PDA

View Full Version : Sal Sunseri in contact with Broncos for opening...

Traveler
01-14-2011, 12:32 PM
By Tommy Deas Executive Sports Editor
Published: Thursday, January 13, 2011 at 4:44 p.m.
Last Modified: Thursday, January 13, 2011 at 4:44 p.m.

TUSCALOOSA |University of Alabama assistant head coach Sal Sunseri has been in contact with newly-hired Denver Broncos coach John Fox about joining the staff of the National Football League team, the Tuscaloosa News has learned.

http://www.tidesports.com/article/20110113/NEWS/110119844/1011?Title=Alabama-s-Sunseri-in-contact-with-Broncos-for-opening

Possible Dline Coach?

BroncoStud
01-14-2011, 01:10 PM
This move makes Denver the odds on favorite to win the Super Bowl next season.

Traveler
01-14-2011, 01:15 PM
This move makes Denver the odds on favorite to win the Super Bowl next season.

Sarcasm much?;)

Seriously, he would be a great addition if we can get him.

dogfish
01-14-2011, 01:17 PM
i approve. . .

red98
01-14-2011, 01:21 PM
By Tommy Deas Executive Sports Editor
Published: Thursday, January 13, 2011 at 4:44 p.m.
Last Modified: Thursday, January 13, 2011 at 4:44 p.m.

TUSCALOOSA |University of Alabama assistant head coach Sal Sunseri has been in contact with newly-hired Denver Broncos coach John Fox about joining the staff of the National Football League team, the Tuscaloosa News has learned.

http://www.tidesports.com/article/20110113/NEWS/110119844/1011?Title=Alabama-s-Sunseri-in-contact-with-Broncos-for-opening

Possible Dline Coach?

Hard to believe he would leave Alabama, where his son is as a player, to come back to the NFL as a position coach.

Wonder if he's in line for the new DC?

dogfish
01-14-2011, 01:57 PM
Hard to believe he would leave Alabama, where his son is as a player, to come back to the NFL as a position coach.

i bet it's either DC or assistant HC/D-line. . .

cardoso
01-14-2011, 02:11 PM
Oh John fox I'm loving you already let's do this!

Riveralution
01-14-2011, 02:21 PM
He'd be a great hire.
He was our DL coach here with Foxy for the longest time.
I'd say it's not too far-fetch'd to think he's a DC candidate..

rcsodak
01-14-2011, 08:01 PM
Sarcasm much?;)

Seriously, he would be a great addition if we can get him.

Soooooo...you say this because you know him?

Hell, I've never heard of the dude.

Why did he leave the Panthers?

Why did he go to a college team, and end up just coaching LB's?

Sure glad you're giddy about him. :rolleyes:

Agent of Orange
01-14-2011, 08:06 PM
We should still take Fairley over Dareus if he is there.

cardoso
01-15-2011, 01:10 AM
Soooooo...you say this because you know him?

Hell, I've never heard of the dude.

you've never heard of him....mmm....ok....who are you?? If you don't know who someone is that means they are not good? LOL ok dude :lol:

Why did he leave the Panthers?
LOL you're questions are hilarious! you tell us why he left! Does leaving a job indicate anything other than you wanted a different job?

Why did he go to a college team, and end up just coaching LB's?
WRONG! he's the assistant head coach and linebacker coach. And his team just won the national championship, and his defense just shut down one of the most powerful offenses in recent years. what's wrong with being a college coach? alot of nfl players end up coaching in college and end up back in the NFL as a coach. Do you follow football?

you continue to show how little you know.

Sure glad you're giddy about him. :rolleyes:

you're football knowledge is bad, really bad.

cardoso
01-15-2011, 01:12 AM
Just in case there's another guy that "hasn't heard of him" :lol:

In year one at Alabama, Sunseri helped guide the Crimson Tide to the National Championship behind a dominant defense that ranked second nationally in four major categories - rushing defense, pass efficiency defense, total defense and scoring defense. Sunseri's NFL experience with the pass rush helped Alabama greatly increase production in that area. UA totaled 32 sacks in 2009 and 98 tackles for loss, despite losing one of its best pass rushers in linebacker Dont'a Hightower early in the season to injury. Alabama was also well-represented on the AP All-America team with three defenders earning first-team honors, including Butkus winner Rolando McClain.

Sunseri's defensive line with the Panthers was regarded as one of the best in the NFL. Defensive end Julius Peppers, defensive end Mike Rucker and defensive tackle Kris Jenkins earned Pro Bowl honors during Sunseri's tenure. He produced at least one Pro Bowl defensive lineman in five of six seasons as defensive line coach. The Panthers were among the top 10 in the NFL in terms of fewest yards allowed in four of his seven seasons and made three playoff appearances.

Sunseri came to Carolina as a defensive assistant in 2002 and took over as defensive line coach in 2003. It was a seamless transition as the Panthers defensive line remained one of the best in the NFL in 2003 under Sunseri. Carolina ranked eighth in overall defense, 11th against the run and seventh in sacks per pass play. The defensive line accounted for 32.5 of the team's 40 total sacks and also produced a pair of Pro Bowl players in Jenkins and Rucker.

The Panthers' defensive line has provided more than its share of superlatives. In 2006, the Panthers ranked seventh in yards allowed and seventh in sacks per play as two members of the starting unit, Peppers and Jenkins, were selected to the NFC Pro Bowl squad. In 2005, Carolina finished third in yards allowed, fourth against the rush and fifth in sacks per pass play. In 2008, Carolina ranked ninth in the NFL and fifth in the NFC in sacks (37.0) while also ranking 12th in the NFL and sixth in the NFC in scoring defense (20.6 ppg). Peppers earned his fourth trip to the Pro Bowl and established a new career-high with 14.5 sacks.

Lancane
01-15-2011, 01:35 AM
I'd say that he is almost surely being looked at for the defensive coordinator position, I don't see how someone with his credentials is interested in a post to be a positional coach once again.

UnderArmour
01-15-2011, 01:38 AM

Yeah, it doesn't seem like he can be pried from Alabama, it is by far a more stable position after all. The position offered is likely Assistant HC - Defensive Line.

bcbronc
01-15-2011, 01:45 AM
Just in case there's another guy that "hasn't heard of him" :lol:

In year one at Alabama, Sunseri helped guide the Crimson Tide to the National Championship behind a dominant defense that ranked second nationally in four major categories - rushing defense, pass efficiency defense, total defense and scoring defense. Sunseri's NFL experience with the pass rush helped Alabama greatly increase production in that area. UA totaled 32 sacks in 2009 and 98 tackles for loss, despite losing one of its best pass rushers in linebacker Dont'a Hightower early in the season to injury. Alabama was also well-represented on the AP All-America team with three defenders earning first-team honors, including Butkus winner Rolando McClain.

Sunseri's defensive line with the Panthers was regarded as one of the best in the NFL. Defensive end Julius Peppers, defensive end Mike Rucker and defensive tackle Kris Jenkins earned Pro Bowl honors during Sunseri's tenure. He produced at least one Pro Bowl defensive lineman in five of six seasons as defensive line coach. The Panthers were among the top 10 in the NFL in terms of fewest yards allowed in four of his seven seasons and made three playoff appearances.

Sunseri came to Carolina as a defensive assistant in 2002 and took over as defensive line coach in 2003. It was a seamless transition as the Panthers defensive line remained one of the best in the NFL in 2003 under Sunseri. Carolina ranked eighth in overall defense, 11th against the run and seventh in sacks per pass play. The defensive line accounted for 32.5 of the team's 40 total sacks and also produced a pair of Pro Bowl players in Jenkins and Rucker.

The Panthers' defensive line has provided more than its share of superlatives. In 2006, the Panthers ranked seventh in yards allowed and seventh in sacks per play as two members of the starting unit, Peppers and Jenkins, were selected to the NFC Pro Bowl squad. In 2005, Carolina finished third in yards allowed, fourth against the rush and fifth in sacks per pass play. In 2008, Carolina ranked ninth in the NFL and fifth in the NFC in sacks (37.0) while also ranking 12th in the NFL and sixth in the NFC in scoring defense (20.6 ppg). Peppers earned his fourth trip to the Pro Bowl and established a new career-high with 14.5 sacks.

I'm giddy.

:defense::defense:

JDL
01-15-2011, 02:02 AM
Great coach, not necessarily going to be the DC... might be an AHC. But, Fox knows DBs, so regardless of what position he takes... he'd be good to handle the rest of the D.

dogfish
01-15-2011, 02:24 AM
Yesterday, the Denver Broncos announced that former Carolina Panthers head coach John Fox would be taking over at Mile High in the same role. As Fox begins the process of building his staff, one name that has popped up on the hiring radar is Sunseri, who spent nearly a decade with Fox both in Carolina and the University of Pittsburgh.

Today, the TideSports.com is reporting that Fox has, indeed, reached out to Sunseri. However, no response has been issued by the outside linebackers coach and it’s unclear as to what role Sunseri would be taking with the Broncos if he accepts.

Sunseri was previously shunned by Pittsburgh for their head coaching vacancy. The job ultimately went to Todd Graham.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/14/alabama-assistant-sunseri-in-contention-for-broncos-position/

:defense::defense:

Skinny
01-15-2011, 06:55 PM
Alabama coach Nick Saban denies a report linking Denver Broncos and Sal Sunseri

TUSCALOOSA -- Nick Saban rejected a single-sourced report Saturday linking Alabama assistant Sal Sunseri and the Denver Broncos.

"Sal Sunseri would come to me," Saban said. "I know (Denver Broncos coach) John Fox very well. Sal has worked for John Fox (with the Carolina Panthers). Sal would come to me and tell me if he had been contacted as all of our coaches have done, and that has not occurred. That's not to say it might not occur, but it has not occurred to this point."

Rest of the story... http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/01/alabama_coach_nick_saban_denie.html

SmilinAssasSin27
01-15-2011, 07:21 PM
I'd be cool with this.

Superchop 7
01-15-2011, 08:08 PM
The reality is this. The defense HAS to get better in a hurry if Tebow is allowed to develop.

BeefStew25
01-16-2011, 01:32 AM
Is Sunseri an Arab name?

dogfish
01-16-2011, 02:24 AM
Is Sunseri an Arab name?

indonesian, but he's black on his mom's side. . .

BeefStew25
01-16-2011, 02:25 AM
indonesian, but he's black on his mom's side. . .

I smoked a Cuban this eve.