cardoso
01-16-2011, 11:24 PM
I read he'd play anywhere except where its not cold. Ill get link in a bit

Dapper Dan
01-16-2011, 11:25 PM
He will do what he's told!

cardoso
01-16-2011, 11:27 PM
http://m.nbcsports.com/s/3030/proFootballTalkDetails?itemUriVal=6f27ef3e689dad1a 933da986385bda7c%2F600149970101121581110101117&view=hdl&itemTitle=Nick%20Fairley%20will%20play%20anywhere, %20except%20in%20the%20cold

In the pre-draft poking and prodding, the things an incoming rookie says can have as much impact on his eventual placement — and payday — as the things he does.
In declaring his intention to forgo his final year of eligibility at Auburn and head to the NFL, Fairley made an observation about his first NFL destination that some teams could view as a red flag.
Asked where he wants to play at the next level, Fairley said (via Chris Brown of BuffaloBills.com), “It doesn't matter as long as it's not cold."
Um.* Yeah.
Maybe he really didn’t mean it.* Then again, maybe he did.* Either way, the remark will surely be used by any interested team in assessing whether Fairley “gets it” and/or whether he’ll bring a sense of entitlement to the NFL.

BroncoStud
01-16-2011, 11:30 PM
Mr. Fairley, define: Cold

EMB6903
01-16-2011, 11:31 PM
Bowers is going to be the much better player anyways.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-16-2011, 11:36 PM
Bowers is going to be the much better player anyways.

I think Bowers is the player who Cecil Lammey was talking about on the ticket, and said he would take him any day over Fairley.

Agent of Orange
01-16-2011, 11:38 PM
too bad

EMB6903
01-16-2011, 11:40 PM
Prospects need to realize how little comments like that will effect a players draft stock..

Its amazing to think Fairley could lose thousands possibly millions of dollars over saying useless/stupid information like that.

Cugel
01-16-2011, 11:55 PM
http://m.nbcsports.com/s/3030/proFootballTalkDetails?itemUriVal=6f27ef3e689dad1a 933da986385bda7c%2F600149970101121581110101117&view=hdl&itemTitle=Nick%20Fairley%20will%20play%20anywhere, %20except%20in%20the%20cold

In the pre-draft poking and prodding, the things an incoming rookie says can have as much impact on his eventual placement — and payday — as the things he does.
In declaring his intention to forgo his final year of eligibility at Auburn and head to the NFL, Fairley made an observation about his first NFL destination that some teams could view as a red flag.
Asked where he wants to play at the next level, Fairley said (via Chris Brown of BuffaloBills.com), “It doesn't matter as long as it's not cold."
Um.* Yeah.
Maybe he really didn’t mean it.* Then again, maybe he did.* Either way, the remark will surely be used by any interested team in assessing whether Fairley “gets it” and/or whether he’ll bring a sense of entitlement to the NFL.

About the only thing I could think about it is -- perhaps he's signaling to the Carolina Panthers that he wants to be the overall #1 pick. Naturally he'd rather be #1 than #2 because it means a lot more money. :coffee:

Outside that the comment is meaningless and will not make anybody NOT draft him. :coffee:

cardoso
01-17-2011, 12:02 AM
About the only thing I could think about it is -- perhaps he's signaling to the Carolina Panthers that he wants to be the overall #1 pick. Naturally he'd rather be #1 than #2 because it means a lot more money. :coffee:

Outside that the comment is meaningless and will not make anybody NOT draft him. :coffee:

Not really. Teams including the Broncos passed up on Bryant because of stuff like this so it can indeed affect your position.

GEM
01-17-2011, 12:13 AM
Not really. Teams including the Broncos passed up on Bryant because of stuff like this so it can indeed affect your position.

And that was Josh McDaniels doing the drafting, he's no longer here.

PAINTERDAVE
01-17-2011, 12:15 AM
Read the report guys...

he told a BUFFALO NY reporter "not where it is cold."

He might as well have said "I dont want to play for Buffalo"

Every player plays in the cold on away games..
the kid was trying to be funny/diplomatic.

It is NO BIG DEAL.

jhildebrand
01-17-2011, 12:16 AM
Can we all just agree that Cecil Lammy belongs in the same conversation as Josina Anderson.

Lammy back pedals more than a pedal boat. I heard him proclaim so much about McD only to turn around and pretend he was right about him all along.

The guy likes to hear himself talk and that is about all he is good at-talking.

JaxBroncoGirl
01-17-2011, 01:08 AM

Um.* Yeah.

I have a real problem with this. 1. I really want all college players to stay in college to get a degree. 2. This smells of entitlement not just with him but with Scam Newton as well. Remember Scam learned under Tebow, and was almost thrown out of UF because of cheating on test, then goes to a no name college for 1 year then goes to Auburn for only 1 year still no degree in hand. I just think something must change in the college ranks. Does anyone think that players must finish college before going to the NFL? I probably have just opened a can of worms regardless, I would not want either player. Just my opinion which does not mean anything.

ps. Man I love my Sig, MasterShake did this for me and it looks sooooo Coollllll. Thank You.....

Shananahan
01-17-2011, 01:15 AM
Can we all just agree that Cecil Lammy belongs in the same conversation as Josina Anderson.

Lammy back pedals more than a pedal boat. I heard him proclaim so much about McD only to turn around and pretend he was right about him all along.

The guy likes to hear himself talk and that is about all he is good at-talking.
Yes, agreed. He's terrible.

BroncoStud
01-17-2011, 01:45 AM
I would actually prefer Bowers because I think Fairley is a dirty player, and I have a hard time supporting dirty players. I couldn't stand Romanowski after he spit on Stokes - it made the Broncos look bad.

While I appreciate the nastiness Fairley might bring, guys like DeMarcus Ware and Vincent Wilfork play clean and still make plays. You don't have to be dirty like James Harrison to be good. For that matter, Ray Lewis is a clean player who just makes great plays.

silkamilkamonico
01-17-2011, 01:59 AM
Really worried about Bowers's conditioning especially in the Mile High.

Really worried about Fairley's attitude.

Sucks. The one year we actually do get a top 3 pick the best 2 players in the draft have question marks more defined than in past years.

EMB6903
01-17-2011, 02:04 AM

Sucks. The one year we actually do get a top 3 pick the best 2 players in the draft have question marks more defined than in past years.

Worried about Bowers conditioning in Mile High?

Huh?

PAINTERDAVE
01-17-2011, 02:05 AM

We might very well trade down.. get an extra pick...
and still get good solid D-line help.

I am very curious how it shakes out...
time will tell.

silkamilkamonico
01-17-2011, 02:05 AM
Worried about Bowers conditioning in Mile High?

Huh?

Either conditioning issues, or he takes plays off, but that's a glaring weakness of his....that he doesn't play hard all the time.

topscribe
01-17-2011, 02:08 AM
Read the report guys...

he told a BUFFALO NY reporter "not where it is cold."

He might as well have said "I dont want to play for Buffalo"

Every player plays in the cold on away games..
the kid was trying to be funny/diplomatic.

It is NO BIG DEAL.

Except here.

This is a football message board. :lol:

-----

EMB6903
01-17-2011, 02:13 AM
Either conditioning issues, or he takes plays off, but that's a glaring weakness of his....that he doesn't play hard all the time.

When Ive watched Bowers play Ive never seen any sign of laziness, that dude goes full throttle until the whistle (atleast this year)

I keep hearing he was an underachiever his first 2 years which amazes me because this kid is only 20 years old right now, to have that high expectations as a teenager(esspecially playing on the line) is a bit much. I feel like hes figured it out and ever since has been dominant.

sneakers
01-17-2011, 04:07 AM
Good luck playing in the NFL then.

jetrazor74
01-17-2011, 05:35 AM

Amazing how many people over react to a joke.

Northman
01-17-2011, 05:46 AM
Doesnt shake my opinion none. Even when i played football in HS i didnt like playing in cold weather but you do it anyway. And although Bowers has talent he played in the ACC which is EXTREMELY weak.

gobroncsnv
01-17-2011, 07:34 AM
I think looking at conferences that a player competed in is a good way to have talent overlooked... Howie Long played for Villanova (you tell me what conference), his son for Virginia (ACC). Steve Young for BYU... Julius Peppers for UNC (ACC). Kurt Warner player for Northern Iowa. Rod Smith for Southwest Missouri. Either they are players, or they ain't.
I'm not so concerned about the level of competition as I am the attitude that they bring to the table. Last thing we need is to bring in another Courtney Brown (Penn State) who was a number 1 who NEVER showed up in the NFL like he should have. I'm hoping this is the last top 5 picks the Broncos ever have (unless we pull off a gnarly trade with some one who takes a dump on their season), so we need to make sure we get this one right. With our pick, before draft day, the FO had better crawl through every orifice and go from one ear to the other multiple times to be as sure as they can as to what they are getting. Most of the folks playing Dline in the NFL can bench press small cars, run similar 40's, etc... We need to know what makes the guy tick, and how is his motor, no matter who they lined up against. Otherwise, make all of the draft picks from Auburn.
If we find that we got someone who needs a little poodle sweater so they can play outside, I'd trade'm to the Bills. The Rookie Entitlement syndrome is the scariest thing about drafting so high.

Nomad
01-17-2011, 07:38 AM

This^^^^!!!

Dzone
01-17-2011, 08:28 AM
we just have to be careful. Interview everyone who has ever known him. Dig into his background as if he is applying for a job with the FBI. We cant afford to draft a head case like haynesworth, ryan leaf, jawalrus russell , and too many others to mention.

TXBRONC
01-17-2011, 09:00 AM

Every draft pick every year has question marks Silk.

I don't understand what you're problems is with Bower's conditioning. Unless we're taking someone that has played at University in the Rocky Mountains they're all need to acclimate to the thin air.

cardoso
01-17-2011, 11:33 AM
Amazing how many people over react to a joke.

hey this is the internet, please play along! :beer:

Agent of Orange
01-17-2011, 02:28 PM
I saw the video of him saying this. It really seems like this is way overblown.

CoachChaz
01-17-2011, 03:15 PM
I dont necessarily care about this comment, but he seems immature overall. While that could lead to on-field things, I think those could be taken care of. It's the off-field stuff that an immature kid with millions of dollars is capable of that scares me. He's good, but he worries me.

Bowers is young, but really hasnt shown he's apt to be immature. I think his biggest issue will be that it may take a year or two before his talent is refined to the NFL level.

All in all, I guess I'd rather trade back a few spots, get another decent pick out of it and draft the best available DL at the spot we have. Watt, Clayborn, Heyward, etc. Add Quinn to that list if we go back to a 4-3

If we stay where we are, I'm leaning towards Dareus. His versatility and skill are the best overall package. he can play inside and outside in both 3-4 and 4-3 and it allows us to move him around as needed

hotcarl
01-17-2011, 03:42 PM
i hope he writes you a personal apology, thats just mean!

BigDaddyBronco
01-17-2011, 03:48 PM
I dont necessarily care about this comment, but he seems immature overall. While that could lead to on-field things, I think those could be taken care of. It's the off-field stuff that an immature kid with millions of dollars is capable of that scares me. He's good, but he worries me.

Bowers is young, but really hasnt shown he's apt to be immature. I think his biggest issue will be that it may take a year or two before his talent is refined to the NFL level.

All in all, I guess I'd rather trade back a few spots, get another decent pick out of it and draft the best available DL at the spot we have. Watt, Clayborn, Heyward, etc. Add Quinn to that list if we go back to a 4-3

If we stay where we are, I'm leaning towards Dareus. His versatility and skill are the best overall package. he can play inside and outside in both 3-4 and 4-3 and it allows us to move him around as needed

Dareus is my favorite. If we could move back a few spots, draft Dareus and get some extra picks it would be money.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-17-2011, 03:57 PM
# Carolina - Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn
Capped off a dominant season with a dominant title game. He can play in a 3-4 or 4-3 alignment, and is a difference maker.

# Denver - Da’Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson
John Fox had a dominant edge rusher in Julius Peppers during his best years as the Panthers coach. Bowers may not be quite the physical freak Peppers is, but he is a tremendous pass rush threat off the edge.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2011/nflmockdraft.html

Agent of Orange
01-17-2011, 04:04 PM
# Carolina - Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn
Capped off a dominant season with a dominant title game. He can play in a 3-4 or 4-3 alignment, and is a difference maker.

# Denver - Da’Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson
John Fox had a dominant edge rusher in Julius Peppers during his best years as the Panthers coach. Bowers may not be quite the physical freak Peppers is, but he is a tremendous pass rush threat off the edge.

What is Doom, chopped liver? Whats up with that, Carol?

Denver Native (Carol)
01-17-2011, 04:07 PM
What is Doom, chopped liver? Whats up with that, Carol?

I have no idea - I just posted the article

Northman
01-17-2011, 04:08 PM
Yea, Walter's has Carolina taking AJ Green and Denver taking Fairly. But they also have Denver taking Bowers as a backup plan.

Skinny
01-17-2011, 04:51 PM
I've seen more Clemson Tiger football than i care to talk about but this conditioning and taking snaps off is just crazy.

I watched the majority of all of Clemsons games this year except Presbyterian and i never seen him take one snap off. 110% effort on every down he played till the whistle blew. It was actually one of his better traits this season and the main reason he was 2nd in the country in TFL and 1st in sacks which led up to his "National Defensive Player of the Year" award. Pure hustle for 60 minutes. Bowers was a machine in 2010...

Snaps

North Texas.........46
Presbyterian........21
at Auburn...........54
Miami (Fl)..........65
at North Carolina...65
Maryland............43
Georgia Tech........62
at Boston College...61
NC State............56
at Florida State....56
at Wake Forrest.....44
South Carolina......60

Total snaps........633

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/clem/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/bowers_flyer.pdf

KCL
01-17-2011, 04:54 PM
I haven't read through the whole thread but what's he going to do if say he was picked up by a Florida team and they play on the road somewhere cold...stay home...he may have been joking.

Agent of Orange
01-17-2011, 05:12 PM
I've seen more Clemson Tiger football than i care to talk about but this conditioning and taking snaps off is just crazy.

I watched the majority of all of Clemsons games this year except Presbyterian and i never seen him take one snap off. 110% effort on every down he played till the whistle blew. It was actually one of his better traits this season and the main reason he was 2nd in the country in TFL and 1st in sacks which led up to his "National Defensive Player of the Year" award. Pure hustle for 60 minutes. Bowers was a machine in 2010...

Snaps

North Texas.........46
Presbyterian........21
at Auburn...........54
Miami (Fl)..........65
at North Carolina...65
Maryland............43
Georgia Tech........62
at Boston College...61
NC State............56
at Florida State....56
at Wake Forrest.....44
South Carolina......60

Total snaps........633

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/clem/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/bowers_flyer.pdf

Was he on the left side the vast majority of the time? Every thing I've seen from Bowers was with him at LDE.

I'd rather have a DT that can generate pressure but having another DE that can generate pressure is better than nothing.

Tebow666
01-17-2011, 05:28 PM

so this means he wont play anywhere hot if your comment is correct in construction.

i guess he likes cold weather...

Skinny
01-17-2011, 05:51 PM
Was he on the left side the vast majority of the time? Every thing I've seen from Bowers was with him at LDE.

I'd rather have a DT that can generate pressure but having another DE that can generate pressure is better than nothing.Yeah. Every once in a while they would move him to RDE, LDT, and even RDT. But the majority of his snaps were at LDE. Also when they would run a shade of the 3-4 he would be the LDE.

I would rather have a studley DT too.

Ziggy
01-17-2011, 06:19 PM
Bowers is a talent, but with Doom and Ayers able to come off of the edges, we need a tackle that can generate pressure. Fairley and Doom side by side in a 4-3 is a mouth watering prospect. Say what you want about Ayers, but the kid can stop the run and his natural position is a 4-3 end. I think he'll flourish also. That would give us 3 of the 4 ingredients for a successful and talented Dline. We will have to increase our speed at LB

nevcraw
01-17-2011, 06:21 PM

have you come back to him now that you've learned he was just having a little fun??

In my eyes -- it's Failrey or Bust. He is a stud -- He makes Warren Sapp look like Danny Devito.

topscribe
01-17-2011, 06:40 PM
Bowers is a talent, but with Doom and Ayers able to come off of the edges, we need a tackle that can generate pressure. Fairley and Doom side by side in a 4-3 is a mouth watering prospect. Say what you want about Ayers, but the kid can stop the run and his natural position is a 4-3 end. I think he'll flourish also. That would give us 3 of the 4 ingredients for a successful and talented Dline. We will have to increase our speed at LB

I won't bet the farm on it, but it wouldn't surprise me to see D.J. being shipped
off for draft value and Woodyard taking his place. If that happens, the Broncos
will have blazing speed at LB, at least from the position where it is most
important: weak inside LB . . .

-----

Agent of Orange
01-17-2011, 06:43 PM

I don't see how anyone can really be so sure about Ayers bringing pressure from a 3 pt stance. It would be nice but its a big question mark.

CrazyHorse
01-17-2011, 07:01 PM

The way this is worded makes it sounds like he wants to play where it's cold.

Tebow666
01-17-2011, 07:18 PM

thats what i said :beer:

HORSEPOWER 56
01-17-2011, 07:19 PM
I don't care where he wants to play. If we draft him, he'll play in Denver, and John Fox will fully utilize his talent.

He's the guy I want the most in the draft. BUILD THE D-LINE!!!

cardoso
01-17-2011, 07:53 PM

oops i did word that wrong sorry.

OrangeHoof
01-18-2011, 11:14 AM
NFL translation:

Buffalo = cold
Pittsburgh (a few miles south down the interstate) = "football weather".

G_Money
01-18-2011, 11:33 AM
I won't bet the farm on it, but it wouldn't surprise me to see D.J. being shipped

-----

I would swap Woodyard in for DJ at the Will in a 4-3, you bet. Somebody would have to want to pay for DJ's contract, though. It's not that bad in the scheme of things - about 6 million a year.

But I'd rather have Woodyard out there. He's a better instinctual football player, and if we're putting him at his position of impact instead of playing out of position, that'd be fine with me.

I think everybody knows I've always liked the kid, though.

~G

G_Money
01-18-2011, 11:37 AM
I don't care where he wants to play. If we draft him, he'll play in Denver, and John Fox will fully utilize his talent.

He's the guy I want the most in the draft. BUILD THE D-LINE!!!
I could very much live with a draft that gave us Fairly in the first, maybe Greg Jones (Michigan St MLB) in the second, since he reminds me some of Vilma, and an upside guy like Marvin Austin (the DT from NC who got in trouble with the agent snafu) in the 3rd or 4th if he was still there.

~G

Agent of Orange
01-18-2011, 03:41 PM

-----

I like how this is couched. If it's wrong, I said "I won't bet the farm on it" but if it's right, I'll probably claim credit for it.

I Eat Staples
01-18-2011, 04:15 PM
He has bad character and doesn't want to play for Denver. Don't draft him.

Northman
01-18-2011, 05:56 PM
I would swap Woodyard in for DJ at the Will in a 4-3, you bet. Somebody would have to want to pay for DJ's contract, though. It's not that bad in the scheme of things - about 6 million a year.

But I'd rather have Woodyard out there. He's a better instinctual football player, and if we're putting him at his position of impact instead of playing out of position, that'd be fine with me.

I think everybody knows I've always liked the kid, though.

~G

Have to agree.