PDA

View Full Version : Bill Williamson: Elway scores with John Fox hire

tomjonesrocks
01-14-2011, 04:36 PM
Some good points here that have been made by some other posters--encouraging article nonetheless.

--------------------

Bill Williamson: Elway scores with John Fox hire

John Elway’s first drive as the Denver Broncos’ football leader has ended in the end zone.

John Fox was the best candidate the Denver Broncos interviewed, and his hiring to resurrect the Broncos from the disastrous Josh McDaniels era was the right call. There was talk Thursday that Elway and Denver owner Pat Bowlen would go back to the Broncos’ glory days and hire former Broncos player and coach Rick Dennison to replace McDaniels.

Hiring Fox was a much better option. The Broncos don’t need familiarity and comfort. They need to get better. They need experience. Denver clearly understands that. The Broncos were expected to go to a round of second interviews and make their hire next week. Yet, one day after Fox was in Denver’s building, Denver ensured that he won’t leave.

It was a terrific first move by Elway.

More:
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/23308/elway-scores-with-fox-hire

Juriga72
01-14-2011, 06:08 PM
YES!!!! Lets hire a coach with one winning season in five years and call it "A Score"...

Northman
01-14-2011, 06:10 PM
YES!!!! Lets hire a coach with one winning season in five years and call it "A Score"...

Compared to Dennison who has not resume at all!!!!!!! Score!!!!

The Experience
01-14-2011, 06:13 PM
I am loving John Fox as our head football coach!

TXBRONC
01-14-2011, 06:19 PM

I would rather have Fox than the guy we just shit canned.

Juriga72
01-14-2011, 07:24 PM
HOW can we be happy with a guy who had a worse record than we did ... and hire him a week after he gets fired?

I would much rather have someone with experience like say the guy they hired to replace Fox.....

IF he was good enough to replace Fox THERE, he's good enough to replace McDummy here....

Lancane
01-14-2011, 07:27 PM

You shouldn't can shit, very unhealthy and could cause a lot of medical problems or so I would gander.

All we did was fire a mother****ing shitty...General Manager! :lol:

Lancane
01-14-2011, 07:34 PM
HOW can we be happy with a guy who had a worse record than we did ... and hire him a week after he gets fired?

I would much rather have someone with experience like say the guy they hired to replace Fox.....

IF he was good enough to replace Fox THERE, he's good enough to replace McDummy here....

Best way to look at it, is that it could always be worse...

atwater27
01-14-2011, 07:38 PM

We could have done much worse. Besides, the blue chip coaches were in no way interested in Denver. Fox was the best coach available at the time. I wanted Cowher or Gruden. But they didn't want me.

jhildebrand
01-14-2011, 07:45 PM

I kind of liked studesville ;)

Agent of Orange
01-14-2011, 07:58 PM
Well, I have a fondness for the ZBS. Fox has already said ZBS will be a part of it but, obviously, it wont be dedicated to it. Either way, I wanted a coach who could bring balance to the offense, namely someone who sees the value in the running game. Fox hits all the right notes in that regard both in what he says and also in what he does (based on what youve seen from Carolina).

The other thing is, he's a likeable guy. I want to be able to like the guy who is coaching the Broncos.

I was kind of surprised at how enthused he was about this. My big concern was that he would be suffering burnout. It doesnt really seem like that. So that concern has been abated for the time being.

T.K.O.
01-14-2011, 08:03 PM
worked out pretty well the last time we hired some dude that got "shit canned";)

rationalfan
01-14-2011, 08:23 PM
i still think mcd will be a very, very good coach someday, and kind of wish he was still in denver (kind of). and i was pretty ambivalent about the fox hire. but after hearing fox talk i get the sense he's not just blowin smoke up some asses when he says (paraphrasing) he wants to redeem himself after the last few years in carolina.

fox sounds like a guy with a determined drive to win a ring; not just the hope that he'll coach a team good enough to win a ring.

i'd take that any day over a bigger name coach coasting on past success (gruden, cowher, shanahan).

Dzone
01-14-2011, 08:40 PM
I feel bad for Pat Bowlen..OMG, he looks like he is in a fog. I wonder if he is heavily medicated. Kind of seems that way. He didnt even have his tie tied right..sad. Very sad.

Juriga72
01-14-2011, 09:58 PM
worked out pretty well the last time we hired some dude that got "shit canned";)

Well that is true... but did Shanny have ONE winning record his last five at Oakland when he got shit canned? Cause THATS what Fox has done....

STILL...... how come no other coach fired this year has a NEW job, and Fox had the worst record of all of them....

:confused:

ladypanther
01-14-2011, 10:25 PM
Surprised by your hire. Will elaborate later. Fox seems to be a good person....a guy everyone likes and wishes the best for him.

Superchop 7
01-16-2011, 02:06 AM
Compared to McDummy.......I'm elated.

BeefStew25
01-16-2011, 02:18 AM
Surprised by your hire. Will elaborate later. Fox seems to be a good person....a guy everyone likes and wishes the best for him.

Thanks Josina.