PDA

View Full Version : Postioning for a trade?

broncofaninfla
09-17-2008, 08:51 AM
With the bulking of 09 draft picks and the depth on the O-line, I wonder if the Broncos are positioning for a trade to bolster the defense this year? And no I'm not talking about a “trade our future away” type trade (high draft pick), I'm talking about a back up for a back up or a back up and a draft pick for a starter type trade. Jax and Indi are both in DIRE need of O-linemen and even one of their back up MLB's would be better than anybody we currently have. Any thoughts

Northman
09-17-2008, 09:11 AM
Dont see it personally.

Lonestar
09-17-2008, 11:42 AM
I see mikey trying to move up in the draft a couple of spots, using basically throw way picks for a team that needs bodies.. Like KC last year.. they had like 12 picks and alot of them made the squad..

Afterall we would have had to cut those guys anyway.. get some value for them while you can..

We have been lucky getting the hillis's but soon the talent level on the squad will be like it was during and just after the S/B years making it hard for mere mortals to make the team..

Then we got into a DAFTING glut taking flyer's on folks and then all of a sudden our talent level started to bottom out because of retirements, bad decisions in retaining talent, FA whoring and just flat making bad choices on day one..

Now we have a pretty decent O with good to great front liners.. Except IMO at RB.. But torain might be the answer there also..

ON D we are going to need to bulk up the starters in several areas.. DL, LB except for DJ (he needs to be resigned) and safeties.. Pretty much everyone but DJ, Champ and Thomas.. We all know that Robertson is a rental for 2-4 years. and when he can't go anymore right now we have Thomas that is all folks.. We need at least one more premier DT next year or 2010 at the latest.

LRtagger
09-17-2008, 11:50 AM
Didnt we already resign DJ?

Lonestar
09-17-2008, 11:52 AM

If we did I was asleep when it happened.. Or had breakfast since then:laugh::laugh:

UnderArmour
09-17-2008, 11:59 AM

Yeah.
Rotoworld:
Broncos re-signed LB D.J. Williams to a five-year, $32 million extension, with $13 million guaranteed, according to NFL Network's Adam Schefter.
It's interesting timing, with Williams moving back to the weak side because of some struggles in the middle last year. But Williams has proven to be a versatile and a consistent ballhawk since he was taken five slots after college teammate Jonathan Vilma in the 2004 first round. He's a rare homegrown Denver defender made good.

I don't think Robertson is a rental. The problems he had in NY were scheme related.

Buff
09-17-2008, 12:06 PM
With the bulking of 09 draft picks and the depth on the O-line, I wonder if the Broncos are positioning for a trade to bolster the defense this year? And no I'm not talking about a “trade our future away” type trade (high draft pick), I'm talking about a back up for a back up or a back up and a draft pick for a starter type trade. Jax and Indi are both in DIRE need of O-linemen and even one of their back up MLB's would be better than anybody we currently have. Any thoughts

Nah... I think they are compiling the picks because they see the value in acquiring picks for backups when the opportunity presents itself...

In terms of a trade this year-- It won't happen for one main reason-- the season is too short. Right now, no one is going to trade away a player capable of starting for a playoff team, because they need them for their own team.

You always see blockbusters mid-season in baseball because by the time July rolls around, teams have a pretty good idea of whether they are in the playoff race or not. In football, by the time a team has been eliminated from the playoffs, it's too late for a player to try to integrate to a new team and have a significant impact.

I do expect the Broncos to move around a little come draft day though.

Requiem / The Dagda
09-17-2008, 12:09 PM
Now that leaves us at: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5 (can go up to a fourth) a 6, 7 and 7 (can go up to a sixth.)

Nice; but we have to dish out one for Robertson.

chanesaw
09-17-2008, 01:52 PM
We only have to give up a pick for Roberson if he plays 65% of the snaps.

CoachChaz
09-17-2008, 02:00 PM
Trade all the picks for a higher #1 and another #2. Get 2 good LB's and a safety and I'm happy.

Buff
09-17-2008, 02:37 PM
Trade all the picks for a higher #1 and another #2. Get 2 good LB's and a safety and I'm happy.

If we don't draft a DT in the 1st 4 rounds next year I'm gonna be bitter.

Lonestar
09-17-2008, 02:58 PM
We only have to give up a pick for Roberson if he plays 65% of the snaps.

has he been off the field yet?:laugh::laugh:

G_Money
09-17-2008, 03:07 PM
Well, next year we get back Carlton Powell, so there's essentially a rookie DT by default. Of course, he's not a pass rusher, but when we drafted him I liked him against the run in our rotation.

Unless they're DTs that can collapse the pocket, though, I'm not sure that another DT would be what we need. And DTs that can obviously rush the passer go early. Unless we somehow manage to draft Fili Moala or Granger from OU I don't know that the guy you want us to get at DT is there.

I'm okay with drafting a DL in round 3 or 4, but with the quality of LBs and safeties coming out I'd like one of each if at all possible, please.

Then we can try to get a penetrating DT or a pass-rushing DE with more than one move who can also hold the edge.

Good DL are hard to find. I'd rather make it up with scheme if we have to than spend more top picks on shaky projects. Monte Kiffin could make something out of this D if we added Brandon Spikes and William Moore to the unit we already have, for instance. Pass rushers or no pass rushers, he'd find a way.

My kingdom for a real defensive scheme - or schemer. Hopefully Slowik finds one soon, and if he doesn't then maybe Shanny should go ask his good friend Jeff Fisher if he has any recommendations, because that guy understands defense and Shanny's own solutions have left something to be desired recently.

Though hey, Greg Robinson should be available now that he should be done making an even further mockery out of Syracuse ...

~G

ikillz0mbies
09-17-2008, 03:44 PM
I would really love it if the Broncos draft Laurinaitis by somehow trading up to get him. He's an amazing linebacker, great instincts, nose for the ball, good speed, and always involved in every play.

SmilinAssasSin27
09-17-2008, 04:09 PM
I say this every year, but we need a Safety. I like the MLBs, but teh "studs" do have their flaws. Mauluaga (sp?) overplays and Laurinaitis may not have the NFL athleticism worth trading up for. Ther are solid MLB ioptions for round 2. The Safeties however...we can land a stud in round 1. I doubt we can reach taylor Mays, but Myron Rolle, Pegues and a few otehrs could have mid/late round 1 grades. Of course things change by draft day, but I think if we don't go stud RB in round 1 (and this is a great year to do that), we can go S, then MLB...then use all those extra picks to load up on DLine prospects.

And you heard it here first...we'll draft a QB in the top 4 rounds.

BeefStew25
09-17-2008, 04:12 PM
I would really love it if the Broncos draft Laurinaitis by somehow trading up to get him. He's an amazing linebacker, great instincts, nose for the ball, good speed, and always involved in every play.

Yeah, like Bobby Carpenter.

SmilinAssasSin27
09-17-2008, 04:35 PM
At this point I only see a couple of FAs that would be worth even considering. Peppers is obvious, but will be pricey and I doubt he leaves the state of N Carolina. Eric Barton could be a nice option at MLB...as could Mike Peterson (assuming he's healthy).

Otherwise, save the $$ and continue to build thru youth and the draft.

SmilinAssasSin27
09-17-2008, 04:37 PM
This is the short list of 09 RBs. Some said that 2008 was the year of the RB...I think 09 is even better. WAY too many names for some real talent to not slip into round 2.

Chris Wells, Ohio St, Jr.
LeSean McCoy, Pitt, So
CJ Spiller, Clemson, Jr.
Knowshon Moreno, Georgia, So.
Keiland Williams, LSU, Jr.
Stafon Johnson, USC, Jr.
Marlon Lucky, Nebraska
James Davis, Clemson
Arian Foster, Tennessee
Javon Ringer, Michigan St.

**some are juniors, but projected to declare**

SmilinAssasSin27
09-17-2008, 04:39 PM
Inside Linebackers include:

James Laurinaitis, Ohio St
Rey Maualuga, USC
Brandon Spikes, Florida, Jr.
Darryl Beckwith, LSU
Jasper Brinkley, South Carolina
Scott McKillop, Pitt
Worrell Williams, Cal
Dave Philistin, Maryland
Ronnie Palmer, Arizona
Daniel Holtzclaw, Eastern Michigan

Spikes could be a real nice find in round 2.

SmilinAssasSin27
09-17-2008, 04:41 PM
Safeties include:
Taylor Mays, USC, Jr.
Myron Rolle, Florida St. Jr.
William Moore, Missouri
Patrick Chung, Oregon
Nate Allen, South Florida, Jr.
Derek Pegues, Mississippi St.
Nic Harris, Oklahoma
Michael Hamlin, Clemson
Rashad Johnson, Alabama
Kevin Ellison, USC

I actually forgot about Moore from Mizzou. Dude is nice and should easily be available for us if we end up picking late.

SmilinAssasSin27
09-17-2008, 04:42 PM
Defensive Tackle...not a GREAT list, but if it remains a need...

Fili Moala, USC
Sen’Derrick Marks, Auburn, Jr.
Vince Oghobaase, Duke, Jr.
Al Woods, LSU, Jr.
Jeff Owens, Georgia
Demarcus Granger Oklahoma, Jr.
Terrance Taylor, Michigan
Vance Walker, Georgia Tech
Demonte Bolden, Tennessee
BJ Raji, Boston College

SmilinAssasSin27
09-17-2008, 04:43 PM
Defensive End

Michael Johnson, Georgia Tech
Greg Hardy, Ole Miss, Jr.
George Selvie, South Florida, Jr.
Greg Middleton, Indiana, Jr.
Tyson Jackson, LSU
Brian Orapko, Texas
Maurice Evans, Penn St. Jr.
Kyle Moore, USC
Brandon Swain, West Texas AM
Larry English, Northern Illinois

WARHORSE
09-17-2008, 10:33 PM
Im lookin for impact, I dont care where it comes from.

Ton of safeties. Maulauga can learn not to overpursue...hes a beast.

How about he other USC LBer, hes a stud too, tip of my tonge. Cash?

Our safeties must be addressed though.

gobroncsnv
09-17-2008, 11:55 PM
Right now our main weakness is pass D, largely due to no pass rush. I'd try going DL again, emphasize the ends. Unclear yet if Moss is gonna work out, and SD killed us "mostly dead" because of passing, not rushing. If he doesn't get in the lineup soon, we'll need to at least entertain the notion of looking into plan B. This is not saying bust, but he's not racking up any playing time (so far), so it's not clear how he'll start to "get it" in his third year if he doesn't at some point have a second year.
We shored up the Oline in grand fashion, and it's paying off in our passing game because we took care of the line of scrimmage. This also works well for a defense every time it's tried. It's getting old (about 9 years running) to not have such an important role in the defense be so inconsistent.

Denver27og
09-18-2008, 12:57 AM
I guess we dont need roy willams anymore... can we get please get a BEAST safety?? i miss the atwater and smith days

Simple Jaded
09-18-2008, 01:36 AM
Im lookin for impact, I dont care where it comes from.

Ton of safeties. Maulauga can learn not to overpursue...hes a beast.

How about he other USC LBer, hes a stud too, tip of my tonge. Cash?

Our safeties must be addressed though.

Brian Cushing......

WARHORSE
09-18-2008, 03:45 AM
Brian Cushing......

Dats him.

Scarface
09-18-2008, 08:15 AM
Shanahan has a history of being aggressive on draft day. If he sees a player he likes he'll definitely try to make a move.

broncofaninfla
09-18-2008, 08:43 AM
I say this every year, but we need a Safety. I like the MLBs, but teh "studs" do have their flaws. Mauluaga (sp?) overplays and Laurinaitis may not have the NFL athleticism worth trading up for. Ther are solid MLB ioptions for round 2. The Safeties however...we can land a stud in round 1. I doubt we can reach taylor Mays, but Myron Rolle, Pegues and a few otehrs could have mid/late round 1 grades. Of course things change by draft day, but I think if we don't go stud RB in round 1 (and this is a great year to do that), we can go S, then MLB...then use all those extra picks to load up on DLine prospects.

And you heard it here first...we'll draft a QB in the top 4 rounds.

The Broncos have been trying out safeties this week. Seems like they know we need one too.

broncofaninfla
09-18-2008, 08:47 AM
I think it would be a good move for the Broncos to trade one of our back up offensive linemen for a back up MLB. I think anothers team back up would be better than any of the MLB's on our team, I really feel we are that weak at the postion right now.

SOCALORADO.
09-18-2008, 09:03 AM
1st off, anyone who thinks REY REY overpursues is on dope.
Yeah, right.
Taylor Mays is just a physical freak, but he hasnt done anything to garner a 1st round pick yet. William Moore is a very good player in the mold of Rodney Harrison.
Patrick Chung. Very talented player who may fall to the 2nd round. A must have in DEN. Also, Kevin Ellison is a very good Safety.
As for lauranitis, he gets washed out of too many plays, and he just isnt big enough. Needs to gain some weight from what i saw last week. He looks small.
REY REY is the pick for DEN in the 1st period. Hes a slam dunk, no brainer.
That would solve DENs MLB spot for the next decade.
Get Chung in the 2nd, hes easily as talented as William Morre.
Then the rest of the draft can be used to address the DT spot and CB or RB.
Also, i would hope DEN makes a run at a FA DE.

hamrob
09-18-2008, 12:23 PM
I think it would be a good move for the Broncos to trade one of our back up offensive linemen for a back up MLB. I think anothers team back up would be better than any of the MLB's on our team, I really feel we are that weak at the postion right now.I don't know about a trade. But I agree there are better backups out there then there are on our squad.

Webster and Kou are Pathetic.

What really irks me...is that Kou has looked terrible on special teams as well. Has anyone else noticed that?

underrated29
09-18-2008, 12:55 PM
I know i am going against my sig a little bit, but......

Instead of drafting a MLB, lets have a look at vilma (if the saints dont resign him.) If his knees hold up, he and Dj back together again. NICE!

Then we can use our 1st, on a DE/DT. And our 2nd on a S.

I really feel that our whole defense is lacking because of A-no pass rush and B- no true MLB to direct plays and eat rbs, and qbs alive.

If we had a quick efficient pass rush our safties would look a whole lot better than they are.

So we go DE/DT in 1. (assuming we get vilma or an equally talneted MLB in FA) And then in 2. Get almost as good talented S. to pair up with barret,mcree,manual, hamza.

We have a solid back 4, champ, dre, safties, but a pass rush is sooooo much more effective.

If we dont nab vilma or an elite MLB in FA- THen i say we draft one first, then go after DE/DT/S in that order.

MOtorboat
09-18-2008, 12:59 PM
I think it would be a good move for the Broncos to trade one of our back up offensive linemen for a back up MLB. I think anothers team back up would be better than any of the MLB's on our team, I really feel we are that weak at the postion right now.

Don't we already have two backup middle linebackers?

broncofaninfla
09-18-2008, 02:50 PM
I don't know about a trade. But I agree there are better backups out there then there are on our squad.

Webster and Kou are Pathetic.

What really irks me...is that Kou has looked terrible on special teams as well. Has anyone else noticed that?

I agree!! I understood he was great on special teams at Seattle, he has been slow and lethargic to date with us. Anybody remember Britt Hager? I think it's the same guy!!! I bet he suffers the same fate.

broncofaninfla
09-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Don't we already have two backup middle linebackers?

I don't think any of our MLB's could make another NFL team. I saying anothers teams back up's would be better than anybody we currently have on our roster

underrated29
09-18-2008, 02:56 PM
It wont happen though,

Shanny has already stated this is the first time since the elway era that his offense is totally set up. So that means that we will go all defense with FA and Draft, unless someone falls that shouldnt have, or the redskins decide to trade us Portis back and thier 2nd for royal and koutivedes.

We will get our MLB in the offseason or draft, dont you worry. As far as this goes, i dont think anyone we pick up will be such a significant upgrade over our current MLB and the loss of whatever position we used to make the trade.

MOtorboat
09-18-2008, 02:59 PM
I don't think any of our MLB's could make another NFL team. I saying anothers teams back up's would be better than anybody we currently have on our roster

Well, Niko did for four years in Seattle, as the backup.

Giving up our o-line depth for another middle linebacker just doesn't do us any good.

There's a reason in-season trades are so rare, because rarely do they benefit the team trying to get the player. We're stuck with what we've got, and we just have to hope they get better and coaches scheme away from their weaknesses.

BCJ
09-18-2008, 03:47 PM
We are stockpiling for 2009. We need defense and more bodies in camp, better a few stick and possibly make the starting squad. We have done very well in late rounds on offense so time to go defense and fix this mess. Let us hope some of those trades move up one spot each and we either package them up or keep them all. I like the fact we are already looking into next year.

Skinny
09-18-2008, 04:47 PM
I think it would be a good move for the Broncos to trade one of our back up offensive linemen for a back up MLB. I think anothers team back up would be better than any of the MLB's on our team, I really feel we are that weak at the postion right now.The play there is'nt stellar, weak is an option, but we do have depth at MLB if anything. Webster, Niko, and if worse comes to worse i imagine the staff could move DJ back if injuries take there toll. Possibly play Woodyard at WLB in the meantime. While all the while, not really dropping in performance, other than maybe having a rookie on the weakside. I would'nt want to put too many more eggs in the MLB basket, not right now.

The O-line IMO does'nt quite have that luxury. I would like to keep the guys we have there now, who two of them are rookies, with the experiance they have together through out camp and practices/games up until now.

Say Casey goes down, with Nalen out also, does Hamilton then slide over to C?? (Litch??) And say Hamilton does slide to C, who then fills in Hamilton's spot at LG?? Litch, one of the rookies, is Hamiltons back up on the depth chart. There's also another rookie in Polumbus penciled in behind Clady. And Pears who luckily for us has experiance at LT and RT, i honestly would hate to trade him right now *gulp*. Then we would probably have to bump up rookie Erickson from the practice squad to fill in for Litch as depth for the G. It just seems like it would be a cluster buster if we trade any depth on the O-line. Just sayin'.