PDA

View Full Version : Broncos 2011 Staff Thread...

HORSEPOWER 56
01-17-2011, 10:38 AM
MODS... Please Sticky This!

Okay, I'm totally confused by all the assorted threads about our new assistants... who we're looking at and who, if any, we've hired. I figure one thread to consolidate all the speculation, links, and potential candidates would be good. This is what we're looking at, as far as I know:

HC: John Fox
OC: Mike McCoy
DC: Dennis Allen
ST: Jeff Rodgers
WR: Tyke Tolbert
QB: Adam Gase
RB: Eric Studesville
OL: Dave Magazu
TE: Clancy Barone
DL: Wayne Nunnely
LB: Richard Smith
DB: Ron Milus

Well, here it is... your 2011 Broncos coaching staff! Welcome Gentlemen, return the :defense: to Denver!

dunk7
01-17-2011, 10:59 AM
Sounds like Mora is going to Philly but that McDermott will become our DC.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-17-2011, 11:09 AM
More updates I've found. Looks like Magazu and Tolbert are official now as is Studesville returning as RBs coach. Mike Gillhamer looks to be taking over for Ed Donatell (who went to SF) with the DBs.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17115556

PAINTERDAVE
01-17-2011, 11:29 AM
Sounds like Mora is going to Philly but that McDermott will become our DC.

This is what I have heard as well..
McDermott...
McDermott is a 1993 graduate of La Salle College High School, where he was named All-Southeastern Pennsylvania at defensive back in 1992. He went on to earn a bachelor's degree in finance while at the College of William and Mary, where he was an all-conference safety (1997), and also receiving Academic all-conference honors in 1996 and 1997, and NSCA Strength and Conditioning All-America accolades.

Coaching career -
McDermott originally joined the Philadelphia Eagles in 1998 as a scouting administrative coordinator, a position he held until being promoted to assistant to the head coach in 1999. He then became defensive quality control coach and later assistant defensive backs coach. In 2003 he replaced Steve Spagnuolo as defensive backs coach, as Spagnuolo was assigned linebackers coach. In 2004, McDermott saw both of his starting safeties (Brian Dawkins and Michael Lewis) earn Pro Bowl berths for the first time in team history. Under McDermott's watch, Dawkins went on to earn two more Pro Bowl berths following the 2005 and 2006 seasons.

In 2007, McDermott was assigned linebackers coach, after Spagnuolo had left to take the defensive coordinator job for the New York Giants. On January 28, 2008, Eagles head coach Andy Reid named McDermott secondary coach again.

On May 18, 2009, McDermott was named the interim defensive coordinator as a result of defensive coordinator Jim Johnson's medical leave of absence. On July 24, 2009, due to the continuing decline of Johnson, the Eagles announced McDermott would take over as full time defensive coordinator. Johnson died on July 28, 2009. McDermott implemented a variety of blitzes in his defense, thanks in part to his mentor, former Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Johnson.

McDermott was fired as the defensive coordinator on January 15, 2011.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-17-2011, 11:38 AM
Danny Smith has turned us down for the STs coach position and is staying in Washington...

http://www.csnwashington.com/01/17/11/Redskins-Smith-turns-down-Denver-offer/landing.html?blockID=392666&feedID=272

Damn, I was hoping he could take the bad "special" out of our STs...

dogfish
01-17-2011, 12:34 PM
i'm guessing skipper will be assistant head coach/offense. . . .

not happy with our DC options. . .

TXBRONC
01-17-2011, 12:37 PM
MODS... Please Sticky This!

Okay, I'm totally confused by all the assorted threads about our new assistants... who we're looking at and who, if any, we've hired. I figure one thread to consolidate all the speculation, links, and potential candidates would be good. This is what we're looking at, as far as I know:

HC: John Fox
OC: Mike McCoy
DC:
ST:
WR: Tyke Tolbert
QB: Adam Gase
RB: Eric Studesville
OL: Dave Magazu
TE:
DL:
LB:
DB: Mike Gillhamer

Potentials

-I know we've talked to Sean McDermott and Jim Mora Jr for DC
-We've been in conact with Sal Sunseri for either DC or DL coach
-Jim Skipper looks to be coming here to help manage game time duties?
-We've lost Ed Donatell to SF and he's been replaced by Gillhamer
-I've read somewhere that Nunnely is interviewing with Rivera in Carolina to be his D-line coach meaning we'll need a new one.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17101816?source=rss

Please post updates here so we can make it easy to reference what changes have been made! Thanks!

I read just today that Nunnely expressed an interest in staying. So it might depend on what Rivera is offering.

TXBRONC
01-17-2011, 12:39 PM

McDermott might be a good choice. The defense wasn't quite as good under him as it was under Johnson but they were still were very respectable.

underrated29
01-17-2011, 12:47 PM
I like mcdermott. The eagles had a great D under jimbo, and mcdermott learned a lot from him. He ran a good D also.

Buuuut.... Does this mean we are going to switch back to the 43? I do not know if mcdermott can call the 34, but I would like to see him try. One thing about his defense is it is fast and good but it is also rather soft. If a team lines up and takes it to them, they can fold. I think in the 34 he might have some more mean beef.

We could do worse than him though.

broncofaninfla
01-17-2011, 12:48 PM
McDermott would indicate a switch back to 4/3 IMO

TXBRONC
01-17-2011, 12:51 PM
I wouldn't assume that it means we would switch back. Rivera started off with the 4-3 in Chicago and when he got to San Diego they stayed with the 3-4.

CoachChaz
01-17-2011, 01:04 PM
McDermott learned from one of the best and quite honestly, I think any pitfalls he experienced had a lot to do with being forced into the position under bad circumstances and dealing with a lot of injuries as well. The personnel under McDermott was not the same personnel JJ was working with. I'd be okay with adding McDermott as the DC

silkamilkamonico
01-17-2011, 01:15 PM
I have heard that Philadelphia was one of the worst defenses of all time in the redzone this year, which was mainly one of the main reasons he was fired. ANyone know that for sure?

shank
01-17-2011, 01:21 PM
I have heard that Philadelphia was one of the worst defenses of all time in the redzone this year, which was mainly one of the main reasons he was fired. ANyone know that for sure?

yes.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-red-zone-scoring-pct

don't like this much either. (http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2011/1/17/1939986/some-eagles-players-wanted-sean-mcdermott-gone)

Elevation inc
01-17-2011, 01:23 PM

why???? didnt the eagles have the 12th ranked defense and mcdermott got fired for it, seems we could do alot worse than pull a guy from jim johnson's coaching styles......who owned the 12th ranked defense...heck wink owned the 32nd and people wanted him to stay...lol.....seems like its just a bad year for needing coaches....thanks josh you dooshbag....lol

silkamilkamonico
01-17-2011, 01:29 PM
don't like this much either. (http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2011/1/17/1939986/some-eagles-players-wanted-sean-mcdermott-gone)

Wow that is really bad. PLease a big hell no to this guy.

shank
01-17-2011, 01:32 PM
yes.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-red-zone-scoring-pct

2nd article states that the eagles had the worst redzone defense in the NFL in the last 22 years.

Rick
01-17-2011, 01:37 PM
We have a defensive HC now, would the DC really be much more than a assistant to the real DC, ie Fox?

BroncoAV06
01-17-2011, 01:38 PM
Just saw on twitter that Fox confrimed McCoy will be back as OC.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

ikillz0mbies
01-17-2011, 01:43 PM
I honestly don't think, if hired, McDermott would be calling the plays on defense. I think Fox is going to do the defensive play calling. Kind of what McCoy did under McDaniels except in this case, vice versa.

camdisco24
01-17-2011, 01:44 PM
Post from the Broncos Facebook

Head Coach John Fox has announced 8 members of his coaching staff; Mike McCoy-Offensive Coordinator, Clancy Barone-Tight Ends, Brian Callahan-Offensive Quality Control, Dave Magazu-Offensive Line, Wayne Nunnely-Defensive Line, Jay Rodgers-Defensive Quality Control, Eric Studesville-Running Backs and Tyke Tolbert-Wide Receivers. Additional appointments will be announced when they are completed.

underrated29
01-17-2011, 02:06 PM
I am glad nunnely and studes are back.

Nun especially. I mean, when you consider the talent of the guys we have playing DL....He got A MUTHER FREAKING LOT OUT OF THEM.!!! Jason hunter, Kevin Vickerson.....These two guys were both cut from teams. One from Detroit and yet they were starters, and played so well that I would like both to return next year for us.

I give Nunnely a hell of a lot of credit for getting those guys to play that well when we nabbed them up on the fly.

honz
01-17-2011, 02:08 PM
Hopefully Wink gets the spot as our DC. I really like him and his game day attire.

Grover
01-17-2011, 02:47 PM
Wink led the 32nd ranked defense last year. It may not have been all his fault, but he isn't coming back because he led his guys to last place.

All that's left in his locker are a couple of wire hangers and a wrinkled tie dye t-shirt.

The Experience
01-17-2011, 03:19 PM
Wayne Nunnely will return as DL coach.

silkamilkamonico
01-17-2011, 03:23 PM
So what does that mean for that Sal Sunseri dude?

CoachChaz
01-17-2011, 03:23 PM
Nunnelly is a stud DL coach. It's the biggest need on the team and with a little talent, I think it can be a strength with this guy coaching it

Ziggy
01-17-2011, 03:24 PM
Dave Magazu is a great hire. Looks like we'll go back to the zone blocking scheme after all.

silkamilkamonico
01-17-2011, 03:26 PM
Dave Magazu is a great hire. Looks like we'll go back to the zone blocking scheme after all.

If so, that puts center as an immediate need.

CoachChaz
01-17-2011, 03:31 PM
If so, that puts center as an immediate need.

i think the ZBS will work better for Walton. Negates him having to go man to man on 340 pound nose tackles as often. Get him out on some LB's and he'll be much more effective

Ziggy
01-17-2011, 03:33 PM
Or we can go hard after pro bowler Ryan Kalil who happens to be a free agent.

silkamilkamonico
01-17-2011, 03:33 PM
I was under the impression that Walton is not very mobile at all, and much better suited for a power scheme. I'm not sure if a lack of mobility is really a good thing for a ZBS center.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-17-2011, 03:50 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. - Mike McCoy is staying on as the Denver Broncos' offensive co-ordinator, providing some continuity for raw rookie quarterback Tim Tebow(notes).

New coach John Fox announced eight members of his new staff Monday, starting with McCoy, who served seven seasons under Fox in Carolina before joining the Broncos as offensive co-ordinator in 2009.

McCoy will call the plays next season.

He didn't call the plays in his two seasons in Denver until coach Josh McDaniels' firing Dec. 6.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=capress-fbn_broncos_coaches-5677833

TXBRONC
01-17-2011, 03:56 PM
John Fox's coaching staff taking shape for Broncos
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post

Posted: 01/17/2011 11:59:41 AM MST
Updated: 01/17/2011 12:17:39 PM MST

The team also confirmed that wide receivers coach Tyke Tolbert and offensive line coach Dave Magazu have joined Fox's staff in the same roles they held on Fox's previous staff at Carolina.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17119470

It also says that Fox did retain services of Nunnely.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-17-2011, 04:27 PM

I agree. Looks like Cancy Barone has been moved to TEs coach. I guess that means Bob Ligashesky was let go. I thought he was supposed to be good? Wasn't he supposedly the guy responsible for Antonio Gates in SD?

BTW, here's the latest list (it has definitely changed from this morning). You'll notice there's no DC even though Wink was listed on their this morning... STs coach is also vacant.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/football-operations.html

Gase and Gillhamer are also not listed as of yet, nor is Skipper but all are thought to be on the new staff.

dunk7
01-17-2011, 04:58 PM
Read that the Panthers have hired McDermott... http://www.catscratchreader.com/

The Experience
01-17-2011, 05:03 PM
Mora is on his way to Denver for an interview.

Per Jay Glazer's twitter.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-17-2011, 05:04 PM
Read that the Panthers have hired McDermott... http://www.catscratchreader.com/

Yep. Looks like McDermott is off the table.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-17-2011, 05:04 PM
Mora is on his way to Denver for an interview.

Per Jay Glazer's twitter.

Good. I prefer him to McDermott, anyway. :beer::beer:

silkamilkamonico
01-17-2011, 05:09 PM
**** no not Mora anyone but Mora!

dogfish
01-17-2011, 06:07 PM
It also says that Fox did retain services of Nunnely.

solid choice. . . nunnelly did good work in san diego, and has probably done about as much as anyone could with our reject DLs. . . hopefully we get some actual talent this go-round. . .

Ziggy
01-17-2011, 06:36 PM
I'm a little disappointed that we lost out on McDermott. Blending his aggressive style with Fox's solid defensive schemes would have been fun to watch.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-17-2011, 06:47 PM
**** no not Mora anyone but Mora!

Who then would be out there worth pursuing?

HORSEPOWER 56
01-17-2011, 07:15 PM
Who then would be out there worth pursuing?

Trgovac from GB after their postseason ends. Maybe Mangina? I don't know if Mangina would even be interested. Heck, I'm not even sure we're sticking with the 3-4. Our current defense will actually take longer to rebuild if we stick with the 3-4, IMO because we still have no NT depth behind Williams.

dogfish
01-17-2011, 08:34 PM
Trgovac from GB after their postseason ends. Maybe Mangina? I don't know if Mangina would even be interested. Heck, I'm not even sure we're sticking with the 3-4. Our current defense will actually take longer to rebuild if we stick with the 3-4, IMO because we still have no NT depth behind Williams.

we don't have a single good 43 DT on the roster either, any good hand-in-the-dirt rushers besides doom, or any decent candidates for SAM or MIKE 'backer. . . obviously it's purely my opinion, but personally, the idea that we should change our entire defensive scheme just because ****in' mcdaniels didn't get us a decent nose frustrates the hell out of me. . .

can't we just get a NT, instead of starting back at the very beginning yet again? we're keeping nunnelly-- if we stay with the 30 front, we have a chance to continue building on the work he's done with guys like vickerson and thomas, as well as giving our 'backers some continuity. . . you don't always see all the results right away, but some patience might actually pay off. . .

going back to the 43 isn't some magic bullet that's going to make our personnel look any better. . . getting some better coaching will help (regardless of the front we play!), but what we really need is more talent. . . that's not changing with the 43-- we change, give it a year, we'll be sitting here next january talking about all the holes we need to fill if we want to be any good. . . our lack of impact linemen and pass rushers is going to be weight around our necks in either scheme until we do something about it. . .

and DTs that can hold the point against the run and still get pressure on the QB aren't easier to find than NTs. . . i know NT is tough, but it's not impossible. . . you have to commit to finding one and then do it-- you can't just hope one's going to fall into your lap. . . we could've had terrence cody last year, or dan williams-- we passed. . . passed on brace in '09 as well. . . we've also passed on chances to add players like shaun rogers over the past few years. . .

this year will admittedly be even tougher with the uncertainty regarding free agency, but i wouldn't let it be an excuse. . . guys like paul soliaia and aubrayo franklin will be FAs. . . as far as i'm concerned, we need to be aggressive about filling our top need-- do what other teams do, identify your guy and make a top dollar offer early in the process (like now, preferrably :laugh: ). . . even if the cap returns we'd have tons of room right now-- if you have to overpay a little, it's NOT the end of the world. . . the bears paid a ridiculous price for peppers all things considered, and we'll see how that deal looks over the life of it, but it sure looks pretty good right now-- he has rejuvenated their defense, and they're one game away from the super bowl. . . somebody go ask their fans if they're worried about cap space or the ability to sign more scrubs. . .

if we would make an organizational committment to building a quality 30-front line, we could get it done. . . it's not like trying to find a peyton manning or tom brady, FFS-- we don't need a big name, just a big dude who can two-gap. . .

it's freakin' KILLING me that we're sitting here with all this value in picks in a draft that is absolutely RIFE With potential nasty 3-4 talent, and we're sitting here looking at going back to the 4-3. . .

*sighs*

we could walk away from this draft with multiple guys like marcell dareus, jj watt, cameron heyward, phil taylor, etc-- not flashy, but big nasties that we could build a 3-4 around for the next decade or so. . . instead, we'll probably be talking about edge rushers and fast linebackers. . . not that there aren't quality DL prospects available for the 40 front as well, but gat damn they just don't excite me-- if we do go 43 i pray we can get fairley at #2 so i can at least have something to be excited about on defense. . .

Denver Native (Carol)
01-17-2011, 10:14 PM
Five days after being hired as the Broncos new head coach, John Fox has nearly completed hiring his staff, with the likely addition of Jim Mora as defensive coordinator.

Mora, the former Atlanta and Seattle head coach, traveled to Denver on Monday to meet with Fox.

Other additions are expected to include at least two more members of his Panthers staff, Richard Smith to coach linebackers and Jeff Rodgers as special teams coordinator.

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17120764?source=rss

Buff
01-17-2011, 10:18 PM
full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17120764?source=rss

You beat me to it, but I figured we ought to start a separate thread about it...

Denver Native (Carol)
01-20-2011, 06:21 PM
# Denver has also sought permission to interview saints db coach dennis allen as DC. Plan is to meet w denver 1st then philly this weekend. about 4 hours ago via ÜberTwitter

http://twitter.com/Jay_Glazer

Denver Native (Carol)
01-20-2011, 07:12 PM
# Only positions not yet announced are LBs, DBs .... and, oh yeah, defensive coordinator. 2 minutes ago via TweetDeck

# Gase is the 7th coach from McDaniels' staff retained by Fox. 5 are on offense. 11 minutes ago via TweetDeck

# Team announces Adam Gase is new QBs coach; Jeff Rodgers is special teams coach. 12 minutes ago via ÜberTwitter

http://twitter.com/postbroncos

bcbronc
01-20-2011, 08:22 PM
so we're merging the staffs of the #31 and #32 staff? awesome. :tsk:

:lol:

jhildebrand
01-20-2011, 09:16 PM
Rodgers has been announced as the ST coach and Gase as the QB coach

EDIT: I should have known Carol would beat me to it :salute:

Spiritguy
01-25-2011, 02:26 PM
DB and LB coaches named:

http://www.facebook.com/DenverBroncos

Denver Broncos: Head Coach John Fox has named [Ron Milus as Secondary Coach and Richard Smith as Linebackers Coach.

Edit: here is a bio (http://prod.www.panthers.clubs.nfl.com/team/coaches/ron-milus/86216cef-e5b4-410c-8566-3abcd11a7e9a) on Milus

Buff
01-25-2011, 02:48 PM
Seven coaches held over from the McDaniels era seems like a high number for a tenure that was viewed as a complete failure.

slim
01-25-2011, 02:51 PM
Seven coaches held over from the McDaniels era seems like a high number for a tenure that was viewed as a complete failure.

It is about money....Pat isn't going to pay 3 head coaches and multiple sets of assistent coaches.

Does this exceed your expections?

BigDaddyBronco
01-25-2011, 02:54 PM

Don't worry Buff, it wasn't the assistants fault it was all McDaniels fault.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-25-2011, 05:13 PM
John Fox's staff is continuing to take shape.

The new Broncos coach added defensive assistants Ron Milus (secondary) and Richard Smith (linebackers) this morning, the team announced on Twitter.

Milus and Smith both had served in those roles under Fox for the past two seasons with the Carolina Panthers.

Smith has coached in the NFL for 23 seasons. He was Houston's defensive coordinator from 2006-08, and held the same position at Miami in 2005.

Smith was the Broncos' special teams coach from 1993-96 and also coached linebackers from 1993-94.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17194213

AND

# Coach Fox has done a great job putting his staff together - Excellent mixture of youth and experience. less than 10 seconds ago via web

# Here at Senior Bowl and have our coaches and scouts together for the first time... 2 minutes ago via web

# We are very excited to have Dennis Allen aboard. Very bright young coach to lead our defense. 4 minutes ago via web

http://twitter.com/johnelway

Spiritguy
01-27-2011, 01:26 PM
a few more assistant coaches to round out the team

Recently hired Denver Broncos head coach John Fox finalized his coaching staff on Thursday, retaining Keith Burns as assistant special teams coach and adding Sam Garnes as assistant secondary coach, the team announced.

Burns has been a special teams coach for the Broncos the past four seasons after playing 13 seasons in the NFL, including 11 with with the Broncos.

Garnes was a special teams assistant on Fox's Carolina Panthers staff this past season. He played seven seasons in the NFL as a safety for the New York Giants (1997-2001) and New York Jets (2002-03). His coaching experience also includes stops in NFL Europe and the UFL.

found here (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81df20fb/article/fox-retains-burns-adds-garnes-to-fill-out-broncos-coaching-staff)