PDA

View Full Version : Jim Skipper coming to Denver?

PAINTERDAVE
01-16-2011, 01:08 PM
Apparantly he has been quoted as saying he is coming here.

Wikipedia -

Early Years

A native of Brawley, California. He was an all-conference selection at Imperial Valley College, where he led the league in kickoff returns. He then transferred to Whittier College, where he played defensive back and he paced the conference in punt returns during his career. Skipper holds a B.A. degree in physical education from Whittier.

Coaching Career

Jim Skipper began his coaching career at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona, where he coached the defensive backs from 1974-1976. After coaching the defensive backs for two seasons at San Jose State University, Skipper moved to the offensive side of the ball, coaching the running backs at University of the Pacific in 1979. He then went on to coach the running backs at University of Oregon from 1980-1982 before he made the jump to the professional ranks.

He started his professional coaching career with the Philadelphia/Baltimore Stars of the United States Football League from 1983-1985. He then moved on to the National Football League with the New Orleans Saints. Starting in 1986, Skipper served as the running back coach till 1995. During his 10-year tenure with New Orleans, Skipper coached two Pro Bowlers, Rueben Mayes in 1986 and 1987 and Dalton Hilliard in 1989. Mayes' 1,353 yards in 1986 and Hilliard's 1,262 in 1989 still stand among the 10 highest single-season rushing totals in Saints history.

He has been the running backs coach for the Carolina Panthers since 2002. In 2009, Skipper helped make NFL history. 2 of his running backs, DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart, became the first set of teammates ever to rush for over 1000 yards in the same season.

Agent of Orange
01-16-2011, 01:10 PM
What about Bob Gilligan?

PAINTERDAVE
01-16-2011, 01:11 PM
It's not official yet but he told reporters he will be in Denver.
Not sure what his role will be but he is the best rb coach in the business.
D'Angelo Williams, Free Agent RB, said depending on what skipper did would affect his decision .

silkamilkamonico
01-16-2011, 01:12 PM
Who?

PAINTERDAVE
01-16-2011, 01:15 PM
DeAngelo Williams (born April 25, 1983 in Wynne, Arkansas) is an American football running back in the NFL who currently plays for the Carolina Panthers. He played for the University of Memphis Tigers in college and was drafted 27th overall by the Carolina Panthers in the 2006 NFL Draft, and is the franchise's all-time leading rusher. His number is thirty-four.

Biography

College career - Williams holds the Division I NCAA records for most career all-purpose yards (7,573) and 100-yard rushing games (34). He also ranks fourth on the all-time NCAA rushing list with 6,026 yards, trailing only Ron Dayne, Ricky Williams, and Tony Dorsett. Williams was on the 2004 Pro Football Weekly All-America Team.

In his final collegiate game, the 2005 Motor City Bowl, Williams helped Memphis defeat the Akron Zips 38-31 by running for a Bowl record 238 yards and scoring 3 touchdowns. His performance made him the top ground-gainer in college football in 2005. He was also an All-America selection by the AFCA-Coaches's and the Walter Camp Foundation.

Williams was a finalist for the 2005 Doak Walker Award, which was awarded to Reggie Bush. He came in seventh overall in the Heisman Trophy voting. In 2005, he was named the inaugural winner of the ARA Sportsmanship Award, presented by the Awards and Recognition Association to the Division I football player who best exhibits sportsmanship both on and off the field.

Professional career

In January, Williams attended the 2006 Senior Bowl in Mobile, Alabama, an annual event in which college seniors and professional prospects are evaluated by NFL personnel in preparation for the NFL Draft. His height was officially measured at 5'9, which led some scouts to question his potential as an undersized back in the NFL. However, scouting reports soon placed him among the most impressive performers during the practice week leading up to the Bowl, and Williams punctuated the week with a strong, if brief, showing in the game itself, rushing for 31 yards on 3 carries and catching 2 passes for 28 yards. For the Combine, Williams trained at D1 Sports Training in Nashville, TN.

On March 24, at Pro Day on the University of Memphis campus, Williams ostensibly improved his draft stock even further with an exceptional workout. He ran his 40 yard dash in 4.40 seconds with the wind and 4.48 seconds against the wind. He also impressed in the short shuttle, the three-cone drill, and the long shuttle. In addition, he recorded a 34½-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot-9 broad jump and caught the ball well in receiving drills.

Carolina Panthers Though at one point he was considered a top ten pick, with some projecting him as high as #4 overall to the New York Jets, Williams saw his draft stock fall a bit in weeks preceding the draft, as many teams filled their needs at the running back position via free agency. On April 29, 2006, Williams was selected by the Carolina Panthers with the 27th overall pick in the NFL Draft. He joined Reggie Bush, LenDale White, Laurence Maroney and Joseph Addai, among others, in a promising draft class at running back. Williams adopted the jersey number 34, which he wore in high school the same as his hero at the time Ricky Williams.

2006 season - He played in the first five games of the 2006 season and looked promising as an alternative to DeShaun Foster in the Carolina backfield, compiling an impressive average of 5.3 yards per carry. He missed weeks 6 through 8 with a sprained ankle. In week 11 against St. Louis, Williams filled in for Foster, who had injured his elbow, and totaled 20 carries for 114 yards. In a Monday Night Football game against the Philadelphia Eagles, Williams started for an injured DeShaun Foster and managed 74 rushing yards on 17 carries and an impressive 101 receiving yards on 7 catches with a touchdown. He had 501 rushing yards and 1 touchdown on the year.

2007 season - In the 2007 season, Williams continued to backup DeShaun Foster. He had his first 100 yard game of the season in a win week six against the Arizona Cardinals. In the fourth quarter he clinched the win with a 75 yard run, the longest in team history, only to be tackled short of the goal line. On the very next play he ran the ball to the right corner of endzone for his first touchdown of the season. The next five weeks, he had low numbers due to limited playing time. In the final week of the season, Williams rushed for 121 yards on 20 carries while scoring 2 touchdowns. He finished the season with 144 carries for 717 yards and was ninth in the NFL in yards per carry (5.0).

2008 season - Williams established himself as the starting running back for the Panthers prior to the 2008 season. During the 2008 season, Williams shared carries with 2008 draft pick Jonathan Stewart, though Williams received a majority of the work. On November 30, 2008, Williams set a franchise record for rushing touchdowns in one game by scoring four touchdowns in a week 13 game against the Green Bay Packers. In week 15 of the 2008 season, Williams was selected FedEx Ground Player-of-the-Week after a dominating performance in which he rushed for 186 yards on 19 carries and 2 touchdowns vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Monday Night Football. On December 21, 2008, in a game against the New York Giants for the number one playoff seed, Williams rushed for 108 yards and four touchdowns in an overtime loss. Williams didn't fumble the entire 2008 season. Despite having a stellar season, he was unable to make the Pro Bowl over Clinton Portis, despite having more total yards, touchdowns, and yards per carry. This is mainly attributed to Portis outperforming Williams the first half of the season, as well as the large Redskins fanbase. Williams did, however, make the All-Pro team. He finished the 08 season with 273 carries for 1,515 yards and 18 rushing touchdowns, to go along with 22 catches for 121 yards and 2 more touchdowns. Williams credited much his 2008 success to a discussion with Vinny Testaverde and improved pre-game preparation. After the season, Williams was voted Pro Football Weekly and the Professional Football Writers of America's Most Improved Player of the Year.

2009 Season - In week 7 of the 2009 NFL season, DeAngelo Williams broke a 77 yard run against the Cardinals, breaking his previous record of 75 yards, which was also set against Arizona. The Panthers got their revenge from the previous year's playoff loss as they beat the Cardinals 34-21. In a game against Tampa Bay, Williams had 152 Rushing yards as he scored the game winning touchdown in Carolina's 28-21 win. Despite missing all of 3 games and most of 2 more due to injury, Williams managed to rush for 1,117 yards and 7 touchdowns on 216 carries, as well as receiving for 252 yards on 29 catches, earning himself a spot in the Pro Bowl. He and Jonathan Stewart became the first running back duo in NFL History to rush for 1,110 yards apiece (with Stewart rushing for 1,133 yards), as well as becoming the first Panther running back to rush for 1,000 in consecutive seasons.

During the 2010 Pro Bowl, DeAngelo Williams scored a touchdown on a 7 yard run, the first by a Panthers player in team history. He finished the game with 2 carries for 6 yards and a touchdown, as well as a 15 yard reception.

2010 Season -Williams injured his right foot during the Panthers' 24 October 2010 home win against the San Francisco 49ers. He did not play again before being placed on injured reserve on 17 November 2010, with what was announced to be a mid-foot sprain. Williams finished the year with 361 yards and one touchdown on 87 rushes, along with 61 yards and no touchdowns on 11 catches.

Williams will be a free agent at the end of the season.

Agent of Orange
01-16-2011, 01:27 PM
Id very much like it if he brought Ginger to Denver.

PAINTERDAVE
01-16-2011, 01:28 PM
Panthers running backs coach Jim Skipper said he and Fox had spoken Friday afternoon,
and he indicated he'll head west soon.

"It looks like I'm going to get there in some capacity," Skipper said.
"Don't know exactly what it's going to be, but he did say he wanted to bring me out there."

I would love to see Williams and Moreno as a one two punch in our backfield...

PAINTERDAVE
01-16-2011, 01:30 PM
Id very much like it if he brought Ginger to Denver.

Ginger is a slut. Maryanne would be better.

pipes
01-16-2011, 01:31 PM
What about Bob Gilligan?

Nice! Am I the only one that caught that?
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

PAINTERDAVE
01-16-2011, 01:33 PM
From the Panthers board -

Fox also has made arrangements to take special teams coach Jeff Rodgers and
linebackers coach Richard Smith with him to Denver as well, and is working on
offensive line coach Dave Magazu and wide receivers coach Tyke Tolbert.

Rivera talked to Magazu and Tolbert about jobs with the Panthers,
but two sources said they're leaning toward joining Fox.

________

Looks like Rivera is having a hard time keeping any of the Panthers Coaching staff...
he will have to start from scratch...
while Fox seems to have his pick of coaches from Denver and Carolina...
among others.

Montana Battlin Bear
01-16-2011, 02:05 PM
where did you read that Skippers decision would affect Deangelo's?

Agent of Orange
01-16-2011, 02:10 PM
Ginger is a slut. Maryanne would be better.

What's wrong with sluts?

silkamilkamonico
01-16-2011, 02:11 PM
Looks like Rivera is having a hard time keeping any of the Panthers Coaching staff...
among others.

It is nice to have a coach who other coaches seem to want to work for.

claymore
01-16-2011, 02:12 PM
Panthers running backs coach Jim Skipper said he and Fox had spoken Friday afternoon,
and he indicated he'll head west soon.

"It looks like I'm going to get there in some capacity," Skipper said.
"Don't know exactly what it's going to be, but he did say he wanted to bring me out there."

I would love to see Williams and Moreno as a one two punch in our backfield...

Man I hope its as RB Coach. Studsville sucks ass as a RB coach.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-16-2011, 02:27 PM
Running backs coach Jim Skipper said he and Fox had spoken Friday afternoon, and he indicated he'll head west soon.

"It looks like I'm going to get there in some capacity," Skipper said. "Don't know exactly what it's going to be, but he did say he wanted to bring me out there."

Skipper's running backs were among the most consistent position groups the Panthers had, and all of his players had been lobbying for his return. But Skipper said he never heard from general manager Marty Hurney.

Fox also has made arrangements to take special teams coach Jeff Rodgers and linebackers coach Richard Smith with him as well, and is working on offensive line coach Dave Magazu and wide receivers coach Tyke Tolbert.

Rivera talked to Magazu and Tolbert about jobs with the Panthers, but two sources said they're leaning toward joining Fox.

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2011/01/14/1817346/meeks-to-stay-with-panthers-in.html#ixzz1B4vCjPht

PAINTERDAVE
01-16-2011, 02:27 PM
where did you read that Skippers decision would affect Deangelo's?

On the Panthers board...

Williams apparantly really likes/trusts Skipper a LOT..
and has been quoted as saying where Skipper coaches would affect his decision.

Like if Skipper stayed... maybe he'd consider staying in Carolina.
So... if Fox and Skipper make a push.. it is not inconceivable that
Williams would like to play here... where he knows the focus will be on the run...
with coaches he knows and trusts.

Heck.. he could come here and be a STAR right alongside Tebow...
in the new era Broncos 2011.

I hope he does.

Montana Battlin Bear
01-16-2011, 02:37 PM
I completely agree.

I was just asking because I would love for Deangelo to be in a Broncos uniform next year. That was some good news. Man I love the direction this team is headed.

PAINTERDAVE
01-16-2011, 03:04 PM
It certainly gives us an edge on other teams interested in him...

broncofaninfla
01-16-2011, 03:37 PM
I'm more intrested in the defensive players that might follow Fox than I am Williams.

dogfish
01-16-2011, 03:58 PM
It's not official yet but he told reporters he will be in Denver.
Not sure what his role will be but he is the best rb coach in the business.
D'Angelo Williams, Free Agent RB, said depending on what skipper did would affect his decision .

best in the business my ass. . .

dude is a good coach, but bobby turner is the best in the business. . . .

PAINTERDAVE
01-16-2011, 04:14 PM
best in the business my ass. . .

dude is a good coach, but bobby turner is the best in the business. . . .

I defer to your point...

how about one of the best?

I am happy to find out... he's coming here.

I Eat Staples
01-16-2011, 07:54 PM
I don't want Fox bringing Carolina's entire staff over, but Skipper is definitely someone I want. I hope he comes over as RBs coach.

TXBRONC
01-17-2011, 11:55 AM
What about Bob Gilligan?

I wouldn't Gilligan unless he brought along the professor and Mary Anne.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-17-2011, 12:04 PM
Supposedly, Studesville is staying as the RB coach. Skipper is coming in to be one of Fox's managing assistants or something like that. According to what I've read, Skipper was Fox's right-hand-man in Carolina (best friends or something). Fox wants him here to help out with game planning and such, but the RB job is still Studes'.

Frankly, if it gives us a leg up on getting Deangelo Williams, I'm cool with it!

TXBRONC
01-17-2011, 12:06 PM
Supposedly, Studesville is staying as the RB coach. Skipper is coming in to be one of Fox's managing assistants or something like that. According to what I've read, Skipper was Fox's right-hand-man in Carolina (best friends or something). Fox wants him here to help out with game planning and such, but the RB job is still Studes'.

I appreciate how Studesville handled himself over the last four weeks of the season but I'm not convinced he should be the runnings back coach.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-17-2011, 12:11 PM
I'm more intrested in the defensive players that might follow Fox than I am Williams.

Like Richard Marshall? That's what I'm talking about...

TXBRONC
01-17-2011, 12:42 PM
Like Richard Marshall? That's what I'm talking about...

He looks like he's a damn sight better than Goodman.

GEM
01-17-2011, 12:47 PM
From the Panthers board -

Fox also has made arrangements to take special teams coach Jeff Rodgers and
linebackers coach Richard Smith with him to Denver as well, and is working on
offensive line coach Dave Magazu and wide receivers coach Tyke Tolbert.

Rivera talked to Magazu and Tolbert about jobs with the Panthers,
but two sources said they're leaning toward joining Fox.

________

among others.

I don't want all of Carolina's retreads. I like the Fox pickup, but I don't want his coaching staff. It was obviously broken so 1 or 2 ok, beyond that...let's not make this Carolina West.

TXBRONC
01-17-2011, 01:01 PM
I don't want all of Carolina's retreads. I like the Fox pickup, but I don't want his coaching staff. It was obviously broken so 1 or 2 ok, beyond that...let's not make this Carolina West.

From what the guys are saying the coaches that he wants to bring over are pretty respectable coaches. Fox is keeping Studesville and McCoy from McDaniels staff. Most head coaches will do what Fox is doing by bringing in guys they are comfortable with.

GEM
01-17-2011, 01:02 PM
From what the guys are saying the coaches that he wants to bring over are pretty respectable coaches. Fox is keeping Studesville and McCoy from McDaniels staff. Most head coaches will do what Fox is doing by bringing in guys they are comfortable with.

I know, but Fox needs fresh blood as much as the Broncos do. Carolina was dysfunctional. Keep the GOOD coaches not the GOOD buddies.

TXBRONC
01-17-2011, 01:06 PM
I know, but Fox needs fresh blood as much as the Broncos do. Carolina was dysfunctional. Keep the GOOD coaches not the GOOD buddies.

I hear ya. But from what some of guys the coaches he wants to bring in are pretty respectable.

I wanted you to be the head coach and Frau to be the defensive coordinator but Elway didn't take me up on my suggestion. :tsk:

GEM
01-17-2011, 01:14 PM
I hear ya. But from what some of guys the coaches he wants to bring in are pretty respectable.

I wanted you to be the head coach and Frau to be the defensive coordinator but Elway didn't take me up on my suggestion. :tsk:

There is a reason for that. Haven't you heard....Elway isn't VP material. I read it here somewhere. :D

Agent of Orange
01-17-2011, 01:54 PM

Yeah, I can see why people would comment about not wanting to be Carolina west after the New England west thing and also after Carolina went 2-14. But I don't get the impression that Fox has such an incredible ego that he's going to insist on being the shining star among the coaches. I also get the impression that guys like working with/for Fox.

I'll give Elway credit as this seemed to be something that he researched.

TXBRONC
01-17-2011, 01:58 PM
There is a reason for that. Haven't you heard....Elway isn't VP material. I read it here somewhere. :D

That's why I went to him. :D

rcsodak
01-17-2011, 03:56 PM
Man I hope its as RB Coach. Studsville sucks ass as a RB coach.only you would know, clay.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

TXBRONC
01-17-2011, 04:01 PM
Man I hope its as RB Coach. Studsville sucks ass as a RB coach.

Studesvilles is staying on.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-17-2011, 04:32 PM
Here's the latest staff...

Skipper isn't on there yet. Easy E Studes is staying on as RB coach.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/football-operations.html

Agent of Orange
01-17-2011, 04:39 PM
Here's the latest staff...

Skipper isn't on there yet. Easy E Studes is staying on as RB coach.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/football-operations.html

Its kind of interesting how they're listed. It seems like once it's below a certain point it goes in alphabetical order. This caught my attention when I saw Justin Lovett as a S&C assistant and Tuten way down at the bottom. And McCoy is obviously after Barone.

dogfish
01-17-2011, 06:04 PM
****in tuten, AGAIN!

what is it with this guy? i can't remember the last time we fielded a team that was physically imposing, even with mcD bringing in bigger personnel. . . not to mention our apparent lack of the obvious superior conditioning a team that trains at altitude should have. . .

i clearly must be missing something here. . .

Agent of Orange
01-17-2011, 06:05 PM
****in tuten, AGAIN!

what is it with this guy? i can't remember the last time we fielded a team that was physically imposing, even with mcD bringing in bigger personnel. . . not to mention our apparent lack of the obvious superior conditioning a team that trains at altitude should have. . .

i clearly must be missing something here. . .

Unless you're the Steelers, I'm pretty sure guys buy their own steroids.