PDA

View Full Version : Week 2 Power Rankings

CoachChaz
09-16-2008, 10:20 AM
32. Kansas City (0-2) - Completely owned by Oakland. That just doesnt even sound right

31. Detroit (0-2) - This team could screw up a good buzz. The team, like the organization, is pathetic.

30. St. Louis (0-2) - Tough schedule not helping

29. San Francisco (1-1) - OT win was nice, but beating Seattle isnt impressive enough

28. Atlanta (1-1) - Faced a decent opponent...back to reality

27. Cincinnati (0-2) - Miserable outing against a tough defense...again

26. Miami (0-2) - It's going to be a long season

25. Seattle (0-2) - Defense was the one thing they had going for them...til the 9ers decimated that

24. Oakland (1-1) - Looked decent...but didnt have much of an opponent

23. Baltimore (1-0) - Unscheduled BYE week.

22. Houston (0-1) - Unscheduled BYE week

21. Arizona (2-0) - 2-0 start...against really bad teams. They'll come back to Earth eventually.

20. NY Jets (1-1) - Too much talent to look this mediocre

19. Cleveland (0-2) - After focusing on fixing the run defense, they just cant stop the run.

18. Jacksonville (0-2) - Man-handled by Buffalo. Pre-season hopes are dying each week

17. Washington (1-1) - Stepped up against a strong Saints team. Could play havov in the NFC East

16. Minnesota (0-2) - 0-2, but looking pretty good while losing

15. Tennessee (2-0) - This defense will help them win a few games...Chris Johnson will help.

14. Tampa Bay (1-1) - Handled a solid running team. Can Griese lead them?

13. Chicago (1-1) - Hard to say they played bad against a mirror image team

12. New Orleans (1-1) - Tough loss to a mediocre team. Tough week ahead

11. Denver (2-0) - Is it better to be lucky than good? The defense and ST are not good and they got lucky on a bad call.

10. Pittsburgh (2-0) - Solid consistent Steelers football

9. Green Bay (2-0) - Rodgers continues to make the Favre trade look really good.

8. Carolina (2-0) - Two wins against two top defenses.

7. Buffalo (2-0) - I repeat...Most improved team in the NFL

6. Indianapolis (1-1) - Big comeback win...is that the new Colts gameplan?

5. San Diego (0-2) - Tough break after a big comeback. Best 0-2 team on the planet. If they can win a few calls, they'll still win 11 or more

4. Philadelphia (1-1) - Not bad to lose by 4 against a strong team, in their house, without your top 2 WR's

3. New England (2-0) - Maybe they can win with a high school QB and a weak schedule

2. NY Giants (2-0) - 6 sacks this week. I dont think losing Strahan and Umenyiora is hurting them...yet

1. Dallas (2-0) - Outlasted a really tough Philly team. Next week will be interesting

MHCBill
09-16-2008, 10:46 AM
The sky is falling, the sky is falling.

Hate to see you be positive.

You mask your negativity in "well, I'm just being realistic".

Anyone that has any 0-2 team for any reason as a top five team has zero credibility.

Sorry, I'm just being realistic.

Northman
09-16-2008, 10:50 AM
Their defense gives up 39 points and they are the best 0-2 team on the planet?

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaa!

CoachChaz
09-16-2008, 10:59 AM
The Chargers give up 39 to a team that after 2 weeks is leading the NFL in PPG and YPG.

History tends to repeat itself, so I always look at history and how it relates to today. I'm reminded of how quickly everyone wrote off the 1993 Cowboys after they started 0-2 with their star running back not in the lineup, then missed key players all season due to injuries. Remind me again who it was that finished 12-4 that year and won the Super Bowl.

If the Chargers continue to lose, then I'll drop them down. In the meantime...I just dont think they are anywhere as bad as MOST would assume their current record dictates.

underrated29
09-16-2008, 11:01 AM
I think thats pretty spot on. The chargers are a real good team. They started out last year 0-2 i think. They will get to about 12-4. They have a super easy schedule to work with.

Still we should be ranked higher than them. After all we did beat them.

CoachChaz
09-16-2008, 11:05 AM
The Chargers are two last minute touchdowns away from being 2-0...and lets face it...does a bad call by a referee make a team bad? They came back from a big deficit and had the game won had it not been for a bad call. Last week, the refs missed one on the Gates fumble that lead to a Carolina TD.

Sorry if it pisses you all off, but two bad breaks keep the Chargers from being 2-0...that's not going to happen to them every week and they will be a team to reckon with. Quit looking at numbers on paper and be "realisitc". They are much better than their record indicates.

CoachChaz
09-16-2008, 11:08 AM
Their defense gives up 39 points and they are the best 0-2 team on the planet?

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaa!

San Diego
Minnesota
Detroit
Seattle
St. Louis
Miami
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Jacksonville
Kansas City

Which of these 0-2 teams is the best? Prove it's someone other than SD and you can ridicule my statement all you want

Northman
09-16-2008, 11:10 AM
The Chargers give up 39 to a team that after 2 weeks is leading the NFL in PPG and YPG.

History tends to repeat itself, so I always look at history and how it relates to today. I'm reminded of how quickly everyone wrote off the 1993 Cowboys after they started 0-2 with their star running back not in the lineup, then missed key players all season due to injuries. Remind me again who it was that finished 12-4 that year and won the Super Bowl.

If the Chargers continue to lose, then I'll drop them down. In the meantime...I just dont think they are anywhere as bad as MOST would assume their current record dictates.

I disagree. That Cowboys team had a much better defense and only gave up 35 points at the most to the defending Super Bowl Champion Redskins in the first game of the year without Emitt Smith to boot. Sure, the Chargers can turn it around and they are a good team but in no way do they deserve a 5 ranking with a piss poor defense like that. No way.

CoachChaz
09-16-2008, 11:14 AM
I disagree. That Cowboys team had a much better defense and only gave up 35 points at the most to the defending Super Bowl Champion Redskins in the first game of the year without Emitt Smith to boot. Sure, the Chargers can turn it around and they are a good team but in no way do they deserve a 5 ranking with a piss poor defense like that. No way.

Which is closer to the truth...the Chargers defense sucks...or the Broncos offense is really good.

Denver has played two solid defensive teams so far and put numbers up on both of them. I would lean more towards the Denver offense being really good right now than I would the SD defense being bad. No, it's not what it was, but it has been altered and needs to adjust to the loss of its best player.

If SD isnt a serious Super Bowl contender at the end of the season, i will be happy, but extremely shocked.

Northman
09-16-2008, 11:20 AM
Which is closer to the truth...the Chargers defense sucks...or the Broncos offense is really good.

Denver has played two solid defensive teams so far and put numbers up on both of them. I would lean more towards the Denver offense being really good right now than I would the SD defense being bad. No, it's not what it was, but it has been altered and needs to adjust to the loss of its best player.

If SD isnt a serious Super Bowl contender at the end of the season, i will be happy, but extremely shocked.

I never stated they wouldnt be in the playoff hunt nor did i state that they wouldnt even have a winning record. Bad breaks happen to a lot of teams, thats not a valid excuse for a team to have massive defensive breakdowns in their first two games where they were winning. Im sorry you got offended by my comments but you did post your rankings up there to be talked about. There are a number of teams who are 1-1 that i would still put up ahead of both Denver and San Diego. But its your list, i just happen to disagree with the reasoning and outlook of your placement of the Chargers.

Flatinum
09-16-2008, 11:25 AM

That's a rotten defense. No pressure on Jay all day. Top 5, not right now. They can have the title of "Best 0-2 team". Just like a few years ago when they were the "Best Non-Playoff Team". By the way what does that mean? They better watch how big a hole they dig for themselves this year because unlike last year there's another quality team in their division.

Don't be too quick to give them 12 wins. Their sked is far from easy with games against NE, Pittsburgh and Indy. Not to mention TB, NO, Buffalo and Denver again, non of which will be cake walks.

Northman
09-16-2008, 11:34 AM
That's a rotten defense. No pressure on Jay all day. Top 5, not right now. They can have the title of "Best 0-2 team". Just like a few years ago when they were the "Best Non-Playoff Team". By the way what does that mean? They better watch how big a hole they dig for themselves this year because unlike last year there's another quality team in their division.

Don't be too quick to give them 12 wins. Their sked is far from easy with games against NE, Pittsburgh and Indy. Not to mention TB, NO, Buffalo and Denver again, non of which will be cake walks.

It just kind of cracks me up that both Denver and San Diego have good offenses but poor defenses and yet one is 2-0 and ranked 11th while the other one is 0-2 and ranked 5th. I just have to shake my head. And the basis for that is on a bad call that going by the current rules of the NFL was the correct call. Not too mention that same Charger defense could not only stop Denver from scoring a TD but scoring a 2 point conversion WITH THE SAME EXACT ROUTE. Then, after all that the Chargers offense still almost got into FG range to win it but yet still couldnt get it done.

Flatinum
09-16-2008, 11:42 AM
It just kind of cracks me up that both Denver and San Diego have good offenses but poor defenses and yet one is 2-0 and ranked 11th while the other one is 0-2 and ranked 5th. I just have to shake my head. And the basis for that is on a bad call that going by the current rules of the NFL was the correct call. Not too mention that same Charger defense could not only stop Denver from scoring a TD but scoring a 2 point conversion WITH THE SAME EXACT ROUTE. Then, after all that the Chargers offense still almost got into FG range to win it but yet still couldnt get it done.

Not to mention it was that same defense that allowed Carolina to march down the field and score a game winning td the week before. That great Carolina offense - minus S.Smith. The Chargers offense is very good, they're defense is very overrated. All I hear about is all the talent they have on defense - where is it? Where was that dominant Dline the past two weeks, how about that great secondary. Please spare me that they were missing their "One Dimensional" best defensive player. An average to below average defense is what the Chargers have.

MOtorboat
09-16-2008, 11:44 AM
You can't please homers unless Denver's No. 1...good job Coach...commend you for putting your opinion out there and on the line.

Northman
09-16-2008, 11:48 AM
You can't please homers unless Denver's No. 1...good job Coach...commend you for putting your opinion out there and on the line.

Dont generalize, it comes off tacky. I never said Denver had to be #1. His opinion is fine but i disagree with it. If he cant handle it, thats not my problem.

MOtorboat
09-16-2008, 11:49 AM
Dont generalize, it comes off tacky. I never said Denver had to be #1. His opinion is fine but i disagree with it. If he cant handle it, thats not my problem.

Mocking him vs. giving your opinion are two different things.

Northman
09-16-2008, 11:50 AM
Mocking him vs. giving your opinion are two different things.

I never mocked him.

MOtorboat
09-16-2008, 11:51 AM
I never mocked him.

I saw it differently.

Northman
09-16-2008, 11:52 AM
I saw it differently.

Well, i just cleared it up for you so now you know.

Mike
09-16-2008, 11:55 AM

I don't think Coach is trying to please anyone. He is posting his opinion...of which people are free to disagree with. ;)

I would have ranked Pittsburgh, Carolina, GB, Buffalo, Chicago, and Denver higher than SD. Probably in that order.

I would have dropped SD and Indy down a bit. NE might be a bit high too. I understand taking team's last couple of seasons into thought, but I think rankings should be based off of this seasons play.

MHCBill
09-16-2008, 12:00 PM
You can't please homers unless Denver's No. 1...good job Coach...commend you for putting your opinion out there and on the line.What's that sucking noise?

MHCBill
09-16-2008, 12:02 PM
You can't please homers unless Denver's No. 1...good job Coach...commend you for putting your opinion out there and on the line.I'd prefer not to be sterotyped into that group.

No way Denver should be #1, but just as equally there's no way they should be behind San Diego.

2-0 is better than 0-2...
Denver beat them...

Flatinum
09-16-2008, 12:42 PM

No homers here. Just call them as I see them. SD has a rotten defense this year. That is a fact. Watch them play, look at the stats. To have a team with a rotten defense in the top 5 is wrong imo.

CoachChaz
09-16-2008, 12:45 PM
Maybe it's a bad analogy by using college football, but I'll try...would anyone here rank a 2-0 or even 8-0 Marshall team over a 0-2 or 4-4 USC team?

Denver beat up on a bad Oakland team and, realistically, got a lucky break in a game they should have won easily. San Diego has had two bad calls and bad breaks against 2 teams that, by the way, are a combined 4-0. I'm not saying that SD is the greatest thing in the world, all I'm saying is they are a much better team than their record would indicate and regardless of the way their defense has played as of late, I still think they are overall a better team than Denver and Carolina. I cant and wont ignore the fact that two VERY questionable calls have them in a situation where they are 0-2.

CoachChaz
09-16-2008, 12:47 PM

Where did defending my opinion come off as me not "handling" yours?

Flatinum
09-16-2008, 12:50 PM
Maybe it's a bad analogy by using college football, but I'll try...would anyone here rank a 2-0 or even 8-0 Marshall team over a 0-2 or 4-4 USC team?

Denver beat up on a bad Oakland team and, realistically, got a lucky break in a game they should have won easily. San Diego has had two bad calls and bad breaks against 2 teams that, by the way, are a combined 4-0. I'm not saying that SD is the greatest thing in the world, all I'm saying is they are a much better team than their record would indicate and regardless of the way their defense has played as of late, I still think they are overall a better team than Denver and Carolina. I cant and wont ignore the fact that two VERY questionable calls have them in a situation where they are 0-2.

No but I'd rank a 2-0 Penn State team ahead of an 0-2 USC team. By the way so would any of the polls.

CoachChaz
09-16-2008, 12:53 PM
No homers here. Just call them as I see them. SD has a rotten defense this year. That is a fact. Watch them play, look at the stats. To have a team with a rotten defense in the top 5 is wrong imo.

Based on 2 games. 2 games in which they faced opponents that have beaten solid defenses in both their own games.

CoachChaz
09-16-2008, 12:55 PM
No but I'd rank a 2-0 Penn State team ahead of an 0-2 USC team. By the way so would any of the polls.

Because the odds are that PSU would have a tougher schedule than Marshall. SD has played two very good teams...Denver played one. But then again...based on everyone's assessment of SD...Denver hasnt faced a good opponent yet.

So would a PSU team that beats up on Alcorn St. and Youngstown St really be better than a USC team that loses in the last minute to Ohio St and Georgia?

Flatinum
09-16-2008, 01:02 PM
Based on 2 games. 2 games in which they faced opponents that have beaten solid defenses in both their own games.

That's all I have to go by right now and in two games the Chargers defense has been brutal. They're 29th in points allowed and 30th in yd's given up. To me that's a rotten defense. You see it differently and I respect that. I'm just giving my opinion.

CoachChaz
09-16-2008, 01:04 PM
If Brett and the Jets whip their asses next week, then I'll reassess, but right now, I still think SD is a very good team with the talent that could very easily turn it on and run off 10 straight wins.

BroncoJoe
09-16-2008, 01:06 PM
Nice job coach. Thanks for sharing.

Northman
09-16-2008, 01:07 PM

See for me, its not even about their records. Its how high you have them. And no, SD does not have a solid defense. Whether its with or without Merriman this isnt the same team from last year and i think thats where your putting your money behind. Denver deserved that win just as much as San Diego did. To say that San Diego is the still the better team just doesnt make any sense considering both defenses gave up a lot of points. If Denver had come out in the second half and added 31 more points without any controversy at the end would you still think they are the 5th best team?

Everyone wants to give Denver a bunch of crap for allowing San Diego back in the game but where was San Diego in the first half? The Chargers have just as much to blame on themselves as Denver does for shooting themselves in the foot. If Jay doesnt fumble the ball and we win still without controversy what then? Too much gets played on "what ifs". What if Eli Manning actually gets sacked on that final drive in the Super Bowl instead of putting up a hail mary. Do you still consider NY to be better than New England last year?

Things happen and just because Denver gets a call to go their way when they had already driven down the field against a Defense that gave up 31 points already doesnt mean that San Diego is the better team in that case. I saw the second half of that game as more of Denver not going for the throat and calling conservative plays than i did about San Diego shutting us down. I consider Jay's interception more on him than Cason making a great play. If we dont shoot ourselves in the foot in the second half that game still isnt close and we win easily. We stopped ourselves, not the other way around.

CoachChaz
09-16-2008, 01:08 PM
That's all I have to go by right now and in two games the Chargers defense has been brutal. They're 29th in points allowed and 30th in yd's given up. To me that's a rotten defense. You see it differently and I respect that. I'm just giving my opinion.

Fair enough, but if I base everything on just 2 games, then I guess I have to put Arizona in the top 10 or even top 5. Right now the Cards are 2-0 with the #7 offense and the #7 defense. Does anyone really think they are that good? No...and I dont think the Chargers are as bad as we've seen so far.

CoachChaz
09-16-2008, 01:10 PM
See for me, its not even about their records. Its how high you have them. And no, SD does not have a solid defense. Whether its with or without Merriman this isnt the same team from last year and i think thats where your putting your money behind. Denver deserved that win just as much as San Diego did. To say that San Diego is the still the better team just doesnt make any sense considering both defenses gave up a lot of points. If Denver had come out in the second half and added 31 more points without any controversy at the end would you still think they are the 5th best team?

Everyone wants to give Denver a bunch of crap for allowing San Diego back in the game but where was San Diego in the first half? The Chargers have just as much to blame on themselves as Denver does for shooting themselves in the foot. If Jay doesnt fumble the ball and we win still without controversy what then? Too much gets played on "what ifs". What if Eli Manning actually gets sacked on that final drive in the Super Bowl instead of putting up a hail mary. Do you still consider NY to be better than New England last year?

Things happen and just because Denver gets a call to go their way when they had already driven down the field against a Defense that gave up 31 points already doesnt mean that San Diego is the better team in that case. I saw the second half of that game as more of Denver not going for the throat and calling conservative plays than i did about San Diego shutting us down. I consider Jay's interception more on him than Cason making a great play. If we dont shoot ourselves in the foot in the second half that game still isnt close and we win easily. We stopped ourselves, not the other way around.

Explain to me how you can make a rebuttal for my opinion based on speculation and then turn around and use the same speculation to prove your point.

Northman
09-16-2008, 01:11 PM
Explain to me how you can make a rebuttal for my opinion based on speculation and then turn around and use the same speculation to prove your point.

What are you talking about?

CoachChaz
09-16-2008, 01:11 PM
I'm just going to change the rankings and put Denver #1, Arizona #2 and San Diego at #32. That's the only thing that seems to be fair at this point based on everyone's argument

Northman
09-16-2008, 01:13 PM
I'm just going to change the rankings and put Denver #1, Arizona #2 and San Diego at #32. That's the only thing that seems to be fair at this point based on everyone's argument

Again not true but geez man if your going to pout about it im sorry i said anything at all champ. Ill leave you be with your rankings.

CoachChaz
09-16-2008, 01:16 PM
What are you talking about?

My ranking is based on what I see overall. AT THIS POINT, I dont see SD as being as bad as they looked defensively last week and I dont see Denver as being as good as they looked offensively. If they are both on the same path 2, 3, 6 weeks from now, then I'll alter what I think and adjust the rankings accordingly.

3 weeks from now, SD could be 3-2 and so could Denver. Then what? It's all about speculation no matter how you look at it, so it goes both ways.

Flatinum
09-16-2008, 01:19 PM

I don't think anyone in this thread thinks Denver is number 1 or even top 5. My opinion (not argument) is that SD's D is overrated and very suspect. Through 2 games it looks like I might be right.

CoachChaz
09-16-2008, 01:19 PM
Again not true but geez man if your going to pout about it im sorry i said anything at all champ. Ill leave you be with your rankings.

Who's pouting? All I'm saying is if I based MY rankings on the theory that everyone else is arguing, then I'd have no choice but to put Denver #1 and Arizona #2.

Tell me you believe that Arizona being 2-0 and keeping their offense and defense ranked #7 will hold up all season.

Northman
09-16-2008, 01:22 PM
Who's pouting? All I'm saying is if I based MY rankings on the theory that everyone else is arguing, then I'd have no choice but to put Denver #1 and Arizona #2.

Tell me you believe that Arizona being 2-0 and keeping their offense and defense ranked #7 will hold up all season.

Im not saying they will. Im not even debating their ranking at the moment. The team that i dont agree with right now is SD and ive stated why. Im not even saying that Denver is ahead of them on your list. Its cool man, its your opinion and you've explained your stance on it. Debate over.

CoachChaz
09-16-2008, 01:23 PM
Thats just how I look at it. It's week 2. Some teams look better than they are and others look worse than they are. I just happen to believe SD is much better than they've looked after only 2 weeks. If Im wrong, the rankings will change weekly. That's all.

UnderArmour
09-16-2008, 02:10 PM
There are a few standard rules of credibility for power rankings:
-Teams without a win cannot be in the top 5.
-If a team beats another, the losing team should be below the winning team if the winning team's record is better. At least for the current week.
You broke both of these rules, it's hard to take this list seriously.

CoachChaz
09-16-2008, 03:29 PM
There are a few standard rules of credibility for power rankings:
-Teams without a win cannot be in the top 5.
-If a team beats another, the losing team should be below the winning team if the winning team's record is better. At least for the current week.
You broke both of these rules, it's hard to take this list seriously.

-Its way too early to dictate where winless teams belong.

-When a 0-11 team beats am 11-0 team, I'll be sure to vault that bad team to the top of the list

Nomad
09-16-2008, 04:22 PM
I'll agree with your rankings. Buffalo is a greatly improved team. Wasn't the Giants 0-2 last year at this time and they said the same thing about the Chargers last year after 2 games, the best 0-2 team.

SmilinAssasSin27
09-16-2008, 07:05 PM
I still don't see how you have Pittsburgh ranked so low. They may have the best D in the league and plenty of weapons on O. The Pats squeak by an awful Jets team and an even worse KC team and ya have em near the top? I dunno...

ApaOps5
09-16-2008, 07:40 PM
I can't believe the Chargers are in the Top 5. That is just funny.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-16-2008, 09:19 PM
Here are the ESPN-NFL power rankings:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/powerranking

UnderArmour
09-16-2008, 09:24 PM
-Its way too early to dictate where winless teams belong.

-When a 0-11 team beats am 11-0 team, I'll be sure to vault that bad team to the top of the list

Reread my 2nd comment please. San Fran should be above Seattle. Denver should be above San Diego. Carolina should be above San Diego.

topscribe
09-16-2008, 09:34 PM
San Diego
Minnesota
Detroit
Seattle
St. Louis
Miami
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Jacksonville
Kansas City

Which of these 0-2 teams is the best? Prove it's someone other than SD and you can ridicule my statement all you want

It's true that SD is better than any of these teams, IMO.

And Denver probably is ranked appropriately until they show just a little bit
more solid defense.

But I still wouldn't put SD above Denver. Denver pushed SD all over the
field for three quarters out of four. Take away three specific big plays, and
we have a 39-17 game.

IMHO.

-----

MOtorboat
09-16-2008, 09:36 PM
It's true that SD is better than any of these teams, IMO.

And Denver probably is ranked appropriately until they show just a little bit
more solid defense.

But I still wouldn't put SD above Denver. Denver pushed SD all over the
field for three quarters out of four. Take away three specific big plays, and
we have a 39-17 game.

IMHO.

-----

And SD dominated the second half...It wasn't just three plays...they stifled our supposed high-powered offense for almost two quarters and they came back from 14 points to take a lead.

San Diego is still one of the best teams in the league, and they still could easily be better than Denver.

topscribe
09-16-2008, 09:40 PM
And SD dominated the second half...It wasn't just three plays...they stifled our supposed high-powered offense for almost two quarters and they came back from 14 points to take a lead.

San Diego is still one of the best teams in the league, and they still could easily be better than Denver.

Well, they could be better than Denver. But not easily. Denver dominated,
then SD dominated, then Denver dominated again.

I would still place Denver above SD in the rankings, based on their victory.

But that's just me. It's all opinion, is it not?

-----

MOtorboat
09-16-2008, 09:41 PM
Well, they could be better than Denver. But not easily. Denver dominated,
then SD dominated, then Denver dominated again.

I would still place Denver above SD in the rankings, based on their victory.

But that's just me. It's all opinion, is it not?

-----

Sure is...yet our writer gets mocked and ridiculed all day for his opinion...

And, yes, they could easily be better than Denver. We have 14 games to play.

topscribe
09-16-2008, 09:54 PM
Sure is...yet our writer gets mocked and ridiculed all day for his opinion...

And, yes, they could easily be better than Denver. We have 14 games to play.

Okay, I have just been through each post in the thread individually. I saw
no mocking or ridiculing. If I missed something, please point out the post to
me. I will not tolerate mocking and ridiculing, and neither will any of the other
Mods, but I honestly saw none, Mo.

-----

Northman
09-16-2008, 10:05 PM
Here are the ESPN-NFL power rankings:

Yea, i would say this is about dead on.

Thnikkaman
09-16-2008, 10:57 PM
I like that the USA Today Rankings have us 5 and the Chargers 6

BroncoJoe
09-16-2008, 11:03 PM
I've said it here, and I've said it before at the Freak.

This http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/nfl08.htm is the best, non-opinionated view of the teams.

That said, I like and appreciate the time Coach put into his rankings. It's his opinion. Remember that please.

Northman
09-16-2008, 11:30 PM
That said, I like and appreciate the time Coach put into his rankings. It's his opinion. Remember that please.

As is everyone who may disagree with his opinion so please remember that. No one here has been out of line and we all appreciate what he does for the site. But as a writer in ANY format you will receive opinions that may differ from your own.

Lonestar
09-17-2008, 12:52 AM
NFL 2008 through games of September 15 Monday
HOME ADVANTAGE= 3.21 RATING W L T SCHEDL(RANK) VS top 10 | VS top 16 | ELO_CHESS | PURE POINTS
1 New England Patriots = 29.64 2 0 0 16.69( 25) 0 0 0 | 0 0 0 | 33.22 1 | 28.14 1
2 New York Giants = 26.86 2 0 0 16.09( 28) 0 0 0 | 1 0 0 | 27.12 3 | 26.55 3
3 Dallas Cowboys = 26.42 2 0 0 19.53( 18) 1 0 0 | 1 0 0 | 26.46 4 | 26.30 5
4 Indianapolis Colts = 25.42 1 1 0 22.32( 10) 0 1 0 | 1 1 0 | 27.48 2 | 23.92 10
5 Chicago Bears = 25.41 1 1 0 27.60( 1) 1 0 0 | 1 1 0 | 24.33 8 | 26.69 2
6 Denver Broncos = 25.00 2 0 0 20.03( 15) 1 0 0 | 1 0 0 | 24.51 6 | 25.45 6
7 San Diego Chargers = 24.66 0 2 0 24.18( 6) 0 1 0 | 0 2 0 | 24.07 9 | 25.22 7
8 Green Bay Packers = 24.38 2 0 0 16.24( 27) 0 0 0 | 1 0 0 | 24.67 5 | 24.03 9
9 Philadelphia Eagles = 24.30 1 1 0 18.88( 20) 0 1 0 | 0 1 0 | 22.72 12 | 26.33 4
10 Pittsburgh Steelers = 23.89 2 0 0 15.89( 30) 0 0 0 | 0 0 0 | 24.39 7 | 23.34 12
HOME ADVANTAGE= 3.21 RATING W L T SCHEDL(RANK) VS top 10 | VS top 16 | ELO_CHESS | PURE POINTS
11 Tennessee Titans = 23.86 2 0 0 18.66( 21) 0 0 0 | 1 0 0 | 23.07 11 | 24.65 8
12 Carolina Panthers = 23.37 2 0 0 25.03( 4) 2 0 0 | 2 0 0 | 23.46 10 | 23.20 13
13 Buffalo Bills = 22.84 2 0 0 18.92( 19) 0 0 0 | 1 0 0 | 21.89 13 | 23.81 11
14 Jacksonville Jaguars = 21.68 0 2 0 23.35( 7) 0 0 0 | 0 2 0 | 21.28 15 | 22.01 14
15 Washington Redskins = 20.84 1 1 0 22.65( 8) 0 1 0 | 0 1 0 | 21.41 14 | 20.19 16
16 Minnesota Vikings = 19.22 0 2 0 24.90( 5) 0 2 0 | 0 2 0 | 17.82 20 | 20.49 15
17 Arizona Cardinals = 18.89 2 0 0 12.95( 31) 0 0 0 | 0 0 0 | 17.92 19 | 19.74 17
18 Tampa Bay Buccaneers = 18.68 1 1 0 16.57( 26) 0 0 0 | 0 0 0 | 17.51 21 | 19.70 18
19 Baltimore Ravens = 18.66 1 0 0 12.42( 32) 0 0 0 | 0 0 0 | 19.02 16 | 18.21 20
20 New Orleans Saints = 18.43 1 1 0 19.76( 16) 0 0 0 | 0 1 0 | 18.07 18 | 18.71 19
21 New York Jets = 18.20 1 1 0 20.99( 13) 0 1 0 | 0 1 0 | 18.34 17 | 17.98 21
22 Houston Texans = 17.02 0 1 0 27.09( 2) 0 1 0 | 0 1 0 | 17.41 22 | 16.52 22
23 Seattle Seahawks = 16.15 0 2 0 18.21( 23) 0 0 0 | 0 1 0 | 16.71 23 | 15.45 25
24 Cincinnati Bengals = 15.63 0 2 0 21.26( 12) 0 0 0 | 0 1 0 | 16.15 24 | 14.96 26
25 Oakland Raiders = 15.40 1 1 0 20.09( 14) 0 1 0 | 0 1 0 | 14.71 27 | 15.93 23
26 Kansas City Chiefs = 15.17 0 2 0 22.52( 9) 0 1 0 | 0 1 0 | 14.80 26 | 15.45 24
27 Cleveland Browns = 14.77 0 2 0 21.95( 11) 0 2 0 | 0 2 0 | 14.81 25 | 14.65 28
28 Atlanta Falcons = 14.71 1 1 0 15.96( 29) 0 0 0 | 0 0 0 | 14.63 28 | 14.71 27
29 San Francisco 49ers = 13.57 1 1 0 17.52( 24) 0 0 0 | 0 0 0 | 13.34 30 | 13.72 29
30 Detroit Lions = 13.25 0 2 0 19.55( 17) 0 1 0 | 0 1 0 | 13.61 29 | 12.76 30
31 Miami Dolphins = 12.33 0 2 0 18.55( 22) 0 0 0 | 0 0 0 | 12.51 32 | 12.06 31
32 St. Louis Rams = 11.34 0 2 0 25.58( 3) 0 2 0 | 0 2 0 | 12.54 31 | 9.12 32
__________________________________________________ _________________________
DIVISION CENTRAL MEAN SIMPLE AVERAGE TEAMS

1 (NFC EAST) = 24.86 24.60 ( 1) 4
2 (afc south) = 22.25 21.99 ( 2) 4
3 (NFC NORTH) = 20.98 20.57 ( 4) 4
4 (afc east) = 20.68 20.75 ( 3) 4
5 (afc west) = 20.05 20.06 ( 5) 4
6 (NFC SOUTH) = 18.72 18.80 ( 6) 4
7 (afc north) = 17.87 18.24 ( 7) 4
8 (NFC WEST) = 14.95 14.99 ( 8) 4

DIVISION CENTRAL MEAN SIMPLE AVERAGE TEAMS

1 (NFC EAST) = 24.86 24.60 ( 1) 4
3 (NFC NORTH) = 20.98 20.57 ( 4) 4
6 (NFC SOUTH) = 18.72 18.80 ( 6) 4
8 (NFC WEST) = 14.95 14.99 ( 8) 4
4 (afc east) = 20.68 20.75 ( 3) 4
7 (afc north) = 17.87 18.24 ( 7) 4
2 (afc south) = 22.25 21.99 ( 2) 4
5 (afc west) = 20.05 20.06 ( 5) 4
1 (NFC EAST) = 24.86 24.60 ( 1) TEAMS= 4
2 New York Giants = 26.86 2 0 0 16.09( 28) 0 0 0 | 1 0 0 | 27.12 3 | 26.55 3
3 Dallas Cowboys = 26.42 2 0 0 19.53( 18) 1 0 0 | 1 0 0 | 26.46 4 | 26.30 5
9 Philadelphia Eagles = 24.30 1 1 0 18.88( 20) 0 1 0 | 0 1 0 | 22.72 12 | 26.33 4
15 Washington Redskins = 20.84 1 1 0 22.65( 8) 0 1 0 | 0 1 0 | 21.41 14 | 20.19 16
__________________________________________________ ______________________

3 (NFC NORTH) = 20.98 20.57 ( 4) TEAMS= 4
5 Chicago Bears = 25.41 1 1 0 27.60( 1) 1 0 0 | 1 1 0 | 24.33 8 | 26.69 2
8 Green Bay Packers = 24.38 2 0 0 16.24( 27) 0 0 0 | 1 0 0 | 24.67 5 | 24.03 9
16 Minnesota Vikings = 19.22 0 2 0 24.90( 5) 0 2 0 | 0 2 0 | 17.82 20 | 20.49 15
30 Detroit Lions = 13.25 0 2 0 19.55( 17) 0 1 0 | 0 1 0 | 13.61 29 | 12.76 30
__________________________________________________ _________________________

6 (NFC SOUTH) = 18.72 18.80 ( 6) TEAMS= 4
12 Carolina Panthers = 23.37 2 0 0 25.03( 4) 2 0 0 | 2 0 0 | 23.46 10 | 23.20 13
18 Tampa Bay Buccaneers = 18.68 1 1 0 16.57( 26) 0 0 0 | 0 0 0 | 17.51 21 | 19.70 18
20 New Orleans Saints = 18.43 1 1 0 19.76( 16) 0 0 0 | 0 1 0 | 18.07 18 | 18.71 19
28 Atlanta Falcons = 14.71 1 1 0 15.96( 29) 0 0 0 | 0 0 0 | 14.63 28 | 14.71 27
__________________________________________________ ___________________

8 (NFC WEST) = 14.95 14.99 ( 8) TEAMS= 4
17 Arizona Cardinals = 18.89 2 0 0 12.95( 31) 0 0 0 | 0 0 0 | 17.92 19 | 19.74 17
23 Seattle Seahawks = 16.15 0 2 0 18.21( 23) 0 0 0 | 0 1 0 | 16.71 23 | 15.45 25
29 San Francisco 49ers = 13.57 1 1 0 17.52( 24) 0 0 0 | 0 0 0 | 13.34 30 | 13.72 29
32 St. Louis Rams = 11.34 0 2 0 25.58( 3) 0 2 0 | 0 2 0 | 12.54 31 | 9.12 32
__________________________________________________ ____________________

4 (afc east) = 20.68 20.75 ( 3) TEAMS= 4
1 New England Patriots = 29.64 2 0 0 16.69( 25) 0 0 0 | 0 0 0 | 33.22 1 | 28.14 1
13 Buffalo Bills = 22.84 2 0 0 18.92( 19) 0 0 0 | 1 0 0 | 21.89 13 | 23.81 11
21 New York Jets = 18.20 1 1 0 20.99( 13) 0 1 0 | 0 1 0 | 18.34 17 | 17.98 21
31 Miami Dolphins = 12.33 0 2 0 18.55( 22) 0 0 0 | 0 0 0 | 12.51 32 | 12.06 31
__________________________________________________ ____________________________

7 (afc north) = 17.87 18.24 ( 7) TEAMS= 4
10 Pittsburgh Steelers = 23.89 2 0 0 15.89( 30) 0 0 0 | 0 0 0 | 24.39 7 | 23.34 12
19 Baltimore Ravens = 18.66 1 0 0 12.42( 32) 0 0 0 | 0 0 0 | 19.02 16 | 18.21 20
24 Cincinnati Bengals = 15.63 0 2 0 21.26( 12) 0 0 0 | 0 1 0 | 16.15 24 | 14.96 26
27 Cleveland Browns = 14.77 0 2 0 21.95( 11) 0 2 0 | 0 2 0 | 14.81 25 | 14.65 28
__________________________________________________ ________________

2 (afc south) = 22.25 21.99 ( 2) TEAMS= 4
4 Indianapolis Colts = 25.42 1 1 0 22.32( 10) 0 1 0 | 1 1 0 | 27.48 2 | 23.92 10
11 Tennessee Titans = 23.86 2 0 0 18.66( 21) 0 0 0 | 1 0 0 | 23.07 11 | 24.65 8
14 Jacksonville Jaguars = 21.68 0 2 0 23.35( 7) 0 0 0 | 0 2 0 | 21.28 15 | 22.01 14
22 Houston Texans = 17.02 0 1 0 27.09( 2) 0 1 0 | 0 1 0 | 17.41 22 | 16.52 22________________________________________________ ____________

Lonestar
09-17-2008, 12:53 AM
5 (afc west) = 20.05 20.06 ( 5) TEAMS= 4
6 Denver Broncos = 25.00 2 0 0 20.03( 15) 1 0 0 | 1 0 0 | 24.51 6 | 25.45 6
7 San Diego Chargers = 24.66 0 2 0 24.18( 6) 0 1 0 | 0 2 0 | 24.07 9 | 25.22 7
25 Oakland Raiders = 15.40 1 1 0 20.09( 14) 0 1 0 | 0 1 0 | 14.71 27 | 15.93 23
26 Kansas City Chiefs

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/nfl08.htm

2008 Power Rankings: Week 3
RK (LW) TEAM REC COMMENT
1 (1) Cowboys 2-0-0 Survived a game against the Eagles that they easily could have lost. Now they just have to prepare for a showdown with the Packers. (MM)
2 (2) Steelers 2-0-0 The Steelers took control of the AFC North with a big win over Cleveland. Now it's time for Pittsburgh to prove it's one of the elite teams in the NFL with another big road game against Philadelphia. (JW)
3 (5) Giants 2-0-0 The Giants summarily dismissed the Rams, but that's not saying much. The Giants have found success in the post-Umenyiora era. (MM)
4 (7) Packers 2-0-0 They've feasted on two winless teams. Now the Packers face the biggest game of the young season: A home matchup against Dallas that should establish early NFC supremacy. (KS)
5 (6) Eagles 1-1-0 Valiant effort against the Cowboys by Donovan McNabb and the rest of his team. (MM)
6 (9) Patriots 2-0-0 They're still the AFC East team to beat even if they don't have superduperstar QB Tom Brady. Matt Cassel played it safe against the Jets, and that was good enough. They should be 3-0 with the Dolphins coming to Foxborough. (TG)
7 (8) Colts 1-1-0 Fortunate to be 1-1 and in position to drop Jacksonville to 0-3. Run game and run defense have to improve. (PK)
8 (12) Panthers 2-0-0 Undefeated without WR Steve Smith and only better as he comes back from a two-game suspension. Defense playing at best level in years. (PY)
9 (11) Titans 2-0-0 Last time the Titans started 2-0 was 1999, when they made their only Super Bowl appearance. Upcoming schedule is awfully friendly. (PK)
10 (13) Bills 2-0-0 The Bills scored 10 points in the fourth quarter in a comeback victory in the Jacksonville heat. They should be 3-0 after their home game against the reeling Raiders. (TG)
11 (19) Broncos 2-0-0 The Broncos might have been fortunate to beat San Diego, but there is nothing lucky about Denver's offense. It is a scoring machine. (BW)
12 (4) Saints 1-1-0 Looked a lot like the disappointing 2007 team against Washington after a strong opener. (PY)
13 (3) Chargers 0-2-0 The Chargers will not have it easy against the Brett Favre-led Jets on Monday night. But this is a must win if San Diego wants to salvage this season. (BW)
14 (21) Cardinals 2-0-0 Kurt Warner has put together consecutive starts without a turnover for the first time in a season since 2004. That makes the Cardinals a different team. (MS)
15 (15) Bears 1-1-0 There's no shame in losing at Carolina on a 100-degree day. The Bears' defense, at least, is for real. (KS)
16 (14) Jets 1-1-0 They had their chance to assert themselves as the new AFC East force but looked like they weren't ready for the mantle. Will have difficulty avoiding an 1-2 record Sunday at San Diego. (TG)
17 (20) Buccaneers 1-1-0 Looks like Brian Griese will stay as QB of the present and rely on strong defense. (PY)
18 (10) Jaguars 0-2-0 The run game is stalled, and interior line injuries may mean it can't get going. Can Jerry Porter get on the field and help create room? (PK)
19 (23) Redskins 1-1-0 Much-needed win against the Saints. Hopefully coach Jim Zorn can get things going again now that his team has seen how successful it can be. (MM)
20 (22) Ravens 1-0-0 An unexpected bye week allowed the Ravens to get healthy. But 15 consecutive games the rest of the way might catch up to them later in the season. (JW)
21 (16) Vikings 0-2-0 It's already apparent that Tarvaris Jackson isn't the quarterback they should have entrusted with a playoff-caliber team. (KS)
22 (17) Browns 0-2-0 An 0-2 start puts the Browns in an early hole. It's now or never for last year's Cinderella. (JW)
23 (18) Seahawks 0-2-0 The only thing better than a bye week for the banged-up Seahawks: a home game against the reeling Rams in Week 3. (MS)
24 (24) Texans 0-1-0 Coming off an unscheduled bye. Just 2-10 all-time against the Titans, a record that has to improve if they are to move up in the division. (PK)
25 (27) 49ers 1-1-0 The 49ers have new life on offense, but J.T. O'Sullivan has taken sacks on 23 percent of pass plays. (MS)
26 (25) Falcons 1-1-0 Matt Ryan found out it's not always going to be easy. Michael Turner found he can't rush for 220 yards each week (PY)
27 (30) Raiders 1-1-0 "The Darren McFadden Show" earned spectacular reviews against the Chiefs in Week 2. Oakland needs to keep letting the rookie show what he can do. (BW)
28 (26) Bengals 0-2-0 What's going on in Cincinnati? One offensive touchdown in two games from Carson Palmer, Chad Ocho Cinco and Co. is not going to cut it. (JW)
29 (31) Lions 0-2-0 They showed a little life in the second half against Green Bay. But only the Lions could give up 24 points in the final six minutes. (KS)
30 (28) Dolphins 0-2-0 They were thoroughly embarrassed in a 31-10 loss to the Cardinals. The Dolphins couldn't stop the pass and failed to muster any semblance of an offense. RBs Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown have been invisible. The WRs have been absent, too. (TG)
31 (29) Chiefs 0-2-0 The Chiefs might not have a whole lot of chances to win this season. They must take advantage of their chance Sunday at Atlanta.(BW)
32 (32) Rams 0-2-0 The offense has scored one touchdown in two games. The defense has given up nearly 1,000 yards. Not good. (MS)

CoachChaz
09-17-2008, 08:49 AM
1. I personally dont feel like I was ridiculed or berated. Different people have different ways of looking at things and if their reaction is to say something offensive based on that, then so be it. So, whether I was or wasnt ridiculed...I didnt feel that way, so no problem.

2. I like seeing these other power rankings. They pretty much prove that I'm not the only one that thinks SD is still a top team regardless of the first two games. If anything, I have Denver underrated as opposed having SD overrated.

3. When Pittsburgh plays an NFL team, I'll consider moving them up in the rankings

4. When NE loses, I'll move them down...but their schedule is so weak, they could still finish with 13 wins without Brady.

5. If you've come to the conclusion that I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing...even though it seems other writers feel similar...then ignore my rankings for the rest of the season. I could are less either way.

Thnikkaman
09-17-2008, 09:32 AM
Chaz, I thank you each week for your rankings. I really like looking at all of the different rankings through the week. Its a good temperature of where Denver sits among the rest of the nfl. I also know I couldn't do it, I don't have the time or patience to do so.

I also respect that you don't let peoples criticism of your picks sway your opinion. Keep em coming.