PDA

View Full Version : 4-3/3-4/Tampa 2

Dapper Dan
01-13-2011, 09:51 PM
Can anyone find a list of teams that run the 3-4, Tampa 2, and 4-3 defenses? Also, can you explain the difference of how the Tampa 2 is different than a normal 4-3? Is there really any other big techniques out there?

Denver Native (Carol)
01-13-2011, 10:41 PM
I don't know about any of the particulars of any of those. However, on the fan this afternoon, Stink was saying that many times he and Alfred discussed the fact that the Broncos had players on defense this year which fit the 4-3 much better than the 3-4. So possibly the problem on defense was not lack of talent, but the scheme they were playing.

SpringsBroncoFan
01-13-2011, 10:49 PM
For the 3-4 I believe there are 13 teams, if you go to ESPN and check the depth chart tab, it tells you what the team runs. I've probably seen a list but forget where... :shocked:

Here's a couple links that describe the 3-4 & Tampa... If you look at the bottom of the NY Times article you'll see links to the other parts of the series...

http://tucsoncitizen.com/wildaboutazcats/2010/11/12/arizonas-key-to-victory-vs-usc-solving-tampa-2-defense/

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/06/guide-to-n-f-l-defenses-part-1/

Enjoy...

red98
01-13-2011, 10:56 PM
Can anyone find a list of teams that run the 3-4, Tampa 2, and 4-3 defenses? Also, can you explain the difference of how the Tampa 2 is different than a normal 4-3? Is there really any other big techniques out there?

That would be a long explanation. I'd like to see it though.

Wade Phillips 3/4 is different from Rex Ryan's 3/4. Everyone uses cover 2 but not the "Tampa 2". Also you left out the "zone-blitz" scheme used in PIT from a 3/4 alignment. Though Perry Fewell ran some of this from the 4/3 alignment with the Giants. Then there's the PHI defense, an attacking 4/3 and...

Really the alignment doesn't matter, 4/3 or 3/4. What matters is what fits what you want to do as a defense.

SpringsBroncoFan
01-13-2011, 10:57 PM
Yeah, except for that OTH NT we brought in that gets blown 4 yards off the ball and paid 5 million for! :eek:

Edit: that was for Carol above, I hit the quote button but the text went to never never land...

Dapper Dan
01-14-2011, 05:03 PM
From what I've seen..
4-3 is better against the run.
3-4 offers a better pass rush.
Tampa 2 offers a better pass coverage.

I guess it really depends on personnel.

Bosco
02-04-2011, 07:34 PM
Can anyone find a list of teams that run the 3-4, Tampa 2, and 4-3 defenses? There are fifteen 3-4 teams, fifteen 4-3 teams and two hybrids. The two hybrids are Arizona and New Orleans.

Also, can you explain the difference of how the Tampa 2 is different than a normal 4-3? Is there really any other big techniques out there? The 4-3 is a defensive alignment. The Tampa 2 is a coverage scheme that drops a LB into coverage between the two deep zones, essentially turning it into Cover 3. You can, technically, run the Tampa 2 out of any defensive formation, although I don't know of many teams who do and the Tampa 2 is universally linked to the 4-3.

Wade Phillips 3/4 is different from Rex Ryan's 3/4. Exactly. You have one gapping 3-4 defenses like what Wade Phillips and Dick Lebeau run, and then you have the two gaps, which is basically every other 3-4 defense.

Juriga72
02-09-2011, 11:55 AM
From what I've seen..
3-4 offers a better pass rush.
Tampa 2 offers a better pass coverage.

A couple of things.....
4 out of the 5 best run d's this year....3-4 (Chicago Tampa-2 other)

ONLY 2 out of the top 5 pass d's were the 3-4

3 out of 5 "most sacks" 3-4 teams....

What works best is the players you have.... a great defense is great cause they are REALLY good...LOL

The Tampa-2 is probably the best pass defense out there... YES it gives up a ton of yards in small increments. They were the only ones who stopped Rodgers this year. His three games against Chicago's Tampa-2??? IF the CB's make that first tackle its a great defense, and thats what Chicago has....very good tacklers.

Guess what happens when they dont tackle??? See the New england game....

2 td passes 4 picks..... the only game UNDER 113 qb rating in the playoffs? Chicago and he had a 55.4 VERY Orton like

missingnumber7
03-01-2011, 01:37 PM
No one runs a true Tampa 2 anymore. Everyone has a different variation of it. Its Monte Kiffin's Defense. People have taken the things they like about it away and made it their own. If we switch to the 4-3 with a Tampa 2 style there is a MLB who knows the system very well. Mays played college ball for Craig Bohl who coached DB's for Kiffin at Nebraska. They ran the same Tampa 2 that Kiffin put in in Tampa.

West
03-08-2011, 01:33 AM
From what I've seen..
3-4 offers a better pass rush.Tampa 2 offers a better pass coverage.

Absolutely not.

HammeredOut
05-09-2011, 05:36 PM

Tampa 2 system, and the Bill Bates 4-3 system.

rcsodak
05-09-2011, 05:53 PM
Absolutely not.
What valuable input!

Only in Westy fashion. Lol

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-09-2011, 08:27 PM
Doesn't Indy still run the Tampa 2?

Bosco
05-16-2011, 02:56 PM
Doesn't Indy still run the Tampa 2?

At times. They've moved away from it some with Dungy leaving and Coyer being given more control over the schemes, but they still it when it fits them.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-16-2011, 03:03 PM
At times. They've moved away from it some with Dungy leaving and Coyer being given more control over the schemes, but they still it when it fits them.

Coyer....he was not given a fair shake here. We made a huge mistake when we let him go. :tsk:

Bosco
05-16-2011, 03:07 PM
Coyer....he was not given a fair shake here. We made a huge mistake when we let him go. :tsk:

Tell me about it. That guy's defenses where always greater than the sum of it's parts and Coyer did that while constantly having to change his scheme to fit whatever dumb**** ideas Shanahan had on defensive personnel. It was almost as bad as the whole Bates/Slowik debacle in 2007.

rcsodak
05-16-2011, 03:12 PM
Tell me about it. That guy's defenses where always greater than the sum of it's parts and Coyer did that while constantly having to change his scheme to fit whatever dumb**** ideas Shanahan had on defensive personnel. It was almost as bad as the whole Bates/Slowik debacle in 2007.

Makes ya wonder how good he could've been had shanny deferred his dafting to people in the know.

Bosco
05-16-2011, 03:19 PM
Makes ya wonder how good he could've been had shanny deferred his dafting to people in the know.

Would have greatly helped the offense too.

underrated29
05-16-2011, 03:22 PM

Disagree. I see it like the champ portis trade. What we did was right. The person we picked to replace them was not....(bates/tatum bell)

Coyer- Predictable, NON ADJUSTING, any good passing team will chew the team apart. 100%- hands down. And often times it was the slot wr...he would own us in everyway possible. With our guys on little zones and such. How many 3rd/4th quarter leads did the broncos blow the last 2 years he was our DC? I do not know the number but I remember watching all these games and just praying we didnt blow it and lose...The raiders, falcons, bengals, steelers are games I can think of off the top of my head...might be more- imo there are..

I do not think coyers defenses are very good. Hell, the last 2 years we, the broncos, have lost to indy by 1 td in both games and had a shot right until the very end. Coyer is over rated and old. Sure he is head and shoulders above what we replaced him with. But had we gotten a proper dc in the beginning I think we would not even be talking about it. I am not a coyer fan.

rcsodak
05-16-2011, 03:24 PM
Would have greatly helped the offense too.
Undoubtedly. Elway said having a good defense saved him from pressing, early on, and the pressure of having to score 30+pts/game.

rcsodak
05-16-2011, 03:27 PM
Disagree. I see it like the champ portis trade. What we did was right. The person we picked to replace them was not....(bates/tatum bell)

Coyer- Predictable, NON ADJUSTING, any good passing team will chew the team apart. 100%- hands down. And often times it was the slot wr...he would own us in everyway possible. With our guys on little zones and such. How many 3rd/4th quarter leads did the broncos blow the last 2 years he was our DC? I do not know the number but I remember watching all these games and just praying we didnt blow it and lose...The raiders, falcons, bengals, steelers are games I can think of off the top of my head...might be more- imo there are..

I do not think coyers defenses are very good. Hell, the last 2 years we, the broncos, have lost to indy by 1 td in both games and had a shot right until the very end. Coyer is over rated and old. Sure he is head and shoulders above what we replaced him with. But had we gotten a proper dc in the beginning I think we would not even be talking about it. I am not a coyer fan.

Wasn't unemployed for very long for being so sucky, 29. ;)

underrated29
05-16-2011, 03:36 PM
Wasn't unemployed for very long for being so sucky, 29. ;)

same could be said for josh mcdaniels.....just sayin;)

rcsodak
05-16-2011, 03:49 PM
same could be said for josh mcdaniels.....just sayin;)
Apples to donuts......just sayin ;)

Bosco
05-16-2011, 04:11 PM
Coyer- Predictable, NON ADJUSTING Yeah, that's bullshit. Seems to be a pretty boilerplate cliche' as well.

Fact: 95% of fans are not knowledgeable enough to spot defensive adjustments from a TV broadcast.

slim
05-16-2011, 05:49 PM
Yeah, that's bullshit. Seems to be a pretty boilerplate cliche' as well.

Fact: 95% of fans are not knowledgeable enough to spot defensive adjustments from a TV broadcast.

Fact: your stated "fact" is not a fact.

Ravage!!!
05-16-2011, 07:35 PM
Fact: your stated "fact" is not a fact.

Some aren't quite sure what facts are.

MOtorboat
06-14-2011, 06:31 PM
Thought this was an interesting thread, so I tried to come up with a list with the coach's particular scheme:

Team Coordinator Base Scheme Coaching Tree
Buffalo Bills George Edwards 4-3 3-Gap, Speedy, Cover-2 Jimmy Johnson/Dave Wannstedt/Joe Gibbs
Miami Dolphins Mike Nolan 3-4 2-Gap, Read and React, Man Coverage Dan Reeves/Brian Billick/Bill Walsh
New England Patriots Bill Belichick 3-4 2-Gap, Aggressive, Man Coverage Bill Parcells
New York Jets Mike Pettine 3-4 2-Gap, Aggressive, Zone Blitz Bill Walsh/Dennis Green/Brian Billick
Baltimore Ravens Chuck Pagano 3-4 2-Gap, Aggressive, Man Coverage Butch Davis/John Harbough
Cincinnati Bengals Mike Zimmer 4-3 3-Gap, Speedy, Cover-2 Barry Switzer
Cleveland Browns Dick Jauron 4-3 3-Gap, Read and React, Cover-2 Marv Levy/Tom Coughlin
Pittsburgh Steelers Dick LeBeau 3-4 2-Gap, Aggressive, Zone Blitz Dick LeBeau
Houston Texans Wade Phillips 3-4 1-Gap, Aggressive, Zone Blitz Dan Reeves
Indianapolis Colts Larry Coyer 4-3 3-Gap, Read and React, Cover-2 Bill Walsh/Mike Shanahan
Jacksonville Jaguars Mel Tucker 4-3 3-Gap, Speedy, Aggressive, Cover-2 Jack Del Rio
Tennessee Titans Jerry Gray 4-3 3-Gap, Speedy, Aggressive, Cover-2 Jeff Fisher/Gregg Williams
Denver Bronco Dennis Allen 4-3 3-Gap, Speedy, Aggressive, Cover-2 Sean Payton/Gregg Williams
Kansas City Chiefs Romeo Crennel 3-4 2-Gap, Aggressive, Man Coverage Bill Parcells/Bill Belichick
Oakland Raiders Chuck Bresnahan 4-3 3-Gap, Speedy, Cover-2 Marvin Lewis
San Diego Chargers Greg Manusky 3-4 2-Gap, Read and React, Man Coverage Mike Singletary
Dallas Cowboys Rob Ryan 3-4 2-Gap, Aggressive, Man Coverage Bill Belichick/Romeo Crennel
New York Giants Perry Fewell 4-3 3-Gap, Read and React, Cover-2 Lovie Smith/Dick Jauron
Philadelphia Eagles Juan Castillo 4-3 3-Gap, Read and React, Cover-2 Andy Reid
Washington Redskins Jim Haslett 4-3 2-Gap, Aggressive, Man Coverage Bill Cowher
Chicago Bears Rod Marinelli 4-3 3-Gap, Read and React, Cover-2 Tony Dungy
Detroit Lions G. Cunningham 3-4 3-Gap, Speedy, Aggressive, Man Coverage Marty Schottenheimer
Green Bay Packers Dom Capers 3-4 2-Gap, Aggressive, Man Coverage Bill Cowher
Minnesota Vikings Fred Pagac 4-3 3-Gap, Speedy, Aggressive, Man Coverage Herm Edwards/Brad Childress
Atlanta Falcons Brian VanGorder 4-3 3-Gap, Read and React, Cover-2 Mark Richt
Carolina Panthers Sean McDermott 4-3 3-Gap, Read and React, Cover-2 Andy Reid
New Orleans Saints Gregg Williams 4-3 3-Gap, Speedy, Aggressive, Cover-2 Jeff Fisher
Tampa Bay Buccaneers Raheem Morris 4-3 1-Gap, Read and React, Tampa 2 Jon Gruden
Arizona Cardinals Ray Horton 3-4 2-Gap, Aggressive, Zone Blitz Dick LeBeau
St. Louis Rams Ken Flajole 4-3 3-Gap, Speedy, Aggressive, Cover-2 Mike Holmgren/John Fox
San Francisco 49ers Vic Fangio 3-4 1-Gap, Aggressive, Zone Blitz Dom Capers/Jim Harbough/John Harbaugh
Seattle Seahawks Casey Bradley 4-3 3-Gap, Read and React, Cover-2 Jon Gruden/Pete Carroll

Always open for corrections. This is just me scouring the internet for schemes and coaching trees, so I'm sure there's something wrong on there. Plus, a few teams that we don't know exactly what they are going to run yet for certain.

BroncoJoe
06-14-2011, 06:35 PM
Thought this was an interesting thread, so I tried to come up with a list with the coach's particular scheme:

Team Coordinator Base Scheme Coaching Tree
Buffalo Bills George Edwards 4-3 3-Gap, Speedy, Cover-2 Jimmy Johnson/Dave Wannstedt/Joe Gibbs
Miami Dolphins Mike Nolan 3-4 2-Gap, Read and React, Man Coverage Dan Reeves/Brian Billick/Bill Walsh
New England Patriots Bill Belichick 3-4 2-Gap, Aggressive, Man Coverage Bill Parcells
New York Jets Mike Pettine 3-4 2-Gap, Aggressive, Zone Blitz Bill Walsh/Dennis Green/Brian Billick
Baltimore Ravens Chuck Pagano 3-4 2-Gap, Aggressive, Man Coverage Butch Davis/John Harbough
Cincinnati Bengals Mike Zimmer 4-3 3-Gap, Speedy, Cover-2 Barry Switzer
Cleveland Browns Dick Jauron 4-3 3-Gap, Read and React, Cover-2 Marv Levy/Tom Coughlin
Pittsburgh Steelers Dick LeBeau 3-4 2-Gap, Aggressive, Zone Blitz Dick LeBeau
Houston Texans Wade Phillips 3-4 1-Gap, Aggressive, Zone Blitz Dan Reeves
Indianapolis Colts Larry Coyer 4-3 3-Gap, Read and React, Cover-2 Bill Walsh/Mike Shanahan
Jacksonville Jaguars Mel Tucker 4-3 3-Gap, Speedy, Aggressive, Cover-2 Jack Del Rio
Tennessee Titans Jerry Gray 4-3 3-Gap, Speedy, Aggressive, Cover-2 Jeff Fisher/Gregg Williams
Denver Bronco Dennis Allen 4-3 3-Gap, Speedy, Aggressive, Cover-2 Sean Payton/Gregg Williams
Kansas City Chiefs Romeo Crennel 3-4 2-Gap, Aggressive, Man Coverage Bill Parcells/Bill Belichick
Oakland Raiders Chuck Bresnahan 4-3 3-Gap, Speedy, Cover-2 Marvin Lewis
San Diego Chargers Greg Manusky 3-4 2-Gap, Read and React, Man Coverage Mike Singletary
Dallas Cowboys Rob Ryan 3-4 2-Gap, Aggressive, Man Coverage Bill Belichick/Romeo Crennel
New York Giants Perry Fewell 4-3 3-Gap, Read and React, Cover-2 Lovie Smith/Dick Jauron
Philadelphia Eagles Juan Castillo 4-3 3-Gap, Read and React, Cover-2 Andy Reid
Washington Redskins Jim Haslett 4-3 2-Gap, Aggressive, Man Coverage Bill Cowher
Chicago Bears Rod Marinelli 4-3 3-Gap, Read and React, Cover-2 Tony Dungy
Detroit Lions G. Cunningham 3-4 3-Gap, Speedy, Aggressive, Man Coverage Marty Schottenheimer
Green Bay Packers Dom Capers 3-4 2-Gap, Aggressive, Man Coverage Bill Cowher
Minnesota Vikings Fred Pagac 4-3 3-Gap, Speedy, Aggressive, Man Coverage Herm Edwards/Brad Childress
Atlanta Falcons Brian VanGorder 4-3 3-Gap, Read and React, Cover-2 Mark Richt
Carolina Panthers Sean McDermott 4-3 3-Gap, Read and React, Cover-2 Andy Reid
New Orleans Saints Gregg Williams 4-3 3-Gap, Speedy, Aggressive, Cover-2 Jeff Fisher
Tampa Bay Buccaneers Raheem Morris 4-3 1-Gap, Read and React, Tampa 2 Jon Gruden
Arizona Cardinals Ray Horton 3-4 2-Gap, Aggressive, Zone Blitz Dick LeBeau
St. Louis Rams Ken Flajole 4-3 3-Gap, Speedy, Aggressive, Cover-2 Mike Holmgren/John Fox
San Francisco 49ers Vic Fangio 3-4 1-Gap, Aggressive, Zone Blitz Dom Capers/Jim Harbough/John Harbaugh
Seattle Seahawks Casey Bradley 4-3 3-Gap, Read and React, Cover-2 Jon Gruden/Pete Carroll

Always open for corrections. This is just me scouring the internet for schemes and coaching trees, so I'm sure there's something wrong on there. Plus, a few teams that we don't know exactly what they are going to run yet for certain.

Mo, you have WAY too much time on your hands.