

View Full Version : Broncos sign WR Clifford Russell

Denver Native (Carol)
09-17-2008, 02:05 PM
email received from Mania:

The Denver Broncos on Wednesday signed free-agent wide receiver Clifford Russell, Head Coach Mike Shanahan announced.

Russell is a sixth-year player who originally joined the Broncos as a future-contract signee on Dec. 31 and competed with the club in training camp before he was waived on Aug. 30.

He tied for the Broncos’ lead in receptions and returned two kickoffs for 49 yards in the preseason.

topscribe
09-17-2008, 02:10 PM
Actually, it seemed we saw more from him in preseason than we did Colbert.
You think, maybe, the Broncos jettisoned the bigger contract for the better
player? Just a thought . . .

-----

Tebow4Ever
09-17-2008, 02:11 PM
Will he even see the field?

Italianmobstr7
09-17-2008, 02:12 PM
Actually, it seemed we saw more from him in preseason than we did Colbert.
You think, maybe, the Broncos jettisoned the bigger contract for the better
player? Just a thought . . .

-----

Usually we don't, but I think that this time we did. Oh well. I like Russell and think that he outperformed Colbert during pre-season. Wonder who we'll replace him with on the practice squad.

BroncoJoe
09-17-2008, 02:13 PM
Will he even see the field?

With the emergence of Royal and Hall, maybe Shanahan doesn't want them returning kicks anymore?

Denver Native (Carol)
09-17-2008, 02:13 PM
He may be used to return kickoffs.

topscribe
09-17-2008, 02:17 PM
With the emergence of Royal and Hall, maybe Shanahan doesn't want them returning kicks anymore?

That would seem a possibility.

Shanny historically has not liked to have starters consistently return kicks.

-----

G_Money
09-17-2008, 02:26 PM
Usually we don't, but I think that this time we did. Oh well. I like Russell and think that he outperformed Colbert during pre-season. Wonder who we'll replace him with on the practice squad.

Russell wasn't on the practice squad. He was just sitting around looking for work. He has too many years in the league to be on the PS.

And I don't think it's a bad thing to get another returner in here to fill both roles - you know, since we bailed on Hixon. Royal's our #2 wideout and Hall's probably our best back. Since we can't make the other team punt I'm not that worried about Royal running em back, but I'd hate to see Hall go down before his time, especially since both he and Young have durability questions.

Gotta keep those backs healthy.

I like Russell fine as a 5th wideout. In our system with RBs catching the ball and two TEs doin the same he's exceedingly unlikely to see the field as a wide receiver. He's here for emergency backup in case of disaster and as a ST guy.

I'd rather pay him pennies for that than hand over millions to Colbert for similar field time.

And we got a draftpick too.

~G

honz
09-17-2008, 03:29 PM
Any Ute is okay in my book. Welcome home Cliff.

hamrob
09-17-2008, 06:58 PM
Should help the return game. He looked good in the preseason on kick returns. He might be able to help out as a gunner as well.

I don't know about you all...but watching Champ and Scheff out there on special teams scares the bejeebees out of me!

Superchop 7
09-17-2008, 07:51 PM
Rather have Caulcrick from the practice squad of the jets.

I "want" Royal returning kicks. (wouldn't have minded Alridge in this situation)

I want a monster (Caulcrick) running the ball in the red-zone.

Rather have a young guy with a huge upside.

Russell will be there if we need him in a pinch. (nobody else is picking him up)

Royal improves the return game. (Why go backwards ?)

Caulcrick improves the red zone. (F=MA)

frauschieze
09-17-2008, 08:26 PM
Pittman seems to be handling the red zone and goal line just fine. Why pick up another RB when Torain should be coming back in a few weeks? :confused:

Superchop 7
09-17-2008, 08:39 PM
Pittman seems to be handling the red zone and goal line just fine. Why pick up another RB when Torain should be coming back in a few weeks? :confused:

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

We have been living with "just fine" for too long. (talking red-zone here)

I want "beast"

This guy is the real deal.

frauschieze
09-17-2008, 08:47 PM
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

We have been living with "just fine" for too long.

I want "beast"

Uh......just fine has gotten us a touchdown this year when asked. It's not like last year. And Torain might very well be the "beast" you're looking for. Now I haven't seen Caulcrick play, so I don't know what all he brings to the table but I don't see the timing being right to bring in another RB at the moment. Torain was important enough to Shanahan to keep on the roster and not put him on IR. That says a lot to me.

MOtorboat
09-17-2008, 08:56 PM
Michael Pittman has three touchdowns. That's very good red zone running. I think blah blah blah is stuck in last year.

claymore
09-17-2008, 09:01 PM
Yeah I think Pittman is better game time than practice Like G said earlier today.

Superchop 7
09-17-2008, 09:08 PM
Uh......just fine has gotten us a touchdown this year when asked. It's not like last year. And Torain might very well be the "beast" you're looking for. Now I haven't seen Caulcrick play, so I don't know what all he brings to the table but I don't see the timing being right to bring in another RB at the moment. Torain was important enough to Shanahan to keep on the roster and not put him on IR. That says a lot to me.

Jehuu Caulcrick is an absolutely massive specimen of a running back. The Michigan State senior has proved to be a rather valuable asset on the goal line this year. Caulcrick rushed for 813 yards and 21 TDs and averaged 3.93 yards per carry. His yards per carry average was down this year from his career 4.5 mark. He has gained 2336 yards for his career so far and has caught 26 passes for 233 yards. His 39 career touchdowns leaves him 1 touchdown away from averaging 10 per year. Caulcrick runs low to the ground for a 6'0", 255 lbs. running back. He runs with tremendous power and always lowers his shoulder and delivers a hit at the end of his runs. Caulcrick has a similar style to New York Giants running back Brandon Jacobs

MOtorboat
09-17-2008, 09:09 PM

Jehuu Caulcrick is an absolutely massive specimen of a running back. The Michigan State senior has proved to be a rather valuable asset on the goal line this year. Caulcrick rushed for 813 yards and 21 TDs and averaged 3.93 yards per carry. His yards per carry average was down this year from his career 4.5 mark. He has gained 2336 yards for his career so far and has caught 26 passes for 233 yards. His 39 career touchdowns leaves him 1 touchdown away from averaging 10 per year. Caulcrick runs low to the ground for a 6'0", 255 lbs. running back. He runs with tremendous power and always lowers his shoulder and delivers a hit at the end of his runs. Caulcrick has a similar style to New York Giants running back Brandon Jacobs

He's also done precisely dick this year, while Michael Pittman has three red zone touchdowns.

Superchop 7
09-17-2008, 09:10 PM

( A little info, 21 TD's is a school record)

MOtorboat
09-17-2008, 09:15 PM

( A little info, 21 TD's is a school record)

Thanks for the college scouting report. There's a reason he's on no one's roster.

Superchop 7
09-17-2008, 09:28 PM
Pittman had 3 shots from the 2......made none of them, in fact, he made a total of 1 yard on 3 carries.

His TD came from the 1 yard line.

Not exactly a beast in my book.

MOtorboat
09-17-2008, 09:39 PM
Pittman had 3 shots from the 2......made none of them, in fact, he made a total of 1 yard on 3 carries.

His TD came from the 1 yard line.

Not exactly a beast in my book.

Um...again...he's got three touchdowns in two games, while this random dude from Michigan State got cut after preseason...I'm not really sure what your point is...

Superchop 7
09-17-2008, 09:43 PM
My point is this, F=MA.

MOtorboat
09-17-2008, 09:49 PM
My point is this, F=MA.

Well, then...that certainly explains it.

nevcraw
09-17-2008, 09:49 PM

We have been living with "just fine" for too long. (talking red-zone here)

I want "beast"

This guy is the real deal.

hence his current assignment on the Jet's PS. :confused:

Krugan
09-17-2008, 09:55 PM
Well uhmmm yea, okay sure.

Didnt make it the first go round...

Our D just gave up almost 400 yards passing, with 38 points attached.

Isnt there someone out there that could do something, I mean tackle or rush or yea Clifford, great fit where we need it.

BANJOPICKER1
09-18-2008, 04:29 PM
He's also done precisely dick this year, while Michael Pittman has three red zone touchdowns.
I agree, Pittman is doing his job and doing it well and I dont see any need in removing him.:D

GOOOOOOOOO BRONCOS!!:salute: