PDA

View Full Version : Check out @johnelway on Vic & Gary show (@VicLombardi @thegarymiller) at 8:00 MST. Fox should be main topic

Tned
01-14-2011, 08:14 AM
Don't forget that today is Elways normal time on 87.7 The Ticket (http://www.877theticket.com/) today at 8:00 MST.

You know the main topic will be about why the Broncos went with John Fox. Possibly addressing why they didn't do a round of second interviews, as originally expected.

If you listen, fill the rest of us in on any highlights.

chazoe60
01-14-2011, 10:30 AM
Did anyone listen to this? Can you give us an overview of what was said?

HORSEPOWER 56
01-14-2011, 10:47 AM
Elway said Rico was "ready" and it was a dead heat between him and Fox right down to the wire. He said the biggest selling points for Fox were his experience, energy, the fact that his players in Carolina loved him and always played hard for him, and that he was a defensive minded guy.

He threw out an interesting stat that I was unaware of. In the 9 years that Fox coached in Carolina, only 1 team has more takeaways... Pittsburgh. That's pretty damned impressive.

The asked Elway about Fox's staff and Elway said Fox was still there last night after Elways left working to put his staff together but he really doesn't know enough yet to give any answers. Said we should know more at Fox's noon presser.

Asked about McCoy staying on as the OC and Elway said he McCoy met with Fox last night, but he doesn't know if McCoy will be the guy or not.

That's pretty much all of what was talked about in "part 1" which is the only part posted right now.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-14-2011, 10:58 AM
Full interview now up - parts 1 & 2 - can listen at http://www.877theticket.com/page.php?page_id=60

Denver Native (Carol)
01-14-2011, 11:50 AM
Some of the conversation is now in print -

http://www.877theticket.com/page.php?page_id=59

On John Fox’s opinion of Tebow

He had spent some time with Tim before the draft last year, because they were looking at him. I’m sure John will talk about that today, be it’s the same thing I said. As far as a person, and his work ethic, and his leadership, and the qualities. John loved everything about him. Again, I think John thinks he’s a very good football player. I’ll let John speak for himself, but I think John’s excited about having Tim Tebow here.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-14-2011, 01:06 PM
Also, think the following was mentioned while John was on - Gary (who was at Dove Valley after the announcement), said something like after Tebow heard that Fox was the coach, he called and ask if it would be ok if he came there to talk with Fox, and was told yes.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-14-2011, 01:42 PM
In "part 2", they ask Elway about his Twitter usage. Elway likes to use it because he said they nobody can twist his words.

Elway says Broncos doing Hard Knocks is unlikely because they'd rather focus on winning games.

Vic and Gary asked about switching back to the 4-3 defense and he said it was discussed with Fox and Fox can (and has) coach either and that it can go "either way". The "flexibility" of Fox's background to go with either a 3 or 4 man front was another big factor in his hiring.

They asked Elway how involved he'll be in off-season stuff like the Combine and Senior bowl and Elway says he's excited and plans to attend "all of that stuff" and that getting back to football is exactly why he wanted this job. He also admits there are things he doesn't know and that he's learning.

Elway confirmed the unknown guy in the interviews (sitting next to Xanders in the interviews) was in fact the headhunter/psychologist that they brought in to get a fresh perspective on each candidate.

Elway said that John Fox will be "right in the middle" of all of the personnel decisions and that it will be a concensus format. Said they discussed it in the interview and Fox is onboard with it.

Discussed the interview process with the candidates and Elway elaborated on the things they asked and talked about (prior experience, their goals for the team, how they run practice and TC, current players evaluations, etc).

Talked about Mike Mularkey and that he respected his decision not to interview at the time.

Talked about how Elway likes his current job.

Joked with Elway about picking "Elway's" over "Shanahan's" or Casa Bonita for dinner with Fox. :D

That's pretty much it. Some good info, but still a little vague...;)