PDA

View Full Version : Keary Colbert traded to Seahawks for a late-round pick.

Requiem / The Dagda
09-16-2008, 03:12 PM
Awesome. (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8570780/Seahawks-swing-deal-to-solidify-receiver-corps?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5)

broncos9697
09-16-2008, 03:18 PM
good move for the broncos if they get a extra pick but bad if we sent him to the seahawks and just get to swap picks if thats the case they got a better deal..

red98
09-16-2008, 03:26 PM
Awesome. (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8570780/Seahawks-swing-deal-to-solidify-receiver-corps?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5)

WOW! :shocked:

Guess that experiment is over.

Hawgdriver
09-16-2008, 03:29 PM

Awesome^3

This is the kind of move I was waiting for. We're in a position to trade present talent for future talent to sustain the franchise. Great news.

turftoad
09-16-2008, 03:33 PM
The Hawks are hurtin for certain.

They trade for Colbert and are thinking of signing Koren Robinson.

Boy, I sure am glad we payed Colbert more than San Fran paid Bryant Johnson. Not!

DenBronx
09-16-2008, 03:34 PM
this move makes sense. we have jackson waiting at the helm if an injury happens and colbert really wasnt anything to brag about. im glad we got something for him.

i wonder why they didnt include patrick kerney in the deal?:confused:

DenBronx
09-16-2008, 03:35 PM
The Hawks are hurtin for certain.

They trade for Colbert and are thinking of signing Koren Robinson.

Boy, I sure am glad we payed Colbert more than San Fran paid Bryant Johnson. Not!

it was reported on sirius nfl network that they just signed robinson.

turftoad
09-16-2008, 03:35 PM
this move makes sense. we have jackson waiting at the helm if an injury happens and colbert really wasnt anything to brag about. im glad we got something for him.

i wonder why they didnt include patrick kerney in the deal?:confused:

Or... Lofa Tatupu. straight up. ;)

Retired_Member_001
09-16-2008, 03:37 PM
This really made my day. :D

I hated the Keary Colbert signing from the second we made it. I knew he would flop, and he did. I don't know what Shanahan was thinking with the signing. I also don't know what some of our fans were thinking when they said he could be a fairly good player. Simple as, Colbert just isn't a very good receiver.

CoachChaz
09-16-2008, 03:39 PM
I was alot happier with Jackson than Colbert, but I dont think either one are necesseties. If we can sign Marshall long term, him and Royal will be studs. Even Stokley is expendible, IMO.

Just wish we had the same luck with DL's

dogfish
09-16-2008, 03:43 PM
WIN!!!!

:first:

hell, getting a 9th round pick for him woulda been a win in my book. . . .

i love the fact that we're stockpiling all these extra late-round picks. . . now we need to spend every one of them on freakin' DLs and hope one of them knows how to rush the passer. . .

DenBronx
09-16-2008, 03:44 PM
well...this frees up another roster spot. shanny desperately needs some help on the dl. any old vets out there worth a look??? anyone on a practice squad we can sign or anyone we can trade for???

MOtorboat
09-16-2008, 03:45 PM
See...I knew the Seahawks would get better. :coffee:

claymore
09-16-2008, 03:46 PM
There goes my adopt a Bronco..... I huess Ill take Moss. He looks lonely.

DenBronx
09-16-2008, 03:47 PM
WIN!!!!

i love the fact that we're stockpiling all these extra late-round picks. . . now we need to spend every one of them on freakin' DLs and hope one of them knows how to rush the passer. . .

hey, we should have gave the seahawks a draft pick just to make it fair. :laugh: i didnt like the colbert signing....ever. lelie would have been a better option and that says alot because lelie is garbage.

Retired_Member_001
09-16-2008, 03:50 PM
WIN!!!!

Me and you were the two strongest critics of this signing. :first:

I also agree, piling up all these late rounders is really going to help. In fact, we could probably package them all up for a higher draft pick, or possibly another player.

frauschieze
09-16-2008, 04:05 PM
See...I knew the Seahawks would get better. :coffee:

LMAO! I will never doubt you again, MB. :laugh:

(It still isn't enough to make Seattle a factor. ;))

hamrob
09-16-2008, 04:10 PM
Good news...but it doesn't sound like we got squat...so who cares. I'm just glad we didn't give them D-Jack. Now, we can bring Martinez back...is my guess.

Buff
09-16-2008, 04:13 PM
Good move. Dude was dead weight-- mediocre receivers are a dime a dozen... Draft picks are not.

SmilinAssasSin27
09-16-2008, 04:15 PM
Didn't Myers get released from Cincy? Might be decent depth for the DL since we only got rid of him for last year's DC.

DenBronx
09-16-2008, 04:15 PM
Good news...but it doesn't sound like we got squat...so who cares. I'm just glad we didn't give them D-Jack. Now, we can bring Martinez back...is my guess.

i think martinez was signed by someone

DenBronx
09-16-2008, 04:17 PM
Didn't Myers get released from Cincy? Might be decent depth for the DL since we only got rid of him for last year's DC.

i wouldnt mind myers coming back for depth. i think thomas and robertson could really use more rotations to keep them fresh.

Buff
09-16-2008, 04:38 PM

I thought Myers was always a good, high-motor player... Just a little undersized. But Cincy is sort of in the same boat as us in that they could really use DT help, so if they released Myers, that's probably some sort of a red flag.

I think the coaches want to give Shaw a chance too-- Shanahan was commenting on his toughness at the press conference yesterday.

honz
09-16-2008, 05:02 PM
So I have read that we received a fifth rounder that could be upgraded to a 4th and i have also read that we swapped picks with Seattle. Anyone know for sure what it is?

Either way, I'm glad we got something for him.

dogfish
09-16-2008, 06:13 PM
So I have read that we received a fifth rounder that could be upgraded to a 4th and i have also read that we swapped picks with Seattle. Anyone know for sure what it is?

On Tuesday, the Broncos announced the trading of Keary Colbert to the Seattle Seahawks in exchange for a conditional pick in the 2009 NFL Draft.

Colbert signed with the Broncos this offseason, and played in both of the Broncos’ games this season.

He did not record a catch.

The Seahawks receiving corps has been decimated by injuries early this season. Nate Burleson and Ben Obamanu are out for the season. Bobby Engram and Deion Branch have injuries that will most likely hold them out until after Seattle’s bye on Sept. 28, according to The Seattle Times. To top it off, receivers Seneca Wallace and Logan Payne were injured in the Seahawks’ Week 2 contest against the 49ers.

Colbert becomes the second former Bronco to join the Seahawks in the last few days — Samie Parker, who was in Denver during training camp, signed with the team last Wednesday.

-Gray Caldwell, DenverBroncos.com

Buff
09-16-2008, 06:20 PM

Adam Schefter just said "Conditional 5th Rounder" on NFLN. So I'd say 5th that could turn into a 4th sounds right, otherwise they'd say "Conditional 6th rounder"

dogfish
09-16-2008, 06:22 PM
Adam Schefter just said "Conditional 5th Rounder" on NFLN. So I'd say 5th that could turn into a 4th sounds right, otherwise they'd say "Conditional 6th rounder"

either way it's a good deal-- we basically turned nothing into something. . . if we actually get a 4th out of him i will be delerious with happiness. . . and i might start calling them the seattle redskins. . . :laugh:

turftoad
09-16-2008, 06:24 PM
Me and you were the two strongest critics of this signing. :first:

I also agree, piling up all these late rounders is really going to help. In fact, we could probably package them all up for a higher draft pick, or possibly another player.

I HATED this signing from the beginning.

Hobe
09-16-2008, 06:46 PM
Hey, we picked up Colbert long before any one know how good Royal was going to be. With Eddie shining like a bright new penny, we don't need the security backup any more. Its a good move.

claymore
09-16-2008, 06:57 PM
You guys leave Colbert out of all this smack talk...... We all know a receiver of his caliber cannot excel in this system.

:heh:

BeefStew25
09-16-2008, 07:03 PM
This helps us for the offseason to get either Magulaualuaua or Laurenitisitis.

BigDaddyBronco
09-16-2008, 07:10 PM
You guys leave Colbert out of all this smack talk...... We all know a receiver of his caliber cannot excel in this system.

:heh:
Why don't you adopt Patrick Ramsey, he seems to need some love. :coffee:

claymore
09-16-2008, 07:12 PM
Why don't you adopt Patrick Ramsey, he seems to need some love. :coffee:

Whoever I adopt wont make the team... :heh:

BigDaddyBronco
09-16-2008, 07:17 PM
Whoever I adopt wont make the team... :heh:

Ok, Ramsey or Paymah then.

claymore
09-16-2008, 07:19 PM
Ok, Ramsey or Paymah then.
Ive got Paymah on my radar. But Im scared we will resign lenny walls. :faint:

BigDaddyBronco
09-16-2008, 07:23 PM
Ive got Paymah on my radar. But Im scared we will resign lenny walls. :faint:
Or Roc Alexander. :shudder:

scott.475
09-16-2008, 07:39 PM
Couldn't we have sent Paymah along, just because? Kind of like "And here is our surpirse bonus! Trade in the next ten minutes and we will send you a free, yes FREE, defensive back!"

BroncoAV06
09-16-2008, 07:44 PM
This helps us for the offseason to get either Magulaualuaua or Laurenitisitis.

Could be. Will all depend on how we finish out the season because Ray looks top ten for sure at that moment and James top 15 so it could be an all or nothing type draft for the Broncos if they target one.

Broncos collecting draft picks
September 16, 2008 5:18 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

Need an NFL player? Call the Denver Broncos.

The team has been trading backup players at a furious rate.

Since Aug. 28, Denver has traded three veterans. Today, Denver shipped backup receiver Keary Colbert to Seattle. On Sept. 2, the Broncos traded reserve cornerback Domonique Foxworth to Atlanta. On Aug. 28, Denver sent guard Montrae Holland to Dallas.

The Broncos have been willing to trade these players because they all were going to be little-used backups. Instead of keeping the veterans in town, they are stockpiling late-round picks.

Denver got a fifth-rounder in 2010 for Holland. It got a seventh-rounder that could be upgraded to a sixth-rounder next year for Foxworth and are set to get a fifth-round pick that can be upgraded to a fourth-rounder for Colbert.

On the surface, these picks don't appear valuable, but often lower-round picks can be packaged to move up in draft trades. While Denver is clearing out veterans, it is giving itself draft-day ammunition down the road.

UPDATE: According to a source close to the situation, Denver is considering replacing Colbert on the 53-man roster with veteran receiver Cliff Russell. He was one of Denver's final cuts in August.

Buff
09-16-2008, 09:13 PM
I wonder if Seattle initially called to inquire about Darrell Jackson, only to get rebuffed. It would make sense that they would try to go after him since he's been in their system.

Davii
09-16-2008, 09:29 PM
Should've traded for someone to replace Paymah

honz
09-16-2008, 09:30 PM
should've Traded For Someone To Replace Paymah
Jmfw!

Dreadnought
09-16-2008, 09:39 PM
Or Roc Alexander. :shudder:

Dear Big Daddy Bronco - re: Your Post.

There is some language which is unacceptable outside the lounge. The word "Roc Alexander" is unacceptable anywhere, anytime, including the Lounge. It is very distressing to many of our posters. I am not sure why the language filter failed to pick it up.

Sincerely, Dreadnought

Superchop 7
09-16-2008, 10:01 PM
Maybe we can add a MLB, ours is on the active roster but inactive during games.

Requiem / The Dagda
09-16-2008, 10:48 PM
Wow? A conditional fifth that can move to a fourth for a guy who didn't catch a pass for us and wasn't supposed to make our team? I had high hopes, but hell yeah for this.

omac
09-16-2008, 10:53 PM
Nice article, BroncoAV06! :salute:

On a side note, I think the Seahawks were looking at Sammie Parker earlier; don't know if they signed him or not.

If Bly can do a better job than Paymah, and if JMFW can step in soon, maybe we can get another mid-late round pick for Paymah. I wouldn't want to trade away Bly, though.

BigDaddyBronco
09-17-2008, 08:06 AM

There is some language which is unacceptable outside the lounge. The word "Roc Alexander" is unacceptable anywhere, anytime, including the Lounge. It is very distressing to many of our posters. I am not sure why the language filter failed to pick it up.

Sincerely, Dreadnought
I still have nightmares of Payton Manning undressing Roc Alexander on the field in Indy with a variety of passes.

Rock Alexander = Hack

Gamechanger
09-17-2008, 08:19 AM
I still have nightmares of Payton Manning undressing Roc Alexander on the field in Indy with a variety of passes.

Rock Alexander = Hack

so he was that forest fire on the field that day huh?

i've never seen someone with 8 degree burns until he played us ;);)

at least you guys got rid of him

scott.475
09-17-2008, 10:08 AM

Sincerely, Dreadnought

Yeah, seriously. Some of us read the forums with our children nearby, for crying out loud!

Flatinum
09-17-2008, 10:20 AM

Rock Alexander = Hack

I still have nightmares of seeing the back of Tony Lilly's jersey all game in that SB blowout to the 'Skins.