PDA

View Full Version : New Broncos coach Fox brings rough-and-tumble approach to his teams

TXBRONC
01-14-2011, 11:51 AM
New Broncos coach Fox brings rough-and-tumble approach to his teams
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
Posted: 01/14/2011 01:00:00 AM MSTUpdated: 01/14/2011 01:19:11 AM MST

If you were one of the 10 other San Diego State defensive players on the field with John Fox, you made sure to remember one thing: Look out.

Fox, who was a starting safety for the Aztecs in the late 1970s, always was looking to hit someone, even if that meant a collision with one of his teammates.

"You talk about tough players? Foxy was a tough player," said former NFL head coach Herm Edwards, who played alongside Fox at SDSU. "You knew that if there was a pile, you need to get off, because he was coming in to clean off the pile, even if that meant hitting you."

That tactic earned him the nickname "Crash" and a reputation among his teammates as being one tough dude.

So it is no surprise that "tough" is the first trait that Fox demands from his players.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17092257

At this time I would take the bets we have better chance of playing smart, tough, physical football with Fox than we did with his predecessor.

dunk7
01-14-2011, 11:56 AM
I'm hoping the hiring of Fox gives us the inside track on getting DeAngelo Williams.

TXBRONC
01-14-2011, 12:08 PM
I'm hoping the hiring of Fox gives us the inside track on getting DeAngelo Williams.

There are a lot of people hoping that it will. I do and I don't. I wouldn't mind having because he is talented but I am concerned about how gets hurt and can't play.

dunk7
01-14-2011, 12:22 PM
There are a lot of people hoping that it will. I do and I don't. I wouldn't mind having because he is talented but I am concerned about how gets hurt and can't play.

True...we can expect a half of a season from him and half from Moreno. ;-)

ikillz0mbies
01-14-2011, 12:22 PM

It would be great if the Broncos can get Williams and bring a two-man rushing attack back in Denver. It would keep Moreno and Williams both fresh.

TXBRONC
01-14-2011, 12:24 PM
True...we can expect a half of a season from him and half from Moreno. ;-)

:lol:

Seriously if we do get him and he can stay relatively heathy he'll be productive.

rcsodak
01-14-2011, 08:26 PM
At this time I would take the bets we have better chance of playing smart, tough, physical football with Fox than we did with his predecessor.

Pure conjecture on your part. Some might say he was a dirty player, and NOT a very smart player, if he was hitting his own teammates, let alone opening himself up for a 15yd penalty.

That's what I get from that article. :coffee:

rcsodak
01-14-2011, 08:30 PM
It would be great if the Broncos can get Williams and bring a two-man rushing attack back in Denver. It would keep Moreno and Williams both fresh.

Evidently you forgot about Ball/Buck/and White.

DL need > RB non-need

bcbronc
01-14-2011, 09:05 PM

DL need > RB non-need

certainly agree that DL is the bigger need...but it's not the *only* need. we do need to upgrade the RB rotation, and brining in a guy like DeA means we don't have to use a draft pick.

imo Moreno, Ball, Buck don't cut it if Fox does plan on bringing a rough and tumble running game to Mile High. that's "versatile" depth, which has value, but Fox is going to want "game changing" depth (the Panthers did take 1st round RBs in 2006 and 2008).

DeAngelo, Moreno, White (type), Ball looks much better.

nevcraw
01-14-2011, 10:07 PM
Pure conjecture on your part. Some might say he was a dirty player, and NOT a very smart player, if he was hitting his own teammates, let alone opening himself up for a 15yd penalty.

aww.. did someone get their panties bunched when Elway didn't hire their fave?? or just chapped Mcd wasn't given more time to finish off the franchise?

ikillz0mbies
01-15-2011, 02:29 AM

DL need > RB non-need

I realize that, but in terms of free agency, why not go after Williams? The Broncos running game was non-existent this year. Broncos have holes everywhere including RB. Buck is on the decline and White is coming off a season ending injury, in addition to a few weight issues. The Broncos can focus on the DL in the draft, but it's not absurd to address the RB situation with a proven player who is familiar with the new coach. I mean seriously, WHEN Moreno goes down with an injury, you can't count on Buck and Ball to carry the majority of the load in a run-heavy offense that Fox is going to run.

All I'm saying is, going after a good RB that's familiar with Coach Fox doesn't hurt.

TXBRONC
01-15-2011, 08:43 AM

First of all RC there is NO conjecture that under McDaniels Denver did not play smart, tough, physical football as he had promised. That is an undeniable fact.

Second, I think you missed the real point of the article. The point article is making is that he has proven track record of developing smart, tough, physical football teams.

Juriga72
01-15-2011, 08:59 AM
Ok.....
Fox is supposed to coach "Tough, Smart, Ready to go!!!!! Football teams"..huh....

Our "Old- nothing doing, going nowhere coach" Shanny went 47-33 his last five years here.

Our NEW "He knows EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!! coach" went 37-43 his last five years

TXBRONC
01-15-2011, 10:20 AM
Ok.....
Fox is supposed to coach "Tough, Smart, Ready to go!!!!! Football teams"..huh....

Our "Old- nothing doing, going nowhere coach" Shanny went 47-33 his last five years here.

Our NEW "He knows EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!! coach" went 37-43 his last five years

Hold hoss whose claiming the guy knows everything? No one is as far as I know. Since Shanahan isn't available to us and considering monumental cluster _____ that McDaniels left behind I would rather have Fox than McDaniels. McDaniels claimed he would bring smart, tough, physical football to Denver and he didn't deliver. Fox at the very least has had some measure of success in this League as a head coach. No he's not Shanahan, but Fox isn't replacing Shanahan he's replacing McDaniels. For my money since Shanahan isn't coming back I think I would rather have I would rather have Fox.

Juriga72
01-15-2011, 11:41 AM
Hold hoss whose claiming the guy knows everything? No one is as far as I know. Since Shanahan isn't available to us and considering monumental cluster _____ that McDaniels left behind I would rather have Fox than McDaniels. McDaniels claimed he would bring smart, tough, physical football to Denver and he didn't deliver. Fox at the very least has had some measure of success in this League as a head coach. No he's not Shanahan, but Fox isn't replacing Shanahan he's replacing McDaniels. For my money since Shanahan isn't coming back I think I would rather have I would rather have Fox.

I understand that Fox is WAY better than McDummy....HELL...anyone with a pulse would be a better choice.

I am just not sold right now on him. MY point is to those who are saying about Fox-"You can't take his last year" when comparing his record as a coach...

I CAN take his record for the last five years tho:
Scoring ranks-
2010- 32nd
2009-21st
2008-7th
2007-26th
2006-27th NOT really setting my heart a fire there

"He's a DEFENSE coach!!!!"-
Scoring D-
2010- 26th
2009-9th
2008-12th
2007-15th
2006-8th

For a guy known as a "Defensive Guru!!!!!" thats really not doing that well either I mean heck even our 7th ranked scoring defense LAST year was better than anything he did.

I just think that we settled for Fox. John panicked and picked up "A guy his players liked". That to me is not how it should have been done IMHO.

THIS is why I am not doing backflips over Fox right now, helll even McDummy had more wins than he did while he imploded us for his two years here.

Superchop 7
01-16-2011, 01:14 AM
My biggest concern is his track record in free agency.

Jason Williams (2 starts)
Thomas Williams
Wallace Wright
Marcus Hudson
David Clowney
Rhys Lloyd
Abdul Hodge

Derek Landri (16 starts, still with team)
Hollis Thomas (13 starts, out of football 2010)
Kenny Moore (1 start, cut 2010)
A.J. Feeley (left for Rams 2010)
Jordan Senn

Tyler Brayton (45 starts, resigned through 2012)
Keydrick Vincent (30 starts, out of football 2010)
Muhsin Muhammad (28 starts, retired 2010)
Landon Johnson (3 starts, cut 2010)
D.J. Hackett (2 starts, cut 2009)
Darwin Walker (2 starts, out of football 2009)
Mark Jones (left for Titans 2009, out of football 2010)

Deke Cooper (15 starts, out of football 2008)
Vinny Testaverde (6 starts, retired 2008)
David Carr (4 starts, cut 2008)
Marquand Manuel (2 starts)
Frank Omiyale (1 start in 2008, left for Chicago 2009)
Rhys Lloyd (STer through 2009, left for Vikings 2010)
Dante Wesley (STer through 2009, left for Detroit 2010)
Curtis Deloatch (cut 2008)
Travis Taylor (cut 2008)

BeefStew25
01-16-2011, 01:24 AM
A) Foxy didn't have personnel power
B) Moreno needs to realize he isn't a sacred India(n) cow
C) Tubby and Beefs mock is going pwn.
D) Mormons are power trippers.