PDA

View Full Version : Saints game info for Saints fans

Saints4life
09-17-2008, 09:54 AM
Just registered, I am a die hard saints fan. I would like to know about you guys. I want to know yall strengths to watch in the game.. good luck hopefully everything goes good

BroncoNut
09-17-2008, 09:56 AM
Hey S4L. Strenghts seem to be in our passing game. weakness in the pass rush and consequently the secondary.

NightTrainLayne
09-17-2008, 09:56 AM
Welcome.

Our biggest strength is our in-house referee staff. :D

yardog
09-17-2008, 09:57 AM
Welcome.

Saints4life
^^^^

Hahahahahahah

turftoad
Just registered, I am a die hard saints fan. I would like to know about you guys. I want to know yall strengths to watch in the game.. good luck hopefully everything goes good

Passing game.

Cutler, B.Marsh, Fast Eddie, Sheffler. And....... it doesn't happen without excellent play from our "O" Line.

Reggie Bush will probably have a good game vs our "D".

Italianmobstr7
09-17-2008, 10:02 AM
Offense is our strength. People keep saying that were struggling to run but us being 3rd in the league in rushing begs to differ. Our weakness is our dline, especially generating a pass rush. We've been okay stopping the run, but need to get a pass rush to stop teams from passing on us.

broncofaninfla
09-17-2008, 10:10 AM

Welcome!
Strengths on offense is our passing game, pass protection and play calling. We've been very effective at creating mismatches and keeping defenses guessing where the ball is going. We haven't relied on the run much this year but haven't had to. We've been that good passing the ball. IMO, We have 5 studs on offense, Cutler, Marshall, Royal, Sheffler, Graham and Clady. Truly a joy to watch being a Broncos fan. Our weakness to date is our defense. Mainly pass defense, not much pressure on the QB, very weak in the MLB and nickel back positions and haven't really been tested on the ground yet but suspect weakness there as well. Bailey and Williams are arguably our best defensive players. Also seem to be weak on special teams, very poor tackling and kick and punt coverage so far this year. Good punting and field goal kicking game though.

How about the same question in reverse back to you?

turftoad
09-17-2008, 10:54 AM
denver offense is our strength. People keep saying that were struggling against the run but us being 3rd in the league in rushing begs to differ. Our weaknessnis our dline, especially generating a pass rush.

Don't let being third in the league vs the rush fool you.

We've scored many points, other teams are needing to catch up and abandon the run.

CoachChaz
09-17-2008, 11:00 AM
It intrigues me how people insist on determining what type of team we are after 2 games.

haroldthebarrel
09-17-2008, 11:01 AM
It intrigues me how people insist on determining what type of team we are after 2 games.

So should we all shut up then and wait till the season is over?;)

Lonestar
09-17-2008, 11:05 AM
Don't let being third in the league vs the rush fool you.

We've scored many points, other teams are needing to catch up and abandon the run.

I agree they simply have not tried to run on us.. or as you said been able to because of the score.. But there will be times that we do not get those early scores and I suspect they will be able to run it down our throats.. and take away TOP and keep the ball out of Jays hands..

haroldthebarrel
09-17-2008, 11:08 AM
We can be passed upon, we can be rushed upon. We have given up ten plays more than 20 yards.
As long as we score, I really dont see the problem as our defense is horrible whether we let them pass or run.

nolafan33
09-17-2008, 11:18 AM
just wanted too introduce myself before some posting. i come from saintsreport.com and am a life long saints fan. i'm not into trashtalking, so go at it all you want. you won't hear from me.

thanks,
nolafan33

Day1BroncoFan
09-17-2008, 11:20 AM
:welcome:

NightTrainLayne
09-17-2008, 11:21 AM
Welcome to the site. :salute:

Day1BroncoFan
09-17-2008, 11:23 AM
I agree, our strength is scoring on offense and well our weakness is defense and special teams.

LRtagger
09-17-2008, 11:28 AM
Our biggest strength is our defense and ST...they suck so bad they give our offense the opportuity to have to put 40+ points up a game

yardog
09-17-2008, 11:32 AM
just wanted too introduce myself before some posting. i come from saintsreport.com and am a life long saints fan. i'm not into trashtalking, so go at it all you want. you won't hear from me.

thanks,
nolafan33

Welcome.

CoachChaz
09-17-2008, 11:33 AM
So should we all shut up then and wait till the season is over?;)

Are you prepared to say we are a run stuffing, pass happy juggernaut? Based on the first two games, it looks that way, but things change. We know what this team is all about without being jaded by coincidental numbers over the course of 2 games

haroldthebarrel
09-17-2008, 12:09 PM
Are you prepared to say we are a run stuffing, pass happy juggernaut? Based on the first two games, it looks that way, but things change. We know what this team is all about without being jaded by coincidental numbers over the course of 2 games

There was a wink there, just so you know.

But yeah, there are certain trends that is evident even with only a sample of two games. Our OL is hugely improved. Cutler has improved. The offensive skill players look a lot better since we have time to pass.
All these things were expected and so far have come to pass.
We always start good. Well almost always. Yet another trend.

We guessed our defense would be subpar. So far so good. :rolleyes:

I thought we would be a 9-7 team, give or take two games and so far looking at the our schedule we should be favorites in 9 out of 14 games left. Giving us an 11-5 season (plus/minus two).

We probably wont give up an average of five twenty yards plus plays a game.
Likewise, we probably wont score in the forties in the games left.

And as far as matchups are concerned. I look at the Saints offense and they should have an advantage. I look at our offense and we have an even bigger advantage.
When we play defense we shouldnt expect many sacks. They had the best line at not giving up sacks last year, and they are still good. We know where our defensive line ranks so that is a huge advantage to them.
I am guessing we will put Champ on Shockey at least part of the game, like we did to Oakland.
Our secondary is better than theirs, likewise they have a better defensive line. Both of those points were guessed before the season, and thus far seems to hold true looking at only two games.

So again, yes I believe you can point to certain trends even with only two games to sample.

striker1064
09-17-2008, 12:09 PM
How about the same question in reverse back to you?

It's my first post as well but I figure I can help answer this.

Our suspect defense continues to be our biggest weakness and will be until we can get some consistency. Week 1 we had one heck of a good pass rush, and Week 2 we got nothing. We're also working with a patchwork defense right now, so that doesn't help, but I'm hoping for some positives from the injury report this week. Since CB Jason Craft just got cut I'm hoping this means Mike McKenzie will finally be active, and I think we can actually turn our secondary into a strength with McKenzie + Tracy Porter starting, but we'll see. Aaron Glenn is a very good cover corner, but he got hurt in the Washington game and our secondary took a definite nosedive after that. If he can come back for nickel/dime packages with Randall gay then the secondary could actually be formidable, but there are a lot of questions there still, including pass rush and who's playing FS.

The offense took a while to get moving last season as well so I'm not too concerned about that. While it ws definitely our biggest reason for our loss against Washington (unable to sustain drives), it's still farther along than this time last year. Colston is out and that's never good, but we do have Shockey, plus they're using Bush more as a receiver now, where he's much more dangerous. We also got TE Billy Miller back who is a very underrated receiver. With our awful running last week, I think we'll finally see McAllister back in the lineup, and a solid rotation of him + Pierre Thomas should be enough to sustain drives and convert 3rd and short. Brees continues to be the cog that makes the offense go and as long as he's under center we always have a chance to win any game. The offensive line is troubling though, as they all seem to be underachieving drastically, especially against Washington. There are a couple of guys that I'm not too happy with but we're going to have to deal with anyway.

Long story short: It's probably going to be a shootout. I've always had a soft spot for Denver if only because I have some relatives there, but I do like Shanahan and I think Cutler is the real deal. Add Royal + Marshall and our defense is in for a long day. My thoughts have been that for the Saints' success it will be essential for the defensive line to get a good pass rush quickly, because there may be no other QB as dangerous as Cutler once he gets outside the pocket.

I'm always interested to talk football (and I don't talk trash), so fire away!

haroldthebarrel
09-17-2008, 12:14 PM
It's my first post as well but I figure I can help answer this.

Our suspect defense continues to be our biggest weakness and will be until we can get some consistency. Week 1 we had one heck of a good pass rush, and Week 2 we got nothing. We're also working with a patchwork defense right now, so that doesn't help, but I'm hoping for some positives from the injury report this week. Since CB Jason Craft just got cut I'm hoping this means Mike McKenzie will finally be active, and I think we can actually turn our secondary into a strength with McKenzie + Tracy Porter starting, but we'll see. Aaron Glenn is a very good cover corner, but he got hurt in the Washington game and our secondary took a definite nosedive after that. If he can come back for nickel/dime packages with Randall gay then the secondary could actually be formidable, but there are a lot of questions there still, including pass rush and who's playing FS.

The offense took a while to get moving last season as well so I'm not too concerned about that. While it ws definitely our biggest reason for our loss against Washington (unable to sustain drives), it's still farther along than this time last year. Colston is out and that's never good, but we do have Shockey, plus they're using Bush more as a receiver now, where he's much more dangerous. We also got TE Billy Miller back who is a very underrated receiver. With our awful running last week, I think we'll finally see McAllister back in the lineup, and a solid rotation of him + Pierre Thomas should be enough to sustain drives and convert 3rd and short. Brees continues to be the cog that makes the offense go and as long as he's under center we always have a chance to win any game. The offensive line is troubling though, as they all seem to be underachieving drastically, especially against Washington. There are a couple of guys that I'm not too happy with but we're going to have to deal with anyway.

Long story short: It's probably going to be a shootout. I've always had a soft spot for Denver if only because I have some relatives there, but I do like Shanahan and I think Cutler is the real deal. Add Royal + Marshall and our defense is in for a long day. My thoughts have been that for the Saints' success it will be essential for the defensive line to get a good pass rush quickly, because there may be no other QB as dangerous as Cutler once he gets outside the pocket.

I'm always interested to talk football (and I don't talk trash), so fire away!

Funny thing. I have always had a soft spot for the Saints.

Great post btw!

NightTrainLayne
09-17-2008, 01:11 PM
Colston is out and that's never good, but we do have Shockey, plus they're using Bush more as a receiver now, where he's much more dangerous.

After Sproles gouged us last week, I am not looking forward to Bush coming out of the backfield for swing passes. :ugh:

CoachChaz
09-17-2008, 01:14 PM
After Sproles gouged us last week, I am not looking forward to Bush coming out of the backfield for swing passes. :ugh:

More proof that Boss is a waste

nolafan33
09-17-2008, 01:15 PM
reggie has looked excellent this year, he's on pace too have over 2,000 all purpose yards. that's bryan westbrook numbers.

people make the comments about reggie not being able too run the ball, which is frustrating at times. but in the end i just want too get the ball into the endzone, any such way possible. which he has become very good at.

yardog
09-17-2008, 01:20 PM

I'm not sure that was Boss's fault on that play. Wasn't that Doom out wide in some sort of zone blitz maybe?

honz
09-17-2008, 01:59 PM
Weren't you just talking about not judging things after 2 games? Boss has only played in one game.

CoachChaz
09-17-2008, 02:04 PM
Weren't you just talking about not judging things after 2 games? Boss has only played in one game.

I'm basing Boss's waste of space on 59 career games.

broncofaninfla
09-18-2008, 09:15 AM

I believe on that play that was actually Websters assignment.

Mike
09-18-2008, 09:17 AM
We don't have any strengths. It will be so easy for the Saints that they should just play their second stringers...just to make it an interesting game.

LRtagger
09-18-2008, 10:09 AM
I believe on that play that was actually Websters assignment.

It's hard to tell who missed their assignment. DJ blitzed and Nate and Boss both went to cover the slot receiver. Sproles came out of the backfield to Boss's side of the field, but he and Nate were both back in man coverage on the same guy. It was a poorly designed zone blitz. You can't expect Doom to cover Sproles.

Check out the first 5 seconds or so of the vid

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80ad4acd

The biggest problem with the play was we sent a corner and LB on a blitz to the same side and still didnt get any pressure. Rivers made the correct read and dumped it off to Sproles who had Doom one-on-one. Doom had no chance. We gambled with the blitz and got burnt. Thats what happens sometimes when your front 4 get no pressure.

broncofaninfla
09-18-2008, 10:15 AM
It's hard to tell who missed their assignment. DJ blitzed and Nate and Boss both went to cover the slot receiver. Sproles came out of the backfield to Boss's side of the field, but he and Nate were both back in man coverage on the same guy. It was a poorly designed zone blitz. You can't expect Doom to cover Sproles.

Check out the first 5 seconds or so of the vid

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80ad4acd

The biggest problem with the play was we sent a corner and LB on a blitz to the same side and still didnt get any pressure. Rivers made the correct read and dumped it off to Sproles who had Doom one-on-one. Doom had no chance. We gambled with the blitz and got burnt. Thats what happens sometimes when your front 4 get no pressure.

Good stuff, thanks

gobroncsnv
09-18-2008, 07:12 PM
We have 5 studs on offense, Cutler, Marshall, Royal, Sheffler, Graham and Clady.

Make that 10... add in Clady, Hamilton, Weigmann, Kuper, and Harris.

SmilinAssasSin27
09-18-2008, 07:14 PM
welcome...I HATE our Safeties. 2 retreads that Brees can exploit...especially since he'll likely have all day to pass.

honz
09-18-2008, 07:31 PM
welcome...I HATE our Safeties. 2 retreads that Brees can exploit...especially since he'll likely have all day to pass.
There is only one way to fix our safety problem. Play Hamza! At least he brings some speed and athleticism to the table.

Lonestar
09-18-2008, 07:49 PM
There is only one way to fix our safety problem. Play Hamza! At least he brings some speed and athleticism to the table.

I guess if you like looking at his number from his back side as the WR/TE is going into the end zone that would be OK..

Sorry this group of Safeties do not remotely live up to The KILL zone safeties we have had over the years in Atwater, Smith and Lynch to name the latest ones..

even kennedy would be a better fix than these toads..

topscribe
09-18-2008, 09:20 PM
I'm basing Boss's waste of space on 59 career games.

I've said it elsewhere, and I'll say it here: I don't give a rat's ass what a
player did elsewhere. It is what he does in Denver that I care about . . . the
only thing I care about. Players have proven before that they will bust in one
system and excel in another.

I'm with Honz: I would rather see what he does here, for more than one game.

-----

SmilinAssasSin27
09-18-2008, 09:29 PM
Also...right, wrong or indifferent...I like our O enough to start 5 Broncos in one of my fantasy leagues this week. Cutty, BMarsh, Royal, Scheff and Selvin.

MOtorboat
09-18-2008, 09:33 PM
Also...right, wrong or indifferent...I like our O enough to start 5 Broncos in one of my fantasy leagues this week. Cutty, BMarsh, Royal, Scheff and Selvin.

Not enough yards/points to go around, so good luck with that.

frauschieze
09-18-2008, 10:01 PM
Welcome Saints fans. I would like to just take two seconds to say it's much nicer to have you in our presence than the trolls we had last week.

omac
09-18-2008, 10:41 PM

With the way the offense has been scoring TDs, yes. But I'd remove Selvin, because the RB is a 2 to 3 way split, with Pittman getting most of the short and goals.

Saintsfan23
09-18-2008, 11:11 PM
Hey Guys,
Saints fan here just letting you know that you guys are the most classiest football fans i have seen. Just reading through your forums and how you guys come to out forums to talk football and not to talk trash. Its a breath of fresh air to have a team that your about to play to have fans that you can actually talk to. I will definitely root for you guys (of course not this week lol) during the season. Good luck and lets hope for an injury free game.

OMorange&blue
09-18-2008, 11:41 PM
Good luck to you, n'awlns. And good luck to houston and south eat Texas.

sneakers
09-19-2008, 05:19 AM
Hey S4L. Strenghts seem to be in our passing game. weakness in the pass rush and consequently the secondary.

Indeed, as long as we aren't on Defense (or Kickoff Coverage), we're in good shape.