PDA

View Full Version : Cam Newton declares for NFL draft

Denver Native (Carol)
01-13-2011, 09:22 PM
AUBURN, Ala. -- Heisman Trophy winner Cam Newton will skip his senior season and enter the NFL draft.

Auburn released a statement Thursday night announcing the quarterback's decision. Newton led the Tigers to their first national title since 1957 and a 14-0 season with a 22-19 victory over Oregon on Monday night in his lone season.

Newton says Auburn is somewhere he can "always call home." Newton is projected as a first-rounder after winning several national player of the year awards.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/news/story?id=6019964

OrangeHoof
01-14-2011, 01:07 AM
I doubt he could have kept his eligibility much longer. He'll either be the next Randall Cunningham or the next JaMarcus Russell.

chazoe60
01-14-2011, 01:10 AM
Well, he's been playing professionally for at least a year so it's no surprise.

This will be his second signing bonus.

Buff
01-14-2011, 01:11 AM
Good, maybe Carolina will take him at #1 and let Fairley and Bowers fall to us so we can have our pick.

OrangeHoof
01-14-2011, 10:36 AM
I'll give Newton this. His passes look better than your typical "running quarterback". Good spiral. Natural throwing motion and good distance. Better mechanics than Vince Young or Tim Tebow. I don't think he's had much development as a thrower or with reading defenses and that will be the big challenge for him at the next level but the tools are there if somebody is able to coach him up for the position.

That's why he may be a total bust like Russell or a decade-long starter like Cunningham (whose throwing motion never looked smooth but it was effective).

BroncoWave
01-14-2011, 10:41 AM
I don't get how anyone could even mention Russell in the same sentence as Newton. I missed where Newton was fat, lazy, and out of shape. If Newton fails it won't be for any of the reasons that Russell did.