PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' two sixth-round picks symbolic of their recent personnel blunders

TXBRONC
01-13-2011, 11:31 AM
For what it's worth:

Q&A: Broncos' two sixth-round picks symbolic of their recent personnel blunders
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 01/13/2011 01:00:00 AM MST

Q: I keep reading articles about us only having six picks in the 2011 draft, but we received an undisclosed pick from Detroit in the Alphonso Smith trade along with tight end Dan Gronkowski. With the season being over now, do we know what round it is in?

A: Derek, the Broncos — after a flurry of trades, most of which have involved draft picks, over the past two years — have just those six picks remaining for the 2011 draft.

They have a pick in the first (second overall), two in the second, a third-round pick and two sixth-round picks. The sixth-round picks were each acquired in a trade.

One of the sixth-round picks came in the deal that sent cornerback Smith to the Lions for Gronkowski

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17078973

Buff
01-13-2011, 11:37 AM
We suck at the footballs.

TXBRONC
01-13-2011, 11:39 AM

Right now we sure do but the optimist in me believes that Denver will get turned around sooner rather than later.

SOCALORADO.
01-13-2011, 11:40 AM
Right now we sure do but the optimist in me believes that Denver will get turned around sooner rather than later.

http://broncotalk.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/joshmcdaniels4.jpg

TXBRONC
01-13-2011, 11:45 AM

Shanahan made a lot drafting mistakes over a 14 year career but McDaniels made even worse mistakes in less than two years. :tsk:

Krugan
01-13-2011, 11:46 AM
I guess this really depends if any of the picks made turn into anything.

The quinn, smith mess is pretty much a blunder that cant be erased, but there is still hope ayers and this past years picks go somewhere.

If the Oline is set, which im not sure of, and the recievers work out along with Tebow, then I guess blunder is abit of a heavy word.

Traveler
01-13-2011, 11:50 AM
Man! That article was hard to read. We sent a 1st to Seattle and they get a legitimate long term starter at Safety, we get nothing in return.

We also trade of 4th rounder to the Pats for a guy that was inactive for eight games-coaches decision, not injury- and get back a 6th rounder. To top it off the player we traded for won't be with the team for the upcoming season.

Makes me that much more disgusted with the FO, McDaniels, and Xanders. The FO because they gave way too much power to McDaniels.

McDaniels for being so cavalier with our draft choices.

Xanders for seemingly being so weak as GM to let this happen. Xanders can throw McDaniels under the bus all he wants, but his hands aren't clean in any of this mess.

TXBRONC
01-13-2011, 11:57 AM
Man! That article was hard to read. We sent a 1st to Seattle and they get a legitimate long term starter at Safety, we get nothing in return.

We also trade of 4th rounder to the Pats for a guy that was inactive for eight games-coaches decision, not injury- and get back a 6th rounder. To top it off the player we traded for won't be with the team for the upcoming season.

Makes me that much more disgusted with the FO, McDaniels, and Xanders. The FO because they gave way too much power to McDaniels.

McDaniels for being so cavalier with our draft choices.

Xanders for seemingly being so weak as GM to let this happen. Xanders can throw McDaniels under the bus all he wants, but his hands aren't clean in any of this mess.

Worse yet he did it multiple times in less than two years.

turftoad
01-13-2011, 12:00 PM

Makes me want to punch my screen. :mad:

Grover
01-13-2011, 12:23 PM

Yes, but (he said, reaching out for positives), we have as of right now the 2nd, 36th, 46th and 67th picks in the upcoming draft.

If we can use those picks wisely we have a great opportunity to turn things around in 2011.

Xanders has shown he can pick good players from the previous draft, using his amazing powers of 20-20 hindsight (Matthews, Orakpo); so let's hope he's equally as good going forward.

silkamilkamonico
01-13-2011, 12:59 PM
I really thought with McDaniels and the Patriot way we were getting a guy who would covet building through the draft and continuing to rehash unneeded players to acquire more draft picks, not actually throw away draft picks to acquire unneeded players.

jhildebrand
01-13-2011, 01:52 PM
Maroney for a 4th is great value!!!!

That's what I was told :rolleyes:

TXBRONC
01-13-2011, 01:54 PM
Maroney for a 4th is great value!!!!

That's what I was told :rolleyes:

Absolutely. We got him so that he could be deactivated for 10 weeks. That's getting more bang for your buck.

zbeg
01-13-2011, 02:27 PM
Shanahan made a lot drafting mistakes over a 14 year career but McDaniels made even worse mistakes in less than two years. :tsk:

Isn't it a little premature to say that? The 2010 draft for example could end up being quite good. Tebow, DT, Beadles, Walton, Decker, and Syd'Quan Thompson have all shown in varying degrees that they can play.

Given that it takes about 3 years to figure out if a draft class is any good, why are we writing off the 2010 class already?

(I realize that doesn't fit in the narrative of "OMG JOSH MCNDANEISL WORST GM GUY EVEAR" and certainly the guy made mistakes with personnel, but let's not get carried away here.)

BroncoWave
01-13-2011, 02:33 PM
Isn't it a little premature to say that? The 2010 draft for example could end up being quite good. Tebow, DT, Beadles, Walton, Decker, and Syd'Quan Thompson have all shown in varying degrees that they can play.

Given that it takes about 3 years to figure out if a draft class is any good, why are we writing off the 2010 class already?

(I realize that doesn't fit in the narrative of "OMG JOSH MCNDANEISL WORST GM GUY EVEAR" and certainly the guy made mistakes with personnel, but let's not get carried away here.)

Good post. Some people will never give McD a single ounce of credit for anything he did positive in Denver. Even the 09 draft class isn't dead yet. Moreno and Ayers each showed promise this year when healthy, and Bruton and McBath haven't really had a chance to show much other than on ST with the guys in the secondary we have ahead of them.

Yeah, Phonz and Quinn were busts, but those are the only 2 picks you can really 100% call busts at this point.

WARHORSE
01-13-2011, 02:41 PM
Dont worry everyone. Kyle Orton is gonna bring us a Herschel Walker cache of picks that will replentish the bare cupboards of our draft board.

:coffee:

(cough*cough)

BigDaddyBronco
01-13-2011, 02:47 PM
Good post. Some people will never give McD a single ounce of credit for anything he did positive in Denver. Even the 09 draft class isn't dead yet. Moreno and Ayers each showed promise this year when healthy, and Bruton and McBath haven't really had a chance to show much other than on ST with the guys in the secondary we have ahead of them.

Yeah, Phonz and Quinn were busts, but those are the only 2 picks you can really 100% call busts at this point.

Heck, McD's drafts were better than Shanny's 2003 and 2004 drafts. Yikes!

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=1400&type=team

slim
01-13-2011, 02:51 PM

Sweet jeebus, look at the 2003 draft.

It's like they weren't even trying.

cardoso
01-13-2011, 03:06 PM

More like Mcdaniels sucks and should never be a head coach in the NFL again without someone baby sitting him.

TXBRONC
01-13-2011, 04:18 PM

No it's not premature by any means. If you didn't read the rest of the article then missed it. Because it's not just about the players that he actually took it also about the picks that he traded away with absolutely nothing to show for except utter failure. It's far from getting carried away to mention that he traded a 1st pick to move up in the second round of '09 draft. The Seahawks with 1st round McDaniels traded to them took a safety that looks like a long term starter for them while guy took in the 2nd round pick was trade away after one year. What did we get in return? A 6th round pick and a tight end that was on a practice squad the year before. This year what McDaniels do he traded a 4th pick for running back that was inactive for most of the season and 6th pick. At the end of day we 6 picks for this draft and huge hole in middle of our draft. And you're telling me that's getting carried away? I don't think so.

TXBRONC
01-13-2011, 04:22 PM

If you read article it's not just about the players he took.

dunk7
01-13-2011, 10:44 PM
Let's just hope wherever the boy genius goes, he'll be able to give us a second rounder for Orton or a first for Tebow.