PDA

View Full Version : Analysis: Broncos' choice for head coach may be a matter of money

Denver Native (Carol)
01-13-2011, 02:35 PM
Wednesday, after more than a few weather issues in North Carolina, John Fox became the fifth candidate to interview to be the Broncos' next head coach.

Fox is the most experienced candidate, having been a head coach in the NFL for nine seasons. He's been to the postseason three times in those nine years and to the Super Bowl once.

The former Carolina Panthers coach will also be the most expensive candidate, having just made $6 million in his last season with the Panthers.

Broncos president Joe Ellis, who coordinates the budgets on all things Broncos for team owner Pat Bowlen, has said money won't the guiding principle in hiring a new head coach, that the Broncos will try to get the best man for the job, no matter the cost.

Still, the buzz around the NFL is that the Broncos, with $3.5 million committed to Mike Shanahan this year and with a multimillion-dollar settlement having been paid to Josh McDaniels, aren't looking to be in the high-rent district to pay their next head coach.

Several NFL team executives contacted this week expected the Broncos to be more in line with what Carolina is going to pay Ron Rivera, Fox's successor. Rivera was a longtime coordinator in the NFL who had never been a head coach in the league.

The Panthers signed Rivera to a four-year contract worth about $11.2 million, less than half the money per season coaches such as Shanahan, Bill Belichick, Jeff Fisher and Pete Carroll will earn.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17079090?source=rss

oubronco
01-13-2011, 02:36 PM
Broncos president Joe Ellis, who coordinates the budgets on all things Broncos for team owner Pat Bowlen, has said money won't the guiding principle in hiring a new head coach, that the Broncos will try to get the best man for the job, no matter the cost.

There you go

BroncoStud
01-13-2011, 02:39 PM
So our list of coaching candidates is pathetic because the Broncos are committed to paying Shanahan and McDumbass this year as well...

So money is the reason we are deadset on mediocrity! Whew! I was worried that John was just picking the guys he liked best. This actually does explain some of it.

You get what you pay for.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-13-2011, 02:41 PM
From Adam Schefter:

RT @Kev_Powers: Honest opinion on Pat Shurmur hire? ... Sometimes low-profile hires turn out better than high-profile ones. Who's his QB? less than 10 seconds ago via ÜberTwitter

http://twitter.com/adamschefter

BroncoStud
01-13-2011, 02:43 PM
From Adam Schefter:

RT @Kev_Powers: Honest opinion on Pat Shurmur hire? ... Sometimes low-profile hires turn out better than high-profile ones. Who's his QB? less than 10 seconds ago via ÜberTwitter

http://twitter.com/adamschefter

Sometimes they don't.

slim
01-13-2011, 02:48 PM
So I guess we have reached the conclusion that hiring a coach is a crap-shoot?

Nice work, boys.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-13-2011, 02:53 PM
Sometimes they don't.

That's why Schefter said "sometimes they do", rather than saying "always"

Denver Native (Carol)
01-13-2011, 03:11 PM
So I guess we have reached the conclusion that hiring a coach is a crap-shoot?

Nice work, boys.

The sportswriter said "may be a matter of money" in thread title. This is the sportswriter's opinion - could end up this way - may not end up this way.

Day1BroncoFan
01-13-2011, 03:14 PM
If hiring a head coach is a crap shoot then we just rolled snake eyes on the come out.

I hope we don't do it again.

I hope we roll a seven this time on the come out.

That is all.

slim
01-13-2011, 03:20 PM
I don't really know how to play craps.

Day1BroncoFan
01-13-2011, 03:22 PM
I don't really know how to play craps.

I love playing craps, don't get me started.

Snake eyes on the first roll (come out roll) is bad most of the time. Seven on the come out is good most of the time. It depends on what your bet is and who is rolling the dice.

:D

BroncoJoe
01-13-2011, 03:25 PM
It depends on what your bet is and who is rolling the dice.

:D

Exactly.